Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

How do I get my watch to stop showing playback controls when I watch a video on my phone?

General>wake>auto-launch audio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
AppleCare makes less sense if you’re not buying the newest model.

The S2 is already a year depreciated, and by the end of AC, it’ll be 3 years old. At that point, probably be cheaper than AC+deductible to just replace it on your own if anything happens.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The Dark Sky complication has sucked for over a year. “Rain soon” is apparently its default state, because it’s said that every time I’ve tried it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
i keep dark sky on one face just in case, but it’s never work consistently. I’ve given up because the stock weather complication is so much better at staying updated and following location.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My watch has been on silent since day-one. Haptic only forever.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
First off: what does Strava give you that Activities doesn’t? Strava shines on a bike, but runners don’t really cover enough ground to have popular segments.

The Watch app used to be cool when it was just a quick display for the phone app and a way to integrate Watch heart data.

Then people demanded untethered stand-alone tracking and Strava said “we can’t do it both ways, but here’s what you all asked for.”

Now it’s standalone-only and it all sucks. If you involve the watch, you get no live segments, no access to extra sensors like cadence and a lot of crashes that lose entire workouts. If you start from your phone, you get no Watch heart rate, and no quick view.

Thanks for giving users what they “wanted,” Strava.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Hackjack posted:

Woohoo, went out and got myself a series 3 non-cellular version.

Is there an app out there that integrates Google Maps with the watch? Would be cool to get a mini display of the surrounding area and/or the navigation directions.
I tried using apple maps, but sadly I couldn’t get used to the phone app, the way it spins around, zooms, and translates of its own accord. Tough for me to follow when not watching the phone all the time i.e. driving.

Apple maps really works well with the watch. Nice easy directions, distinct vibrations for left and right turns. Sorry.

I use Apple when I want my wrist to buzz, google when I don’t.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

HungryMedusa posted:

This is probably a stupid as gently caress question, but to actually take a call with the 3 do you need headphones or do you just talk into it like ? I just got a series 1 on Xmas so I am not smart about this stuff.

You can speakerphone from the watch. It’s usable as long as you’re somewhere relatively quiet. Your 1 can do the same when in range of your phone or known WiFi.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

G5ANDY posted:

What’s the best app to track sleep that’s integrated with the health app? Walking me up in stage 1 sleep would be a bonus.

AutoSleep is pretty awesome and requires no intervention to track. I don’t think it’s got an alarm, though.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Apple never said, but this is a reasonable guess. Especially since the passive HR monitoring only uses the infrared sensors and not the green LEDs. I’m pretty sure that’s the case at least.

Looked it up and they made that change real early. 1.0.1 in fact.

Are you sure about the infrared thing? I see the green LEDs turn on pretty regularly when I’m just sitting around. Right now, in fact.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The watch is 90% black most of the time anyways.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I’ve had to stop wearing my watch while working with electricity.

Notifications sure feel like getting electrocuted minus the pain.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The 42 looks way bigger in photos too. I’ve got skinny wrists and the 38 still looks so dainty in person.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Congrats that your HR isn’t very elevated while doing light tasks? You can manually start a walking exercise that will count toward daily goal regardless.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Anyone tried an Insignia watch charger from Best Buy? They’re on sale for like $13 right now and throwing a 1ft one in my travel bag seems practical.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Insignia charger is bigger and clunkier but functional.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
What’s the lowest-effort way I can use my watch to make my wife’s watch buzz distinctly?

I’d love to have a complication I can just tap as quick code for “I need a hand over here” or just a quick “thinking of you.”

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I was hoping for something faster than iMessage. It takes like 20 seconds of intense watch interaction to send an iMessage on my S2, even just the 💋

Honestly, we were at a hotel buffet yesterday and I thought it would be nice to have a quick shortcut to buzz my wife’s wrist so she’d look back at the table and I could motion “grab me a fork.”

Kind of dumb, but I can think of a lot of times where a “spouse button” would be handy, but 20 seconds of iMessaging would either be rude or not worth the effort.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 23, 2018

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Three Olives posted:

Are you like physically disabled?

You know how when you’re wrestling two small children in public —one that wants to climb onto the table so it can plant its head directly into its sibling’s food, and the other literally screaming because it’s food is “too yellow,” —how at that moment the realization that you forgot your fork is is just a challenge too far?

That’s the moment I can’t iMessage, but an “IRL Facebook poke” would be useful.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Welp, AppleCare finally proved worth it on my release-day S2. Crown somehow got hosed up so that any slight arm movement would trigger either Siri or the app list.

Sucked having to spend an hour on the phone trying to re-pair since random crown presses kept cancelling the process, but hey new scratch-free watch coming my way.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I got my AppleCare replacement watch in the mail, but when I try to set it up, my only options are OS3 backups from 2016.

When I try to restore my old broken watch, which seems to be totally unpaired and not in Find My Device, I see backups from last week.

