Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I asked in the other thread, but I'll ask here. Anyone have a good video that goes over a couple rounds of combat? Something fairly quick and concise that I can show people playing with me so they can get the general flow of combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
How does the broken token insert handle the monsters? I just tossed everything into a ziplock bag. There is so many I can't think of a good way to organize them that would make it easier to find specifically what I'm looking for.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Can anyone think of a way to make the health/exp dials less 'loose'? Even a slight jostle seems to change what the number was on, which is normally ok because you can remember, but for the times you forget it would be nice if they were a little tighter.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm probably going to do the plano box thing

Looking for specific monsters or terrain in a zip lock bag is a bit time consuming and frustrating

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bombadilillo posted:

Also inspite of it being better then the old system, I don't like the health spinners, its too loose and prone to move numbers when bumped, I usually remember what my health was but xp sometimes Im not sure if I screwed or boosted myself.

I also don't like the spinners. I'm thinking about doing the card stock idea, but if anyone does it please let us know how it goes. I just got the first three of the planos I ordered from Amazon, so all the terrain tiles and monster stuff is sorted and it seems like its going to work great. My main complaint so far is that some of the little compartments fit the monster standees so well they can be a bit tricky to get back out. At least I know where they are though instead of sorting through one giant pile of doom.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
For the YASS in this picture what are the tokens to the right of the 5 gold tokens? I don't have those, I also don't have the curse/bless status effect things, but I'm guessing that was just something that was changed because its not listen in the rule book as something I should have.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ojetor posted:

Those are XP tokens. The first printing has a 0-9 track for XP, and every time you lap it you get a 10 XP token to mark that. Curse/Bless status tokens are also useless in first edition.

Alright, thats great. Freed up some space for other things, YASS working great for storage, like the guide says the box doesn't quite close all the way and it makes the box a bit heavier, but not I don't just have piles of poo poo in bags.

I wish there was a little space for something compact to put the decks of cards you draw from, but for ~$20 if you don't want to spend the big bucks on a professionally designed thing I think it will work fine.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 17, 2017

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I did mean the xp tokens

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I wiped on scenario 1 the first time because we forgot to lose a card to not take damage, the second time we beat it pretty handily. I think a lot of the losses in the first couple scenarios are probably also people playing things incorrectly.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Some Numbers posted:

So, while I'm still waiting for my copy to ship (:argh::argh::argh:), I'm working on my storage. I already ordered some Planos and some sleeves, but is there any DIY solution for card storage beyond simply bagging them?

Once you get the planos in there isn't really space for anything else, if you do anything with the cards it'll have to be outside of the main box.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Just to make sure we're playing right, when you level up you get to only pick one new card of your level or lower and add it to the pool of cards you can pick from when you go adventuring. Not ALL the level 2 cards when you hit level 2.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

jmzero posted:

Huh. We certainly did this wrong (for hundreds of hours of play...)

And I'd guess we weren't the only ones, as the new wording/emphasis is stronger than what's in the old manual.

I'm not sure I like this rule. I mean, I get that it makes a (considerable) balance difference, but where do you track what cards are in your pool? I also liked being able to respec/experiment a bit more than this would let you do. Huh.

this was kind of how I felt, like ONE card? That seems silly especially if I'm retiring my first character before I even hit level three, but whatever I guess he can keep leveling up if I play him outside of the campaign, right?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Spoiler for the conclusion of Scenario #4 It unlocks two areas and presents you with two choices, do you get locked out of anything based on what you choose?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hopper posted:

I started doing a component check.

Unfortuntely I have been hit by 2 issues on the punch boards.

definitely send them an email one of the updates said they would replace poo poo no questions when people started mentioning they had problems

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bombadilillo posted:

Cragheart has been the best character I've seen. His automatic damage is so good. Plenty of classes can hit hard. But managing retaliating and shielding enemies and controlling the battlefield is really strong. 11 cards is huge too.

