Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is anyone doing subsidized contracted watches yet? Like sell it for $100 if you keep 24 months of LTE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is there any good solution to listen to podcasts from the LTE watch while running without a phone?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

How does the watch work with the Strava running app? Can you connect the Apple workouts to the Strava site or do you need to use the Strava app to record?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Violator posted:

So in consideration for those with older watches thinking about upgrading, how bad are the LTE fees on ATT (or I guess any carrier)? The plan is $10 a month + like $5 in taxes and fees? Total about $15 a month? That seems super excessive for internet on a watch. :arghfist:

$14.22 on ATT. An LTE iPad is $13.24. Part of that is a $1.99 administrative fee on every line.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Lmao what the hell? It’s $10 flat on t-mobile and that’s still $5 too much. Almost 15 is insane.

Is there some carrier that will just let me add an Apple Watch alone for $10? I don’t really care about my same phone number working, I just want data.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Seems like all the watches I look at have an October 12 ship date now.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

EpicNemesis posted:

As of a few hours ago BH still had launch day shipping (unclear if it ships on the 21st or delivers) and if you are outside of NY/NJ no taxes. I think that’s the best bet for the watch.

Thanks for the tip!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

They are also closed for Yom Kippur at the exact time they probably need to be shipping watches to arrive on Friday so...

But even so, Apple still is showing Oct 15th as the ship date for the watch I want which is almost a month later.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 17, 2018

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I do wish you could buy without the band, especially since they have stopped giving any choices there. My wife bought the gold one but will never ever use that pink band it comes with.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Didn’t get the Veterans Day badge either despite definitely doing a 30 minute workout in the workout app on the 11th.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

And that’s why these badges can gently caress right off.

Like I get the idea behind them but gently caress they really suck at them lol.

I think it’s because they try to make them geography based. (And suck at that somehow.)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Almost killed my self today trying to tighten my sport band while I was running on the treadmill because it wasn’t picking up any heart rate.

Then I realized a couple minutes later that taking off the watch during a workout pauses the workout and doesn’t automatically restart it when you unlock it. Doh.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

Best Buy is having a 50% off sale on watch bands.

Looks like only the old sizes (38 and 42) and the stock is pretty depleted but if you wanted one of those $250 leather bands, you’re not going to find a better deal.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I thought it was only the height that changed. Based on vague memories.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Why is the lock functionality during workouts associated with the water purge thing? It knows I’m not doing a swim workout so it is a mystery.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I should have said, the problem I have with lock invoking the water mode is that when you unlock it then it plays that stupid noise and stops my music.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Something I always find amusing... I go to the gym in the morning and get 80% of my move goal. About ten minutes after I get home, the watch says “you only need a brisk 11 minute walk to meet your goal!” Somehow I’m breaking their system because there is no way that prompt should come up then.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The sellers don’t usually last more than a month or two, so recommendations age quickly.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I did notice today on Ali Express that a couple of sellers offered “from US” shipping for a couple of bucks.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

In the workout app, the running distance is shown in blue during a workout now. I swear it used to be a different color and don’t know how I changed it. Am I losing my mind?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We’ve compared the knockoffs to the real one in an Apple store and I think the only way to tell is that the link size was slightly different. I’m not sure how someone could make a better quality copy that anyone would care to pay for. The coating can wear off on the cheap ones but you can just buy a new one as needed and still come out way ahead.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Sock The Great posted:

Try rolling the digital crown.

Thanks, that was it! I guess you can highlight one of the display fields for some reason?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Even Wikipedia phone apps are pretty pointless because I only read Wikipedia via google search results.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Turn the crown and you can make whatever number you want red.

Each stat is a different color when highlighted. It’s weird.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apple Watch: I’d love to get notifications about mass shootings

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I never knew this feature existed, and I have it turned on. I think because I put on my watch in the morning, before I pick up my phone, so it has no chance to magically unlock.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

We compared a fake Milanese loop to a real one and the only difference was the rings were a slightly different size. Also the black wears off as mentioned. But it was $15 vs $150 so that pays for a lot of replacements.

The real sport loop is nicer than the fake ones but again it’s $5 vs $50.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The screen on the series 4 is so noticeably bigger / better I would never buy a series 3 today.

(Speaking as someone who wears a hand-me-down series 3 and is waiting for the next release to upgrade,)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Hmm, I actually have a cracked corner on my aluminum series 3, but hard to tell if it’s the same issue described there.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Curious to see how they deal with complication updates and the always on screen. Not unusual to see stale data today when you lift your wrist which is then updated a second later.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Huh, didn’t realize that series 3 gets very few of the new watch faces with watchOS 6. Just Numerals Duo and Numerals Mono which are super basic and have no complications.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

There’s this: https://support.apple.com/guide/watch/use-gym-equipment-with-apple-watch-apdf855bb3c0/watchos

But my gym doesn’t have fancy enough machines for that. Just Polar integration.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This is what AT&T charges for a watch on its own plan. Yikes.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

So now you can pick whatever band you want at time of purchase, the Nike models are completely silly right? Literally just the same thing but with a flag that says you can use the Nike watch faces.

Or can you not pick an arbitrary band if you get the Nike model?

Edit: Ah, you can’t select a Nike band in the studio unless you start with a Nike model, and Nike models can only select from Nike bands in the studio.

smackfu fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 12, 2019

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Another very niche workout app is RowingCoach for crew boats. It measures your stroke rate by looking at your arm motion which is pretty darn neat. And can work completely separate from your phone. Although I mainly use it because the Workout app doesn’t have an outdoor rowing option.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, I was surprised how hard they were pushing Apple Care on me at the store. Even after I gave a clear “No”. “Its only $70” isn’t much of a sales pitch.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

japtor posted:

For my last watch I did the monthly thing cause it was like $3/month (indefinitely?) and felt more palatable that way. S5 came in and I was gonna do the same but it showed $4/month...I just paid the $70 or whatever. I’ve broken a few so yeah kinda paranoid about it.

Hmm monthly might be more palatable, even if it comes out to $96 for two years instead of $79. Add it to my monthly Apple bill.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s more that I have no confidence I will keep the watch for two years.

On another topic, in the Activity app, I am getting “needs more data” for a bunch of trends which I think is odd since I’ve been using my old watch for at least a year now. Stuff like “Stand Minutes” where it should have data. Happening to anyone else?

smackfu fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 20, 2019

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I feel like the Watch 5 could use some more tweaking in regards to notifications + always on. If it buzzes me, I don’t want to wait a second or two for it to decide to show the alert onscreen after I twist my wrist. I just want it onscreen so I can glance at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

That’s a privacy thing. People are saying they’d like to pick and choose which show up on AOD and which require a standard wrist flick.

Ah I guess that makes Apple sense.