Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

EDIT: Updated my gift preferences list! Sorry it took me a little longer, Santa! :ohdear:

Gift preferences: Okay! I got my boardgame list up to date enough, if that's helpful, Santa. :)

In previous years I've been very fortunate to have some Santas take the wheel and send whatever they think would be super cool--if you see something missing from my list that you believe every collection should have, follow your heart. I haven't been able to keep up with the new hotness this year in boardgames, so I'm not sure what to ask for or about. Off the top of my head, I don't have the expansion for Lords of Waterdeep, 7 Wonders Babel, or the 7 Wonders duel expansion, however.

If you would like specific ideas, I really enjoy Imperial Assault (as you can see from my BGG list)--if you happened to find the Twin Shadows or Heart of the Empire expansions for a reasonable price both of those would be appreciated. In regards to character packs, I haven't had a chance to pick up Emperor Palpatine, Maul, Hera Syndulla, or Chewbacca.

I also enjoy RPGs, and I've been playing Edge of the Empire. I'm going to start playing 5E soon (I have all of the core books and Volo's Guide to Monsters). If there are any 5E books that you feel someone should absolutely have, that's an option. I could also use a nice dice bag to store some more dice or ImpAss tokens.

General things I like include: I'm in a microbiology program right now, so that's my main hobby at the moment. I also like Nintendo and cats. I have no food allergies.

Please do not send: CAH (you can see other people have beat you to it), Exploding Kittens, dongs, dead bugs in retro video game consoles or in anything else, amiibo, GW

General Location: The jewel of the Midwest—the great Husker state

Solemn vow: I solemnly swear I am up to Yule good

Niemat fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Nov 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Woo! Gonna give this a go, I'm excited :)

Gift Preferences: I'm big into tabletop RPGs, and love hardcover rulebooks and supplements, new and old. POD stuff is fine by me too! Just got myself a bargain on some FFG Star Wars: Age of Rebellion stuff (core, starter box, screen), so I'm interested in collecting stuff for that system. Keen to try other sci-fi RPGs too. I play Pathfinder and Chronicles of Darkness (Vampire, Mage), and would love to try the oWoD 20th anniversary stuff. Really keen to try Modiphius' 2d20 stuff sometime. I'm a huge nostalgia freak for ADnD 2nd Edition, and OSR stuff is cool so long as its not written by creeps. Love Call of Cthulhu too (have the 7th Edition core books only). Would love to try a superhero RPG sometime, of the more crunchy variety (i.e. not Fate or something).

Love boardgames with tons of Ameritrash crunchiness, but not a big fan of Euro-style boardgames. I don't do GW stuff or really any unpainted mini games.

General Location: Scotland

Solemn Vow: I solemnly swear to send something cool and not take forever or Grinchify anyone

thorsilver fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Nov 18, 2017

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Krysmphoenix convinced me this is a good idea, so someone is gettin' something out of the Closet of Many Games. Unless they don't want that in which case they'll get something cool.

Gift Preferences: Board games. I have a lot of them, though probably not as many as some of you. I'd give a picture or an inventory or something but honestly until now that sort of thing has never occurred to me. Also about half of it is still in boxes because I'm lazy and don't feel the need to display that ziploc'd copy of Dark Cults.

Oh, uh, right. What I want. A duplicate isn't really going to offend me since I trade, sell, and gift extras and even some I don't have extras of all the time. Most of the stuff I haven't already bought for myself is like the new DOOM, Star Wars Rebellion, The Duke, Command and Colors Tricorne...you know, stuff that probably doesn't fall within the purview of this here activity.

General Location: Baltimore, MD, USA

Solemn Vow: I'm a rad dude who ain't gonna grinch and promise to effusively praise the santa who replaces the mystery game I already just agreed to christmas present to someone.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
I've enjoyed this in years past, so let's do it again!

Gift Preferences: I'm primarily into indie RPGs, although I haven't been playing them as much lately.

Instead, I've been playing more LCGs such as Netrunner and L5R but have been keeping on top of releases for those two games at this point. While that means the cards themselves would not make a great gift, I'd be happy to receive any related paraphernalia.

In fact, general non-dice RPG/gaming accessories – such as something along the lines of another noteboard or these turn tracker cards – would be warmly welcomed if you end up otherwise stumped.

