Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Saint Freak posted:

Question about Frosthaven Building 81

The trial scenario text simply says 'when a trial is completed....remove it from the game and draw a new trial'.

This appears to me to occur instantly in any phase of the game, unlike say a challenge which are drawn via the Build Ops step. For example, if I clear a trial in the middle of a road event I am immediately drawing a new one before anything else resolves. I'm aware this probably changes next to nothing in the grand scheme of things, but is that accurate?

my reading on this is if they wanted you to wait for a specific moment in time they would say so, so I can't see any reason it wouldn't be instant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained
Has anybody tried importing the Jaws of the Lion characters into Frosthaven? I know there are new character sheets, but I'm curious what the experience is like balance-wise.

We've only got three locked classes left in FH and I'm going to be retiring soon, and everything else we have has been played by somebody in our party. I thought it'd be fun to mix it up a little, especially considering we have JOTL but didn't get too far into it (my husband just didn't like any of the classes he tried).

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Well, my group and I are pretty universally turned off by the whole village side of the game, to the point where we've now not played in several months cause we just don't want to deal with it. We were ending up going from 2-3 scenarios of gloomhaven a session to 1 scenario, and then a bunch of exhausting town stuff that made us all too bored to even consider a next scenario. We were discussing it this week and wondered if there'd be a way to like, figure out what the average expectation of advancement of the town unlocking buildings, gear etc might be so we can jst handwave that apart.

Sacrilege to some I expect, but we just dont enjoy engaging with it, though enjoy the actual "game" of the game. Even the massive text blocks before some scenarios (or in the middle of them) we were just switching off so hard that it took 5 sessions before anyone realised that the reader was reading the first paragraph and last paragraph only.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Spiteski posted:

Well, my group and I are pretty universally turned off by the whole village side of the game, to the point where we've now not played in several months cause we just don't want to deal with it. We were ending up going from 2-3 scenarios of gloomhaven a session to 1 scenario, and then a bunch of exhausting town stuff that made us all too bored to even consider a next scenario. We were discussing it this week and wondered if there'd be a way to like, figure out what the average expectation of advancement of the town unlocking buildings, gear etc might be so we can jst handwave that apart.

Sacrilege to some I expect, but we just dont enjoy engaging with it, though enjoy the actual "game" of the game. Even the massive text blocks before some scenarios (or in the middle of them) we were just switching off so hard that it took 5 sessions before anyone realised that the reader was reading the first paragraph and last paragraph only.

I mean, yeah that's total sacrilege, so I guess you'll all burn in Hellhaven or whatever. It honestly didn't feel to me like FH's outpost phase was that much more to do than GH's city phase. Both have an event and shopping, FH just adds shopping for buildings and the alchemy chart.

I don't think you can safely decouple the outpost phase from the rest of the game, so I'd suggest you just take charge and rush everyone through outpost. Skip the text on the event if you have to (flip it over, and pick whatever outcome you want; half the time you have no way of knowing if A or B is good anyway), just pick a building to upgrade and make people hand over resources to get it done, don't bother with stickers and just keep the active buildings in a separate pile. You'll blast through outpost phase in 5 minutes, people can safely ignore it and just shop for items or make potions while you knock out the details.

Also recommend the Foreteller app to read all the book stuff for you. Having a solid narrator, voice acting for characters, and background music and sounds is so so good for when the game throws 5 minutes of text at you.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

We started doing as much of the town stuff between sessions as we can and it has helped a ton. Typically we play once a month and do 2 scenarios on a weekend afternoon, so in the day or two after a session we will look at the buildings we have to build and the resources we have (i take phone pics of everyone's char sheet and track resources in a google doc) and do the outpost event for that week, plus any other upkeep. Then leading up to the next session we first do the road/boat event if applicable for the first scenario of the weekend, then the stuff for between scenarios assuming there is not a linked group, then another road/boat if necessary for the second scenario. It's semi-helpful that when you build a new building you don't get the effect until the following week so there's not a _ton_ of stuff that gets messed up by doing the outpost event _before_ the preceding scenario IMO. Mostly this has helped us to be able to discuss in a more thoughtful and leisurely manner rather than doing a bunch of momentum stalling chores before we get to the actual scenarios that we want to play while we are actually together.

TheThirst posted:

Has anybody tried importing the Jaws of the Lion characters into Frosthaven? I know there are new character sheets, but I'm curious what the experience is like balance-wise.

