Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Libluini posted:

So, a couple days ago I received something. Too bad I also fell ill a couple of days, which is why I can only post now about it!

A book about space ships! Thank you, Secret Santa! I'd never even imagined something like this existed, I guess I should search more in the future! I've already flipped through it, and some of the space ships are really, really good! I'm planning to sit down at some point to read it more closely. Anyway, awesome gift!

(One weird thing though, the package arrived open. Didn't look very safe to me, hopefully whoever opened it didn't take anything.)

Sadly I don't have a cat inspector. My cat prefers to sleep, leaving the hard work of inspecting mail to me. She's like the least curious cat ever, it's weird.

*phew* I was beginning to worry if it was going to turn up... nothing's gone missing, but I'm annoyed that it's been opened at all.

You're very welcome! When I read what you were after, I remembered that I used to read a blog that featured a lot of concept art for spaceships from movies/games/etc., and that they'd put a book out a few years ago. I couldn't not track down a copy. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Sleekly posted:

It can't be that bad? Is it?

Rest assured, this is an article of clothing that cannot be worn in front of other sentient beings. Even my unflappable buddy of a dog shies away from it!

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Well now you have to post it. :colbert: Though uh, feel free to "censor" anything particularly egregious.

Sounds like maybe we should deploy the ungrinching methods on this one..

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

aldantefax posted:

Rest assured, this is an article of clothing that cannot be worn in front of other sentient beings. Even my unflappable buddy of a dog shies away from it!

My dog lets me wear caps but not a beanie. She also hates hoods. I'm not sure of her feelings on anime.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

aldantefax posted:

Post a link to a pics of it and put up some nws tags. We must know how bad this is.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
No embed, but here you go by popular demand.

:nws: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mzoireakkh8ryzn/nws_b_JPEG_20171215_200856.jpg?dl=0 :nws:

The front is more or less the same.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

aldantefax posted:

:nws: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mzoireakkh8ryzn/nws_b_JPEG_20171215_200856.jpg?dl=0 :nws:

What the actual gently caress.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

aldantefax posted:

Not to play Grinch's Advocate here, but this looks like an AliExpress job (is the fabric really plastic-y?), which tends to run really small by Western sizing standards. They may have intended to buy you the right size, although, frankly, buying you a version of that garment you could actually wear out is worse. Sweet Jesus.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

aldantefax posted:

:wtc:

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Antivehicular posted:

Not to play Grinch's Advocate here, but this looks like an AliExpress job (is the fabric really plastic-y?), which tends to run really small by Western sizing standards. They may have intended to buy you the right size, although, frankly, buying you a version of that garment you could actually wear out is worse. Sweet Jesus.

I think it is more or less layered polyester. Very much in the AliExpress line of manufacture, since my roommates have ordered stuff before from vendors on the site. To be fair, if it actually fit, I imagine that I would have worn it while at my computer until it became unbearably hot since that fabric doesn't breathe one bit.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

aldantefax posted:

I’m not sure what thought process one would have to think, “Yes, this IS a thing people would like to wear.” Holy poo poo.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have reached out to Aldantefax's santa to ask what's up.

Two things though: previous correspondence suggests that this santa has already sent a second gift, on the basis that the first gift never provided tracking and they were not sure if it would arrive on time. So, we'll hold off on de-grinching.

Second: it's entirely plausible that what arrived was not what was ordered, or represented as the product. Such things have happened before. So, again, let us keep the pitchforks in the shed and not light up the torches just yet. We'll get it worked out.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

aldantefax posted:

Gift Preferences

I like weird stuff, but I'll take most anything quite happily. I watch anime on a regular basis,

I was worried because I didnt specify NO DONGS and said I would be happy with anything that I would get the traditional basket of dongs. I think your Santa just took that partial sentence of yours and ran with it! It certainly qualifies in a devils bargain type sense.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

It would be the gooniest "that is not what I ordered!" of all time, that's for sure.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
That certainly is a thing. I was expecting way more anime body pillow and less... Random texture mapping monstrosity.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Quite the thing, such as it is!