I have a budding collection of board games, although most of them cap out at four players or less, so if you're aware of any good games that can support five or even six people, one of those would be a welcome addition.

As far as miniatures are concerned, a mountain of Reaper Bones has me covered for pretty much anything, but I don't have much to use them for other than painting practice and as RPG figures, so a skirmish game that's pretty proxy friendly/miniature agnostic like Osprey Games' Frostgrave or Black Ops would be a great way to get some more use out of many of them. Alternately, if you are aware of any smaller scale spaceship minis (something that won't look out of place on a 1" grid), something like that would be pretty cool and well appreciated.

If you want to get a better taste for my preferences or want to check against sending a duplicate, here are my RPGGeek (collection, wishlist) & BoardGameGeek (collection, wishlist) links. I would prefer something physical (print on demand or handmade gifts are fine!) over digital, if at all possible. As far as other geeky hobbies go, I'm into comic books and video games, especially FFXIV.

Please, no
  • Dongs
  • Kingdom Death/other skeeviness
  • Munchkin, CAH, Exploding Kittens, Red Dragon Inn, etc.
  • Generic D&D & ilk
  • Dice
  • Live or dead animals

General Location: Maryland, USA

Solemn Vow: Never gonna grinch you up.

Auralsaurus Flex fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 18, 2017

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Turns out I'm in this year. Hooray!

Gift Preferences: I love love love getting old, awful role playing games from the eighties, especially if no one has ever heard of them. Occasionally I run them for nerds who can't run away fast enough. Old terrible games of any stripe that no humans want to play are a guilty pleasure of mine.

I also enjoy collecting board games, although I've been a bit busy lately and the only game I've physically bought that came out in the past two years was Mechs Vs Minions. All board games are rad... euros, ameritrash, kinetic, whatever.

Finally, I've been told that all of my paintbrushes are inappropriate for painting minis. I have been told this every time I have ever bought paint brushes. I have given up on buying paint brushes, and if anyone knows anything about them, I would appreciate them taking over paint brush buying duty as a christmas gift.

General Location: Philadelphia, USA

Solemn Vow: I will not ruin anyone's Christmas.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Awesome, 17 signups since yesterday afternoon, and this is feeling a lot happier up in here! We're up to 52 goons in the main round now.

I'm gonna go catch up on confirmation emails right now, and then do the matchups tonight (in about 12 hours) so there's still ~12 hours to get into the main round.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Confirmation emails are out. I am missing emails from LeSquid and Mystic Mongol. You guys need to send your sign-up emails with your shipping address, international shipping preference, and goon names within the next 12 hours please!

WereGoat
Apr 28, 2017

Last minute sign up?

Preferences:  I like board games and tabletop games, but space is an issue for my nerdy stuff so if going book direction pamphlet or paperback size preferable to bigger sizes books. Boardgames less of a space issue since stored in shared space. No minis please (got loads unpainted) or scenery. If thinking foods, I'm vegetarian so no hams please. Also no dicks please.

General Location: South East England

Solemn Vow: I am not a meanie, I will not ruin anyone's Christmas.

Ta muchly!

WereGoat fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 18, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've sent a signup email to everyone except LeSquide, who I guess forgot. LeSquide, I can put you into the main round if I get an email within the next two hours: otherwise, you'll have to slide down into the first lightning bonus round.

I'm going to start processing the matchups but there's still ~2 hours for anyone who wants to sign up to sign up!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MAIN ROUND IS CLOSED

I am now beginning to send out your SECRET SANTEES ohhh my god I hope I didn't gently caress it up!

LIGHTNING BONUS ROUND 1 is NOW OPEN!

LIGHTNING BONUS ROUNDS!

Lightning bonus rounds are how you take part in the Trad Games Secret Santa thing after the deadline for the main round is passed. It's also how you can be greedy and exchange more than one present with your fellow goons!

Beginning today (November 18th), and continuing until no later than December 10th, we will have a series of extra bonus rounds and YOU can participate. The LIGHTNING BONUS ROUNDS work a lot like the main round. All of the rules apply except for the deadline for application. Re-read the rules in the OP just in case you forgot them.