We've only got three locked classes left in FH and I'm going to be retiring soon, and everything else we have has been played by somebody in our party. I thought it'd be fun to mix it up a little, especially considering we have JOTL but didn't get too far into it (my husband just didn't like any of the classes he tried).

Anecdotal but prior to FH releasing I was still playing in a TTS Gloomhaven game where we did a ton of importing of different classes, and at one point my buddy was playing the Red Guard while I played a (super preliminary) version of the Blink Blade and everything seemed to work out fine, in general the games are all meant to be cross-compatible. Obviously you do miss out on having 3 potential non-AMD perks, but if you're the one voluntarily pulling in the class because you're interested in it that's probably not a huge minus. The JotL classes are certainly much more polished and well-balanced than the GH1 classes, I don't think they reach the full robustness of the FH classes but by contrast FH tends to have a ton of complex classes and it would probably be nice to have a guy who just throws an axe or is an armor.

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

I知 unsure of what makes town phases take so long for people. Maybe I知 weird and I already have in mind what I知 going to purchase next for my character or what I知 doing on level up so I don稚 have to spend the time in the outpost phase thinking about it. Ours take maybe 10 minutes and most of that is reading lore.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mightygerm posted:

I知 unsure of what makes town phases take so long for people. Maybe I知 weird and I already have in mind what I知 going to purchase next for my character or what I知 doing on level up so I don稚 have to spend the time in the outpost phase thinking about it. Ours take maybe 10 minutes and most of that is reading lore.

When you play with four people it only takes one person who does not do this to slow it down

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Nap Ghost
Our group loves the outpost phase. More events and more interesting decisions and more loot. We frequently debate on what building to upgrade and do we spend extra resources to double build, and if so what's the other thing we build? Do we spend precious herbs unlocking a random new potion that we might not be able to use or do we make an unlocked potion that we know is guaranteed to be useful for someone?

Reading sections on the calendar doesn't take long (especially with the Forteller narration) and the only time downtime takes a while is when someone retires, and that's actually fun because we get to chat about what build they're going for, or maybe I'm playing a class I've never played before and asking people who have played the class for advice

It's also really cool to look at the town map and see how much it's grown since we started

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Spiteski posted:

It's not so much sacrilege as kinda confusing. What is taking so long with it, do you think? For us it's maybe 10-15 minutes at most including Foreteller time. We do a scenario and outpost in a 3ish hour block at 4p.

There's section narratives - but I can't imagine finding those tiresome if you're at all engaged with the story/theme aspects. If you're not, then, sure. They definitely can take a while.

There's building ops but that's literally "do you want to buy resources y/n?" and there's construction. Oh and town attacks which I agree aren't great but they're at least fast and low involvement.

If you want my advice - here goes. I have a set of tweaks that merges construction with downtime - try and see if that helps smooth the sailing. It means less planning during downtime.

You can also just mandate resource output going straight to Frosthaven's supply to streamline building operations.

Collective resources (imo) suck some of the fun out of scenario play, but they likewise can make things run faster for more cooperative parties. Just having one resource pool (for everything except gold) cuts down discussion and decision making.

Finally just do all the outpost stuff between sessions. The calendar is important but if it's more sensible for your group to do several over discord or whatever, just do it.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 18, 2024

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

TheThirst posted:

I'd definitely recommend JotL characters over GH1e characters, if you are looking to import. They work well overall - but you will be somewhat starved for movement. JotL has much smaller maps, and its characters simply don't have high move values as a result.

I'm sad every day that GH2e isn't out yet.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I think it takes me and my wife longer to pick the next scenario we want to do than to do a town phase (unless it's like, a retirement day or something).

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Yeah, our group is really not happy with the outpost phase. Either we're just straight up putting it off to the end of the night in the hopes of getting a 2nd scenario in (then having no time to do both of them) or unhappy we don't have time for a second scenario and annoyed with the bookkeeping.

What I think I would change is:

All materials are converted to gold upon returning to frosthaven and placed in collective supply. The versimilitude doesn't even make much sense. The outpost is falling apart, can't even get the drat walls built, but nobody's touching your Vermling's mountain of wood after their group disappears into the wilderness yet again? Makes more sense to remove the management of individual resources, but maintain the need to be a loot gremlin. This also has the benefit of getting rid of the crafting system of needing to look up what subcomponents are to anything past the first tier of craftables and having a giant pile of unlocked craftable items separate from the giant pile of purchasable items.

