Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Pierzak posted:

Two (three?) quick questions:

- The Kickstarter is just for the standard game, right? If I buy the game, I'm not gonna miss a ton of Kickstarter-exclusive minis and extra content that won't be available normally? And do I assume correctly that if it's the only funding for reprints it might be very hard/expensive to get?

- What's this talk of sealed/spoilery content? Is it like the envelopes in Legacy games saying "Open if XYZ happens"?

There is zero Kickstarter exclusive content. The box you buy in stores has the exact same stuff as the box backers get. As for availability, it shouldn't be hard to find (they printed a shitload of copies for retail), but it will be expensive as MSRP is $140.

Yes, this is a legacy game. There are sealed boxes and envelopes you open as you progress. Also, a bunch of stuff isn't technically sealed (like the item cards or the scenario book), but many people are trying to go in as blind as possible and not look too far ahead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Pierzak posted:

So basically Dungeon Crawler: Legacy, as in you're actually supposed destroy/write on components?

Most people call Gloomhaven a Legacy game, but I don't really agree. There's no destruction of components and no fundamental or permanent alterations of the gameplay. You progressively unlock more of everything: more classes to play, more items to buy, more scenarios to play, etc. You never really destroy or lose anything. I'd classify it more as a really, really developed campaign system much deeper than anything ever seen before in a board game.

There are stickers you're supposed to paste onto the map as you unlock locations and achievements. However unlike say, Risk or Pandemic Legacy, the stickers don't really alter the game at all, they just serve as a cool reminder of what locations you've unlocked and what stuff you've accomplished. If the board had been printed with every location already on it and they gave you a checklist to keep track of locations and achievements, the game would be the exact same. Though I will say, it's really cool and satisfying to see the mostly blank map fill up with stuff as you progress, so I'm glad the stickers exist.

The only actual permanent change that happens in the game is enhancement stickers. These are upgrades you can buy for ability cards and take the form of a sticker on the card, which will apply to that card forever. Even after the character that bought the enhancement retires, any future characters of that class would get that bonus as it's now a part of the ability card. That is the only real legacy element in this game, in my opinion. But it's one you can easily sidestep if you wish. Sleeve the card and sticker the sleeve, for example, or even forego the sticker entirely and drop a little note inside the sleeve.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Ragnar34 posted:

My buddies aren't really interested in dungeoncrawling games except maybe occasionally, and I don't feel like starting a new playgroup with strangers (not enough time for second weekly game night), so it'd be just me for 95% of the missions. It's solo or nothing.

It's a very good solo game. I'm running a solo campaign besides playing with a multiplayer group and I'd have bought this game even without anyone to play with. It comes close to unseating Mage Knight for my top solo game, tbh.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Scenarios are mostly balanced in such a way that you'll be dangerously low on cards by the end, at least at the start of a campaign. Once you get more classes, abilities and items unlocked you may be able to outpace scenario scaling with the right combos. That's when you increase scenario difficulty :getin:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I get what you mean, but I wouldn't call it replacing, as that implies you're losing another card. You unlock new cards for your card pool so they are available for use in a scenario. At the beginning of every scenario you have to decide which cards will make up your hand for that scenario, out of the pool of all your unlocked cards. You can freely swap cards in and out of your hand between scenarios. Some classes can get away with having a generic hand all rounder hand they use for most scenarios, but some with more situational cards (Tinkerer notably) should probably be swapping cards in and out frequently.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

