Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I keep audio on for my watch at the lowest setting. Helps me , when it's very quiet at least, differentiate more easily text messages vs hangouts notifications.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Rolo posted:

-How the heck does the WiFi work? If it’s within Bluetooth distance of my phone, is it leeching my phones WiFi or connecting on its own? What about on things like hotel or secure WiFi where a code or login was required? Does my phone naturally share WiFi passwords with my watch and are they saved for when my phone isn’t around? The whole flowchart of when and where this thing gets it’s data is confusing to my thirty something farty brain.

-I’m not on an unlimited plan, should I give up now on that working out and upgrade now that my wrist is yet another internet thing?

your phone shares wifi connection information with your watch, so that if you walk away from your phone and BT disconnects, it can use those networks to talk to the phone. Earlier WatchOS had an issue where the watch would hop on odd networks with captive logins that didn't work, but that was apparently fixed.

don't worry about your data plan. you're not watching HD netflix streams on your wrist.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

HiredGun posted:

Just a follow up from my last post about the latest update on a S0:
- Workout app still working flawlessly. No freeze on startup at all
- Messaging app seems snappier overall

Very happy with this latest update!

my wife still very rarely uses her s0 because battery life is such garbage. has that improved at all?

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

HiredGun posted:

I charge it up in the morning before work to 100%. Get a few notifications during the day and then use it for a 60 minute gym workout and end the day with approx 30%. Charge it again to 100% when I get home and then sleep with it for sleep tracking via AutoSleep. Repeat.

fair. I don't know what she does to it or if it's just worn down worse, but she'll put it on at the beginning of the day and at the end of the work day it's dead. Whereas my S3 is usually at about 75% at bedtime.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 3, 2018

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Zwille posted:

Does she scribble a lot? Whenever I extensively use my S0 watch to answer to texts it doesn’t last the day.

nope. she uses it pretty much exclusively for notifications.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Zwille posted:

Weird. Did ya try unpairing and pairing again yet? Usually does the trick for me.

oh yeah. a few times over the last couple years. She's rarely worn it in the past 6 months to a year because it's been so bad. One of these days i'll get motivated and just grab the watch and pair it to my phone and use it for a day or two and see how it goes. Probably a waste of time anyways, as she likely wants an S3 anyways. She'll try and con me into buying her one as a 'push present' in the next few months probably.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

The last few days, my s3 LTE hasn't charged to full overnight. The first couple nights it only charged to 97, so I rebooted it, and it charged to 98 last night. It's always charged to 100 before this. Anyone else notice this not necessarily gamebreaking but slightly off-putting issue?

edit : sweet. 93 percent when i woke up this morning.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 24, 2018

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah I mentioned it earlier in the thread but no one said anything :shrug:

It seems to fix it self in a few days though so I dunno what it would be.

The morning after I posted I woke up and it was at 93 percent. I factory reset the watch and restored the backup, and it's been charging to 100 ever since. shrug.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

So if I'm getting an Apple Watch for someone, and I decide to get GPS + Cellular, and their current iPhone is on Verizon, do I have to purchase a separate contract through Apple with Verizon at the time of purchase? Or do I just throw the phone at them and tell them to figure it out?

If I could get the contract separately it'd be ideal, but if not, maybe I'll get the GPS only..

You can buy the watch and that's that. When they connect it to their phone, the Watch app will say "hey this is an LTE do you want to sign up for data with your verizon plan? you get 3 months free" or something similar. The user can handle it all on the phone.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Apple Watch: Unless your fat, gross body is made of metal you should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

Fitness sounds horrible.

Apple Watch: Fitness sounds horrible.