Funny, thats the opposite of how I've been playing two player, I'm the tinkerer, son is Cragheart. People were ragging on the tinkerer, but man he can really dish out a great deal of AOE damage if he wants to burn through cards.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
seattle is a bad place for package theft, grab your poo poo right when they leave it

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

food court bailiff posted:

Does the video do a good job of teaching new players? I can't learn a game unless I dig through the book myself but I'm wondering if the video's been helpful to get other people up to speed.

the random dungeon video in the OP worked well for me, I just had them watch one round of player turns and then we played and it worked well.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

food court bailiff posted:

Not that I've played it yet, but....cats, man. Cats.

mine jumps on our table even when we're playing also children, you leave that poo poo on the table and your kids will eat it for breakfast or something

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Bombadilillo posted:

Did you think the sanctuary of the great Oak just gave you 2 more x2 cards forever :stare: for 10 gold?

I imagine they thought it was until the end of the scenario like I did until I read that post.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Knucklebear posted:

I'm having problems winning the Gloomhaven organization meta-game.

Can you guys recommend what Plano boxes you're using and how many I would need to organize monsters and tokens?

I used this guide:

3 of this kind of plano, they come in a four pack or you can change it to buy them individually.

One of these.

This works great for me, everything fits inside the box, I don't use a separate thing for the map tiles. Just stuff them in. I changed the organization a bit because if you follow that guide exactly you'll end up with a couple empty compartments in the 3601, so I keep the character tokens in there.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

two_step posted:

You are always allowed to repeat scenarios after you have completed them. From the rulebook:

when you play an alternate path in casual do you guys put the stickers on the board?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
are the boss standees used more than once for different encounters?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I think I'm going to get those standees and just put the damage tokens in them instead of buying a bunch of dice

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainRightful posted:

If you're considering an early sprint to the donation goal, you should consider reading this spoiler: One of the retirement goal quests is donating 120g to the temple, so you might want to spend your money elsewhere until you draw that.

but you can still donate after you reach that goal

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

KingKapalone posted:

Can you make a new character when you want? If you unlock a class, play it once, don't like it. Can you just make a new guy?

I think the only restriction on new characters is your party has to be in gloomhaven to make them

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Blankspot posted:

Does anyone have any experience with requesting replacement parts for the game? While punching out boards one of mine seemed to have little adhesive which isn't that big of a deal to wait for. I was sent two Cragheart envelopes and no Brute envelope though. Luckily the group I am going to be playing with don't seem that interested in playing him immediately but was wondering if I might be waiting months for the pieces. Filled out the form on the official site and got a confirmation email that I filled it out but that is all so far.

back during the kickstarter cepholafair said that they would replace poo poo no questions asked if you emailed them when people were having issues with the punch boards coming apart

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ross Perowned posted:

Wait, some of the personal goal cards open envelopes instead of new characters? Is this an alternate way to opening envelopes besides the conditions set in the rule book?

I thought it says something in the retiring character part of the rulebook that you will always unlock a new character box when you retired a character unless that character was already unlocked then you pick a random scenario or something. I haven't looked at all the personal quest cards though.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the decoy has a lot of hp for taking hits with two players its quite helpful if you're getting swamped

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
is it going to be something you can order or print out or what?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what happened to that expansion that was talked about a couple weeks ago? Is it for sale? What is up with it?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Some Numbers posted:

All this talk about Envelope X is disheartening, since my current character's retirement goal opens that envelope.

Mine too! yay?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

SuperKlaus posted:

OK so solo scenarios are an expansion pack I can buy? They get talked about so much and I thought people were spoilering me on what was in an envelope or something. What's the deal with solo scenarios?

sometimes bggstore has them in stock you can also just print it off from pdfs isaac released somewhere i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I just got a macbook, mainly for game pdfs and poo poo, but is there a gloomhaven app that actually will run on it? Gloomhaven Helper doesn't seem to work or if anyone has a link to a download that will actually work on my macbook I'd appreciate it.