Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think that PDF was also turned into an app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

The Lord of Hats posted:

Would people be adverse to me posting class summaries of the starting classes in here? I don't have personal experience with the Scoundrel or the Brute, but I think an overview of what the classes play like could be helpful.

Please do!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Canadian shipping labels have been created!

Hopefully not too long now.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
How is it playing with your older daughter? Does anything trip her up in particular?

I think my son is going to adore this game. He loves stuff like warhammer adventure quest.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bombadilillo posted:

Any more specific questions lemme know.

Awesome, thank you!

My kid has trouble reading but I looked at the cards and think he should be ok with the limited text most cards have. Might need help on some of them.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Got my shipping notice! (Canada)

Yay.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Looks like it’s shipping today! Gonna have to go pick it up at my mom’s because I shipped it there instead of my apartment, but quite excited.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Goddamn this thing is big.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ropes4u posted:

So now that many of you have the game l, is it worth $104?

In the sense that you could resell it for that today, yes.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If you're in Canada and don't have your copy secured, Starlit Citadel (the guys who distributed Gloomhaven) has it on sale right now for like 25% off. (compared to the full retail... it's still more expensive than other place were selling the pre-order for)

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 27, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Played the first game with my kid last night. He was the Brute and he chose Tinkerer for me. We got off to a rocky start but rolled through the rest of the first scenario without any hiccups. We screwed up at the very end - thought that we had time to loot before leaving the dungeon, so we ended up redoing the last turn, but otherwise it went really well. By the end of the game my son was making his own decisions without prompting, and he was really happy when we beat the last monster.

I need to get an app for tracking characters though. I really don’t like their paper solution.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CaptainRightful posted:

I like this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.timmcode.ghcampaigntracker.droid&hl=en

That lets you manage all your characters, parties, and campaigns. When you enter your scenario completions and looted treasure numbers, it logs achievements and unlocks automatically.

Also, if you want to lock down scenario spoilers and you can't stop yourself from glancing ahead on a page, this app lets you reveal scenario info bit by bit:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gmail.roygon.Gloomhaven_Scenario_Viewer&hl=en

Yeah I got the second one on the iPad, but I wanted to avoid pulling out my android tablet for the character app. ah well, I'll just put it all on the android I guess.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Aghama posted:

I wish the first app provided a good way to track Personal Quests, my son has the one where you have to kill 20 types of enemies.

Hmm. that's actually why I disliked the character sheet. It's pretty small for what you need to track. My son has that one too.

I got: 6 side quests

How hard are these going to be to complete? We got lucky and treasure unlocked one of my goals after the first mission.

Somewhat related... putting stickers on the map is something I didn't expect to like this much. This is my first legacy game and there's something transgressive and exciting about defacing your copy of the game in this way.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 28, 2017

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
With you on the setup / teardown and need for additional storage solutions, and I had to go online to get a "what do you need for your first game" guide to make sure we handled it all. I think that was a big miss in the rules.

About the campaign starting scenario - remember about the discarding cards to prevent sources of damage and also make sure you're only placing the enemies for 2 players.

Not sure if it was the right call but we also both bought the iron helmet and stamina potion. The Brute bought Hide Armor as well. I think those both helped up the survivability - he was low health right at the end but neither of us was ever really in danger of exhaustion.

And yeah, the chance of a whiff sucks, but we both hit a 2x (the first road event blessed us so we had an extra card in the deck) during our game and man it's a good feeling to have your key cards go off.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
No single card is that important.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Null cards are most devastating if you're using large single-target attacks. But the spellweaver and cragheart have a number of multi-target attacks which can even things out a bit for you.

For the first room, I'd recommend you each use your ranged area-of-effect abilities to whittle down the enemies until they get close, then focus-fire to take them out after 2-4 rounds of attacks.

One mistake a lot of new people make is using their big, flashy, lost-on-use cards early. Lost-on-use cards should be saved for emergencies or at the end of the scenario. If you use them early, they make every rest afterward that much less effective.

For example, let's say you're a scoundrel with 9 cards. If you don't use any of your lost cards, you get:

4 turns
Rest
4 turns
Rest
3 turns
Rest
3 turns
Rest
2 turns
Rest
2 turns
Rest
1 turn

Total: 19 turns

If you use just ONE lost card before your first rest, that becomes:

4 turns
Rest
3 turns
Rest
3 turns
Rest
2 turns
Rest
2 turns
Rest
1 turn

Total: 15 turns

You lost FOUR turns just by playing one lost card at the beginning of the map! And these are idealized situations, when you aren't losing cards for absorbing damage, don't have active effects out, and don't rest until you're down to 0 or 1 cards.

In general, treat your lost cards as if you're doing one powerful move, but sacrificing 3-R potential turns to do it, where R is the number of times you've already rested. Same thing goes for losing a card to negate damage.

this is from bgg but I thought it somewhat applied. A better breakdown than any of us did here.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Isn’t retail actually Jan / Feb?

I didn’t play gloomhaven last night. Instead I spent an hour organizing it into planos. Also got a sweet file folder for tiles and binder for the item store.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I might be wrong. Not sure why I was thinking that. This was on BGG on Nov 6:

quote:

Our company, Impressions, handles the wholesale side...

