Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Time for my favorite annual holiday tradition! Sending and receiving boxes of strange goods with strangers on the internet!

Gift Preferences: Oh man, I am really easy to please. On the board gaming side, I'm usually willing to give anything a try. here is a list of poo poo I already own

Specific Wish List includes (and yes, some of these are over the target price; I'm listing them for completion's sake, and I know that some online retailers do holiday sales): Star Wars Rebellion, the 3rd, and/or 4th expansions for Elder Sign, Kingdom Builder, more Dixit expansions, Compounded, Tsuro of the Seas, some manner of Ticket to Ride (original or Europe preferred, but I'll try any of them), Dungeon Petz, (let's be real...anything from Antoine Bauza or Vlaada Chvátil will be welcome), Tak, The Duke, Argent the Consortium, Codenames Marvel and/or Disney

Handmade gifts welcome, food and beverage also welcome (But I'm lactose intolerant. Please do not send me artisanal cheeses)

In non-board gaming preferences; I like Star Wars, amiibo, and Tokusatsu (Super Sentai, Power Rangers). Don't get me any amiibo though. I literally own all of them.

If you want more specific guidance, PM goon Krysmphoenix. They are my roommate and can paw through my collection or ask me subtle questions about gifts, etc. And if you get matched with Krysm (if they end up signing up for this), feel free to reach out to me and I can do the same.

General Location: Greater Kansas City Metro area. (if anyone else is nearby, yes, I'd love to meet up and play board games sometime.)

Solemn Vow: Not getting Christmas gifts sucks. I wouldn't do that to anyone. Seriously. Plus lowtax actually lives within driving distance. You could have him come and ban me from real life if I grinched you.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Dec 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Leperflesh posted:

Welcome aboard!

We're down to just about 24 hours (give or take several hours) before I do the matchups. Participation is down by a lot from last year, which was also down by a lot from the year before. I hope it's nothing to do with how I run things - I imagine it's more related to generally dwindling population on the forums in general - but anyway please let other goons know that they've only got one day left to sign up for the main round.

We will of course do the thing regardless, and everyone still gets the same amount of presents as always. It's just a worrying trend. :ohdear:

e. for reference, we've got about 38 main round participants for this year. Last year we had about 70, and in 2015 we had about 84. In 2014 we had about 75, and in 2013 we had about 95. So while we had an uptick in 2015 the long-term trend has been downward, and this year it's precipitous.

I didn't even know this year's was running until a few minutes before I signed up. I didn't get an email or see a post in the previous year's thread; which may have had something to do with it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Leperflesh posted:

I sent emails to everyone on the official Trad Games Email List! If you'd like to sign up, please send a sign-up email to tgsecretsanta@gmail.com and I'll be happy to put you on there. The list is only used once per year to send out an announcement email and that's it.

Also, I never even considered posting in the previous years' thread... hmm.

I did cross-post in several of the more trafficked threads in TG, but I feel like it's probably not OK to just spam every thread. And this thread has been stickied for the last week, but I suspect (like me) many posters rarely actually navigate the forums, mostly just reading and posting in TG threads they've bookmarked using the control panel.

But yeah it's worrying that people aren't even aware the thread is going on. Any ideas?

e. TGSS 2016 thread is already archived, so I cannot post an announcement in it.

I coulda sworn I signed up for said mailing list, hence my confusion about not getting the e-mail. That said, I've gone back through my Sent history, and I guess I imagined that. (Also, I can't believe I've made the same stupid joke in the subject line EVERY SINGLE YEAR I'VE SIGNED UP)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
A parcel of holiday cheer has been ordered! It's a little less cheerful that it could be though...Amazon seems to have cut back on what can and can't be gift wrapped.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Friendly reminder; if you're Krysmphoenix's Santa, PM me if you need gift advice or whatever. They're one of my housemates.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bruxism posted:

My gift arrived already! Both Codenames and the Duet version PLUS a Broken Token organizer! Thank you secret santa for being so generous. My wife and I are already reading through Duet and I'm looking forward to playing the original version with my inlaws when they visit.

Fun fact; your parcel was actually supposed to be two parcels that weren't going to arrive til Tuesday and Wednesday. So...yeah, Amazon went above and beyond on that one! If you organize it right, you can condense both games into a single box with that organizer; and as such you can end up using the Duet word cards with original; or vice versa!

Merry Goonmas!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Santa! I love little tiny LEGO ships, and I've been jonsing for another Elder Sign expansion. And my wife will like the Sentinals expansion! 10/10 would gift with again!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Tambo posted:

Glad you like it! (Also I'm vindicated in my belief that everyone loves tiny LEGO ships)

I put it right next to my tiny lambda shuttle :D

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

thegodofchuck posted:

In case anyone else wanted to see my cool loot that didn't have pictures last time...

Thanks to CovfefeCatCafe, I'm able to play "cat in the box" like everyone else!

And the whole merry crew

And Krysmphoenix's wacky badger cards

They have imaginary suits and extra face cards and then there's a deck of 120 numbers and... I don't know the rules for this game, but it's pretty!

Thanks CovfefeCatCafe and Krysmphoenix!

As a fellow Badger Deck owner, there aren't any games playable specifically with a Badger Deck, but it's great for prototyping, adding suits to existing games, etc. (oh, but one suit has a singular extra card specifically for giving you enough cards to play Tichu with)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Krysmphoenix posted:

Forbidden Island is a game I can play with jivjov

I actually just ordered a copy of Forbidden Island as a gift for someone else...and I had a mass wave of cognitive dissonance seeing one on the dining room table mere hours later. Glad to be able to give this one a go sometime though! Thanks Krysm's Santa!

• Locked thread