Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I’ve got an LTE series 4 watch and I’m thinking of picking up an android phone. I know non-cellular versions become completely useless when no longer paired to an iPhone, but what about the cellular models? Mine is pretty much used to check the current weather and the time, so not having access to some of the mirrored data from my iPhone won’t be that big of a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Yeah, mine is set up already, was just curious if it could be used if the iPhone was replaced with something else. Oh well, thanks for the answers.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

withak posted:

My 40mm S4 can go two days without charging.

My mother's 40mm S4 (no LTE) can go about 3.5 days, sometimes 4 days, between charges. She doesn't use any of the workout stuff though, it was bought for her mainly for the fall detection feature.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I’m going to test this some more tomorrow, but wanted to post first in case I forget. I charge my LTE S4 using the basic charger that came in the box via USB from my computer. The cable never gets unplugged or anything, it’s been in the same port since I got it. Today I noticed my watch’s battery was super low, around like 36%, around 3:30pm, and by 5pm it was down to under 20, despite me having spent an hour in a meeting where I didn’t use my watch or phone for anything. I honestly cannot remember if the watch was fully charged this morning since I was in a rush to get out the door, but I’ve never had a charging problem with it before. So I’m not sure if the battery really was draining super quick or if it started the day low to begin with.

When I got home I immediately put it on the charger at 15%, and it acknowledged that it had been connected to a charger and showed the circle thing to indicate as such; but about two hours later I checked on it and it was down to 12%. I unplugged the cable from my PC, which made the noise to indicate it recognized it being unplugged, and then plugged it back in which seemed to work and it started actually charging.

tl;dr Anyone ever had to replace a charging cable for their watch because it stopped passing a charge through it, or their battery deplete super fast while being in range of their phone?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

What’s “funny” about the Watch Ultra is that it’s only $50 more than the 45mm Stainless Steel Series 8. I’d be far more inclined to get the Ultra than the Stainless Steel model given all the additional benefits the Ultra has for only an extra Grant.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

The Grumbles posted:

I mean this is the Tim Cook apple pricing ladder 101 - inching you up the chain until you end up getting the most expensive thing there is. The 45mm stainless steel apple watch series 8 is already the super luxury version of the more expensive version of the more expensive version of the newest apple watch.

edit: if we're talking benefits, 'lookin' snappy' is a big benefit of watch ownership - and while I concede that the ultra does in fact look snappy, I feel much more comfortable fashion-wise with my pairing of the green 41mm s7 + a gold milanese steel strap. All in all came to about 40% of the price of an ultra.

Honestly though I think the Pixel watch is still by far the nicest looking smartwatch. I do wonder if Apple will ever cave and make a circular watch.

I was perfectly happy with my blue aluminum Series 6 until I accidentally ordered the wrong version of a leather wrist strap which came with stainless steel hardware; and rather than being smart and just asking to exchange it, I decided to just use it, until my neurosis got to me so much that I upgraded to a stainless steel series 7.

Though I freely admit that I buy stupid versions of things purely for aesthetic reasons when I could otherwise save hundreds of dollars. This is how I’ll end up duping myself into the whatever the current Ultra variant is in 3 years.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Settings > Battery > Battery Health

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Has anyone else developed skin irritation from the Ultra or Ultra 2 after switching from an older model?

I was using a Series 7 previously and it was fine, the only other watch of any kind I've had this with was a non-smart Fossil that left a red patch on my wrist for a month or so after I stopped wearing it due to itching. No problems with the series 3, 4, or 7, and likewise no problems with my Tissot or Seiko watches. I've had the Ultra 2 for about three weeks and I've already gotten the same kind of red patch that Fossil gave me.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Evis posted:

Haven’t tried the ultra, but the solo loop is bad for skin reactions. Not that the ultra has that band, but which band are you using? Does it look like the irritation is coming from the watch or the band?

Irritation was coming from where the sensors touch my wrist, just a circle of itchy skin. I washed the watch off and didn't wear it for a day, put it back on yesterday and it felt fine, started itching again today though so idk. I'm not giving this watch a bath every day. Still in the return window, so I may just send it back.

e: left out a word

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Dec 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Tap “see all models” and it gives you a list of all the models of Apple Watch that have been released, but it’s much harder to compare them on the list.