Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You may have some notifications set to “mirror my phone” and the vibrate on the phone is off for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

carry on then posted:

Is the performance better on the newer watches? It takes forever to launch on my S0, and the complication would often get out of sync as the day went on.
Even my replacement S1 is seems much faster than my original S0.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Watch updates have always been really slow, but your phone won’t start an update unless your watch has at least 50% charge and is connected to a charger.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No. Multiple watches per phone, but not the other way around.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

HungryMedusa posted:

Thanks. Not sure when I would use this, but now it is my mission to try it.
Answering calls when I’m cooking or farting around the house or garage is when I used it the most.

Somewhat obsoleted when I got airpods, though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

if I'm understanding correctly locally saved files on an itunes playlist on your computer can be backed up to the watch sans apple music...?
No. Replace “computer” with “iPhone” and you’re connect. There is no connection at all between the watch and a computer, every configuration-type thing on the Watch is done through your phone.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
By the way, you should have roughly 4 GB free for music on the watch. Plus or minus, depending on what else you load, like apps and pictures. On an S1 at least, not sure if newer ones have more storage.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yes.

Edit: Technically the last time I did it without an Apple Music sub, I did have an iTunes Match sub, but I can’t imagine that mattered.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 23, 2018

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No, wear whichever you like.

In most cases, the watch only uses WiFi to connect to your iphone, and only if the BT connection cant work. This may help https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204562.

There are some things the watch can do on WiFi/LTE that don’t require your phone, this page lists them https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205547

Can’t help you on the data plan advice.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Quantum of Phallus posted:

4.2.2 seems to have fixed the crippling slowdown starting a workout and opening music on my Series 2
Oh poo poo, I gotta get this. That occasional 8 second wait is horrible.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Well the obvious question is what is the stock Workout app missing for you?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’d just call Apple Service. They’re generally pretty quick and fairly competent in my experience, and if it’s going to be a significant wait time they’ll give you the option to just have a rep call you back as soon as possible.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’ve always been Just Fine about screen protectors on phones and iPads, but they’re really, really bad on the watch. The small screen looks really bad with a skin, and there’s way too much visible edge line per inch or whatever you want to call it — especially with a glass cover, look at the screen and notice how much of it is curved, and glass doesn’t bend.

Seriously, pass on them.

Can’t really think of any tricks, except if you have a workout going the music controls automatically are put on a screen to the right (I.e. swipe r-l from the workout screen to get Now Playing).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
For the first, in the iPhone’s watch app look in General - wake screen and turn off “auto launch audio apps”.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

fordan posted:

This doesn't work on my Series 0. :confuoot:
Only S2 and S3 for some reason.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
The lag with the Now Playing app went away on my S1 after a recent update, but the workout thing is still there (if you don’t launch it for a day or so).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Some workout apps won’t up the HR frequency if you start the workout from your phone, not sure about that app in particular.

But for cowofwar's problem, one possibility is ... if you don’t start a workout, the watch may not take the usual (I.e. every 5 or 6 minutes) HR reading if it thinks you’re moving a lot. It wasn’t that way originally, but I can’t remember when they changed it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

japtor posted:

I'd guess cause single samples are slow and/or unreliable when not steady?
Apple never said, but this is a reasonable guess. Especially since the passive HR monitoring only uses the infrared sensors and not the green LEDs. I’m pretty sure that’s the case at least.

Looked it up and they made that change real early. 1.0.1 in fact.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No, that’s why I said “pretty sure”. Could be. Personally I can’t remember ever seeing green unless I’m in a workout or explicitly taking a measurement via the pulse complication/app, but I don’t look at the bottom of my watch often.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Tougher to pair a leather strap with black, though. Imo.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Does the “digital touch” thing use a different haptic pattern than regular messages? I assume that’s what Eddie means by “distinctive”.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Not completely freezing but if I don’t use it for a few days then run it it stops at the “pick a workout” step for I’d say 6-10 seconds.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I tried one for a day when I got my watch in 2015. It looked terrible so I ripped it off and said screw it, I’ve got AppleCare and better things to worry about. Battery messed up before the screen scratched.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

fourwood posted:

I’m assuming AirPods work well with the watch on the left hand? My current Bluetooth earbud things have the dangly controls and I assume antenna hanging off the right ear, and I guess my fatass goon body can block Bluetooth signals from my left wrist (especially outside). So walking/jogging/etc kinda sucks because music can cut in and out.
I know exactly what you're talking about from using other BT headphones (usually from having my phone in the left pocket) and no, it’s not a problem at all with AirPods.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Now Playing, then twist the crown?

I use the stock workout app, so I can get to the music control by just swiping left.

Hah, oops.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That’s most likely caused by a swollen battery, for info. Free with AppleCare.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Hey all my watch faces added a Now Playing icon where the notification dot goes. That’s cool, frees up a complication spot.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You can use reminders for a shopping checklist. You can even tick off items on your watch as you shop.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
But they do give you virtual medals?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Violator posted:

Do I remember right that they said the S4 is supposed to be twice as fast as the S3?
No their day is still 24 hours.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Dick Nipples posted:

I did notice that the weather app on the S4 does have problems on occasion. For example, I was using the Air Quality complication and it would be blank every other time I would check.
For about 2-3 months I’ve noticed the stock temperature complication won’t update consistently either (often shows — until I change faces) if I have the default location set to “current location”. If I set it to a city, it seems to work fine. (And yeah, I have location services for weather set to “always”).

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Me, too. And it had worked fine for nearly three years. Then it didn’t.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It’s always been in steps (hah!) of 10.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I think the prompt comes up when you hit 90% of your calorie goal.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Don’t know about the original thing (maybe it was mirroring phone notifications and you got a proximity notification?) but to pay with the watch you press the side button twice to bring up your payment cards, then if you have multiple cards you can horizontally swipe between them.

Edit: I may have read your post wrong. Once I bring up a card, the screen stays on for at least 30 seconds, movement doesn’t affect that, and I don’t remember changing any settings regarding payments or wallet.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 23, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
No. Half the point of theater mode is keeping the screen dark. It’ll vibrate on alarm, though.

E: and for what it’s worth, my S1 uses about 15% on an eight hour “overnight” if I wear it while sleeping.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
There is a Now Playing complication, but it’s a long one. Requires a whole top/bottom edge, not just a corner.

As in, it’ll fit on the Utility face, but not Simple.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It is. My low effort compromise is to have two watch faces installed and swipe between them for the complication I need.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

MarcusSA posted:

Hey yo when you are doing a workout what does it mean when the active calories is in red? I haven’t been able to figure out why it does that.
Turn the crown and you can make whatever number you want red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
That happened to quite a few S0 watches because the battery swelled up. Happened to mine, even though it didn’t look obvious to me the guy at the Apple store took one look at it edge on and said “yep, swollen battery”.

I think they extended the warranty to cover that defect for three years or something, but I can’t remember when.