The reason rooms aren't setup until you open the door is that enemy standees are limited, so there wouldn't be enough standees to fully setup some scenarios. By default all scenario information is meant to be public, aside from treasure chest contents.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Well upon review, it seems designer intent is that scenario components are public but specific placement of those components within the scenario is not. I thought I had read otherwise, but I just checked the FAQ thread on BGG. So you know if there are any treasure chests, and which enemy types are present, just not specifically where on the map stuff is.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Reposting my cheap solution to organizing the game, for those who don't want to dump a cool hundred on fancy lasercut wood:
  • Sort map tiles by letter in an expanding folder. Being able to quickly get the map tiles you need is crucial. This will not fit inside the box, which might be a dealbreaker for some, but I think the benefits of massively speedier setup are more than worth it.
  • Sort all tokens in organizer boxes for easy access. Being able to quickly get the doors, obstacles, traps you need for a scenario and such without digging through a million tiles is very good. Same goes for gameplay tokens like gold, XP, summons and conditions. You could use two separate boxes for these, but just I use a big Plano 3750, which holds every single token in the game with space to spare and still fits inside the Gloomhaven box.
  • As per this BBG thread, use the foam that comes in the box to hold enemy standees. It's free and the cutting is really easy to do, just be careful you don't cut too deep.
  • Keep item cards in a browsable binder. You could go fancy and buy Ultra Pro gaming binder pages and a binder but that's fairly expensive (Ultra Pro binder pages are sold in 100 packs unless you can find singles at an LGS). Instead of that, I'm using a cheapo business card holder, which works perfectly for this purpose and costs less.
  • Use Gloomy Companion and forget that monster decks physically exist.
  • Keep each character's modifier deck and items inside their class box so you can just hand out ready to play boxes to each player at the beginning of each session. Since you're using Gloomy Companion for monster modifiers, you can use the monster modifier deck for a fifth character, but any more and you'll need to be swapping decks between characters. That would only be an issue when running multiple parties.
  • Everything else: event cards, random dungeon cards, personal quests, battle goals, curses/blessings/armor penalty cards, miniature and class boxes, etc, I keep in the original insert.

It's a very tidy box which makes me quite happy and setup times are under 10 min. Best of all, total cost is under :10bux::10bux:

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Those tiles look fine to me, what exactly is the supposed issue with them?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

It's very unlikely backer number has anything to do with shipping order, guys. It's all about logistics in shipments.

Sleevewise, deffo sleeve modifier decks. They get shuffled constantly and sleeves make shuffling easier. Modifier decks start at 20, so one 100 ct. sleeve pack should be enough for four players, though it could get tight once you factor in curses and blessings that can get added. Maybe get two and also sleeve each character's items.

I'd also recommend sleeving ability cards, these are the cards that get handled the most and will get grimey over time if you don't. Also it gives you the option to do enhancements without stickering the card. One 50 ct. sleeve pack will do for this, as classes don't go above 12 card hands (AFAIK, still haven't unlocked all of them). It's not too expensive and worth it IMO.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Probably not, but the PDF is free. You could always print it out yourself.

Have you tried taking the dials apart and putting some cardstock between the pieces to tighten the fit?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Doorknob Slobber posted:

For the YASS in this picture what are the tokens to the right of the 5 gold tokens? I don't have those, I also don't have the curse/bless status effect things, but I'm guessing that was just something that was changed because its not listen in the rule book as something I should have.

Those are XP tokens. The first printing has a 0-9 track for XP, and every time you lap it you get a 10 XP token to mark that. Curse/Bless status tokens are also useless in first edition.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Isaac strongly recommended against playing with 5, but said if you still want to do it add 2 to the scenario level without increasing rewards. So not more monsters, just stronger ones.

Not sure what the app does, I guess provide a digital 5th modifier deck?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

CaptainRightful posted:

I see this in the rules: "In addition, once a scenario has been completed in campaign mode, it cannot be undertaken again in campaign mode by any party."

Is there a good reason for this? Because I want to dive into a campaign this weekend on my own and then play a campaign later with my group. According to this rule, would we not be allowed to restart at Scenario 1?

The reason is so you can't farm a scenario a bunch of times for its rewards. Like say if a boss scenario has a big gold/prosperity reward, you can't just farm the boss for a bunch of money and prosperity.

You can replay scenarios in casual mode, which just means you don't get any of the listed rewards or story progress. You still get any money, XP, treasure, checkmarks, etc that you earn during the scenario, but not the reward listed for completing it in the scenario book.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

The Lord of Hats posted:

I'd recommend just tracking it as two different world, yeah. Not going to be particularly satisfying for your friends if you've already gone and looted the end-of-scenario rewards for yourself in another campaign.

This is pretty much what I do. I leave stickers and stuff for the multiplayer campaign with my friends and run my solo campaign completely separate off a spreadsheet where I track my progress.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

60 to 90 minutes for us, but that's after 40+ scenarios. It was closer to 2 hours at the start.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

CommonShore posted:

So I'm about to haul Gloomhaven over to my friends' place for the first time.

We are going to try the 5 player version, with the scaling monster levels and traps by 2. (Anyone have a more detailed version of that? A link would be great - it doesn't totally make sense to me as wouldn't that make our group of level 1 characters fighting level 3 monsters?.)

Our play group is variable, so we're going to often have people coming in and out.