Eliminate the town attack modifier deck. Streamline the outpost events so that those attacks are instead an immediate linked scenario with Barracks level contributing to adding some allies to the attack. As is you have a ton of events which involve Frosthaven getting attacked and it boils down to occasionally the workshop and logging camp lose you some resources. Just doesn't make much sense, if nothing else having anything destroyed in attacks should cost you significant prosperity, but the system doesn't really account for that. Better to just cut down the attacks a bit, but have them be actual scenarios you play out. The first one when you show up to Frosthaven is great, I'd love more of those. Plus, this would resolve a secondary issue with the game, where too many scenarios have too many special rules. Adding in the occasional "kill all these jerk-rear end Algox while trying to keep your hapless town guards alive" would be a nice change of pace.

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.
I run the outpost phase for my group. After they paid a little bit of attention for a couple sessions it was clear that everyone was totally uninterested in construction, attacks, or resource management. I have to prod them to occasionally look at the new items we致e unlocked since so many of them are sidegrades or straight up bad for their class; they壇 much rather save up for enhancements.

I run the base attacks in the Secretariat app and just treat it as -2 resources for a damaged building, -4 for a wreck. Seems like that痴 about the appropriate curve since we池e running low on resources a lot of the time and can only double build every 4-5 weeks recently. This way I don稚 have to futz around with building targeting

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I have really been enjoying playing Kelp. Some item spoilers with numbers I don't remember, sorry:

I decided to focus on the invis/attacks side of the class, and did my first scenario at level 7 last session. It took just a little bit of setup and trophy-gathering, but with major power potion and boots, you get to do just a shitload of attacks at advantage, especially if you have items that grant free attacks. And with a strong modifier deck and precision potion... Man does it ever feel good to just mulch things.

After playing Boneshaper as my first class, it's really nice to be fully in control of my turns.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Lord of Hats posted:

I have really been enjoying playing Kelp. Some item spoilers with numbers I don't remember, sorry:

I decided to focus on the invis/attacks side of the class, and did my first scenario at level 7 last session. It took just a little bit of setup and trophy-gathering, but with major power potion and boots, you get to do just a shitload of attacks at advantage, especially if you have items that grant free attacks. And with a strong modifier deck and precision potion... Man does it ever feel good to just mulch things.

After playing Boneshaper as my first class, it's really nice to be fully in control of my turns.

This is funny because it's the exact same thing my friend did in our group (going from Boneshaper to Stab Crab). By the time he retired his attack modifier deck was down to like 16 cards I think so he would sometimes just go through the entire thing in one turn.

TheThirst
Oct 26, 2006

Lately I've been feeling drained--I only wish to be entertained
Thanks everyone! The Voidwarden seems like fun so that's the one I'd try in Frosthaven.

I don't mind the outpost phase in and of itself, I like the buildings and their rewards, plus most of outpost events. It was overwhelming early in the game but once we could start building it got more fun.

When you combine that with all the other ways Frosthaven requires time and detail (the more complicated scenarios with a half page of special rules, to crafting, to attacks on the town, to the puzzle book) it becomes too much, though. I'd rather us feel energized to do two scenarios in a single session than feel drained by all the "extras" and that's why I hope they drop most of it in whatever Gloomhaven 3 becomes.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

TheThirst posted:

I don't mind the outpost phase in and of itself, I like the buildings and their rewards, plus most of outpost events. It was overwhelming early in the game but once we could start building it got more fun.

When you combine that with all the other ways Frosthaven requires time and detail (the more complicated scenarios with a half page of special rules, to crafting, to attacks on the town, to the puzzle book) it becomes too much, though. I'd rather us feel energized to do two scenarios in a single session than feel drained by all the "extras" and that's why I hope they drop most of it in whatever Gloomhaven 3 becomes.

While I 100% love the creativity employed in a lot of the scenarios I really wish it was closer to a 1:1 ratio of "here's a half page of spawning rules for each subset of player count" and just "here's a fuckin' map with some monsters, kill the monsters please". We currently have 13 scenarios to choose from and only 2 are a "1" on the complexity scale, and one of those is honking huge and still not a simple monster mash.

