Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Imagine you had Rand Paul as a neighbor for a number of years, and then think what levels of personal violence that could drive you to.

:lol:

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
What I don't understand is how Rand Paul, as a Libertarian, could simultaneously maintain his crusade against the petty tyranny of government, while the petty tyranny of his HOA is so dreadful that he feels compelled to completely ignore it. You would think that when a private-sector alternative to government beats up a Libertarian for noncompliance, that could be taken as evidence that less government does not mean less tyranny.

In fact, is it possible that Libertarianism is bullshit? :thunk:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

What I don't understand is how Rand Paul, as a Libertarian, could simultaneously maintain his crusade against the petty tyranny of government, while the petty tyranny of his HOA is so dreadful that he feels compelled to completely ignore it. You would think that when a private-sector alternative to government beats up a Libertarian for noncompliance, that could be taken as evidence that less government does not mean less tyranny.

Yes.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
libertarianism is what you get when you combine high privilege with low competence

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

When I was doing my work study job in college they hired a full-time worker to work evenings with me and the other late shift people since students weren't allowed do stuff for student and faculty accounts due to insurance. The guy was a libertarian. For a while he tried to convince me that companies could provide different water from different providers, like electricity, and you could chose a lower quality if you wanted to. I didn't even bother pointing out that this just meant that the poor would get hosed, but I did tell him that they would have to run a parallel piping system for each provider. His response was "no they wouldn't" with no elaboration when pressed.

He then got it into his head that since he was a full-time worker that meant he was my boss. I would refuse to do tasks he told me to do because he was, in fact, not my boss and I was not going to do his work for him, or do tasks I was responsible for when he decided instead of when I decided. He got so upset about this that I told him to ask my actual boss whether or not he was my boss. He informed me the next day that he was not my boss and looked dejected. My actual boss and I had a good laugh about it.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

american libertarians are too stupid to recognize the existence of private tyranny

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The fact that rand paul himself hasn't said anything about it, suggests he knows exactly why he was attacked, and it doesn't make him look good. If it was unprompted, he would be crowing to high heaven about it.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Saying its 'just over grass clippings' is also an understatement. Neighbor disputes can get really ugly, real fast, because neither has the option of just leaving to de-escalate, and there's a part of self-pride and such in protecting your home. Its the principle of the thing.

So if rand paul is dumping his trash in his neighbors' plot, it was only a matter of time until he got beat.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
probably he was Big Timing his neighbors/HOA for years with some real embarrassing rear end in a top hat behavior he thought he could get away with because he's a senator but doesn't want in the NYT now that it's A Thing

more intriguing is that the ~neighbor~ hasn't said anything either. odds are that Rand is either paying him to keep quiet, or, more likely, is promising to go easy on him with the cops/court if he keeps his mouth shut about the why

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

TenementFunster posted:

probably he was Big Timing his neighbors/HOA for years with some real embarrassing rear end in a top hat behavior he thought he could get away with because he's a senator but doesn't want in the NYT now that it's A Thing

more intriguing is that the ~neighbor~ hasn't said anything either. odds are that Rand is either paying him to keep quiet, or, more likely, is promising to go easy on him with the cops/court if he keeps his mouth shut about the why

there’s probably not an explicit quid pro quo but a smart lawyer would advise his client that the victim’s opinion is heavily weighted by the DA

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
He probably didn't expect to break 6 of Rand Paul's ribs, but it turns out the libertarian ubermensch is made of cardboard, and the legal system goes by what you did, regardless of what you think it would do (the eggshell principle).

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
i think rand paul broke his own ribs so that he could suck his own dick because that's what libertarianism is all about

then when it didn't work he blamed his neighbor because that's also what libertarianism is all about

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the mistkae he made was not attacking him in congress because he could for sure have murdered him and all the senators would say they didn't see anything after cheering it on

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
look at this idiot who doesn't watch C-SPAN

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Jose posted:

the mistkae he made was not attacking him in congress because he could for sure have murdered him and all the senators would say they didn't see anything after cheering it on

checks out

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
this attack is a false flag designed to to distract from the fact that mike pence hosed a horse

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Next time Rand Paul sees some homeless people & breaks into a laughing fit (natural libertarian response to human suffering) he will at least suffer immense pain.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
i;m thinking about thos Ribs

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
baby hack ribs

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
https://www.gq.com/story/inside-rand-pauls-neighborhood-fight/amp

hell of a lot of fluff but it looks like it really was over Rand Paul getting his lawn clippings on this guy’s property after he had asked him to stop over and over.

