Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

philihp
Jun 1, 2008
Played the first few missions of this today as thiefrat. Definitely didn’t manage my hand well and exhausted myself, but killed the boss with my dying breath leaving the mage and brute to kill everything else. Brute exhausted himself killing all but one thing. Mage’s last possible turn got lucky and killed the last dude. It’s somewhat satisfying to charm an enemy into walking onto a trap.

I have the kill-20-things mission too... do I have to get the killing blow on them? Kinda feels like I should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

philihp
Jun 1, 2008

Photux posted:

It seems baffling to me that some parties wouldn't use short rests. My two player party has completed about 25 scenarios and I think we've used a grand total of two long rests. Long rests seem incredibly situational. Missing a turn is a huge drawback if there are enemies around, so unless clearing a room coincides perfectly with emptying your hand, it doesn't seem worth it to long rest. We've found some powerful passive and consumed items, so refreshing items doesn't do much for us, and a measly two healing isn't worth skipping an entire turn for, especially at our level. In a two player party, one person long resting takes half the party out of the fight for a turn, so maybe it's better in larger parties.

My party of three usually short rests, but often long rests. When I was playing Mindrat, I'd swap between The Mind's Weakness and Parasitic Influence two times every rest-cycle, each time getting 2 xp. It ends up being 5+ xp a scenario which adds up quickly, but the combo always broke when short rest killed one of the two. With mindrat I always found I was burning cards too fast with summons that I'd get exhausted before anyone else anyway, so a long rest was an easy way to add an extra round to my lifespan while others catch up, and to protect good cards.

philihp
Jun 1, 2008

Eraflure posted:

Gloomhaven is poorly balanced overall but the Spellweaver still manages to stick out.

Spellweaver didn't stand out as much to me as Tinkerer or Craghart, but truthfully I didn't play any of them; I just witnessed my Craghart player having not-the-best-time always moving last and having their moves dependent on positioning of boulders. Tinkerer's higher level cards didn't seem to scale. I've played with 3 people who have had Spellweaver at low level, and it was just fine. Play your character, and whenever you short rest, just keep Reviving Ether at all costs... then ahlfway, halfway through scoop with it and go all-out.

Each class has their own style, and party composition matters a lot, too. My most recent group tends to go hard on DPS, so our tanks/healers have been bored, and support classes which load up on bless/curse modifiers have had the biggest impact.