Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Played the first game on my copy: Brute, Cragheart and Scoundrel did short work of the Black Barrow. I really enjoyed it so far, and I can see what the hype is in regards to unlocking the map/changing the world as well as the dungeon crawling elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Me and my fiancee played 2 more games of this: our very first game was with 3, the next two with 2, but the game scales relatively well. In the second scenario me (as the Brute) used a whole bunch of good cards early and basically exhausted myself, but my fiancee took out like 2 skeletons and 2 zombies with the scoundrel and she dodged their blows left and right. The Scoundrel is pretty good, but I'm liking the Brute now that I'm at level 2 with him.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I got the "donate 120g to the church" objective which is basically a timer.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Oh man, we lost our first scenario (after 4 victories). Oh well, it was bound to happen and I was very close to winning it by myself. I really like the level 2 brute ability that just outright kills a normal enemy

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Countblanc posted:

I haven't got my copy yet, but what happens when you fail a scenario? Do you just replay it with full knowledge of whats ahead?
Yeah, pretty much. You still get all the XP that you got during the round as well as any gold that you managed to loot as well.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

So when you level you get 1 card only?
When you level you:
- Get to select 1 new card to add to your deck (I find that choosing cards is really difficult because they all seem sooo good).
- Get a perk (which means that you can modify your damage deck)
- Get more health (depending on character)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Literally stopped me/my SOs campaign of P:L Season 2 because we both like Gloomhaven better. It is the better game by far.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The only scenario me and my SO have lost so far was because my SO stacked a 16 damage attack on one-shotting the earth demon and she drew a null, this made her exhaust the character 3 turns before my one was exhausted and my Brute was 1 monster away from clearing an entire room by himself. We then played exactly the same scenario and played a bit more cautiously and didn't use our "lose card" abilities as much and we finished the scenario easily even though we still had a couple of critical 'null attack' draws. Although I'm pretty experienced at games, my SO isn't really that much of a gamer, although she really digs Gloomhaven. And if you really, really hate drawing nulls (in my mind they add a sense of uncertainty about actions that is necessary in order to make the game work), then just use the less randomness rule variant that the rules themselves suggest.

I didn't really have many issues with unboxing the game myself, although I had bought a lot of envelopes thanks to advice of one of my friends, and divided up all the monsters. Then again, I've spent hours unboxing board wargames and clipping counters, so my own experiences with unboxing stuff might be slightly skewed :shrug:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

My group of two (Scoundrel, Brute) is doing some real work. We did the scenario in the warehouse where you face Jekserath's Inox bodyguards. Through a combination of cards and items on my Brute they did exactly 0 damage to me. I could have gone and hoovered up all the coins on the map, but my scenario objective was not to loot anything for two ticks, which seemed easy enough to do. Got three changes to my damage deck now so my Brute is a level 3 lean, mean killing machine now. Brute and scoundrel work well together since neither really cares about elements.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Scoundrel and Brute party are turning into a lean, mean, killing machine of a party. Now that we both have a stamina potion and the rogue has the goggles (and she's getting rid of all her her -1s and even the -2), we are going to be able to do consistent high damage (or even me just running in to somewhere and doing the Wall of Doom, which is amazing.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm kind of liking my personal objective, which is donate 120 gold to the monastery. It means that I can be one off achieving the goal, then just delay it as much as I want and only retire my Brute when I really want. Although getting a new character sounds mighty tempting.

This weekend our two level 3 characters are going to be joined by two brand new level 1 characters. This does mean that we need to kick down the difficulty from level 2 to level 1, but it should be fine. The 2 Retaliate, 2 Shield Brute card is really useful in high player counts, so I'll probably go the tanky route rather than the damage-dealing route. I've tooled up my Brute in terms of item, just need to scrounge up 30 gold in order to buy the hammer and I'm set (potentially stunning three enemies in one turn is really nice).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

My latest adventure with the Brute was almost dying thanks to a single elite forest imp (those things are annoying as hell) and then sprinting 8 spaces to win a scenario that involved looting all the treasures in the scenario. That trio of cave bears never saw it coming as I swooped in and speed-looted that chest :smug:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

