Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khorne
May 1, 2002
Season 3: 12+ minute queues while in placement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Looking like they're gonna announce BRBR beta tomorrow, based off their twitter. I'd link but blocked on desktop.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Looking like they're gonna announce BRBR beta tomorrow, based off their twitter. I'd link but blocked on desktop.

My hopes are high but my expectations are low. Path of Exile did their dumb April Fool's battle royale which was not very good, and dota has been running their twist on it for a bit now. Neither are great, but at least as proof of concept I'm in on a non-FPS battle royale.

I'm half expecting the announcement to be "Not until 2019" which would be hilarious.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

In conclusion, lol if SLS thinks I'm paying back into them after this. Not that I was before, but this sealed it :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
For those too lazy go to looking, the announcement was (a) an announcement of an announcement on Monday, and (b) stating that BRoyale will be a completely separate game that you have to spend real american dollars on

Macavity
Jun 29, 2006

There never was a cat of such deceitfulness and suavity.
Fun Shoe

MerrMan posted:

I'm half expecting the announcement to be "Not until 2019" which would be hilarious.

It's even worse.

I have defended SLS through a lot, a LOT of dumb-rear end decisions. This takes the cake. This is so far beyond vacations, wasting time, wasting money, ignoring feedback. This is a direct kick in the balls to the only people who gave a poo poo about your niche game.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Countblanc posted:

For those too lazy go to looking, the announcement was (a) an announcement of an announcement on Monday, and (b) stating that BRoyale will be a completely separate game that you have to spend real american dollars on

Lol what in the gently caress. They could not possibly piss the only people who care about their game more.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
https://blog.battlerite.com/the-future-and-battlerite-royale/

:yikes:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

dang... the tale of lawbreakers and radical shites is a sad one. thankfully no dev can ever be as boneheaded as cliffy b

sls: hold my beer

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

laughing my loving rear end off

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

How is a company this loving stupid

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I'm real confused, because what BLC/BR lacked was a method of player retention. In BR's case, it also lacked updates and developments. Last year and this year they just vanished for a huge swath of time. Everytime they change the game significantly lots of people played for quite a while after (not just 1 day/1 week), like the ranged update or talents update, and everytime they do nothing lots of people fall away. It's because there's nothing else in the game to do.

The only "success" in BR's genre has been WoW arena, and it's because there's the rest of WoW to do. When the rest of WoW sucked the player count in arena dropped. Even fighting games suffer from the player retention issue. Adding a battle royale mode seemed probably good to me, because it gave them a shot to make a ton of money instead of a consistent, mediocre amount of money. Counter-Strike but with Wizards was an under represented genre at one point that I was planning to make a game in and then MOBAs became popular, and Battle Royale but with wizards is an underrepresented genre right now.

BR is lacking a chill mode, royale solves that. (and bakko egg brawl, what happened with event modes anyway? They made like 1 and then never again)
BR is lacking a funnel for new players, royale solves that.
BR is lacking any kind of progression, royale possibly solves incremental progression.

Splitting games removes one of the big advantages to making it in the first place. You're also effectively removing content from the royale game, where a small player count mode is probably appealing for people who want to team up in the royale to "compete for real". Like, if you have the arena mode in a royale game suddenly you don't need a 'competitive' royale because you have a competitive mode baked in for people who care about esports.

What is the point of splitting it?

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Aug 9, 2018

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

battlerite dev counterpoint: yes, but this way we can charge our loyal playerbase to buy another game

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Minrad posted:

battlerite dev counterpoint: yes, but this way we can charge our loyal playerbase to buy another game
I think their actual intent is to forget BR exists and just make mountains of money from players who don't play BR buying the Royale game.

I'd prefer the charge our loyal playerbase method where they roll BR into the Royale game and make me pay again to what they're doing. At least that's a promise of support, mild competence, mild confidence, and that they're actually trying to make BR succeed. Or the kinder version of this, where they roll it in and give BR players free access to the Royale to get an instant player base, but I'll take either over two separate games that are kinda the same.

