Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Kerbtree posted:

Oh, that’s it. Good catch. Never happened until the last few days. The screen says to tap it to charge to full.

Ya - it tries to be predictive on your typical use. Mine will typically charge to 80% M-Th and then to 100% for the weekend when I work out more. I haven’t figured out an exact pattern but this has been true for a couple months now.

It’s a battery health thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

My series 5 is at 82% battery health. Does Apple care about battery health when you trade it in? Looks like I can get $90 for it.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Russian Bear posted:

My series 5 is at 82% battery health. Does Apple care about battery health when you trade it in? Looks like I can get $90 for it.

They won’t care about the battery health no.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Is there an app that displays sunrise/sunset as a complication that works without WiFi/cellular/any data connection? As in, in the middle of nowhere while backpacking

Lots of watches from garmin/Suunto do this, but I guess the Apple Watch will not natively do this? So… is there an app

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I quite like Sundial; complications and widgets and such are a one-off purchase.

E: I’ve never had cause to use it without WiFi but I’m reasonably certain it doesn’t need a network connection.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

the website reads like it works without a data connection, and it looks nice; i've emailed the developer.

Other garmin/suunto watches will also track barometric pressure and give a warning when it's dropping quickly, indicating a storm approaching; is there anything like that for apple watches? obviously has to work offline and with the internal barometer only

it's hard to search for these things because there are a million "tornado alert" apps or whatever

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does the stock sunrise/sunset option need a cell signal? Because I feel like I've used it out in the sticks but it's also possible it just caches the next 24 hours or something.

I'm rarely completely without signal for more than 48 hours.. it's crazy how many remote spots have cell access these days.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Does anyone have an idea why when you look at "Sharing" with friends and family under Fitness/rings thing, everything says 0, but it works on the actual phone?

I tried restarting both, but it only works on the phone, the Watch forever says 0 and it used to be fine. I know there was that update last week or whatever, but I wouldn't think it'd blow the works up. We just have friendly bets, and I'd rather the Watch say the same stuff the phone does, as it works with everything else, Reminders, Calendars, Calls, texts, etc.

This one thing is just broken and I don't know why.

edit: Obviously it shows mine, just no-one else's, and no I'm not blocked from Fitness Sharing, else it wouldn't show up on the phone, plus it's family and they can see mine. Very strange :psyduck:

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 3, 2024

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Well gently caress all that, I restarted the phone just for giggles and it works again. Weird.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

My first gen finally seemed to see its last a few days ago, the screen came detached and I think it’s because the battery is starting to expand.

It lasted almost a decade of daily use. It went through the washing machine once, I dunked it in soapy chemical water while doing dishes at work, and swam with it on in rivers and lakes. It still turns on, but I don’t want to mess with it with that battery.
Still, I’m impressed how long it lasted considering how I treated it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just don't be like that goon who suggested they were going to superglue the screen back on and give the watch to a "friend"

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Just don't be like that goon who suggested they were going to superglue the screen back on and give the watch to a "friend"

An exploding watch is the gift that keeps on giving.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's an app I want to be able to run from the watch face but it doesn't offer one of those fancy corner complications that fits around a circular face. Is there any way to work around that? A shortcut is an obvious solution and I have one set up, but tapping the icon on the watch brings up the shortcut selection list and makes me hit the 'run' button, which is pretty stupid.

It's a series 8 so near as I can tell I can't use any of the fancy new gestures or run a shortcut with the double finger pinch thing. Granted, the documentation on this feature is pretty vague so maybe I just missed how to get it to actually work.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Whine at the dev to make a circular complication, basically.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Yeah, that, basically.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
When did the Recent Apps page behavior change, in that it'll only allow you half a second to react before making the last open app active, when entering the app stack from the watch face?

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I've recently come over to ios from Android for phones, partially because my spouse just did, partially because of theoretically better consumer privacy, muchly because I'd been looking for an excuse to do so because I own a ton of iOS audio apps from having had ipads for a decade and a half.

