Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I am interested in an Apple Watch as a fitness tracker thingy as I am getting older and fatter. I don't want to pay a $10/month subscription for Fitness+. Does this nerf a lot of the fitness tracking abilities? Reading the OP it sort of seems like you have to pay if you want to track your exercises, etc.

Endless Mike posted:

APPLE FITNESS+

Apple launched Apple Fitness+ in December 2020, a subscription workout service utilizing the Apple Watch's fitness tracking capabilities. Apple Fitness+ currently offers 11 workout types including running, HIIT, yoga, strength, and guided meditation, some requiring equipment ranging from a simple yoga mat to a stationary bicycle. Workouts are largely cardio-focused, but the strength workouts do work on strength using bodyweight and dumbells. An Apple Watch running WatchOS 7.2 or later (so a Series 3 or newer) is required to use the service, as is an iPhone, iPad, or AppleTV running 14.3 with the exception of the Time to Walk workouts (which you go take a walk while listening to a celebrity monolog). Every Apple Watch purchase includes a three month trial, and it's $9.99 per month after, or as part of the Apple One Premier plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Thanks! That's what I thought it was, but just wanted a sanity check on my poor reading comprehension. :o:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Is there a way to setup your watch via Family Setup but for yourself? Do you just need a second Apple ID and add it as a family member? I bought an Apple Watch w/ cellular, because I thought I could do this $10/month plan, but when I tried it wouldn't let me. As I am writing I remember it asked for an Apple ID, which is why I thought maybe I can trick it with a 2nd ID. But then, I assume, you wouldn't be able to use the Watch and Fitness apps on your iPhone?

My iPhone has my company's SIM card in it (and my company iPhone sits in the desk drawer), so I can't add a watch on there. I have a Google Fi account also, but it doesn't support Apple Watch anyway. I guess I could try Xfinity Mobile, but I assume after $15/line $10/watch + taxes it'd probably be like $40-50/month? I don't mind paying like $15-20/month for a watch, but since I don't really need a cell phone, anything more than that just seems like a waste of money.

Is my use case here too niche? It doesn't seem like it. :smith:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I don't understand what is it you want to do.

What phone do you want to pair the watch with and why?

What do you want to use the watch for?

This basically

Violator posted:

Edit: You can use family setup, but it still requires being paired to a iPhone with a cell plan:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211768

If you look at Truphone's how-to and plan pages, it seems like you can setup your watch "in family mode" and select a stand-alone $10/month plan from them. It they don't actually offer traditional cell phone plans but instead data roaming plans for travel.

I just installed Truphone's app, installed an eSIM, then I tried to setup cellular again. Now I get the error message "Truphone does not support Apple Watch," presumably because it's not setup in family mode, because it's for myself.

I can probably add myself as a family member via a second Apple ID, but I wonder if that will cause additional problems, specifically with the health and fitness apps/tracking integrating with my phone (the one under my "actual" Apple ID), which is the primary reason I bought the watch in the first place.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Why don’t you want to set it as a primary device for your phone? For fitness and health tracking, you will not get any unless it’s the primary watch for your iPhone.

I’m unfamiliar with truphone, so I can’t help in that regard.

I use my company’s SIM card for my phone. They’re not going to add a watch.

I have a Google Fi SIM, but they don’t support Apple Watch.

I was hoping Truphone would be my option, but seems like it won’t work without being in family setup, which is too bad!

I think Xfinity may be my only option here that is relatively affordable. I’m probably not doing any intentional traveling any time soon, which is the major benefit of Google Fi (and also I can apparently use Truphone for this instead if I do!).

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I probably don’t need it, but if I could have it for $10/month then I would. :shobon:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That leads me to my next question!! I take my motorcycle to the track. There a few different iPhone apps that will give you stats on your lap time, lean angle, etc. Some apps have Watch companion app. If I have a watch, without cellular, and my phone is sitting in the paddock 1.5 miles away, what on the watch will work? Does it have all the same accelerometers as the phone, or they work in tandem? I don't really like having my phone stuffed into my suit, and I also don't want it on the bike in case something goes wrong.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

dc3k posted:

not great for mountain biking unfortunately

Can't you get gloves with capacitive touch? Seems like it's a common feature accord to this listicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Does the exclusion of that sensor mean anything, eg is the VO2 max estimate no longer valid, or is it literally just you cannot take your blood oxygen level?