KS copies are shipping now. Wholesale copies are on boats going all over the world to distributors. Chances are late November to early December to be in stores worldwide.

Best,
Aldo Ghiozzi
Owner
Impressions
aldo@impressionsadv.net

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I think they shipped a while ago.

I didn't even know the solo scenarios came with cards, and didn't read them obviously. Glad that they seem on top of that.

I also need to send a request for a new cardboard sheet. A sheet I got had a bunch of cardboard ripped off of ~6 monster standees. On both sides. Just that sheet, not sure what happened there. Still totally playable at least, and honestly it would probably only affect resale value, but might as well get it fixed.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Tried playing last night with my kid and my brother. Kid screwed up playing the tank by hanging back a bit too much and we screwed up on scenario 2 by:

not targeting the bandit commander early, and also by getting the rules wrong on the order of door openings. I also had a real hard time doing damage with my tinkerer with all those -1s in the deck

We also screwed up a few rules, like early on moving monsters when their card only said to attack, and vice versa. Also my brother suffers from a small amount of AP and it took loving forever to get going. It took us like 4 hours to lose the scenario. A bit much for a school night, perhaps questionable parenting on my part.

That said, everyone got gold and xp and had a good time and we’ll give it another shot soon. It was fun at the end when we realized we were going to lose and we’re just trying to loot / get xp before exhaustion kicked in.

In the meantime I might be playing a solo scenario with two of the unused characters on the weekend so that I can internalize the Ike’s a bit better.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

Is anyone using those removable stickers for campaign replay ability? Rationally, I’m not going to get through the campaign even once, but permanent alteration of a game tickles something unpleasant within me.

(I can’t find those things again right now, but I know they’re out there.)

You aren’t going through even once. Putting stickers on the map feels sooooo good.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bombadilillo posted:

You should schedule some Time for unboxing before setup. Also maybe setup the first scenario before you play because everyone has to do character creation before the first scenario.

Yeah unboxing and figuring out your storage solution is a time commitment.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

WhiteHowler posted:

I got my copy with solo scenarios in early November. I think fulfillment order is mostly random.

Same.

But no cards, which are supposed to be coming at some point.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

andrew smash posted:

Are the solo scenarios a KS exclusive or could I get them separately in the future?

I think Isaac said they would sell them at some point. They're print and play anyway if you want to do that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

CaptainRightful posted:

Just so you're prepared -- you cannot fit 100% of the game back in the box with the BT organizer, so hang onto that accordion folio. I got a decent-looking one with a closable flap and it sits on the shelf next to the box. The BT instructions call for carefully arranging all the tiles into a tray, which is tedious and unsearchable. Instead, I use that tray to hold all the stickers, the party pad, the elemental tile, health/xp dials, the giant boss monster standee, and the 4 boxes of my current party.

The close-able accordion fold is great for storing the terrain tiles.

Going to play this tonight with just the kid and I after a few nights of no / limited boardgaming.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My son and I took another kick at scenario 2 tonight.

We went real fast. I didn't even complete my rest - we finished the scenario while I was doing my first long rest. I had used the Stamina potion though. That put us on like... Turn 7?

We missed the treasure though. Does that means we can never get it?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bombadilillo posted:

You can replay the scenario. You don't get any end rewards (the grey box that says unlock scenario xyz and get 20xp)

You do get any gold and treasures and normal so for winning a scenario. The treasure doesn't reset after you get it once.

All that to say. You can replay it...or 'replay It' and get the treasure

I'll probably replay the scenarios solo or something then. Something about getting the treasure without actually replaying it seems wrong to me.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I used an app for the scenarios but I found it really fiddly and annoying. I’m just gonna use the booklet going forward and try not to look too closely at how enemies are arranged.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Summons follow monster logic for movement and attacks. You don’t get to direct them.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vehementi posted:

Just make sure you give due consideration to "dollar store accordion binder, dollar store plano box, and ziploc baggies", before you go out and buy a $60 broken token organizer or whatever.

I did this. It's pretty good.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The tinkerer loot 2 card is real good because of that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

Nope. Each monster has its own ability deck that you flip from at the start of the turn (per monster type, not each individual standee), but every time any monster attacks you flip from a shared attack modifier deck.

I think this is maybe worded weirdly.

Every monster attack gets its own modifier, yes, pulling from the shared deck.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Bombadilillo posted:

Yes, All the bandit archers will do the actions on the single red card, drawing a attack modifier card for every enemy they attack.

And if one of them draws a shuffle card, you don't shuffle until the end of the turn.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Monster shields stack, but do our shields stack? Like if the Brute has both an armour item and his shield card up, can he use that to block two damage?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The summon always moves before the turn of whoever summoned it, and it follows monster AI logic.

Also, can you say what happened to have a turn 1 10hp instakill with only 2 characters on the board? That seems really unlikely and you might have messed up a rule, other than just the lack of card removal to prevent damage, for hat to happen.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

misguided rage posted:

One of those guards is elite, so you should have taken 12 damage :eng101:

The monsters in the next room don’t exist until you open the door.

Pretty sure with no enemies to target it just doesn’t move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I just looked at the guard cards. Their low initiative cards don’t let them both move and attack. I think you missed that part. You only do what it says on the card. They don’t move and attack without penalty on anything less than 50 initiative.