But yeah I appreciate the hell out of the Outpost stuff so much but hope it becomes...maybe more streamlined, maybe some or most aspects of it could become a bit more optional, or at the very least not give you a list of chores between scenarios if you want to just knock out a few in a row (quite honestly a choice of returning to town or staying out adventuring could be extended outside of merely linked scenarios and provide some interesting consequences without a ton of overhead). I do really appreciate the section book + calendar system and there's been several times where we've helped someone and got a "shuffle card XX into the Outpost/Road deck" where I wished it has just been a section reading and felt like they were trying to pad out those decks a bit more than was necessary.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Well, the Gloomhaven 2e City Phase is basically little changed from Gloomhaven 1e's. But it's definitely intended to be simpler overall than Frosthaven. Not easier but definitely simpler.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

TheThirst posted:

Thanks everyone! The Voidwarden seems like fun so that's the one I'd try in Frosthaven.

Yea this basically sums it up for my group too. Kinda glad we're not the only ones feeling this way.
I've thought about being the one to just do it all between sessions or whatever, but I dislike it as much as the others so it's as much in my interest to hammer an alternative square peg into this round hole as well.
Interesting note on the more complicated scenarios too. This is less of an issue but after the first month we were all waiting for a scenario where we could actually... Play our class i gues? Without having to twist into these generally weird and specific strategies. It never felt we could learn and enjoy our classes because there is so few opportunities to feel cool.

Sometimes you just wanna stomp some dudes as a release y'know

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
TIL that there are four other buildings available at game start when we hit winter and got our first attack with no walls. Figured those needed character retirements too. Oops.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
I think a big part of the town phase disparity between playgroups comes down to available physical space. I played on my dining room table when I was playing, and only barely had room for the scenario stuff - so the town phase couldn't even _begin_ before getting the entire scenario put away, and involved unpacking the other black plastic tray and finding a place to lay the map board out and shuffling through the stack of papers to find the campaign sheet and oh drat it, how much wood did you get on that scenario again? Better unpack the scenario stuff again, we need that to build a building. HONEYYY WHAT DID YOU WANT TO CRAFT AGAIN I KNOW YOU'RE BUSY MAKING DINNER

This isn't the game's fault, fh is unapologetic about its tablespace needs, but it does factor in.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Eschatos posted:

TIL that there are four other buildings available at game start when we hit winter and got our first attack with no walls. Figured those needed character retirements too. Oops.
Brother goon, I spent probably 80 hours of my life on the FAQ so this makes me sad. :(

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Just ran into an odd sort of ambiguity prepping for scenario 81: It needs two kinds of Aesthers but didn't mention anywhere I saw that these need to be taken from Gloomhaven. We searched through all the Frosthaven materials before concluding that these must be a reuse because this scenario requires FC to unlock, not that we initially remembers that because we solved that puzzle months and months ago.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Nap Ghost

Superterranean posted:

I think a big part of the town phase disparity between playgroups comes down to available physical space. I played on my dining room table when I was playing, and only barely had room for the scenario stuff - so the town phase couldn't even _begin_ before getting the entire scenario put away, and involved unpacking the other black plastic tray and finding a place to lay the map board out and shuffling through the stack of papers to find the campaign sheet and oh drat it, how much wood did you get on that scenario again? Better unpack the scenario stuff again, we need that to build a building. HONEYYY WHAT DID YOU WANT TO CRAFT AGAIN I KNOW YOU'RE BUSY MAKING DINNER

This isn't the game's fault, fh is unapologetic about its tablespace needs, but it does factor in.

Protip: consider hanging the city map on a wall

You can also just clear off all the minis from the scenario map and leave the map tiles there for the outpost phase and put everything away after

Do you use an app to track loot? That would help save a lot of time and it also logs everyone's loot. Or just have everyone hand in their character sheet to you before the outpost phase so that you can see how many resources everyone has

The worst part of the outpost phase for me (I'm in third summer) is laying out all my building cards. I have so many that they now take up a shitload of space. Attack events are so brutal because they take way longer than usual. Overall I don't mind because I mostly enjoy the outpost phase but holy moly managing all the buildings is getting to be a lot

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Narsham posted:

Just ran into an odd sort of ambiguity prepping for scenario 81: It needs two kinds of Aesthers but didn't mention anywhere I saw that these need to be taken from Gloomhaven. We searched through all the Frosthaven materials before concluding that these must be a reuse because this scenario requires FC to unlock, not that we initially remembers that because we solved that puzzle months and months ago.
Yeah it's the FC tie in so it needs FC stuff.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Protip: consider hanging the city map on a wall