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

TO: FIELD MARSHALL S. CLAUS

REINFORCEMENTS RECEIVED STOP HUGE BUILDINGS WILL BE PUT TO GOOD USE STOP EXPECTING FINANCIAL RUIN DUE TO NEW SOURCE OF TERRAIN STOP

USED SUPERGLUE TO ASSEMBLE STOP NEARLY STUCK ALL FINGERS TOGETHER STOP

CAPTAIN FROBBE

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I have received another package! It identifies itself as a backup gift card with a note, redeemable at Amazon dot com!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I got a package this afternoon!

Amazon does really nicely wrapped gifts. So, who sent this?

Apparently a wizard did!

As far as I can tell, it's an offbrand Arkham Horror adventure cardgame--it comes with individual campaigns based on each of the novels, which is honestly super cool. I'm pretty sure no one in my playgroup has read them, so the twists and turns of the story will be an endless series of surprises! Or completely confounding. One of the two.

I'll be back with a play report on this thing once I get a chance--it may be a bit, as apparently everyone I know is dying of a medley of plagues and misfortunes. But certainly within a month I'll tell all ya'll if this thing is a radical detective wizard adventure or a pile of references to books I haven't read.

Also sorry for not including the cat, she decided she didn't want to be photographed and is hiding in the closet.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Mystic Mongol posted:

As far as I can tell, it's an offbrand Arkham Horror adventure cardgame--it comes with individual campaigns based on each of the novels, which is honestly super cool. I'm pretty sure no one in my playgroup has read them, so the twists and turns of the story will be an endless series of surprises! Or completely confounding. One of the two.

I'll be back with a play report on this thing once I get a chance--it may be a bit, as apparently everyone I know is dying of a medley of plagues and misfortunes. But certainly within a month I'll tell all ya'll if this thing is a radical detective wizard adventure or a pile of references to books I haven't read.

Also sorry for not including the cat, she decided she didn't want to be photographed and is hiding in the closet.

I hope it's not poo poo! I couldn't figure out a good dumb RPG to get you, because the very first thing I thought of after reading your gift preferences turned out to be a game you did a Fatal & Friends of, and everything else that came to mind was $300 collector's garbage. I'm not really into board/coop card games, etc., but I've heard really good things about this one and it was pretty new so you probably didn't already have it.

You've got one more coming! Hopefully it will be more satisfactory if Dresden Files: The Card Game of the Roleplaying Game of the Novel Series turns out to be bad nog.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

aldantefax posted:

I have received another package! It identifies itself as a backup gift card with a note, redeemable at Amazon dot com!

That's kinda a lazy gift, if possibly not technically a grinch.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

That Old Tree posted:

I hope it's not poo poo! I couldn't figure out a good dumb RPG to get you, because the very first thing I thought of after reading your gift preferences turned out to be a game you did a Fatal & Friends of, and everything else that came to mind was $300 collector's garbage. I'm not really into board/coop card games, etc., but I've heard really good things about this one and it was pretty new so you probably didn't already have it.

You've got one more coming! Hopefully it will be more satisfactory if Dresden Files: The Card Game of the Roleplaying Game of the Novel Series turns out to be bad nog.

That's very kind of you, but I assure you, I like kinda poo poo games if they come with an excuse to make my friends play them. And secret santa is that excuse!

Also, I'm guessing Fantasy Wargaming? That was such a clusterfuck of a book.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Mystic Mongol posted:

Also, I'm guessing Fantasy Wargaming? That was such a clusterfuck of a book.

Yup! I thought I was so clever. :sweatdrop:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
To be fair, it would have been a fine choice. Without a doubt, it was the most staggeringly sexist RPG supplement ever produced, and there's some fierce competition. Also I'm pretty sure all the gamemastering sections were written for a book about a completely different RPG.

You have fine taste! Fine, awful taste.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 18, 2017

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Good news is I finally have my package. However, I'm on my way to work, so pictures will have to wait.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

CovfefeCatCafe posted:

Good news is I finally have my package. However, I'm on my way to work, so pictures will have to wait.

Victory! So glad it finally made its way to your hands!