Levels are not as huge an increase as it sounds. A level 3 Bandit Archer has +1 HP, movement and attack over the level 1 version. A level 3 Bandit Guard has +3 HP and +1 attack over the level 1 version. It's not a terribly large difference, the guard will tank an additional hit and the archer might tank an additional hit but probably not and they'll both do slightly more damage. Hell, just playing solo or with the open information variant means you increase difficulty by 1, and all you're getting in that case is the ability to combo perfectly between characters, not a whole additional character.

Also, you can always adjust difficulty if you want. If it still seems too easy, bump it an additional level. If it's too hard, drop down a level. That's the beauty of Gloomhaven's scaling system.

Ropes4u posted:

So now that many of you have the game l, is it worth $104?

Absolutely. I've had Gloomhaven for 9 months or so. It's already in my top 5 most played games. It's easily the most value I've ever gotten out of a board game purchase.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Math-wise, 5 should work fine with the level bump.

The real problem I can think of is clutter becoming an issue at 5 players. At 4 characters you can already have annoying traffic jams around doors or narrow corridors. Playing 5 players worsens this, and if you add in summons and trap/obstacle laying it could get really bad.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

My phone runs Gloomy Companion on Chrome perfectly, and it's a cheapo budget phone, albeit a recent model (Moto e4).

When I'm at home I'll usually cast the chrome tab from my laptop to the TV.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

jmzero posted:

Huh. We certainly did this wrong (for hundreds of hours of play...)

And I'd guess we weren't the only ones, as the new wording/emphasis is stronger than what's in the old manual.

I'm not sure I like this rule. I mean, I get that it makes a (considerable) balance difference, but where do you track what cards are in your pool? I also liked being able to respec/experiment a bit more than this would let you do. Huh.

What we do is sleeve the cards that are currently in the cardpool and keep the rest in the platic envelope they came in originally. And yeah, having all the cards unlocked sounds like it would make you insanely powerful.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

SlyFrog posted:

So when you play two player, can you just reasonably play two characters each, to make the game mechanics like a four player game?

You could, yeah. Though that would remove a lot of uncertainty, so you probably should go +1 difficulty as per the solo/open information variant.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Bottom Liner posted:

Lol thanks but

:eyepop:

Stores that don't offer free shipping aren't going to sell this game even with the massive hype.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Once you complete the quest and unlock something new you'll want to try the new class. Trust me.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Designate someone to be in charge of the elemental board, otherwise it can very easy to forget to decrease elemental levels at the end of the round and then halfway through the next round you're not quite sure if it was done or not. It's not too important on your first few games as the starting classes (aside from the Spellweaver) and the monsters in the first few scenarios don't infuse all that much, but it's a good habit to get into. Do the same for status effects on monsters, it's also very easy to forget to remove those tokens from the monsters as they take their turns.

Download this monster flowchart and print it out or have it readily available on your phone. Monster turns will be dead simple 95% of the time, the other 5% of the time you will want this chart handy.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

90-120 min is the average I've seen.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Flying Leatherman posted:

I still almost got murdered in the last room after rolling a -1 on a big aoe damage spell though :v:

FYI, for attacks with multiple targets you draw modifier cards for every single target, not one for the whole attack.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Has anyone who ordered an upgrade pack have it delivered yet? Or even a shipping notice. I really want those real solo item cards instead of my crappy printouts.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Some Numbers posted:

Can someone tell me how big an accordion folder to get?

https://www.amazon.com/Smead-Frequency-Expanding-Pockets-70863/dp/B0186K7B3O/

This is the one I have. All tiles fit (even the dreaded T-shapes), and it has internal dividers.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

So if I'm getting this right, they've cleared the entire game, done every scenario, found every item, are at prosperity 9 so all characters are level 9 and only playing hard missions (+2 to level for the max level of 7)? That's such an insanely niche case I can't see why anyone should care about character "tiers" at that point.

I've played almost weekly since February and am nowhere near that level of completion. Put the game down and wait for the expansion.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

misguided rage posted:

It is possible to put multiple enhancements on a card. There are a whole lot of stickers though, unless every member of your party is going all-out on one type of enhancement I'd say you're pretty unlikely to run out. The number of enhanced cards you can bring is limited by gloomhaven's prosperity level, so you're also unlikely to have people going all-out on enhancing until later in the campaign. If you're sticking them to the sleeves already and desperately short on stickers then you could print out more and tape them on, although it wouldn't look as good.

