Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

101 posted:

Low discoverability and hard to explain to most people

Also it makes the waterproofing seals more complicated and the whole display a little more expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

teacup posted:

What's the general concensus on the current suite of Apple watches. After years of eying them off I think I'm gonna get one for myself as a Christmas present. Is the 6 a good one to get or is this a year where its like "no dude just wait till next year this one is poo poo"

Also are there good third party band suppliers people reccomend (that ship to Australia?) or should I just stick with apple. Wouldn't mind a more casual band I wear to work and maybe a slightly dressier one.

Cheers

EDIT: Also any good fitness apps for the watch. I am starting to pick up jogging a bit more and would love an app that works well with the phone and music (In the past I have felt a lot of apps sometimes don't gel with apple music very well but maybe I'm just looking at old apps)

I was in the same boat and finally jumped on the 6 this year. Very happy with it as a notification display/fitness tracker type thing. (I bike, for which Cyclemeter is great, but the built in workout tracker is actually really good since you can data sync like Henrik said.)

I assume the Aussie Amazon store has the same plethora of cheap 3rd party bands - at least for a cheap casual band, the 12 dollar nylon loop (fake sport loop) is exactly what I needed.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Are you really worried about throttling on a watch???

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

Slopes! It’s fantastic.

I’ve tried a few and Slopes has been the best by far.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Red_Fred posted:

I feel like you might underestimate the exertion during snowboarding? Also if you’re higher up the air is thinner so your heart rate would be higher I think.

Elevation raises heart rate but it typically doesn’t kick in until ~7-8k feet ASL, and scales from there. Also it raises your RHR, not your max; it doesn’t cause a bigger peak, it gives you a higher floor and a steeper rise to max.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

xzzy posted:

Real shame that the world's most valuable company can't afford to license patents.

(assuming it's a valid patent, I don't loving know and I know patent trolls are out there. but Apple lost the case so it's kind of irrelevant at this point)

It’s some bullshit and they won their district court case, they only lost at the ITC. But I mean it’s good that a patent on one minor feature can take a product entirely off market, right?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Grassy Knowles posted:

Apple lives by this sword they can die by it. Pledging my fealty to product availabilities seems asinine, as does blaming anyone attempting to hold the largest corps in the world accountable for anything, but you do you.

They really don’t assert offensively, minus the Samsung case. I work on patent litigation for a living, this case is less “hold the largest corporations accountable” and more “hold up the largest corporations so they have to pay us way more than the feature is worth”. Masimo’s a billion dollar corporation that’s made most of its money gouging medical providers, I don’t think anyone should approve of them trying to extend that into other economic sectors.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I am still blown away that Apple of all companies didn't get away with this. Its still funny.

It's not that surprising, given where it was litigated - the ITC is pretty patentee-friendly in general. (Apple won in district court.)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Splinter posted:

Change of ownership on an old model doesn't affect this?

Correct. E: also the ones that are being sold now still have the blood oxygen hardware, it’s a software disable, so it’ll likely be reenabled in the future after Apple either wins their appeals or reaches a deal.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Raymond T. Racing posted:

Additionally, if you need to have it warrantied for any reason, you'll likely lose SpO2, since Apple Watch warranties are all hardware swaps.

Apple’s permitted to bring in functional SpO2 watches for service/repair and for warranty replacement. (This doesn’t 100% mean you won’t lose SpO2, since what they’re permitted to do is distinct from what they’ll actually do, but the actual judgment provided them with this ability.)

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Raymond T. Racing posted:

everything that I've seen is that warranty swaps end up as SpO2-disabled ones

Entirely possible! I’m familiar with the lawsuit and its outcomes, not with the Apple warranty process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

eightysixed posted:

:zombie:

This is why I thought that one of the trillion WatchOS updates might have disabled it, but clearly that's not true.

Nope. Apple won in district court, but lost in the ITC - but the ITC doesn’t have jurisdiction once product is in-country, only when it’s crossing the border and for a limited time thereafter (basically while still in Apple’s possession). They can’t order Apple to disable the feature for customers who already have a watch.