I got a watch SE used from a goon for a reasonable price, and even though the battery life did indeed turn out to be a deal breaker for me, the thing is just fundamentally so much more useful than the best WearOS device I tried (watch 6) that it makes me understand how far behind the android ecosystem really is on that front.

Apple gave me close to the same amount I'd paid for the the thing in trade in, so I decided to be stupid and get an Ultra 2, because I think I'm going to be unhappy with anything that can't outlast a 44mm Watch 6, and I just couldn't convince myself that any of the other apple watches do, the ultra 2 is twice the battery life of anything else. I don't mind charging stuff once a day but it's nice to be able to forget to do that and still have my alarm clock work. If I am going to wear one of these dumb things at all it needs to not be an obnoxious amount of mental overhead compared to the drawer full of completely fine $10-to-$50 dumb watches I have.

This thing costs more than I paid for my 14pro phone, or most of the computers I've owned in life :raise:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Combat Pretzel posted:

When did the Recent Apps page behavior change, in that it'll only allow you half a second to react before making the last open app active, when entering the app stack from the watch face?

I kinda like it I guess. It reduces the time to switch back 1 app by 1 press? Otherwise no user impact besides the reaction time thing. Not sure when that changed

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Is there really no apple notes app for this thing?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I use reminders as a stop-gap for Notes. Annoying, but I've learned to work around it.

It just means I have to transcribe a bit when I get home unfortunately, and doesn't work if you actually want to access existing notes, obviously :(

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

I use reminders as a stop-gap for Notes. Annoying, but I've learned to work around it.

It just means I have to transcribe a bit when I get home unfortunately, and doesn't work if you actually want to access existing notes, obviously :(

This is dumb - I wanted to let my anylist sub lapse and use notes :(

Guess I will just have to use my phone like a caveman

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Combat Pretzel posted:

must be new-ish in a point update to watchOS 10

thank you for mentioning this actually, because the thing that I was really annoyed by with the change to control center / recent apps made me think there wasn't a way to quick switch between apps, but it'll swap between the last two active ones now, which is exactly the old behavior

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
Well, got the Ultra 2, updated to latest watch OS, transferred everything.

I have to admit I like it and I generally grow to hate devices within 48 hrs, but sometimes it takes 2 weeks so we'll see.

I was afraid it would be too big for my bird like wrists but it seems fine, and yes it's just a better ecosystem and overall much better experience than WearOS was. I could never get the loving slopes app on the Android side properly tracking my heart rate. Now I have printouts of my alpine runs showing my heart rate the whole time. Why this is useful? I don't know, it's probably not other than keeping an eye on my overall cardio health, but Data Is Beautful and all that.

Battery life seems great, too. I had to leave it on the charger to do the OS update so it got to a full 100, but I put it on at like 5 yesterday and I still have 85%. The "18 hour" Apple Watch I have was going from 100% to like 25% overnight.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If I disable AOD, if the Ultra 2 was charged to 100%, I can get nearly three days out of it (incl. sleep tracking), which includes a half an hour of fitness tracking.

Initially I got it for snowboarding, to ensure Slopes lasts the whole day, with what my previous AW8 balking at 7-8 hours of continuous fitness tracking. But whatever Slopes does, when the watch is fully charged, I’m left with 75-80% battery after 7 hours. The watch is neat.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I feel like maybe I just got lucky with my S8 battery based on anecdotes? Or maybe they just all got unlucky. After a year, it finishes the most intensive days (which will include up to all of; sleep tracking overnight, AOD on, 2 hours walk tracking, 30min-1hr other workout tracking that doesn't use GPS, no audio) with like 10-15% left in the tank when it goes back on the charger for an hour. I've had approximately this usage pattern for the whole year. Health readout shows 92%.

If I ever do get an Ultra it will absolutely be because of the ludicrous battery that'll let me straight up forget to charge it some nights.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Even with AOD my average usage on the Ultra II seems to be about 30-40% a day. If I had AOD off I could probably go three days between charges and still have 30%+ left.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If I don't log any gps workouts my S8 will go two days (AOD is off). That's on the 41mm too, which gets the tiniest battery.