OK so to sign up I post in the thread and send you an email?
Correct. You must do this even if you participated in the main round. Post in the thread. If you already participated in the main round you can link to your original post or just quote it to show your gift preferences. You must send an email to tgsecretsanta@gmail.com as well; if you already sent one this year I don't need your address again, but I do need another email regardless. My response to that email is your only confirmation that you've successfully signed up.

What then?
I will end each LIGHTNING BONUS ROUND according to whichever of the following things happens first:
  • 8 people sign up
  • 7 days have passed and at least 3 people signed up
  • We reach December 10th

Once each round closes I'll randomize the participants in the round and you all exchange gifts. You immediately fire off a Trad Games Present at your Santee, and they do the same! And of course the instant one LIGHTNING BONUS ROUND ends, the next one begins.

What about international shipping? :ohdear:
You can still tell me you prefer not to ship internationally – if it's impossible for you, let me know and I'll try to make sure that doesn't happen. But if you live outside the US it's particularly hard to ensure you don't have to ship internationally. Bear in mind that you can always buy something online from a store that operates in your target country and thereby avoid expensive shipping costs. (You might have to pay a currency exchange fee but that is typically much less money.) If I get a pool that contains nobody else in your country, I will contact you to check if you'd rather sit out to the next round.

It's better though if LIGHTNING BONUS ROUND participants can all ship internationally. Remember, you can always just order something online from the destination country: you usually just need a credit card.

So then what's the shipping deadline?
Of course, as we close in on Christmas day, you will have less and less time in which to accomplish purchase, shipping, and delivery. You'll have to pick an appropriate delivery option and be certain whatever you're buying is either in your hands, or definitely in stock at the retailer of your choice. You are still supposed to ship your item absolutely no later than December 15th AND get your gift delivered to your Secret Santee by December 19th! This is part of the challenge! But it probably means that you won't have time to make a hand-made gift or wait for something that is out of stock to get restocked. Strongly consider ordering online from a major retailer with a strong reputation for shipping things immediately.

ROUND ONE BEGINS NOW GO!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

all of the assignments for the main round are done! If you didn't get an email with your Santee, let me know immediately, thanks!

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Just ordered the gift for my Santee. He should be getting it this week.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
A parcel of holiday cheer has been ordered! It's a little less cheerful that it could be though...Amazon seems to have cut back on what can and can't be gift wrapped.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Ordered the gift for my Santee which should be here by next weekend plus a little extra that may arrive sooner than you think.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
Something beautiful and terrible is on it's way to a lucky someone. It may arrive right under the wire though as it's a bit of a specialty item.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
Got a big 'ol box of Dorkmas cheer on the way, and it's even safe to shake!

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

Hey, Santa: sorry it took me a little longer than I thought, but my original post has been updated. :) Thanks for your patience, mystery Santa!

Edit: Okay, I'm not sure why the link wasn't working, so I removed it, but my original post is at the top of page 3.

Niemat fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Nov 19, 2017

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
I'm a big dumb shitass who missed the deadline for the opening round due to flat hunting. Fuckin' hell that's stressful.

Gift Preferences
I like random stuff, really. If you're shipping from outside the UK to me, it's always great to get some local candy or something that doesn't make it outside your national borders very often. I'm a bit of a comic book nerd and I work for a videogame company so I figure that gives a pretty strong quick sketch of me. I do love me some Critical Role and that's basically (other than SA) the only major amount of RP that I get to do these days.

I don't play wargames or use miniatures for anything.

Solemn Vow
Yes sir.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gift launched, and should be arriving next week!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

A gift is deployed! It should be there by the end of the month, shipping gods willing.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
Gift sent! Shipping international so I hope it makes it there in a timely fashion. Enjoy!

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Gift dispatched! I have prime so it should be there pretty fast.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Gifts ordered but I'm going to wrap them here first before sending them along.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I've replied to all of the follow-up emails I've gotten, and we have our first signup for bonus round 1 with Sion up there, too! Maybe LeSquide too, if they come back to the thread and send an email.

Not Keyser Soze posted:

Something beautiful and terrible is on it's way to a lucky someone. It may arrive right under the wire though as it's a bit of a specialty item.

Can you tell me whether you have shipped a gift for your Santee #1, or your Santee #2? I need to keep specific track, you see.