Any ideas?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Yea. I guess that’s it. Here goes the all-afternoon process of pairing, updating, unpairing, re-pairing and restoring. Hooray.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Did all that hoop-jumping, got my replacement watch running on my most recent backup up.

Like, whoa, same model replacement feels like a hardware upgrade. Apps open faster, Siri face actually shows me things besides the weather for the first time EVER. Siri actually does something besides “I’ll tap you when I’m ready.” The workout app lets me change activities without stuttering and freezing.

I only got a swap because the crown button broke, so I guess moral of the story is: try restoring your watch if you haven’t done so since 2016. It might fix all the poo poo.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

ManSedan posted:

My Series 1 is kinda sluggish. Is the full process to unpair, reset, restore from backup? Or is there another step I need to take?

The act of unpairing makes a backup and erases the watch, so if everything goes right, you can just unpair then restore.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

so does no one in here bother with any sort of screen cover or small case or w/e? Are there actually any good ones? I've tried some tempered glass screen covers and they were pretty poo poo, water got in, etc.

I just feel like I'm gonna bang it into something or eat poo poo when I'm out and about and whoops there goes $400

like I know scratches are largely only noticeable on close inspection but gently caress

AppleCare.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
*shrugs* I casually do the Applepay double-tap while the cashier is ringing things up, then just sorta hover my wrist over until it beeps.

Still feels like magic two years in.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The Circle K near my work had applepay at the pump for a while, then they disabled it. I asked why and they said it was less secure than swipe+zip code :psyduck:

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
One year and 361 days wearing my S2 never being particularly careful, never had so much as a scratch.

Today, hastily wrapping a microphone cable like I do every day, connector swung around my wrist and full-shatter.

Sucks paying the deductible on a device that will be 2 generations old in a matter of days.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Duckman2008 posted:

Should be able to sell a S2 for more than a $50 deductible though.

$80

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Seems the S3 is only going to be offered in gray/spacegray from here on out.

I was planning to buy my wife one in rose gold for her birthday next month, but I guess I’ll be chasing third party stock before they run out, and no where but Apple has adjusted pricing.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 13, 2018

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I imagine buying/selling a used watch must suck. None of the sellers on the local swap specify model, so buyers all expect S0 prices and the confusion around activation lock seems so much worse than with phones.

So many clearly stolen “$100, no charger. I don’t know how to unlock this. take it to the Apple store I think” posts that just drive down local price expectations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

ManSedan posted:

Does the raise for Siri thing work on series 1?

S3+

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My red dot 🔴 is cycling between “now playing” and “phone.” I can’t think of a time when I’d want to initiate a call that way, but I keep hitting it when I want “now playing.”

Any way to make the Phone icon go away?

edit: bug maybe? Watch didn’t seemed to get the message that I had ended a FaceTime call with my kid 3 hours ago. Maybe because I ended it via Bluetooth? Making another FaceTime call made the icon go away.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 21, 2018

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Running ios 12.1 and whatever the latest thats available for my series 0 stainless. It ha started losing the connection to the phone constantly, or sometimes showing that it's connected but nothing is getting updated (weather, calendar etc). I've restarted both devices. Right now the watch shows that it's connected which is bad because my phone is powered off.

Sooooo...

Suggestions? Time for a replacement? The screen is burned in something fierce, so I could probably talk myself into it, but the new watches offer literally nothing new feature-wise that I want or need.

My S2 has been doing the same thing on the newest updates fwiw.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

G5ANDY posted:

Mysterious huge scratch in my series 4, what’s this gonna cost me?

At minimum, an $80 accident deductible if you bought AppleCare. Probably best to call it a character mark and ignore it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
You can go straight to Aliexpress and get the same bands all the no-name amazon retailers are selling, but for a fraction of the price.

The catch is having to wait a month, but it’s kind of like being your own future secret Santa.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Deadguy2322 posted:

AliExpress Seller’s who offer E-packet shipping are the best shot for a good price and making sure you get the goods, and get them fast. My experience with knockoff Apple Watch bands from Amazon was paying double what I did on AliExpress and waiting five months for the product to show up!

Ah yea, the old 5 month Chinese New Year delay.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Housh posted:

How do I get Apple News off my watch? I turned off the notifications on the watch app on my phone but they still are there. I hate that poo poo!

You talking about the Siri face or something? Turn off “news” as a Siri face data source in the watch app.

I don’t know what else you could be referring to.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

LordOfThePants posted:

Are third party chargers for the watch like they are for the iPhone, where there’s a high chance you’ll end up with a garbage charging cable? I need to get a second charging cable for a work trip next week.

Was going to pick up an Apple one from Amazon but there are a lot of reviews from people saying they got a fake charger. I’ll pick one up from BestBuy unless there’s a recommended third party charger

Best Buy’s Insignia watch chargers are MFI-certified and fine. I keep their tiny 12” one in my work/travel bag all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I got the Insignia one for like $12 on sale. I didn’t realize it’s within like $5 of the real one now.

That might sway my decision, especially if you care about dock compatibility or anything, cause the Insignia is chunky.