You can also just clear off all the minis from the scenario map and leave the map tiles there for the outpost phase and put everything away after

Do you use an app to track loot? That would help save a lot of time and it also logs everyone's loot. Or just have everyone hand in their character sheet to you before the outpost phase so that you can see how many resources everyone has

The worst part of the outpost phase for me (I'm in third summer) is laying out all my building cards. I have so many that they now take up a shitload of space. Attack events are so brutal because they take way longer than usual. Overall I don't mind because I mostly enjoy the outpost phase but holy moly managing all the buildings is getting to be a lot
I just keep them all in a single deck and page through them. It could get bad if I laid them out in a super big attack tho yeah.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

dwarf74 posted:

Brother goon, I spent probably 80 hours of my life on the FAQ so this makes me sad. :(

In hindsight it's obvious but I had figured the disclaimer at setup that everything else goes in an inactive building section was for a reason. Anyway we rush built two walls after burning all our guards and getting lucky with three out of four fights but I have a feeling any tougher fights will be very difficult indeed. Mostly just annoyed I didn't get to advance my personal quest a lot faster.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

Yeah it's the FC tie in so it needs FC stuff.

A notation to that effect in the scenario book would have been helpful. Especially as there痴 so many different ways to unlock scenarios in Frosthaven that remembering that this one was unlocked by FC content required searching the Internet for questions about it.

We致e had that problem with other scenario chains where, through a combination of calendar-gated delays and focusing on other quest lines (like retirement quest chains), it痴 been months and months since we played the previous scenario but the narrative assumes we remember everything freshly. Glancing back at the previous scenario as a reminder can be an issue as what you need to recall is somewhere in the section book, not the scenario book. We致e just quit bothering. Maybe we値l remember what one unlocked scenario came from because the event involved evisceration, but others we値l have no idea.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Given sufficient time, I plan on making something for that. It may never happen but...

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

My boardgaming friend group has two long term FH campaigns going and they've both fizzled out. The one I'm in gets together every couple of months and marathons all weekend, and the other has played one mission almost every weekend since it came out. Both are stuck on puzzle book stuff farming collections unlocked by retirements that came pretty late. The other group is just done and wants to move on to other games with their time. For the campaign I'm in we've decided to just disregard the puzzle book and unlock the final 5 chain to finish our campaign next time we play so we can call it won. I'll never complain about more content for the relatively low price, but it was just a bit too much and should have been optional instead of required for the main storyline. Both groups also ended up skipping the Gloomhaven revamp as too much too soon. A few of us had just completed new coop playthroughs of the base game and Jaws on Steam just before it was announced.

I'll admit a lot of the problem with Frosthaven is with our group which has long drives to get together and a lot of schedules to juggle. Its hard to commit to that much time for one campaign of a game these days without being able to play online.

I'm hoping there will be digital versions of Frosthaven and Gloomhaven 2nd edition eventually so I can dig back into it solo some time and see more of the other characters. And I'm also hoping they tighten up the next one a bit assuming Isaac moves on to a Spacehaven or Firehaven or Lighthaven at some point. The extra content is great but should be optional side stuff for the people that enjoy it and have the extra playtime for it.

Funny side note - I threw $1.00 at the Gloomhaven Grand Festival crowdfunding to keep an eye on it and they've been spamming me for months that they need me to complete a response to get my nonexistent rewards. I checked it out a few times and ignored it since I didn't order or want any add-ons. It turns out they needed 6 cents in state tax from me.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah they've been spamming me too. I didn't know they wanted money but I'll not be harangued out of my 6 cents. :colbert:

I am a guy who likes puzzles with all my heart, and my group has concluded that the puzzles in frosthaven are quite bad. I could rant about all of them but the latest was Scenario 122 which was just like.......the worst one.

