Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't the heart-rate monitoring a thing that only the Series 3 had? Or was that like notifications of abnormal rhythm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Housh posted:

Anyone have band recommendations for fashionable goons? I want a leather band but overwhelmed by the options on Etsy.

I went through the last 10-15 pages of the last thread to pull up these recommendations. I'd quote posts but the old thread is closed now and I can't quote them anymore.

Milanese Knockoff Loops
http://a.co/7vWwblE - Haggins, Atheist Sunglasses, and Matt Zerella recommended
http://a.co/hijmuW3 - Haggins purchased

Nike Sport Knockoff Band
http://a.co/68ehM94 - MarcusSA recommended

Nylon Weave Knockoff
http://a.co/7cskHts - Matt Zerella recommended

Alternative Leather Bands
Monowear Deployant - Haggins recommended
Shell Cordovan Leather Strap (via Etsy) - io_burn recommended

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I just got a S3 GPS for myself. It's been cool so far and I'm excited to see how life is with it.

However, I just ran into this small thing that was so frustrating but really simple to figure out so I just wanted to post it in case anyone else ever ran into it too.

I couldn't get my watch to just use taptic alerts for Messages. It would only do audible alerts. All other alerts were coming in with sounds and taptics or just taptics if I had the watch on Mute.

What I discovered was under Notifications, Messages were set to Mirror my iPhone settings (makes sense). Except a long time ago, I decided I didn't want my phone to vibrate for messages so I turned them off. I've since discovered the detailed notification settings and was able to get my Watch to only use taptic notifications for my messages.

It was such a small thing but was really frustrating to have happen right out of the box.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Am I crazy or is there no way to have the Watch mirror my iPhone's silent switch (if on, turn on the Mute Watch setting)?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

I went through the last 10-15 pages of the last thread to pull up these recommendations. I'd quote posts but the old thread is closed now and I can't quote them anymore.

Milanese Knockoff Loops
http://a.co/7vWwblE - Haggins, Atheist Sunglasses, and Matt Zerella recommended

Just re-quoting myself to say I got this band as a gift for my birthday and it's great so far.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Popping in the say that Weather Underground's Watch app loads significantly faster since the last update. Not satisfyingly fast but it's at least usable now.

Also, AnyList's Watch app (available through their yearly sub program) is amazing.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Molten Llama posted:

Anyone else suddenly lose Watch “Hey Siri” and the Watch Siri settings after the last update? Series 0.

Glad it isn't just me. I knew my Watch was new and that maybe I had used Hey Siri before but I'm glad I'm not crazy.

Edit: Got it to work again by turning the Hey Siri setting off, then powering cycling the watch and flipping the setting on again.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Dec 13, 2017

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Frank Dillinger posted:

Is the S3 worth it over the S2? I can get a refurb s2 stainless for the price of an S3 aluminium, and the sapphire glass would be nice (I’m a klutz)

Only if you really like the stainless steel or if you really feel like you need that sapphire glass.

Otherwise, the same truism applies to all Apple products: Buy the most advanced Apple product you can at your price-point.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Strong is a good lifting app, but I literally have to do a Reset Apple Watch every single time I start a workout, or it doesn't put the watch into companion mode, and I get no heartbeat data. It works, but having to reset the watch connection every time I go to start a workout is incredibly annoying. And about 80% of the time, the rest and workout timers don't move at all on the watch.

I've started using Strong now that I'm lifting again and I've literally never had this happen to me. S3 if it makes a difference.

Are you starting the workout from within the Strong watch app or the Workouts app?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah I'm using a S3 LTE. I am starting the workout from my phone. Sometimes the watch will kick into companion mode on it's own, but most of the time I have to do a Reset Apple Watch to get it to see a new workout was started on the phone. I've tried re-installing the app and whatnot, and nothing.

Ah okay. I plan my routines in advance on my phone so they're ready on the Watch when I start. Then I start them on the Watch and have had no issues.

I don't like using my phone in the midst of a workout but that's just me.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
gently caress ‘em, I’ve got Anker soundbuds too and they’re great for the price.

Tho I would take a pair of AirPods in a heartbeat.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

baram. posted:

i picked one of these up the other day and have a bunch of amazon credit laying around. hit me with your favorite bands and stands. the only bands i have are gray sport band and dark olive sport loop.

Thwomp posted:

Milanese Knockoff Loops
http://a.co/dTsMrHP - Haggins, Atheist Sunglasses, and Matt Zerella recommended
http://a.co/hijmuW3 - Haggins purchased

Nylon Weave Knockoff
http://a.co/7cskHts - Matt Zerella recommended

Alternative Leather Bands
Monowear Deployant - Haggins recommended
Shell Cordovan Leather Strap (via Etsy) - io_burn recommended

Edit: Also Wirecutter has Apple Watch band recommendations for Leather and Stainless Steel bands and Milanese Loops.