Also enhancing is really drat expensive, I wouldn't worry about running out of stickers any time soon.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Bombadilillo posted:

It matters for their movement, they should be trying to get into a position where they can attack multiple people.

Small clarification, monsters will move into a position where they can hit multiple targets while still attacking their focus. If the choice is between hitting multiple targets (but not the focus) and only hitting the focus, they'll go for the single hit on their focus.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Knucklebear posted:

I'm having problems winning the Gloomhaven organization meta-game.

Can you guys recommend what Plano boxes you're using and how many I would need to organize monsters and tokens?

Ojetor posted:

Reposting my cheap solution to organizing the game, for those who don't want to dump a cool hundred on fancy lasercut wood:
  • Sort map tiles by letter in an expanding folder. Being able to quickly get the map tiles you need is crucial. This will not fit inside the box, which might be a dealbreaker for some, but I think the benefits of massively speedier setup are more than worth it.
  • Sort all tokens in organizer boxes for easy access. Being able to quickly get the doors, obstacles, traps you need for a scenario and such without digging through a million tiles is very good. Same goes for gameplay tokens like gold, XP, summons and conditions. You could use two separate boxes for these, but just I use a big Plano 3750, which holds every single token in the game with space to spare and still fits inside the Gloomhaven box.
  • As per this BBG thread, use the foam that comes in the box to hold enemy standees. It's free and the cutting is really easy to do, just be careful you don't cut too deep.
  • Keep item cards in a browsable binder. You could go fancy and buy Ultra Pro gaming binder pages and a binder but that's fairly expensive (Ultra Pro binder pages are sold in 100 packs unless you can find singles at an LGS). Instead of that, I'm using a cheapo business card holder, which works perfectly for this purpose and costs less.
  • Use Gloomy Companion and forget that monster decks physically exist.
  • Keep each character's modifier deck and items inside their class box so you can just hand out ready to play boxes to each player at the beginning of each session. Since you're using Gloomy Companion for monster modifiers, you can use the monster modifier deck for a fifth character, but any more and you'll need to be swapping decks between characters. That would only be an issue when running multiple parties.
  • Everything else: event cards, random dungeon cards, personal quests, battle goals, curses/blessings/armor penalty cards, miniature and class boxes, etc, I keep in the original insert.

It's a very tidy box which makes me quite happy and setup times are under 10 min. Best of all, total cost is under :10bux::10bux:

If nothing else, do the enemy standee thing with the foam, it's great.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Short resting is my default unless I have some items I really want to refresh. I'll also long rest on those rare ocassions when there's a lull in the action where I can long rest a turn while enemies come closer/someone else opens a door/a new enemy spawns because of scenario conditions, etc. Beyond the item refresh I feel there's very little advantage to long rests. Heal 2 is nice but hardly worth giving up an entire turn with active monsters.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

It does not.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I think you answered your own question pretty well.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Just play the open information variant then? No reason to beat around the bush.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Getting antsy about my upgrade pack. Anyone in the US get theirs yet?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

^^^^ Pretty sure that's wrong, unless it was changed for the second printing. Usually scenarios that end in a choice unlock both scenarios, then you "make" the choice by playing one or the other. Usually this leads you down different plotlines and advancing too far down a plotline might lock out the other, but you never have to make a choice on the spot.

Any scenarios unlocked will be in the "New Location(s)" brown box at the end of the scenario alongside the other rewards. Sometimes the plot text of a scenario will have the scenario number within a circle, that just indicates the story bit you just read is referencing that scenario, i.e. it's purely for flavor purposes. This by itself does not mean the scenario is unlocked, only the ones in the rewards section get unlocked.

Some scenarios might reference other scenarios but not unlock them.

Ojetor fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 27, 2018

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Cragheart/Spellweaver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Johnny Truant posted:

What's this about disadvantage wrt ranged attacks?

Ranged attacks have disadvantage against adjacent targets.

If a monster is performing a ranged attack and is adjacent to one of it's targets, it will move away (if possible) in order to not have disadvantage.

Bum the Sad posted:

That’s kind of lame. You just walk out past piles of treasure even when not exhausted?

Yeah, that's correct. I know a lot people think it's gamey and not flavorful, but it really helps add tension to the game. It makes choosing to go loot a treasure chest an actual decision, and it makes looting something a character can be good (or bad) at.