Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

A ton of links for knockoff sports bands are dead now. And these are links from like two months ago.

Does Apple have some kind of claim to the band design and decided to throw its weight around, or is this just a thing where companies selling $10 watch bands have short life spans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Dang, the sport loop is real comfy.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

How bad are third party silicon sports bands off Amazon? I kinda want some alternate colors to mix things up every now and then, but I wonder how a $10-15 band will differ from Apple's.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Apparently Sleep++ added autotracking for sleep. Anyone try it and see how it compares to AutoSleep now that both apps offer it?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is there a reason why the watch just flat out refuses to register standing? It oddly happens later in the evening, where it'll remind me to stand and I'll stretch for a bit and it just refuses to give credit. I'll even walk around for a minute and nothing.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

LODGE NORTH posted:

How much do you guys think would be a decent amount to spend on a series 3 Apple Watch for just the Watch itself? Just the lil rectangle.
The band is worth $50 so I wouldn’t expect a much larger discount than that.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I do like that the colors on the pride band line up with those on the watchface :kimchi:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Getting conflicting reports about WatchOS 5. Are S0 watches the only ones not getting the upgrade, or does that include S1 watches as well?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Is there a reason why I got only 25 minutes of credit for a 30 minute workout? First time I've had a discrepancy like this.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The only new things the S4 is rumored to be bringing is a larger display (but same case size so not THAT much larger), better battery, and improved health monitoring.

I'm personally waiting before upgrading my S1, but if she needs a fitness tracker NOW and the above features don't sound worth the 2-3 weeks wait then go for it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

That’s why I’m waiting? But for the average person it may not even be all that big a deal if the battery lasts an extra or the screen is slightly bigger. Now how exactly the health monitoring changes is the big question for me, but it’s already solid for regular people.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It's me. I'm the dumb person that wants a watchface with a billion complications no matter how ugly it looks.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Isn't battery another limiting factor to thickness?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Going from S1 to S4 :toot:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

WatchOS 5 is up.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It's weird to me that Apple didn't add native sleep-tracking to the Series 4. Seems like a bog standard feature on every smartwatch/fitness tracker and, while paying three bucks for an app to do that isn't a huge ask, it does stick out on a $500 device.

I have to assume it's because they didn't improve the battery life so they expect you to charge it overnight.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I think the Nike launches later than the normal watches, so just keep that in mind.

How long has Apple been doing seasonal colors for bands? Do they just rotate the same colors each season with a few new ones, or what?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I've convinced myself that LTE is a waste of money for me. Now to waffle over which color I want.

Probably Space Gray again because I'm boring and all my other iStuff is space gray.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I guess we have to wait on app makers to update their poo poo for the fancy S4 complications?

Watch is good though. Curious as to how much battery I’ll get compared to my S1. It’s at 55% in the original, out-of-the-box charge after about 10ish hours which includes a workout. Seems good.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I briefly considered the 40mm until realizing it would render obsolete the $200 or so I’ve spent on watch bands.

(Yeah, I have problem.)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

enojy posted:

I kinda wanted to do the same until I found out that important note -- as far as band compatibility is concerned, 38mm (pre-Series 4) bands fit the new 40mm, and 42mm (pre-Series 4) bands fit the new 44mm. I mean technically all bands fit all models, but nobody wants gaps or protruding lugs.
I mean I considered going from a 42mm to 40mm. I went 44mm precisely because of all the 42mm bands I have.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Man the speed of the S4 is tremendous coming from an S1. Not having to wait like 15 seconds for an app to boot up is fantastic.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

This is a weird edge thing, and I dunno if it's new to WatchOS5, but just a heads-up: if you got airpods directly connected to the watch and take the pods out and put them in case mid-song, you'll have the Now Playing dot on your watch face until you pull the pods back out, put them on, and stop the song normally.

Like I said, a REALLY edge case sort of deal, but it was driving me nuts til I figured it out.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The only thing I need right now is for App devs to update their stuff. I need those fancy complications :argh:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

When in deep sleep you’re effectively paralyzed so, even if you’re very still, the body is making small muscle movements here and there while awake.

The question is if the watch can pick up on that, and the answer is kinda sorta. I like to lounge in my bed after waking up, and it is common for autosleep to mark it as sleeping. But unless you need 100% accurate tracking for health reasons, it’s still a decent way to see how much sleep you’re getting each night.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Sometimes my S1 would start draining extra fast, but powering it off and on would fix the issue for another month or two.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

My watch like...desynced from the phone? Tried updating to 5.01 and got errors being unable to connect. Restarted phone and it’s clear my watch isn’t talking to my phone since adding new watchfaces does nothing and it’s connected to wifi (disconnecting gives the phone out of range icon).

And tried unpairing but that errored out and now my phone has no watch paired but the watch is still acting like no phone in range???

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

rage-saq posted:

I’m glad I kept my S0 plastic box. The package for new SS watches is nice, I like the little foam sweater they made for it; but, the older style jewelry boxes were better.
Aluminum got the sweater too.

The box was great this time around, although it bugs me that the band was given its own box.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Does anyone know if having two sleep tracking apps causes problems? I’d guess not, but sometimes this stuff is weird.

Wanna try Sleep Watch and see how it compares to AutoSleep.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I was gonna ask why my watch was telling me my coworkers finished October challenges in a day, but I guess they’re just slackers.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Cozmosis posted:

Can’t decide if I want to jump on one of the new Nike+ models in my local store. I have a S1 and the new models are noticeably nicer and faster, and having swim use would be nice. Just not sure it’s worth almost $500 to make the upgrade right now.
I went from S1 to S4 and it’s goddamn amazing. There are apps I almost never used before since they took too long to load, and the S4 handles it flawlessly.

Also Siri is actually usable instead of always responding with “eh, I’ll get back to you on it”

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Do a 20 minute jog outside on the workout app and see if that fixes things.

I personally am getting higher walking credit, but exercise seems to have corrected itself. I was getting almost 15 minutes from work, but now it’s back down to like 5 at best during a normal shift.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

My October challenge is 900 exercise minutes :negative:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Check Amazon and look at the reviews. If it's under four stars then it may fall apart in a month or two.

Speaking of bands, I didn't realize Apple was releasing new bands with 44/40mm packaging. Do these bands differ in any way from the old sizes? I know the old bands are compatible with the S4, but I'm curious if this is anything more than just updated branding since there's no 42/38mm prominently displayed on the packaging.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Analog faces are skeuomorphic trash and should be purged from the Apple Watch :colbert:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Disagree, raise to wake on Apple Watch works fine for me. Always on display could be nice, but I don’t think it’s necessary.
Not to mention Tap to Wake.

And I guess if you're REALLY compromised hand-wise, you can always call Siri.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I've now seen people wearing an Apple Watch AND a fitbit on the other wrist :psyduck:

Is the Fitbit good enough at fitness tracking that people would seriously wear two devices?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Every watch is still under warranty so I imagine Apple will have to shell out

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

AdmiralViscen posted:

I want to use the advanced modular face on the Watch 4, but I only have like 4 apps that appear in that giant complication in the middle. Does anyone have any good recommendations for something to put there?
Weather and Activity are good options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If you have a two story house or live on floor+ then it seems to gently caress with stand detection