Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
I assume no one knows but what are the timescales in getting this retail in the UK? I've heard anything from late Nov to next spring. I have a copy reserved at my flgs but they have no idea on when it'll appear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Awww yes. My FLGS has confirmed they have a copy ready for collection tomorrow. Now my only problem is working out when the hell I'm going to find time to play.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
After having owned the game for nearly a month I finally get to play it tonight. I am Gritface the Cragheart. Together with my as yet unnamed Spellweaver friend we are the Problem Solvers.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Ok. Just finished playing and it was great. The first scenario seemed easy though so perhaps we were doing stuff wrong.

Two things spring to mind as possible errors:

1. Do shields get counted before or after a crit if you draw one?

2. Can the Cragheart's obstacle destruction cards be used to destroy traps?

We probably left too many coins as well. I picked up 3 and the spellweaver picked up one. Finished with lots of cards left so could probably have got a few more.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006

CaptainRightful posted:

1. A crit does 2x damage. Then each point of shield negates 1 point of damage received.

2. Traps are not obstacles.

So we got the first bit right and the second bit wrong. Would have slowed us down at least.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
I will say we absolutely shredded the last room of the first scenario. It all just clicked.

Spellweaver used Ether and short rested before opening the door. I played Backup Ammo (which seems very good to me). Then we kicked the door in and unleashed hell.

The last turn involved the Spellweaver using Fire Orbs and Goggles to burn everything and my Cragheart rock tunnelling through the room to the treasure chest and finishing off the survivors with Earthen Clod backup ammo. Wrecked.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
We had our first loss yesterday. We bumped the difficulty up by two levels though, so I think we deserved it.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
I remember someone linked to a class specific faq on bgg I think. Can't find it now. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
I'm not really sure the personal quest stuff works at all as intended for 2 player.

It's supposed to parcel out content I guess - it's not like a legacy game where the specific order and timing of unlocks and new events is all balanced together. You could unlock stuff in almost any order whilst doing almost any run of quests and independently of any other unlocks (envelopes).

With that in mind we're trying to do our goals but if we get to level 9 and haven't got close we're just moving on I think.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
My friend is playing Spellweaver and it seems tricky to exactly manage your resting sequence when you're down to a small number of cards but haven't played reviving ether. Once you've played it there's a lot more leeway again.

He's gone hardcore into element management though, which seems much trickier than other builds but quite fun. He says he likes the clockwork challenge of trying to get it all to fit.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
I have unfortunately been spoilered and know the class in question. You might be right. But I don't think it's the element bit he likes but how some card interactions work through that.

Basically how he's explained it to me is he doesn't like cards being powerful, he likes sequences being powerful. We're both heavy Eurogamer people normally so I get where he's coming from. It's like the resource economy in worker placement games almost.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
My Spellweaver pal has enhanced the bottom action heal on mana bolt with strengthen and the fact you get two attacks with advantage out of it is crazy. Add in the goggles and the Spellweaver short cycle period between rests and you almost always have advantage.

Just retired Gritface the Cragheart at level 7. We shall not see his like again. Unlocked cthulhu face. Not sure how the two squishy low health people are going to interact.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
My rough suggested plan of action as a Cragheart of long standing:

Turn one: Any movement card and Rock Slide. Try and get 2 damage on all enemies, then move adjacent to one obstacle. Shouldnt matter if you go late. Earth created. 1 XP

Turn Two: Rumbling Advance and Clear the Way. Throw the obstacle you're next to and consume leaf for usually attack 3 on at least two people. Move on Rumbling Advance to possibly finish something off and create leaf again. Initiative 29 should be enough to go relatively early. Goggles if youve got em. Earth created. 3 XP

Turn 3: Any movement and Crater or Earthen Clod. Crowd Control if necessary here or just finish stuff off. Consume leaf for XP. Earthen Clod has initiative 38 which should again be enough. Earth down, unfortunately. 4 XP.

Turn 4: If the first room fight is over here I would seriously consider upping the difficulty level. You'll have more time for everyone to do their cool stuff. Anyway, use Massive Boulder because it's great and creates leaf again. Maybe use bottom move on Explosive Punch for the decent initiative. Earth back up. Still 4 XP.

Turn 5: Whichever of Earthen Clod or Crater that you didn't use before. Consume Earth for XP. 5 XP. Earth down

Long rest if you can, so you can get back goggles if you have them. Carry on until everything has had multiple rocks thrown at it. When the fights nearly over play Backup Ammo. The way it accelerates your damage output and XP gain is absurd. And the combo with Forceful Storm can reliably disarm 3 people at least (4 is unlikely), which is 3 attacks avoided at a crunch time.