Scenario 122 spoilers here:

Two paths to go down at the start....boss or "challenging puzzle". Puzzle feels like engaging with the scenario, boss feels like saying "screw that", we chose to engage. Mistake 1. Now there's yet another branching path, okay whatever, that's a lot of work to make 3 scenarios in one, but you did it so fine. We finally get to the puzzle and the game wants us to solve a system of equations in 4 variables. Fine. We did that. After some brute force attempts, we brushed off the old gaussian elimination skills and got to work. Get the answer, and now that's not quite right........cue us trying every combination trying to play "guess what I'm thinking" with some puzzle designer after being intentionally misled by the text they included. Why??? It feels like yet another puzzle created by someone who has never seen a satisfying puzzle in their life and wouldn't know how to look for one. There's no aha moment, no reasoning that makes the solution stand out against any other possibility, just pure raw "which one am I thinking?". If the puzzle had just been the first half, well, "solve this system of equations" isn't a great puzzle but it would have been a serious improvement.

We were warned there was a challenging puzzle inside. I would have been happy with a challenging puzzle, even if it took us an hour to solve. Instead I got....this.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Nap Ghost
IIRC that was a Marcel scenario and while I personally enjoyed it I can see how others wouldn't

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Elephant Ambush posted:

IIRC that was a Marcel scenario and while I personally enjoyed it I can see how others wouldn't
The scenario outside the puzzle was fine - the choice was weird and I'd rather it be two scenarios, it was otherwise not notable. The puzzle was dire. I am curious how many wrong guesses it took your group.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
Nap Ghost

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

The scenario outside the puzzle was fine - the choice was weird and I'd rather it be two scenarios, it was otherwise not notable. The puzzle was dire. I am curious how many wrong guesses it took your group.

One of my campaigns is a solo campaign and I got it on the first try because I've seen puzzles like that before :shrug:

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Elephant Ambush posted:

If the description is accurate (we haven't got there yet) I don't understand how you enjoyed it?

Is the puzzle literally guess the number I'm thinking of and that is somehow ok to you? Or is it a bit different and there are actually other clues?

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

There are only two good puzzles in Frosthaven :

- Playing Trap
- Playing Prism

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

!Klams posted:

If the description is accurate (we haven't got there yet) I don't understand how you enjoyed it?

Is the puzzle literally guess the number I'm thinking of and that is somehow ok to you? Or is it a bit different and there are actually other clues?

My understanding is that the puzzle is a picture logic game (like the kind of "algebra" you see on social media) that is initially unsolvable, but then you get a new clue that makes it solvable.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Spiteski posted:

My group is in the same boat, but I think one of the bigger issues is it happens at the end of a scenario when everyones already mentally exhausted, just to be thrown into 10 - 20 minutes of bookkeeping and rarely used mechanics that rarely affect anyones character beyond maybe not being able to craft that turn. The decision making from the group went from carefully considering choices to saying "I dont care. Do whatever and let me know if something interesting happens" while they pack up their character.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Also doesnt help that our first winter phase has overwhelmingly been outpost attacks that we had no way of mitigating further beyond getting another +5 bonus from morale or something. Surprise! all that new poo poo you built got broken and now you cant craft the loincloth that forces disadvantage on a single incoming attack. Maybe you should have completed more scenarios and retired more characters so you can build a wall that doesnt suck rear end, lol.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Control Volume posted:

Also doesnt help that our first winter phase has overwhelmingly been outpost attacks that we had no way of mitigating further beyond getting another +5 bonus from morale or something. Surprise! all that new poo poo you built got broken and now you cant craft the loincloth that forces disadvantage on a single incoming attack. Maybe you should have completed more scenarios and retired more characters so you can build a wall that doesnt suck rear end, lol.

We have absolutely cruised through every outpost attack so far, being completely unassailable. But the key to this is that we got lucky with the RNG and pulled whatever random bullshit it was that unlocked barracks level 2 (i'd swear it was an outpost event but every time I think those words in that order I get mad).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Control Volume posted:

Buildings usually don't get Wrecked in events, just Damaged - this usually costs 2-3 resources or 1 point of morale, your choice.

Only the Wreck card or specific events can cause a building to Wreck and become unavailable for use during Downtime.

I was never and still am not happy with outpost attacks in general though. They must exist for the narrative to make sense, but the current method's best recommendation is "well at least it's fast and not terribly harsh."

Re: Puzzles/Campaign -

I have a whole tweaks document designed to push those "collection" mini-quests earlier in the campaign. (it also pushes a barracks upgrade.) I personally recommend it, unsurprisingly.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sW1mgQrCZSNNXYCZjklbesdHsK85yS_O8U8zUEPDgqI/edit?usp=drivesdk