Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
OK, I‘ve been interested in stuff like this for some time now, and this year is the first time I have a paying job and can actually afford sending out gifts! Time to make someone happy! With gifts!!!

Preferences:
Wow, where to start? I have tons of interests, and my tiny apartment is overflowing with dumb poo poo I‘ve collected. (There‘s a Lego rocket motor half-finished on my desk, for example. And a dusty space ship model with almost-finished coat directly beneath it.)

Generally, science fictiony stuff would be OK. The more strange or obscure, the better. I‘m especially a sucker for space ship models, even though I have neither the space nor the time to actually build them! Miniatures would probably be better, but I wouldn‘t be grumpy to get a book or something instead. (One of my most cherished treasures is a book with line drawings from Perry Rhodan space ships.)

A fair warning: I know it‘s unfair, but cardboard representing stuff gives me the creeps. I'm only mentioning this because I‘ve seen someone posting in some other thread about some kind of odd space wargame using cardboard as miniatures and it was the weirdest poo poo I‘ve ever seen. And not in a good way. I‘d rather have space ships represented by punches straight into my face than dead trees, thank you. (Believe me, I know how hypocritical that sounds after my bit above about liking books, but „cardboard“ and „models“ shouldn‘t belong together, that‘s my honest feeling.)

Also no boardgames, please. I have neither enough free space, nor do I know people who would be interested in playing boardgames, so sending me a boardgame is effectively like accidentally throwing it out of the window and hitting someone in the head: It will make two people unhappy.

Lower Saxony, Germany (If you have ever heard of Perry Rhodan, you probably already knew.)

Solemn Vow
I swear solemnly to not be a loving shithead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Gift(s) procured, now I just need to prepare the package. Too bad all shops with package material close around the same time here, and too late for me to get anything today, which means I'll need an extra day to get the stuff I need after work tomorrow. If nothing else goes wrong (part of my gifts was a local specialty, which I made on Sunday, but it separated back into its constituents over night in the fridge, so that was embarrassing), I should be able to ship it during lunch on Wednesday.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Gifts launched! Two packages, should arrive between Saturday and next Tuesday

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm just speculating here, but I feel that's because Santa #1 is an idiot at packing. I'm sure that moron used a ton of packaging material, only to have the package still rattle in the end. Just some weirdly specific feeling I have here.

Also my guts are telling me that there's another gift coming, just on the slower lane of the post ways.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lichtenstein posted:

I can happily report that the remaining baggage of the Sled Force One has safely arrived at its destination - and it's positively soundproof this time!

Now I'm just left worrying about my own santees. :ohdear:

Allegedly, the stuff inside the second package is supposed to stay fresh for months, and I packed them in air-tight. If you still don't want to risk it, eat it now.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So, a couple days ago I received something. Too bad I also fell ill a couple of days, which is why I can only post now about it!

A book about space ships! Thank you, Secret Santa! I'd never even imagined something like this existed, I guess I should search more in the future! I've already flipped through it, and some of the space ships are really, really good! I'm planning to sit down at some point to read it more closely. Anyway, awesome gift!

(One weird thing though, the package arrived open. Didn't look very safe to me, hopefully whoever opened it didn't take anything.)

Sadly I don't have a cat inspector. My cat prefers to sleep, leaving the hard work of inspecting mail to me. She's like the least curious cat ever, it's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lichtenstein posted:

I threw a little alt-christmas party for close friends tonight and couldn't wait any longer to open my sweet loot!

All boxes required careful inspection, but why use some silly animal for that, when one could enlist the world's greatest detective? I started with the smaller boxes and...

... The santa turned out to have an impeccable taste in cardboard! I got a card-based spin-off of Camel Up I didn't even know existed. It seems to be basically the same thing, but slightly refined - which, given the original is really fun, is pretty great!

Then there's the Space Alert expansion I went rather apeshit about. I had difficulty grabbing ahold of it and my most 'hardcore' group of gamers was finding the base game slightly easier than I'd like them to, so I spent a good part of the evening giggling at the poo poo Vlaada cooked up.

Thanks a lot, Santa!

The gift from the other santa was more puzzling: this photo looks like two pieces of poop in evidence bags, but in real life they rather resembled cheap chinese slippers sold at bazaars. However, a quick sniff gave the game away - they were actually delicious biscuits!

I devoured one of them with friends and they were really good, if hard to describe why - they're basically sponge cakes with a tint of chocolate, but really good, soft and airy. It's hard to believe they sat in a box for a few weeks beforehand!

The other box contained a letter explaining these weird biscuits in detail, including their XVIII-century origin story. I really enjoyed this little history lesson, the kind of semi-useless trivia being a nerd is all about. While Welfenspeise (the original planned dessert) doesn't sound like something that would survive the travel intact, it is mighty intriguing weird little thing. I might attempt doing one myself if I find a recipe!

And that's before we even get to the hot & trending game I was very generously gifted! I might have to keep it a secret for a while, or my friends will hound me night and day to set up a game night. I also found it amusing for a German tradgames goon to be surprised about the current state of boardgaming, given what a driving force the country is for the industry!

Man, I keep getting really cool stuff from this each year. Goon santas are the best!

PS. I hope I'll be able to do some wikipedia surfing on the Hoya-Oldenburg beef once I fully sober up, that stuff sounds interesting!

Nice to hear you liked this crazy poo poo I've send you! Also nice to hear Nienburg's tourism website wasn't lying as they claimed Bärentatzen would stay fresh for months! :v:

The Hoya-Oldenburg feud isn't on Wikipedia though, as a fair warning. At least I couldn't find it while looking. The story about a Count of Hoya spending multiple years in a wooden cage in Oldenburg is from this book: Garnison und Gesellschaft: Nienburg und seine Soldaten

Well, at least I think it's in there, it's been about 13 years since I've read that book. Which is in German. And has no English translation. gently caress, now I feel I should buy it and read it again.

Eh, maybe next month. :shrug:

• Locked thread