Someday they'll have magic batteries that let us go a week but I'm not holding my breath. Ultra does everything right but the size, I really don't want a brick strapped to my wrist.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It isn’t as big as you’d think. If I would have decided by reference images that people posted for bragging rights on various forums, I’d have bought an 41mm one. Apparently everyone either has leeks for arms, or is using super wide angle lenses.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Well yes everyone on the internet lies and phone cameras are horrible. But I tried it on at the store too and just wasn't my thing.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I tried it in the store and size is fine, I just think it's ugly. Maybe it'll get a new body style this year along with the Apple Watch X. (I am almost definitely getting a new Watch in the fall.)

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

It’s a combination of everyone online having noodle wrists, and Apple I suspect intentionally using noodle wristed models for the Ultra advertising.

Since it really isn’t that much bigger than the big regular one, they needed to emphasize the size somehow, so using a smaller wrist person for the product shots makes it feel bigger

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

In the end, for me, it was an unnecessary purchase, because the battery concerns were alleviated by the relevant app somehow. I guess the dual-frequency GPS in the watch is an advantage, with what Slopes wanting to run entirely on the watch, if you insist on HR readings. (Actually, it's hybrid control mode, i.e. tracking both HR and GPS on the watch, but control via phone, is kinda nice.)

But yeah, I feared the worst, but it isn't that much larger than the 45mm I had before.

--edit: Too bad the dark titanium thing never happened.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 27, 2024

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Slopes on the Ultra owns. I don't even bother pausing it during lunch or beer breaks.

I have noticed that with some double workout days (gym and hockey) on my Ultra 1, I'll end the day at like 20% nowadays rather than 50%. I'm down to 90% health already after 14 months, but at least I still haven't had to charge mid-day at 5pm like I had to after 12-18 months of my 3/5/6. Hoping it hits 80% within the next year so I can just Apple Care a new battery.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

My Series 5's display is all scratched to hell and the battery life isn't the best - I'm just waiting for this thing to get a little worse so I can upgrade to an Ultra 2 or 3. I'll probably add it to my cellular plan, too.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I upgraded from the 6 45mm to the Ultra 2.

Pretty much anyone would be fine with the normal watch 45mm.

But the screen and battery for the Ultra 2 are super good and worth the upgrade if you’re wearing it daily imo. I waited a few years to upgrade because when I was working at home, I didn’t wear my watch daily. Now that my new gig is on the go, I’m back to wearing a watch daily and it’s just super useful to have a reliable watch, so might as well have the best.

I currently have the cellular turned on, but I rarely use the cellular, so even with my half off employee discount I’m not likely to keep that long term.

Also, general fyi VZ is raising the watch cell rates from $10 to $15 a month. Before the $5ish in taxes. If you already have a plan you’re grandfathered in (pretty sure), but it’s pretty dumb.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
The Ultra isn’t even that much more expensive than the “regular” Watch in stainless steel, especially if you start looking at the dressier bands that pair best with the steel watch.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's normal for Apple products though. The pricing tiers are expertly laid out so the next bump up is "not that much more."

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

xzzy posted:

That's normal for Apple products though. The pricing tiers are expertly laid out so the next bump up is "not that much more."

It is for sure an MBA way to increase profit once your products reach a certain level of pricing, and it includes decontenting the lower priced tiers to incentivize that next bump up. See a thousand years of history of Mercedes-Benz, BMW and the other German carmakers doing the same thing with their options, for things cars 1/3rd of the price include as standard.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Any watchband brands worthwhile to look out for? Looking for a nylon band with less drab colors than the one my AWU2 shipped with.

All these Chinese alphabet soup brands on Amazon et al don't do it for me. I tried a few a while ago, but they all had too much gaps and tolerances in the sliding mechanism/attachment slots on my previous watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
First party bands are the one thing the AWU is really lacking in. Not enough choices, not interesting enough colors, etc.