Anyhow, maybe we'll look back and two separate games worked out fine. Maybe the royale players who would have played arena mode will trickle into BR anyway. Who knows.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 9, 2018

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

One of my pet running theories is that SLS has been bleeding cash for years, and basically need big-ish cash infusions every quarter to stay afloat. This roughly maps to the EA release, the early f2p bumps throughout EA, f2p release, releasing again in asia with their partners, prolly getting cash for the xbone port, etc...

this is just the latest in a long line of desperate grabs to keep afloat. Or they're really that dumb and expect everyone to float along. Could be, SLS management aint been showing too much brightness.

Also LMAFO at SLS expecting anyone to trust that they'll be able to provide content at a decent clip for two modes simultaneously when they haven't even done that for arena since they started that EA.

Also also I'm half expecting a competitive bpl for brbr as well. Which, if they don't make the team size three, should be a nice meme and a half. Ugh just the thought of loving competing around RNG poo poo in a Royale makes me sick.

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 9, 2018

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Wow, me setting the floor as a delay was hilarious off the mark. I should know better than to try to predict how SLS is going to gently caress up any given idea they have.

Hi-Rez Studios has long held the "worst dev" title in my mind, but I might have to revise that opinion. Holy poo poo.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

MerrMan posted:

Hi-Rez Studios has long held the "worst dev" title in my mind, but I might have to revise that opinion. Holy poo poo.

Hi-Rez is super scummy, Stunlock isn't really close to that. On the competency levels? Then maybe we're talking.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

If anyone knows mid tier gaming orgs looking to sign a top team in a growing scene, buy me platinum and shoot me a dm :wink:

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Hi-Rez is super scummy, Stunlock isn't really close to that. On the competency levels? Then maybe we're talking.

yeah the thing that is heart breaking is that they really do just want to make a fun game they can play and share it with the world. it's just that they over and over again have shown that they're a team of...people who like coding core gameplay! and they really just need some business people to take them to task on deadlines and communication and coding features that aren't fun gameplay things but are necessary to move the game forward.

Like, they correctly perceived that BR was in a hole and needed a way out. folks have been pretty clear about what would do it - clans, in game tournaments, etc. Stuff that makes playing today feel different than playing yesterday. But coding an entirely new game that feels fun to play is what they're good at and what they like to do, so of course that's the way they're gonna try to do it.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

People have somewhat tolerated the paucity of patches/content updates on the premise that SLS was devoting all energy towards this big new game mode for the game, and then they announce that in fact BR was abandoned months ago and is dead. And then to top it all off, they ask those people whose patience was already stretched to please buy their new game this fall. The lack of perspective is mind-blowing.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Papercut posted:

People have somewhat tolerated the paucity of patches/content updates on the premise that SLS was devoting all energy towards this big new game mode for the game, and then they announce that in fact BR was abandoned months ago and is dead. And then to top it all off, they ask those people whose patience was already stretched to please buy their new game this fall. The lack of perspective is mind-blowing.
I'm surprised at how civil the subreddit is, despite exploding. People were flooding it with dead game for ages, and then this news drops and no one is happy. The sentiment seems to be "not mad, just disappointed" instead of the pure toxicity I went there expecting.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Khorne posted:

I'm surprised at how civil the subreddit is, despite exploding. People were flooding it with dead game for ages, and then this news drops and no one is happy. The sentiment seems to be "not mad, just disappointed" instead of the pure toxicity I went there expecting.

Yep, I noticed the same when I read the post and then hit up the subreddit to see all the vitriol. A couple of half hearted memes about disappointment was about it. Maybe the anger will come in a little bit once it settles in. Or maybe it's a bad sign for a game when even the passionate detractors suddenly don't care enough to talk poo poo on the internet.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

MerrMan posted:

Yep, I noticed the same when I read the post and then hit up the subreddit to see all the vitriol. A couple of half hearted memes about disappointment was about it. Maybe the anger will come in a little bit once it settles in. Or maybe it's a bad sign for a game when even the passionate detractors suddenly don't care enough to talk poo poo on the internet.