Brute looks like a tank. But he's not really? At first.
You can build him like a tank if you want, but I think it's only really viable in larger, 4p games. In 2p I built him as a damage/status dealer.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

We are down to 11 scenarios now and our Brute and Scoundrel combo is really kicking into high gear (we are level 4 and 5 now). We have been playing on normal but I think we need to kick it up a notch and go to hard, since now that we are both very familiar to our characters, it's getting kind of easy, so an extra challenge will be nice. We are, however, really close to retiring both of these characters, with my Brute pretty much being two scenarios away from retirement and the Scoundrel being very close as well depending on what scenarios we pick (if we pick a particular scenario, she's likely to be able to retire immediately). Can't wait to unlock more stuff really, I like the Brute/Scoundrel but I really want to see something new.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Me and my partner managed to retire our starting characters (scoundrel and brute) at the same time, unlocking both the sunburst and the saw. Unfortunately (spoilers for both characters) I think having a dedicated healer and a tank in our party might make it quite hard to kill stuff now: our brute/scoundrel combo could pump out quite a lot of damage, but I think we'll struggle in the future.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

I think I would have accomplished that in one scenario with helping Jekserah retrieve the diamond from the mine.

Rules question: If a boss summons adds, like that first boss who spawns Living Bones, do they act immediately? If the add acted that round at 50 and the boss summons them at 70? If the boss summons at 50 and the add acts at 70? It seems clear that actual summons don't do anything immediately, and monsters that spawn as part of end of round don't do anything, but what about boss adds?
Boss adds are just treated as normal summons AFAIK, and they don't act on the turn they are summoned.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I had fun with my Brute but by level 5-6 I was basically a steamroller so I couldn't really see myself going up to level 9. Also I didn't want to complete too many scenarios, so that I could keep the game fresh by trying other classes. So even though I will miss him, I basically retired him as soon as was feasible. Still haven't tried my new class though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Nephzinho posted:

I'm a level 3 scoundrel right now and am having a ton of fun being stabby man and have been actively avoiding going places that might have cultists or bandits because I almost retired on like scenario 2. I may take a "harder" retirement goal for my second character.
Yeah level 3 is kind of too early to retire. I was lucky that my retirement goal was basically "play 12 scenarios" so I didn't need to worry about going for/avoiding specific scenarios. I think the only time we did specific scenarios for goals was when my partner's scoundrel was looking for retirement (which happened at the same time as my Brute), but even then she was like level 5 when it happened, and with 15 scenarios under our belt.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

My current goal/theme combo is really appropriate, and I picked it even though the other goal I had was easier/would have unlocked a class I wanted to try: (saw symbol and a specific goal card spoiler) my sawbones was given the Find the Cure goal, which seemed appropriate for a healer of the Great Oak

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Oozes + 2P + Two characters that don't deal enough damage = a frustrating experience.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Gort posted:

Have I missed some rules where only some enemies drop coins and won't move through tiles with coins on them or something?
Summons, of whatever kind, don't drop coins (cause otherwise you could literally farm oozes for money). Oozes won't summon on squares with money, because summons have to go in completely empty hexes.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

There's never really any point in starting a new party, since it just cuts down on the number of scenarios you can access due to party achievements. The only real reason to do it is if you are trying to drive down (or up) the reputation of the party in order to unlock new things.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Me and my SO had a break of a couple of weeks after a sewer level burnt us out of the game for a while. We were also playing new characters (saw and sunburst spoilers) and didn't really do enough damage/didn't really know our character. Now that I've levelled up the sawbones a bit, and understood how good med packs are, we've been kicking rear end! I now have access to the insta-death cards for the sawbones and bought him both the bleed sword and the poison dagger, so now he's a status-causing death machine, along with being a fine healer (I'm building him to deal damage because otherwise sawbones/sunburst don't cause enough damage together). My SO is better about getting Light Elements when doing damage as well: repeatable 5 damage attacks with advantage are pretty ace..