Also all the other rich people make fun of Rand Paul’s pathetic tiny loser mansion and they all hate him and the neighbor.

I am convinced this dude is a plant by his re-election campaign or something:

quote:

And the man selling hot dogs under a Japanese maple in front of the clinic described Paul, to whom he has delivered pizzas in the past, as an excellent tipper, always good for four or five bucks.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

"They pick on Rand because he has the smallest one out there"

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

LMFAO at Rand "Paper Skin" Paul's tiny dick and tiny house.

DMCrimson
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

quote:

According to the Daily Mail, Boucher may have been angered by Paul's decision to plant trees that now block the view of the lake once enjoyed from Boucher's house, lowering the property value.

*plants row of lovely trees*

"Good thing no such thing thing as externalities to my decisions hooray for libertarianism oh god my ribs why ever would my neighbor tackle me"

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
Can’t stop laughing at the thought of all the rich people bullying Rand Paul for his little baby house probably only 7k square feet

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ScrubLeague posted:

i;m thinking about thos Ribs

oh baby oh baby gimme them broken back ribs

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Since the attack, my husband Rand Paul hasn't taken a single breath without pain

quote:

The average person takes 20,000 breaths a day. Since November 3, my husband, Rand Paul, has not taken a single one without pain. He has not had a single night's sleep uninterrupted by long periods of difficult breathing or excruciating coughing.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

quote:

The average person takes 20,000 breaths a day. Since November 3, my husband, Rand Paul, has not taken a single one without pain. He has not had a single night's sleep uninterrupted by long periods of difficult breathing or excruciating coughing.

much like someone with slowly progressing lung cancer who can't afford chemotherapy

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

hehehehehe

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

drat it’s like he has broken ribs or something. weird

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
i've had broken ribs and yeah, it's absolutely excruciating.

that said, rand deserves worse

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

ur in my world now posted:

i've had broken ribs and yeah, it's absolutely excruciating.

that said, rand deserves worse

Does it make me a bad person to hope that he gets addicted to painkillers and learns some firsthand lessons about the limits of willpower and the sillyness of beleving that humans always make decisions from a position of enlightened self interest?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i hope he strong individual libertarians himself into little or no pain meds and the resultant chronic shallow breathing gives him pneumonia and he’s gotta miss a buncha votes

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
yall are pretending as though this isn't gonna make pipsqueak rand paul stronger

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
rand paul needs to buy a leather jacket and a motorcycle and just drive

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Prester Jane posted:

Does it make me a bad person to hope that he gets addicted to painkillers and learns some firsthand lessons about the limits of willpower and the sillyness of beleving that humans always make decisions from a position of enlightened self interest?

hahaha, ‘learn’

the calcification of our separate psychologies renders the last of our learning to the realm of death

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Baloogan posted:

rand paul needs to buy a leather jacket and a motorcycle and just drive

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wow, this rand paul feller sure sounds like he wants the government to protect him from himself

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Prester Jane posted:

"Addiction is just my brain's way of intellectually determining what substances are in my rational long-term selfish interests" is official Ayn-Randian dogma to Objectivists.

Applies to cigarettes and meth because ol Ayn was hooked on them, not sure if she ever got into opiates but if she did same goes.

I assume that, like Ayn required her acolytes to take up smoking to prove their rationality, Rand Paul would just start evangelizing to his followers about the benefits of oxy

VitalSigns has issued a correction as of 09:29 on Nov 23, 2017

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Poor dude can't even reach down to his bootstraps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to be honest and say that if someone had asked me "what should Rand Paul's life be like" I probably wouldn't have come up with "every breath should cause him pain". But now that I've heard it, I mean that kinda seems spot on. Kudos, reality.

• Locked thread