Rumda posted:

Ordered the gift for my Santee which should be here by next weekend plus a little extra that may arrive sooner than you think.

Sorry, this is ambiguous: have you shipped one (or two?) packages to your Santee, or are you having something delivered to yourself to re-ship? I keep track of these things, too...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Friendly reminder; if you're Krysmphoenix's Santa, PM me if you need gift advice or whatever. They're one of my housemates.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!
Gift is away! It should be there by November 30th.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
Package all wrapped and taped and whatnot. Should get dropped off at the post office in the morning.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

I sent emails to everyone on the official Trad Games Email List! If you'd like to sign up, please send a sign-up email to tgsecretsanta@gmail.com and I'll be happy to put you on there. The list is only used once per year to send out an announcement email and that's it.

Also, I never even considered posting in the previous years' thread... hmm.

I did cross-post in several of the more trafficked threads in TG, but I feel like it's probably not OK to just spam every thread. And this thread has been stickied for the last week, but I suspect (like me) many posters rarely actually navigate the forums, mostly just reading and posting in TG threads they've bookmarked using the control panel.

But yeah it's worrying that people aren't even aware the thread is going on. Any ideas?

Last year I suggested the mods put up an announcement with all the Secret Santas so everyone would see them, but nothing came of it. I think you're right about the main issues being low population and not using the forums per se, but I think forums engagement matters a lot too. I'm doing the Book Barn santa and it's a much quieter forum, which I'm sure is part of why the numbers are much lower than here. Not easy to do something about that, though.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex

Leperflesh posted:

Can you tell me whether you have shipped a gift for your Santee #1, or your Santee #2? I need to keep specific track, you see.

Sorry, this was santee #1, #2 will be Monday or Tuesday.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
Santee #1 one gift shipped, one gift backordered
Santee #2 shipped
Santee #3 items ordered to be sent to me to be shipped

Ho Ho Ho!

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Leperflesh posted:

Sorry, this is ambiguous: have you shipped one (or two?) packages to your Santee, or are you having something delivered to yourself to re-ship? I keep track of these things, too...

One package shipped direct to them one shipped to me to re-package

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

So the Amazon UK deliveryman came to my flat yesterday, and as he trudged up the stairs to bring me the mystery parcel I was giddy with excitement.

What could it be?! A new game? Gaming accessories?

Actually, it was dongs

edit: I should say the included note said a real present is coming later, too, so it's not *just* dongs :)

thorsilver fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Nov 20, 2017

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

thorsilver posted:

So the Amazon UK deliveryman came to my flat yesterday, and as he trudged up the stairs to bring me the mystery parcel I was giddy with excitement.

Actually, it was dongs

edit: I should say the included note said a real present is coming later, too, so it's not *just* dongs :)

How dare you not post pictures of said dongs.

edit the dongs did not load the first time. I am now happy

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

thorsilver posted:

Actually, it was dongs

Welp, that's definitely a record. A present delivered in less than two days from the santee assignments! And it's dongs. Amazing!

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Gift ordered and on its way to me to be wrapped.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!
Gift ordered and should hopefully arrive in a few days if Amazon keeps its promise.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Updated my preferences, sorry I was slow Santa! (Oh boy do I have some ideas for my vict...er Santee...)

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Gift away!

Almost shipped it to myself, but I stopped being dumb at the last second and fixed it.

Sign me up for the Lighting Round.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
My gift arrived already! Both Codenames and the Duet version PLUS a Broken Token organizer! Thank you secret santa for being so generous. My wife and I are already reading through Duet and I'm looking forward to playing the original version with my inlaws when they visit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bruxism posted:

My gift arrived already! Both Codenames and the Duet version PLUS a Broken Token organizer! Thank you secret santa for being so generous. My wife and I are already reading through Duet and I'm looking forward to playing the original version with my inlaws when they visit.

Fun fact; your parcel was actually supposed to be two parcels that weren't going to arrive til Tuesday and Wednesday. So...yeah, Amazon went above and beyond on that one! If you organize it right, you can condense both games into a single box with that organizer; and as such you can end up using the Duet word cards with original; or vice versa!

Merry Goonmas!

• Locked thread