Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
How do I make my watch not track cycling? I track stuff with Strava, but the watch adds its own tracking in and all my daily distances are doubled.

I tried deselecting it as a data source, but it doesn't uncheck. I just have to go in and manually delete all the data every day. :wtf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
are the knockoffs on amazon.com any good or should i suck it up and go with apple's obnoxious pricing

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The knockoff sport loop I got seems to be holding up though I haven’t done anything super rigorous.

Edit: This one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077T9375N

I got the all black one and it’s looking great.

Neat, bought one + a matte black skin thing to turn my silver watch black. hope it doesnt look stupid

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
This thing is super comfortable, and it doesn't loosen itself as I bike to work. So long, milanese loop.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Bum the Sad posted:

I don't see how him buzzing his butt vibrator is going to get her attention at a distance.

Maybe it’s one of those old timey steam powered ones

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

smackfu posted:

The screen on the series 4 is so noticeably bigger / better I would never buy a series 3 today.

This is my experience as well. I went from an S1 to an S4 and aside from the obvious significant performance improvements, the screen size felt like going from an iPhone 5 to an iPhone X. It's very very nice.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
My launch-ish 4 is at 87%. But it's after midnight and I'm at 50% remaining, so I think it'll hold me over until the 8 (or the 9, if the 8 is as minimal of an upgrade as the 7 is) just fine.

The only thing I really wish I had is always on display, but I can wait.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
is it worth the cost of the upgrade to titanium (or stainless steel? i can barely tell, the configuration page is so god drat complicated and it doesnt tell you the glass type until click one and scroll to specs) to get the sapphire glass on a watch? im replacing my s4 with an s8 later this year, and the "ion x" glass on it is pretty banged up from accidentally scraping it against walls or whatever over the last few years

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

drat, I just randomly checked my S6 battery health and it’s at 79% and telling me to get it serviced. I am truly battery-cursed with watches.

that's wild. my s4 (picked up 19/01/2019) is at 83% and ive never given a poo poo how i charge it.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
i wear my s4 all day and all night and at 82% battery health i dont often run into a scenario where i am out somewhere and it's about to die. i do workout activities at least once per day, for an hour or more. i can mostly get away with charging it while i am showering, but it is getting noticeably worse. at most i have to charge it at night every so often and annoy my gf with my wakeup alarm on my phone instead of the wrist tap thing.

looking forward to the s8 though, this thing is starting to show its age

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
maybe it's not showing its age, maybe it's just that the home app sucks rear end. it's so slow it's completely useless to do anything. i can take my phone out of my pocket, unlock, open home, and turn on whatever stupid smart home thing i want before the watch finishes updating accessories. similar with the atv remote app.

i have nothing else to compare it to, so my assumption could be way off.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
i want the ultra's action button on my normal apple watch. my biking gloves dont work well on the watch for some reason (work fine on a phone) so i always have to start my workout with my nose because i forget to start it before putting the stupid gloves on.

gimme my button timb

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

hadji murad posted:

Fingerless gloves, works most of the year anyways.

not great for mountain biking unfortunately

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Toe Rag posted:

Can't you get gloves with capacitive touch? Seems like it's a common feature accord to this listicle.

from my original comment: "my biking gloves dont work well on the watch for some reason (work fine on a phone)"

i dunno what it is with the watch's touch screen. it's super finnicky/inconsistent. same issue on my s4 and s8.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Inner Light posted:

Thanks for the insights everyone.

A few questions for S8:

What is the difference between these two styles?

* Midnight Aluminum Case with Sport Band (black) vs. Midnight Aluminum Case with Solo Loop (black)

Is it the clasp type or something? Again total noob here.

Separately, I'm considering this type:

* Midnight Aluminum Case with Sport Loop, black simple band maybe like Midnight or one of the Nike ones, will take a look in store.

Of course will eventually decide on one main one then get the band I like 2nd most at the store probably, and overpay an asston. Then explore 3rd party etc.

sport band is silicone with holes in it. solo loop is braided fabric

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
s8 on watchOS 9.4 - told me the battery level of the watch, not the phone

siri sucks rear end despite a decade+ of apple blathering on about how great it is

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
I was losing my AppleCare+ on my iPhone X when I was moving to Canada and I wanted to get some scratches on the screen fixed. So a week before I left the US I hit it with a wrench and took it in saying I dropped it. Easy.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
the apple version of the darksky thing is very dependent on location. moreso than darksky was iirc. but like darksky it's far less reliable than just looking at a cloud, so whatever.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
my watch asked me to stand up and move around a bit while i was doing 120 down a highway

tim your watch is real dumb sometimes

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Sock The Great posted:

Got my son an Apple Watch with cellular for his birthday, primarily to use so we can contact him when he's away from the house and see his location in the neighborhood. Family sharing is set up properly, his watch has location services and share my location turned on, and whether he is connected to the WiFi in our house or LTE all Find My says is "No Location Found".

Getting the same error while looking for him in Find My on iPhone, Mac, my own Apple Watch and iPad. Is there a fix for this?

is he actually sharing his location with you? having share my location on only enables the ability to share a location. you have to specifically share your location with someone after that's turned on. perhaps that's what you meant by "family sharing is set up properly" but just making sure (i've never used that feature since i dont have a family :lol:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

some kinda jackal posted:

FWIW I turned off AOD the day I bought the S8.

It might just be luck of the draw, honestly.

my s8 is also at 86%, aod has been enabled the entire time. luck of the draw indeed