I would definitely suggest swapping out Opposing Strike for Backup Ammo.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Oozes splitting can be bad if you're not able to get away from the subsequent attacks, but the absolute worst is when they split, then heal, then split again.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006

John Lee posted:

Okay, so I have a not-strictly-related question, and I'm hoping someone can help my dumbass self: I spent like my entire monthly budget and bought this game on Amazon for the tiny discount. It arrived today, and I opened it up to have a look around and make sure it was all in good order... and it wasn't. The location stickers were kind of jammed into the box, and some of them came off and stuck to the manual. I assume there's been a hitch or two in this thread, so: Who should I contact about this (and how, if it's difficult)? Amazon, their supplier, or Cephalofair? I've gotten the runaround before, with Company A and B telling me to contact the other one, so if anyone has experience, It'd be really helpful.

edit: The game FAQ says to contact Cephalofair if you're missing components, and this SEEMS like a comparable situation, so I'll give that a shot. I'd still be interested to hear how somebody else handled a similar problem, though.

I was fortunate and had no problems but stuff like you're describing was apparently really common for a while. I think it's best to go to cephalofair first. I've heard they have been very good about it.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
The Reddit Spellweaver guide doesn't rate chromatic explosion or cold fire, but we've found those to be very good. The amazing part of chromatic explosion is the bottom move 2 plus create any element, which can either set up the stun on cold fire or the brutal aoe on living torch.

Our Spellweaver has gotten so goddamn lethal they've gone full troll. They're doing the tankweaver build thing now, and their modifier deck is so stacked it's still wrecking poo poo at plus 1 difficulty.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Our experience is that very few of the personal quests work properly for 2 players. The storyline type ones seem fine but almost everything else scales very poorly.

I think in general there is a lot to admire in the ambition of gloomhaven's scope but quite a lot of the stuff that isn't part of the central mechanics could do with refining.

Presumably Isaac will one day do another game like this, which I expect to be much better rounded.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006

Cocks Cable posted:

Personal Quests are hit or miss and not at all well balanced. They are definitely one of the weakest elements of the game as a whole, but they're overall effect on the meat of game play is so minor that I don't care too much. They are more or less just an excuse to have a constant and timed drip of new content added to the mix and it's better to just play fast and lose with them rather than be super strict by the rules.

We have taken a similar approach in some circumstances. I see no reason to have a less enjoyable experience when we're well within the intention of the mechanic, which I agree with the other guy is basically to allow s gradual revealing of content.

This goes both ways. I've just unlocked cthulhu face and I have the quest to do 15 scenarios. I think I may want to play this class longer as xp gain seems slow and I want to try them out at high level. Will I just arbitrarily stop playing them when I'm having most fun? I doubt it.

My buddy unlocked envelope X rather than a character (ugh...). And so he's rolled up a mindthief, which he's really enjoying. But his personal quest apparently won't take long. So he may want to game his s bit as well.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Best Cragheart build is ranged auto damage I think. At level 3 Clear the Way is great and at level 4 Rockslide is great. And they combo together brilliantly.

I did a long post about how to gain crazy XP and murder things as Cragheart based on my experiences playing the indomitable Gritface. You can go a few pages back for that, but it basically boils down to creating leaf one turn and consuming it the next. Simple but effective.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006

OmegaGoo posted:

Yeah, I have Brute Force and Kinetic Charge at those levels. Like I said, our group really didn't want me to be clogging the board with obstacles. I wish I had built that way, but the build I had was still quite good. Definitely Earth hungry, though.

Whatever is strongest I love that almost every class can be played multiple ways like this. I'd be keen to try Craghearting again with that build. Go all in on Retaliate and melee. Just need a lot of damage mitigation and healing I guess.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Tankweaver. Take some Retaliate and damage avoidance cards. You might want some health potions too...

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Goggles for all.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
I like the ambition of the blue sky thinking behind some of the quirkier scenario objectives but not all of them feel very thoroughly playtested.

That's probably a function of how big the game is but that just suggests it's too big in some ways.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Is there any way to bypass the retirement rules and just unlock stuff in the digital version? I've played the whole campaign with a friend with my physical copy and kind of don't want to have to go through the grind of some of the retirement quests.

We house ruled most of the retirement quests anyway. To my mind a lot of them don't work or require a ridiculous amount of scenarios. We generally just said you could retire at will after level 7 if you hadn't already done so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Thanks, I'll give that a try!