Edit 2: removed broken links.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 3, 2018

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I can usually squeeze out three days on my S3 without charging it or turning it off at night (something I've never actually thought to do, I like the Night Stand feature).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I recently got this stand. Seems to work fine. Just popped in the charger and it put it on my night stand.

Seconding this. It's functional, stays put, keeps the watch in place, and makes Night Stand mode work great.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Hey so an official Podcasts app is coming with a watchOS update in the fall.

Maybe that also signals the ability for third party podcast apps to also do their thing on a Watch.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It’s gonna be Nextel all over again.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the fact that it got as much support as it did for as long as it did was quite a thing for a first generation Apple product.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Anyone know if there's a good way to get MS Outlook on the iPhone to send meeting notifications/reminders to the watch?

I don't particularly care about emails but meetings I'm always fumbling for my phone to determine.

My Outlook app sends notifications to my watch just fine.

Do the meetings already have reminders or are you trying to add them via the watch?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
If she can wait, she should.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Not weird at all.

Maybe the Series 5 or 6 will see a major design revision that'll make it thinner.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Ugh, why can't Dark Sky get their complication right?

Every time I see an update to the Apple that specifically cites Apple Watch improvements and yet, every time, it has issues keeping updated information displayed.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Complications showing heart complications!

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I just wish Raise to Speak for Siri worked.

It worked for me like one time then never again.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I've been really happy with this stand.
https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Apple-Watch-Patent-Pending/dp/B0109I9W24

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
For a "complimentary" device, having its own app store should seems like its making strides towards becoming its own, standalone thing in watchOS 13.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I've never had Raise to Activate Siri work on my S3. Except maybe once when I wasn't trying.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

I've only had Raise to Activate for a couple of days but it seems 100% dependent on ambient noise.

If I'm in a quiet area, it works more or less 100% of the time.

If I am in a loud area, or even somewhere with say a fan blowing, it is far less reliable.

e: I found this and it seems to be accurate:
https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/04/19/how-to-make-the-apple-watch-raise-to-speak-feature-work-every-time

I think I just raise my watch the way they expect and that's why I'm getting such a good success rate. After trying other positions, I agree that saying hey siri is probably better for most.

fourwood posted:

I feel like it works fairly well for me, but I have to hold the watch pretty stupidly close to my mouth for it to work.

Tried again, no dice. Sucks.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Whatever Hello Weather did recently to their Apple Watch app should be made public knowledge as I've had zero issues getting the complication to work since.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Taima posted:

I used to think that but on the S5 I've been having great success with Dark Sky.

The only thing is that if you are traveling it's not super great at dynamically changing the weather as you are moving around, but if you just click the complication it updates in about two seconds and then stays on that location.

This is why I’m super impressed by the Hello Weather app. It’s complication has been spot on since a recent update. Even following my current location.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Something else for the space issue on old S3s, check if any apps are showing as installed in usage but not in the iPhone watch app list of installed apps.

This accounted for enough room to squeak by the 3.1 GB requirement. Got me from 2.5 to 3.2.

It’s disconcerting the list of installed apps wasn’t the same as what I was seeing in the app collection on my watch. Probably some apps i tried downloading solely from the Watch App Store.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Welp, the Memoji watch face is only available on S4 and up watches.

Slowly sinking into obscelence.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I’m glad I’ll finally have a real reason to update my watch to the next watchOS version.

I hate I have to unpair it (and redo my Apple Pay cards) just for software updates.

But I’m drat excited about the iPhone unlock if Apple Watch is unlocked functionality. Especially while wearing a mask and using faceid.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I think I’ve only had my 3 for as long as I have (since 2017) because the battery was swapped in 2019 for a recall campaign.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
We’ll likely see bargain basement 6 deals around Black Friday as they ditch inventory.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It’s cool that I was able to update my S3 to watchOS 8 without unpairing it.

I hope they continue with smaller sized updates so long as they are still selling the S3.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Anyone else’s S3 just really taking a dive of late?

Read texts showing as unread, Focus status syncing, and apps constantly getting booted out of memory have all ticked up where I only rarely encountered it before.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I just upgraded from a 42mm S3 to a 45mm S7 and it’s almost too big. Love it and the snappyiness of the interface. M

So far, the Digital Solar Dial face is my favorite new face.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I’d really love a digital watch face that includes 5 complications. Come on apple!

I’m using the digital solar watch face which I love but would really once that 1 extra complication for the date.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it eventually went from working 60% of the time to 98% and was really convenient. Total bummer here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My spouse and I’ve liked ours from epicwatchbands.com