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
So I spent much of today in my counting house, measuring out tiny square wooden cubes for the meeples gathering resources for me. The rules said every coal cube I didn't play would cost me 1 victory point, but who's the game designer to say what victory is? I have all the goddamn money, because I don't waste money on nonessential purchases, and because I'm the only guy actually playing. Meeples who don't like the wages I pay can shut up about it, because they have no mouth.

And then I got a knock at the door--someone in a high visibility jacket, delivering out of the back of an unmarked white van. Holiday deliveries are a weird scene, man. The package came with a note!

quote:

A gift for you

Mmmystic Mmmongol, you are being
visited by the Ghost of Roughly a Couple
Weeks Before Christmas. He may look
like a UPS guy or maybe you didn't even
see him but it's a ghost trust me bro.
Well I hope you learned your Christmas
lesson.

Whoah! I better change my ways before the game ends and my player token is put into an afterlife in the box surrounded by ghost chains! I shall take a goose meeple from the box, and pay for it by also taking more money tokens from the box. It's post-scarcity utopia time for my tiny wooden men!

As I requested upthread, Santa has given me a box (!!) of excellent paintbrushes, shown here adjacent to a cat who absolutely has refused to get involved with any Christmas gift this season. I've already got a set of paints set aside, so I'm spending this weekend painting up my Infinity squad.

Thanks, Santa!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK!

So, today is December 19th, the deadline for getting gifts delivered to Santees.

Here's where we're at, according to the Spreadsheet of Cheer. Please check this list to see if it agrees with your understanding: e.g. if you're not on the list but you didn't get a gift, speak up, and if you're on the list but you did get your gift, say so please!

DigitalRaven was shipped a gift by Santa, but has not yet confirmed delivery
Rhjamiz has a confirmed delivered gift, but it hasn't been shown or opened yet
Casnorf was ordered a gift by Santa, but has not yet confirmed delivery
Rhjamiz was shipped a gift by Santa, but has not yet confirmed delivery. Yes, this is supposed to be a second entry, because Rhjamiz is greedy and went for TWO exchanges.
DigitalRaven was shipped a gift by BONUS ROUND santa, but has not yet confirmed delivery

...and that's it! That's five remaining gifts out of 62 total, not bad at all. And only three recepients to account for, hopefully some of these gifts have arrived recently and just need to be acknowledged.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Mystic Mongol posted:

So I spent much of today in my counting house, measuring out tiny square wooden cubes for the meeples gathering resources for me. The rules said every coal cube I didn't play would cost me 1 victory point, but who's the game designer to say what victory is? I have all the goddamn money, because I don't waste money on nonessential purchases, and because I'm the only guy actually playing. Meeples who don't like the wages I pay can shut up about it, because they have no mouth.

And then I got a knock at the door--someone in a high visibility jacket, delivering out of the back of an unmarked white van. Holiday deliveries are a weird scene, man. The package came with a note!

Whoah! I better change my ways before the game ends and my player token is put into an afterlife in the box surrounded by ghost chains! I shall take a goose meeple from the box, and pay for it by also taking more money tokens from the box. It's post-scarcity utopia time for my tiny wooden men!

As I requested upthread, Santa has given me a box (!!) of excellent paintbrushes, shown here adjacent to a cat who absolutely has refused to get involved with any Christmas gift this season. I've already got a set of paints set aside, so I'm spending this weekend painting up my Infinity squad.

Thanks, Santa!

This is best response I could've hoped for, and I consider it an extra Christmas gift.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Leperflesh posted:

An unknown package arrived at my doorstep not terribly long ago. I set my most trusted advisors to determine if it was safe.

After careful consideration, one left to probably I dunno go poop or nap or something, while the other inspected the rogue container.

Since I am easily as lazy as my buddy (pictured above) I'm not gonna trim this picture before I post it. Take that, internet.

BUGS! LOTS OF THEM! I can't wait to make my wife play this with me.

But wait, there's more!

Thematically appropriate indeed! Gonna stick these to stuff that belongs to people who don't like bugs. It's the true meaning of Christmas.

It's super perfect, a duel game that's not too complex that I can play with my wife! I thank you, my closet thanks you, and the people of tradgames fuckin' thank you.