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

The perks for the Saw are pretty cool: I've currently got both of the *remove two -1s*, both of the *replace a 0 with a +2* and one of the *add a +2 and draw another card*. So currently my deck has a single -1, 3 +2s (and the +2 with extra card draw) and I'm currently planning to get the *remove four 0s* perk when I level up, which will mean my only negative cards will be a -2, a -1 and the miss card.

In terms of strategy, you can really gear the sawbones up to be a really good brawler and he's actually much better once he's stuck in rather than on the periphery: I like combat medic archetypes rather than "heal from afar" healers. His bottom 1 damage + stun + poison paired with a 4 attack + condition card means he can do really nice spike damage while shutting down one particular opponent. His bottom card that allows him to AoE any card is extremely nice as well, and he's a monster against high shield/low HP monsters due to easy access to wound. You can also make him get in rather easily, since you can do the AoE non-loss disarm, which is an amazing card. Finally, the medpacks are okay for healing, but are incredible in that they can potentially give low-hand size characters a couple more turns. I was really hesitant that I would like the sawbones when I first saw his kit but after a couple of level he just becomes a combat beast if you play him right.

tl;dr if you have a chance to unlock saw, go for it, he's a lot of fun and there's loads of ways to build him.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

MG42 posted:

The scoundrel player in my party recently unlocked the saw but isn't sure if he wants to play the class yet. I'll be sure to pass along these tips as he isn't too hot on the idea of playing a support class.
My first character was the Brute and it was a definite change in pace, but you can really build saw as a character that can take on really tough enemies, thanks to stun/poison/wound/immobilise on his cards, along with a kill elite/normal card at level 4. He can still heal with him if you play him combat-oriented, but you can build him to just shut-down elites/big monsters if you want as well.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

ChiTownEddie posted:

Heck yeah, might unlock Cthulhu symbol tomorrow as our first retirement/unlock. I'd be retiring my Brute, but hes had a good run at level 6.
The Brute got much more interesting once he had a couple of level-ups, I feel. His starting kit is kind of limited but once you get a few options, he has a lot of scope for different builds/strategies. It's true for all characters but I feel that some of the other ones have more scope at lower levels when compared to the Brute.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

So far the bosses we faced felt kinda weak, for example the last one we faced was the Elder Drake, which had a total of 30 HP. His damage output wasn't all that, and we just burned him down really quickly before he could get too many zephyrs up..

The only scenario which lately really pushed us to play efficiently was one with Harrower Infester (also sunburst and saw light spoilers): the fact that the elites have so much life and that they retaliate 3 meant that it was really hardgoing for us since both the sawbones and sunkeeper have very limited range capabilities. Thankfully in the scenario we played, by the end I could just burn out my card that allows me to kill an elite outright.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Your plan is pretty much spot on. The Living Corpses are typical zombies, slow and not terribly difficult to avoid. Have fun.
Also, they generally just kill themselves thanks to self damage

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'd go for saw but I'm incredibly biased, but I've been having so much fun with the class: I've now tooled him up with a poison dagger and the jagged sword, I can basically put statuses on enemies at will now. Currently I run him with like 3 healing cards and the rest are just damage, and thanks to his perks he's got pretty reliable damage, especially with the advantage goggles

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Honestly the only thing that bothers me about gloomhaven are spawners. Scenarios that rely on spawners are way too luck dependant, especially with low player counts. The last scenario we played was way too difficult for just 2 players simply because we got unlucky and the spawners spawned early. We tried the scenario like 3 times and even with a perfect start we just got overwhelmed by the end. In the end I just said we had beaten he scenario but didn’t get the extra XP or battle goals.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I hate oozes, but there are other spawners that are even worse than oozes. And although they don't self-replicate, some of the scenarios make it almost impossible for a 2 character team to take care of them in time. When the victory condition comes down to "did we get unlucky and both spawn cards appeared two times in a row", then it isn't about skill, but if you get lucky enough that spawners don't spawn before you kill them.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

lol failure penalties

and holy poo poo is that a crappy failure penalty "yeah just remove an element of choice from your deck, no big"

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm glad that as the saw I have access to both insta-kills and wounds to deal with high-shield enemies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

As much as I like my current character I'm actually interested in retiring him relatively soon, just excited to find new stuff to use/play the game differently.