Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Some things I noticed:

quote:

All models are available in both 38mm and 42mm sizes, though certain bands may only be offered in one of the sizes. They're functionally the same, though the 38mm will have slightly reduced battery life compared to the 42mm models. Aluminum models have an Ion-X glass screen, and composite sensor area, while stainless steel and ceramic models feature a sapphire screen and ceramic sensor area.

Aluminum models with composite backs:

Gen1/Series 0, Series 1, Series 3 (non LTE)

Aluminum models with ceramic backs:

Series 2, Series 3 with LTE.

quote:

All Series 3 watches are identifiable by a red dot on the digital crown.

Nope! Only LTE watches have the red dot. Lots of Series 3 watches do not have a red dot (non LTE models).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
So I scratched my sapphire display already. Can these be buffed out?
I saw some recommendations for diamond paste.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

How’d you scratch it? Not trying to be snarky, just curious.

Turning off a faucet in my basement. The edge of the watch face scraped against a cement wall.

rage-saq posted:

Give it some time, it might not be a scratch. A lot of people have thought they've scratched their sapphire when it turned out to be material transfer from something the sapphire scratched. It can wear off or be removed.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to clean it off with rubbing alcohol and a cloth. It very much seems scraped. If this is debris, I'd like to know how to clean it off.

Series 3, Space Black Stainless Steel. I had it for less than a month before scratching it.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

ddogflex posted:

FWIW, sapphire is MUCH MUCH harder than cement. It shouldn't have scratched it. I assume it will go away after a while. Or you have diamond cement.

It will go away after a while? What does that mean?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
iOS 11.2 and watchOS 4.2, and I still have to turn my loving phone off and back on again when I want to install an app on my watch.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
OK, I definitely notice the dark-gray color non-uniformity issue on my new Series 4.

I know it's an OLED issue (my XS does the same thing, though not as extreme as it is as my watch), so I don't want to mess with returns and exchanges and stuff, hoping for a "perfect" display.

So I'm just wondering, does it lessen over time?

I know the OLED pixels change and fade over time, due to their organic nature. My thought process is that if some pixels are brighter than others, that maybe they would then fade quicker, as well, making the dark grays more consistent.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Pants Donkey posted:

I've now seen people wearing an Apple Watch AND a fitbit on the other wrist :psyduck:

Is the Fitbit good enough at fitness tracking that people would seriously wear two devices?

It's probably because they have lots of Fitbit friends.

The Fitbit app has a big social aspect. Lots of friends, top lists with steps displayed, competitions & challenges to issue, etc.

When I got my Apple Watch, I immediately started missing all the fun Fitbit stuff. There was no way I could convince all my friends to get rid of their Fitbits and switch to Apple Watch. Even if they did all get an Apple Watch, the Fitbit all is still more "fun" in the way it displays friends and stats.

I use a "Health to Fitbit" sync app. It syncs my steps (from Apple Watch to my Fitbit account), but Fitbit only lets you participate in challenges with friends if you use a real Fitbit device. Syncing data to them isn't enough. You must wear a Fitbit device.

If I didn't have to deal with remembering to wear a second device, and I didn't hate Fitbit's lovely build quality (I've had several Fitbit Charge devices completely fall apart on me), I'd also be using a Fitbit along with my Apple Watch, just because it's still what more of my friends use.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
And then they never refresh and show old data or a placeholder.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Any black stainless steel watch havers here? I’ve had this thing for 2 days and I just noticed it already has some very light scratches along the edge of the screen. I’m talking you kinda have to look for them under certain light at a specific angle light. I understand that, while more durable than gold and silver, stainless steel is stainless steel and these tiny scratches are just something you have to live with. Still kinda disappointed to see on a brand new device. Now I’m curious how one looks after a year or so of use before I decide if I want to stick with it, ask for an exchange (if this is more uncommon), or swap to silver where I have the option to buff/polish it in the future should I want to to freshen it up.

I've had FIVE different Space Black Stainless Steel watches (three Series 3, one Series 4, and now a Series 5).

The material around the edge of display isn't actually sapphire, and will scratch easier than the black DLC. I'm guessing the edge around the sapphire display is actually glass, because of how easily it scratches.

As for the rest of the watch, with its "Diamond-Like Carbon", it will also scratch. A hard scrape against some jagged cement or a floor tile is enough to take the black off down to the bright silver-colored stainless underneath.

(Some people have even sanded their scratched-up black DLC off and tried to polish their now silver-colored watch!)

I've asked in the past about how easily these things scratch, and was told that it "wasn't really scratched", and that material of what it scraped against was left behind on the surface, or some crap like that. I scraped my SB SS Series 3 just one month after getting it, and no amount of rubbing/cleaning made the scratches go away (and just made the glass around the sapphire more scuffed up).

I replaced my first SB SS after a year using AppleCare+, and then I replaced the replacement within days because of how quickly it scratched up.
I just brought my third SB SS S3 to Apple today, to get it replaced again before my AppleCare+ runs out. Its display separated where the sapphire meets the glass (popping out), so I may not even have to pay the $69 deductible.

Anyone that thinks the SB SS doesn't get scratches either needs their eyes checked or learn how to use better lighting. If you wear it like a normal watch and work with your hands, it will get beat up. There's nothing you can do about it (other than put a protective shell on it, but then you won't be able to see its shine).

The Space Black holds up better than anything other than Ceramic, but it still scratches.
I noticed that after a year of getting tons of tiny scratches, it still looks new from 2+ feet away.

I was close to getting a regular Stainless Steel, but those really look beat up and rough after a while unless you keep them polished.

Here's some pics of my first SB SS when I noticed that the edge of my kitchen tiles cut through its DLC like it was nothing (clearly my floor tiles are made of diamonds).
You can also see the line on the edge of the sapphire where it is surrounded by glass.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Taima posted:

Dude that is tripping me out, I've never seen anything like that. In awe of this lad.

I just replaced my Series 0 Space Black yesterday, and it could be sold as completely new, it is 100% spotless in the 4.5 years that I've had it. I slam the watch into poo poo while I'm walking all the time.

Seriously though that is loving crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if that is one of the most hosed up space black watches to ever exist.

Apple described my most recent one (not scratched up as bad as the one in the pictures, but with at least one deep scratch down to the metal and a few hairline scratches) like this:

"Cosmetic Condition: No visible damage to enclosure. No damage to display. Display has separated from enclosure."

If you check out Swappa, there are some Space Black watches described as Good / Near-Mint / Mint that have visible scuffs and scrapes.

Don't see the scratches? Many (most?) sellers purposely take low-light photos or don't bother wiping the watch down (so it looks covered in fingerprints) in order to conceal the scrapes and wear.

If you wipe the watch down and put it under a focused light, the little scrapes and scratches are quite visible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is there a way to delete watch backups? I have ones from years ago that I definitely don’t need anymore.

Settings > General > iPhone Storage > Watch

Watch backups are tiny, so the Watch app will be near the bottom of the list.

My 5 backups take ~852KB.