Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Duckman2008 posted:

Also, general fyi VZ is raising the watch cell rates from $10 to $15 a month. Before the $5ish in taxes. If you already have a plan you’re grandfathered in (pretty sure), but it’s pretty dumb.

Dammit Verizon

Edit: Page snipe, but still, drat Verizon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

Also, general fyi VZ is raising the watch cell rates from $10 to $15 a month. Before the $5ish in taxes. If you already have a plan you’re grandfathered in (pretty sure), but it’s pretty dumb.

Verizon is so lovely lol

If I could switch I would.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah it pisses me off too.

Cell usage on the watch is so minimal, it’s already basically free money.

If you’re on the premium plan it goes from $15 to $7.50.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Got my son an Apple Watch with cellular for his birthday, primarily to use so we can contact him when he's away from the house and see his location in the neighborhood. Family sharing is set up properly, his watch has location services and share my location turned on, and whether he is connected to the WiFi in our house or LTE all Find My says is "No Location Found".

Getting the same error while looking for him in Find My on iPhone, Mac, my own Apple Watch and iPad. Is there a fix for this?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Sock The Great posted:

Got my son an Apple Watch with cellular for his birthday, primarily to use so we can contact him when he's away from the house and see his location in the neighborhood. Family sharing is set up properly, his watch has location services and share my location turned on, and whether he is connected to the WiFi in our house or LTE all Find My says is "No Location Found".

Getting the same error while looking for him in Find My on iPhone, Mac, my own Apple Watch and iPad. Is there a fix for this?

is he actually sharing his location with you? having share my location on only enables the ability to share a location. you have to specifically share your location with someone after that's turned on. perhaps that's what you meant by "family sharing is set up properly" but just making sure (i've never used that feature since i dont have a family :lol:)

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I have been trying to update my watch (S5) and my daughter’s watch (SE) on the watch themselves. For some reason, they are both coming up with errors saying that they cannot check for any updates.

Anyone else having this? If so, how did you update them?

Edit: it was caused by the phones not being updated. It is all good now.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 5, 2024

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah it pisses me off too.

Cell usage on the watch is so minimal, it’s already basically free money.

If you’re on the premium plan it goes from $15 to $7.50.

Let me guess, if you upgrade your watch, that’s considered a “new” plan and you lose the grandfathered rate? It’ll make me more iffy about upgrading from U1 or just cancel cellular entirely. I guess we’ll see what happens this fall.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

EconOutlines posted:

Let me guess, if you upgrade your watch, that’s considered a “new” plan and you lose the grandfathered rate? It’ll make me more iffy about upgrading from U1 or just cancel cellular entirely. I guess we’ll see what happens this fall.

Probably not tbh, but not 100% sure.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Is there any way to set your Apple Watch to ping someone else phone? My girlfriend always asks me to do it via my phone if she can’t find hers. All the locations sharing settings etc are on but it doesn’t seem to be an option.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Sri.Theo posted:

Is there any way to set your Apple Watch to ping someone else phone? My girlfriend always asks me to do it via my phone if she can’t find hers. All the locations sharing settings etc are on but it doesn’t seem to be an option.

You can use the find decides app on the watch if you’re in a family

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

rafikki posted:

You can use the find decides app on the watch if you’re in a family

Oh I tried that but weirdly I had to accept permissions in Find People before her devices showed up. Thanks, it works now.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

dc3k posted:

is he actually sharing his location with you? having share my location on only enables the ability to share a location. you have to specifically share your location with someone after that's turned on. perhaps that's what you meant by "family sharing is set up properly" but just making sure (i've never used that feature since i dont have a family :lol:)

I figured this out and I am officially old.

I was tracking his location (which is tied to an old, long since dead iPhone) and not the Apple Watch.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I put on my watch this morning and for some reason it ran out of charge super fast. It was also warm to the touch. Is this some known failure mode? :ohdear: It seems to be working fine...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's a computer, sometimes it goes stupid. Try a reboot and if it happens again then you got a problem to deal with.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Reboot didn't fix it. Uh oh!! Maybe it is "trade-in time"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Usually that does it! Sometimes a full reset cleans stuff up too.

Not that I would suggest you don't rush out and consume more, capitalism demands it citizen.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

xzzy posted:

Usually that does it! Sometimes a full reset cleans stuff up too.

Not that I would suggest you don't rush out and consume more, capitalism demands it citizen.
It has lasted two and a quarter years and I believe a battery replacement would be like $100 anyway. The fact that it actually gets hot and that this came on abruptly is making me think it is actually a physical defect

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Do a hard reset. Hold the side button and crown at the same time until the screen turns off and back on w/the Apple logo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Do a hard reset. Hold the side button and crown at the same time until the screen turns off and back on w/the Apple logo.
I did and it did not address the issue. :(

However, I am going to now return it for trade-in! Hopefully it doesn't, like, quietly die in the box and get me dinged for giving them a "dead" watch.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Just got my Ultra 2 and found out they removed the pulse ox feature. :(

You will all be happy to know I don't have afib though.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Kaddish posted:

Just got my Ultra 2 and found out they removed the pulse ox feature. :(

It’s so wildly inaccurate I don’t think it should have been included to start with.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
It noticed when I was at higher altitudes during my snowboard vacation in March, because the smoothed averages dropped a bit. But beyond that, yea, it's useless.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe apple should have stolen a better patent.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

xzzy posted:

Maybe apple should have stolen a better patent.

I am still blown away that Apple of all companies didn't get away with this. Its still funny.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I am still blown away that Apple of all companies didn't get away with this. Its still funny.

