Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Sorry if this has been asked but I never wanted one of these so I've not kept up with the thread. For some reason my wife is wanting one now so I've decided to get her one for Christmas. Judging by the past models, will I be able to just walk in the store and buy one between now and then or are they going to be sold out and I need to order one now and hope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

You should be fine walking in once the launch hubub dies down.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Just got back from buying my wife a S4 for a Christmas present and can already tell that never using one was the only thing that made me think I didn't need one of these. Looks like I'm going to be in a two Apple Watch household soon.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

There is some work stuff going on that is going to finally force me to purchase an Apple Watch. I'm not in any hurry so I can wait until the next one comes out. When that happens do they normally keep older models in stock at reduced prices? If so, has it historically been a big discount or should I just get whatever comes next? I know its guesswork, I am just interested in how it has gone for previous upgrades. The only thing I plan on using it for is to discreetly select music/podcasts to listen to and maybe some texts to my wife.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Thanks for the information. Last question, what about the sizes. My wife has a 40 mm one, not sure what series, and since she uses hers all the time I may just get her the newest one and take the one she has. Any issue with that size? Is it too small for fat fingers and a fatter wrist? (I promise I’m not morbidly huge or anything, just bigger than my tiny wife.)

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

xzzy posted:

The bands on the smaller watches are shorter, so if you use a loop you may have to stretch it a little bit around your hand.

But I switched from bigwatch to smallwatch with the S4 and really like it. The screen is perfectly legible and doesn't care how big my fingers are. The 44mm is just too much of a brick on my wrist.

Just note that with the S4 they shrank the bezel so you get more pixels with the same form factor of the S3. I didn't like the small S3 at all.

Perfect, I checked and she has a S4, so that’s what I’ll do. Thanks again for all the help.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I bought my wife a new series 9 last week and out of the box the battery was draining really fast, around 15 percent an hour. After unpairing it a bunch and resetting it I made an appointment at the Apple Store. The guy there did some diagnostics and couldn’t figure it out so he was going to send it in for repair, I asked if I could just return it and buy a new one since I only had it for a few days and he agreed. Got the new one home, same issue. Is this a known issue with either series 9 or the latest firmware? I enrolled her in beta and upgraded to the latest on the watch but same thing. Could it be an app on her phone that’s causing it? When I get some time this weekend I’m going to pair it with my phone to see what happens.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

There’s also something wacky with 10.4 and causing excessive battery drain for certain people (not me, shockingly). My daughter was seeing it happen to her but a hard reboot (hold down crown and side button til you see the Apple logo) seemed to work. But if a re-pair didn’t fix it, that’s weird.

I saw some posts about that on Reddit and one user said that the beta fixed it for them, that’s why I updated. I’ve turned off the beta on the watch now and will get back on stable once it’s available. Hopefully it is some sort of indexing or something going on and the issue clears up, just thought it was strange to happen on two devices. I’ve talked her into giving it until Friday to see if it resolves before starting a return. If all else fails I’ll see about getting the battery replaced on her series 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I forgot to update about my wife’s series 9. It seems like it’s her phone that is causing the issue, I swapped her 9 with my 7 and I was getting normal battery life out of it and my 7 was doing the same for her. I even went so far as to reset her phone as a new one and still the same. It’s a mystery. I’ve since returned the second series 9 and she is just using the Fitbit inspire 2 that my insurance company randomly sent me for free. I still have her series 3 and will probably take it to replace the battery if we ever figure out what her phone is doing that drains watch batteries.