This. When you follow through with a plan of action that was used as a punchline given how utterly stupid it would be, I'm not sure anyone can bother to be emotionally invested. Personally, I'm just waiting for the cosmetics in BRBR to have stats and rarity that you have to pay cash for.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I can understand it being a separate game I guess, but not going with a F2P model is mind boggling if fortnite's success is anything to go by.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
It makes me wonder if the BLC changes that were blamed on funcom, gems and multiplying damage numbers and all that crap, was really funcom or just SLS.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

d0grent posted:

I can understand it being a separate game I guess, but not going with a F2P model is mind boggling if fortnite's success is anything to go by.
Most games in this genre (and free-to-play games in general) don't achieve Fortnite level success though, the far more likely pattern is a burst of (at most moderate) initial interest followed by a sharp decline in player base. For example: https://steamcharts.com/app/809960#All

So they're trying to recreate the large chunk of revenue they received from all their early access Battlerite sales rather than the (presumably unprofitable) free launch.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

well that just proves how nearsighted they are being here

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

I thought monday was gonna be the chaser, but SLS delivers early for once! :v:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

"Paused" lol. Just like all of my home projects that have been "paused" for the past decade. They're not dead, I could work on them again at some point! Theoretically!

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

'paused' is always industry slang for 'abandoned but kept online'. theyre not fooling anyone here

Khorne
May 1, 2002
How is everyone feeling about the announcement now?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Khorne posted:

It's still real dumb

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Khorne posted:

I'm excited for the new Path of Exile expansion.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Their roadmap is poo poo and addresses nothing fundamental about this entire shitshow. Just some candy for the reddit white knights to chomp on, im outtie as soon as the checks stop rolling... or at least that's what I'd say if the first one wasn't still waiting to come in.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Their roadmap is poo poo and addresses nothing fundamental about this entire shitshow. Just some candy for the reddit white knights to chomp on, im outtie as soon as the checks stop rolling... or at least that's what I'd say if the first one wasn't still waiting to come in.
Yeah. It'd be cool if they announced actual changes.

On the plus side, that map looks a bit interesting to play.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Khorne posted:

Yeah. It'd be cool if they announced actual changes.

On the plus side, that map looks a bit interesting to play.

That's what I thought until I saw the symmetrical trees placed around two of the openings to mid in such a way that they're deathtrap chokes. Hype for them adding pillars while still not understanding the fundamentals of why their maps are cancer -- or rather understanding but having had baked dumbass wall mechanics in so they feel boxed in to only cancer maps.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

That's what I thought until I saw the symmetrical trees placed around two of the openings to mid in such a way that they're deathtrap chokes. Hype for them adding pillars while still not understanding the fundamentals of why their maps are cancer -- or rather understanding but having had baked dumbass wall mechanics in so they feel boxed in to only cancer maps.
I'm confused by the samey map design when there are tons of options for them. The one shown at least looks a little different from the current ones.

Like, they could have a map with a circle in the middle that you can't walk onto. I suppose orb placement becomes an issue with this design, but there's options if they want to branch out (randomly spawn in one of two places, just always spawn it in 1 place that would be top for one side bot for the other).

They could have a map like [insert BLC map here].

They could have a map like some WoW arena maps.

They could just have different pillar design? There are plenty of perfect symmetry options they haven't tapped.

They could dynamic aspects to the map that come up and down or block line of sight or something. Maybe people hate this.

Triangles have symmetry, although the 1 point would be top or bottom depending on which side you're on. But so what? Same with designing some pillars to be close on one side and far on another.

They're really not as limited as they seem to be designing for. Maybe I'm a bad person for violating perfect symmetry at all times or because some of these ideas might play awful, but at least they're something different.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Aug 15, 2018

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

They posted a BRBR trailer this morning -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOQHL9bntrI

Looks... fine, I guess? I don't really know what I expected but after all the hype and delays I was hoping at least for more than 60 seconds worth of hud-less gameplay.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I don't see how this is supposed to appeal to anybody. It's gotta be top 5 dumbest decisions I've ever seen a company make. Somehow that crappy Paladins BR has somewhat of a community so who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

I'm not exactly sure who at SLS does hype, but they should really stop.

• Locked thread