Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
We played the first scenario last night and it was fun, but surprisingly difficult!

On the first go, we had two people run straight into the enemies and immediately get murderized (missing the rule about losing cards to prevent damage, but it wouldn't have made a difference because it was a disaster.) We immediately reset and had a pretty rough struggle but managed to squeak out a win at the end.

The only negative was one guy went down about 2/3rds of the way through and didn't have enough cards in his hand to save him, so the last hour was kind of a bummer for him. We all learned a lot and identified a bunch of misplays, and I'm hoping to get it to the table again soon.

The storage is rough, though. I'm storing map tiles in a big file folder I haul around, but getting individual pieces out is much more of a pain than I thought (even though I separated them by general type) and I put all the monster cards and standees in individually labeled envelopes, but the standees keep slipping out and scattering all over the box. Anyone have suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

keldon posted:

My copy showed up Friday. Unfortunately one of the punch boards appeared to have absolutely no glue. The only thing holding it together seemed to be that the cutting had pinched the layers together a bit. Once I punched the pieces they fell apart. Luckily there doesn't seem to be anything critical on that board, just some obstacles and damage tokens, and a big T map piece.

I had this happen just with one piece, not an entire board, and just one side of it. I was able to use regular glue just to stick the part that fell off back on.

My friend's dog also immediately ate a piece as soon as I took it to the table, but luckily it was just one of the summon tracking tokens so in the grand scheme of things it's not a big deal.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
We've played the first two scenarios now, and my group is loving the game, but my Mindthief player is getting very frustrated because he can't figure out the tempo of Mindthief. In his words, all he can do is big melee attacks, but claims to have no way to defend himself or escape without instantly getting blown up. He's the only one of us who's been exhausted, and he exhausted in both scenarios.

Are there any friendly suggestions we can give him for Mindthief players? We don't want to tell him he's playing wrong, but it seems obvious to all of us that he's playing wrong. He also unfortunately took the starting recommended items (potion + poison dagger) and not the invisibility cloak, although I think that will be his next purchase.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

jmzero posted:

No - all the cards for that level enter your pool. You can always use anything that's your level or below (always including X's).

Unless this was errataed I don't believe that's correct.

From the 2nd ed manual:

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

golden bubble posted:

There's an official lower RNG variant in the rules (page 49 or something?) where you pretend nulls and crits ("x2") are actually "-2" and "+2" cards. There's also an unofficial variant where you pretend both nulls and crits are actually "0" cards.

Or, hell, if RNG is a really big issue for you just houserule the game so you don't use the cards at all and everyone does the exact damage printed on their cards at all times.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Then don't play any classes that rely on status effects? or push's and such. I guess you can build every class that way. Sounds really boring.

I 100% agree and would never play that way but if whiffing an attack or not doing the damage you thought you were going to do is going to ruin the game for you you might as well give it a shot before you just offload the entire thing.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Countblanc posted:

My group probably got phenomenally lucky, but we actually cleaned up Scenario 2 quite easily, especially compared to Scenarios 1 and 3, and even had time to leisurely stroll over and loot the treasure without running any notable risk. Basically the boss almost immediately opened all four doors, meaning the last two were completely devoid of enemies, and we were able to get a poison on him early so he just ended up eating a lot of damage and dying before doing anything noteworthy. I think he only actually attacked us twice, and once he was across the room and couldn't hit anyone. Meanwhile the corpses barely moved out of their rooms so we weren't ever taking enough damage to sacrifice cards. And regarding that treasure, our Brute was fortunate enough to loot it and dang that is a Good Treasure.

Yeah, my group had it play out mostly as intended, but a buddy of mine just got to it the other day and kept drawing the summon living bones/reshuffle card over and over, and ended the scenario after a massive slog with not a single door ending up open. They're gonna replay to get the treasure, probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

Wait, what? Summons are Bad? Huh?

3/4 of our party members have summons and we love them.

My group is on the side of the summons being fairly useless outside of a couple niche circumstances.

At first, though, we thought they owned, because we were treating them like player-controlled characters. Once you start properly making them follow the monster movement rules, they almost never go where you need them to go and usually just end up getting in the way, especially if you're in anything other than a tight hallway.