It's not that surprising, given where it was litigated - the ITC is pretty patentee-friendly in general. (Apple won in district court.)

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Well, I'm slightly mollified then.

It was wild wearing my watch in the pool the first time. However, if I'm listening to a podcast, every time the watch goes underwater it skips. Pretty annoying when I'm cleaning the pool or something.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kaddish posted:

Well, I'm slightly mollified then.

It was wild wearing my watch in the pool the first time. However, if I'm listening to a podcast, every time the watch goes underwater it skips. Pretty annoying when I'm cleaning the pool or something.

It does it even if you turn on the water mode?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

if it's streaming audio over bluetooth then being submerged will block the signal completely

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I bought my wife a new series 9 last week and out of the box the battery was draining really fast, around 15 percent an hour. After unpairing it a bunch and resetting it I made an appointment at the Apple Store. The guy there did some diagnostics and couldn’t figure it out so he was going to send it in for repair, I asked if I could just return it and buy a new one since I only had it for a few days and he agreed. Got the new one home, same issue. Is this a known issue with either series 9 or the latest firmware? I enrolled her in beta and upgraded to the latest on the watch but same thing. Could it be an app on her phone that’s causing it? When I get some time this weekend I’m going to pair it with my phone to see what happens.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

It does it even if you turn on the water mode?

Yeah, though I haven't tested it extensively with water mode engaged vs. normal. I just tried it once while cleaning the pool and noticed it then. This is with bluetooth to air pods. It played find after the initial blip, but would occur every time I submerged my hand. Obviously it's a bit of an edge case as I won't be doing much or any water activities with air pods in outside of this.

What's a solid 3 in 1 charger?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

loudog999 posted:

I bought my wife a new series 9 last week and out of the box the battery was draining really fast, around 15 percent an hour. After unpairing it a bunch and resetting it I made an appointment at the Apple Store. The guy there did some diagnostics and couldn’t figure it out so he was going to send it in for repair, I asked if I could just return it and buy a new one since I only had it for a few days and he agreed. Got the new one home, same issue. Is this a known issue with either series 9 or the latest firmware? I enrolled her in beta and upgraded to the latest on the watch but same thing. Could it be an app on her phone that’s causing it? When I get some time this weekend I’m going to pair it with my phone to see what happens.

I doubt it's hardware.

So for software causing the battery drain my first guess is that because it's a new setup it's still setting poo poo up, thus draining the battery. Similar to how everyone complains about battery drain after an OS updater a fresh setup when it's really the phone doing its thing to get it ready. You could just let it go for a bit and see if it fixes itself.

I would be careful keeping it on the beta if you're trying to troubleshoot the issue. I've found that beta versions of WatchOS can be really weird when it comes to battery stuff. If you can, get it back on 10.4. I would wipe it again but this time during setup DO NOT restore it from a backup. I would also not install 3rd party apps on it to start. See how it behaves and then start adding apps a couple at a time, noting if the battery does weird stuff after installing those couple of apps.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

There’s also something wacky with 10.4 and causing excessive battery drain for certain people (not me, shockingly). My daughter was seeing it happen to her but a hard reboot (hold down crown and side button til you see the Apple logo) seemed to work. But if a re-pair didn’t fix it, that’s weird.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I got my first ever one of these (an SE 2nd gen, which was on sale on Amazon) a couple weeks ago and it's been really nice to have notifications on my wrist, be able to hold it up to my mouth and tell it to set a timer and it does, and perhaps the most magic of all, I went to CVS earlier today and just held my watch up to the reader to pay :eyepop: I remember the first time I used Apple Pay on my phone was at a McDonalds and I thought that was black magic, but now I don't even need to take my phone out my pocket for that! Truly, we live in the future.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

There’s also something wacky with 10.4 and causing excessive battery drain for certain people (not me, shockingly). My daughter was seeing it happen to her but a hard reboot (hold down crown and side button til you see the Apple logo) seemed to work. But if a re-pair didn’t fix it, that’s weird.

I saw some posts about that on Reddit and one user said that the beta fixed it for them, that’s why I updated. I’ve turned off the beta on the watch now and will get back on stable once it’s available. Hopefully it is some sort of indexing or something going on and the issue clears up, just thought it was strange to happen on two devices. I’ve talked her into giving it until Friday to see if it resolves before starting a return. If all else fails I’ll see about getting the battery replaced on her series 3.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Rageaholic posted:

I got my first ever one of these (an SE 2nd gen, which was on sale on Amazon) a couple weeks ago and it's been really nice to have notifications on my wrist, be able to hold it up to my mouth and tell it to set a timer and it does, and perhaps the most magic of all, I went to CVS earlier today and just held my watch up to the reader to pay :eyepop: I remember the first time I used Apple Pay on my phone was at a McDonalds and I thought that was black magic, but now I don't even need to take my phone out my pocket for that! Truly, we live in the future.

Wait until you try and pay at Home Depot. I had to pay with cash like a caveman today.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

My Ultra 2’s battery will randomly start draining super quickly every month or so, but a regular reboot solves it for me

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Kaddish posted:

, but would occur every time I submerged my hand.

Bluetooth doesn't work through water.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Hdip posted:

Unless you've got power!

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VauzhTAuoFw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Hdip posted:

I didn't know that. I will say that it either absolutely does, or it at least buffered enough to where the only issue was a brief skip. It absolutely continued to play with my body submerged up to my neck.

After spending the 5 seconds to look it up, apparently it works over a matter of inches, rather than feet. I guess I should be grateful it worked at all.