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!
Opened my gifts tonight, thanks Santa!

Perfect to play at home and with my usual group

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

OK!

So, today is December 19th, the deadline for getting gifts delivered to Santees.

Here's where we're at, according to the Spreadsheet of Cheer. Please check this list to see if it agrees with your understanding: e.g. if you're not on the list but you didn't get a gift, speak up, and if you're on the list but you did get your gift, say so please!

DigitalRaven was shipped a gift by Santa, but has not yet confirmed delivery
Rhjamiz has a confirmed delivered gift, but it hasn't been shown or opened yet
Rhjamiz was shipped a gift by Santa, but has not yet confirmed delivery. Yes, this is supposed to be a second entry, because Rhjamiz is greedy and went for TWO exchanges.
DigitalRaven was shipped a gift by BONUS ROUND santa, but has not yet confirmed delivery

...and that's it! That's five remaining gifts out of 62 total, not bad at all. And only three recepients to account for, hopefully some of these gifts have arrived recently and just need to be acknowledged.

I confirmed delivery of one gift:

DigitalRaven posted:

All gifts are now dispatched. Cheer requirements complete.

In other news, a package arrived and was quickly inspected by Agent Sinister of the Feline Postal Inspection Bureau.

He requested backup, and Agent Dexter leapt into action.

The two soon determined that they had better things to do...

But what lurks inside the mysterious package?

Why, it's the World of Might and Magic and Fortune & Glory! I haven't had a chance to give either more than a cursory glance just now, but they fall very clearly into the camp of "Things you didn't know you wanted until you got them". Thanks, Santa! I'm really looking forwards to cracking them open to see what treasures lie within.

Don't think I've received the other one yet, though if it's a DriveThruRPG gift I'll have to check my library.

EDIT: A gift came in!

Thanks, Santa! I've wanted to pick up Magicians and Spirit of '77 for a while now, but never pulled the trigger, and the others all look great!

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Dec 20, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK, thanks DigitalRaven. I think I saw your first receipt and then wasn't sure which of your santas sent it (They were supposed to put Santa #s on...)

Anyway I think we just need to hear from Rhjamiz on a gift that was already confirmed delivered, and we're at 100%!

Which is completely unprecedented. We've never had a TGSS where all of the gifts arrived by the deadline. Granted this year's TGSS was a lot smaller than in previous years, but still. I'm so proud of all of you!

Felime
Jul 10, 2009
An empty naughty list? It's a Christmas miracle.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

I'm a bad person and forgot to thank my Santa!

Thanks to my mystery benefactor for the Mutants and Masterminds 2nd Edition rulebook! Always was interested in superhero RPGs, so I'm looking forward to trying it :)

There was no note or return address on the parcel, so whoever it was, thanks! Almost makes up for the first half of the gift...

(it was dong pasta)

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Yes I have received both Santas' gifts.

First:

The beef jerky is, predictably, long gone.

Alas that I have no coffee table to put this on.

Ooh, this will go on my list...

Second:

You are forgiven. :v:

...right behind these. These look fantastic. Can't wait to dig in to them.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Rhjamiz posted:

Alas that I have no coffee table to put this on.

That's only in there because it had a book plate and I thought it was funnier than a card :v: Hope you enjoy everything!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Raley's is a goon and he makes some drat fine candy.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Leperflesh posted:

Raley's is a goon and he makes some drat fine candy.

I ordered a box worth to be my nice budget gift for all my friends, and not only did the goon discount code not work, but despite being posted Tuesday last week the postal service still hasn't made it arrive, and our party is tomorrow :smith:

e: They arrived 5 minutes after I left for the party, but through some chicanery I was able to get back and get them in time, hooray :buddy:

Shame the thread is archived, and apparently there isn't another

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Dec 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Christmas holidays means more kitbashing time, so I thought I'd share some of the things I've been constructing with my very welcome gifts.

Here's some mean-looking Plague Marines:

And as I hoped, those Statuesque heads give a fresh look to Escher gangers:

Thanks again Yvonmukluk, and a merry Christmas to all!

• Locked thread