Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Well reposting my question then. Disclaimer: I have yet to play.

I know people have discussed the 'legacy' elements before, but I never really considered not going ALL IN to them until now. I'm wondering if anyone has used the removable stickers and how smoothly the process fits in to the game?

I imagine using them so that you can play the game again in 5 years would be better than using them so you can play two campaigns at once. Putting stickers on a character sheet only to then have to take them off for when your other friends come over later in the week sounds terrible. But playing an entire campaign and then busting the game out when your good friend moves nearby in two years after his residency and being able to start fresh from zero sounds great.

I'd think this tracker https://ninjalooter.de/gloomhaven/scenarios would be better for the two groups at once thing. Could also replace using the stickers, but maybe that's too digital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

ChiTownEddie posted:

I am just sitting here...sobbing...because I don't have my KS shipment notification yet.

For actual content: Board gamers are really weird with the 'destroying/changing stuff' of legacy elements. Are any of you guys actually planning on using removable stickers and what not for this? It seems bonkers to me.

We enthusiastically ripped Pandemic pieces to shreads, but I think that's a more throwaway experience because there is a lot more legacy stuff and the secrets being revealed are what make it great.

With GH though I could definitely see myself playing it again in a few years with different people since it sounds like the gameplay and just pure content are what make it great.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
What does the Mindthief have for damage mitigation/reduction if he has caster squishiness but is also melee?

I'll probably play that or Scoundrel since in two tabletop RPGs I'm in I'm essentially a brute in one and a warlock in the other. In the group of 4 I'll have for this, I have a feeling the Brute will sound too plain for anyone to pick. Would that leave a Mindthief too open to being focused and gibbed?

edit: About how many scenarios does a character last for? Can you swap in and out before retiring one? Wondering how many classes I'll actually get to try throughout a full playthrough of this.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I asked Boardlandia again if they have any new info about my pre-order. They do not. They're hoping to hear from their distributor soon. Do you think Funagain Games are distributor for the retail stores too?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I'm extra hyped for the game now that I've finished staining and assembling my Broken Token organizer.

Just did one coat of a Minwax Chestnut stain.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Countblanc posted:

that's gorgeous, but i live in a tiny apartment and have no work space so i shalln't be doing the same for mine. still, super nice.

I just did it right on the table that it's sitting on that picture. Just put down this thin tarp like thing, but I'm sure newspapers would work too. Bought a $5 can of stain and used some wash cloths. Just pointed a fan at me while doing it and left a window open so I didn't die. Was really easy and only took like 3 hours. I've never stained anything before. Then I just left it all there to dry and flipped the pieces once or twice overnight and the next day.

BrainBot posted:

Impressions is handling wholesale. According to them those copies are on ships as of the November 6.

Sweet that's some concrete info at least.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Drashin posted:

So I am interested in this but I missed the kickstarter so I am wondering about two things. First of all what is the msrp/price that I should expect to pay for the game and secondly what retailers should I be keeping an eye on for when they put it up? The only place I can find that has pre-orders is charging like $250 for it plus shipping which i am pretty sure is way to high.

This link is from the distributor of the Kickstarter https://www.funagain.com/control/product?product_id=039095 and could work. By the time it's available there might be better deals through other retailers so you should watch but this could at least get you in at $120.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I asked Cephalofair for general info about retail pre-orders and received this response: "At this point in time, we are hoping to have Gloomhaven widely available to retail come mid to late December."

That sounds like they're referring to widespread retail availability, so I hope my retail pre-order is earlier than that. Just jealous of you kickstarters.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Just got this email from Boardlandia. Bummer.

"We just heard from our distributor about the ETA of Gloomhaven. The current ETA is Mid January. This is due to the shipments landing at all distributors at various times.

I'm sure you have been seeing people getting their copies of the game already. Keep in mind that those are the people who backed the kickstarter. Our copies are coming from distribution so they do not receive the copies until after the people who backed it.

Thank you for your patience. We know that it's a bummer that it will not make it in time for Christmas. We too are waiting for our personal copy so we understand the disappointment. Unfortunately situations like this are completely out of our control."

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

ShaneB posted:

Fffffffffff

At least it made the decision to order Pandemic Season 2 an easy one.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

andrew smash posted:

Anybody know or heard speculation about a time frame for retail copies showing up? I'm wondering if I'm going to end up waiting for a 3rd printing KS.

Retail pre-orders are supposed to come mid-January. I have no idea if there's any leftover stock because pre-orders have been sold out for awhile. Not sure why the retailer would stop pre-orders if they knew they had more copies coming in.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
For those of you who use Gloomy Companion, do you use it on a phone, tablet, laptop? This goes for any other digital app for the game. I'm wondering if I should get a Fire Tablet since it's on sale for $50 https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Amazon-Fire-HD-8-Tablet-With-Alexa/dp/B01J94SWWU/

What else would I use this for? Other than the app for Space Alert. I guess other board game apps, but what other stuff? Need help being sold on it.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Not having the game yet, I'm confused on which is the good monster app. There's Gloomy Companion which is a web app, but there's also an Android app. Which is being used in these two examples with the 8.9" and the 7"?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Test out the Android app (which I can't say I know the name of) and the Gloomy Companion web app if you can please. I might just go get one at Best Buy since it's the same price. I realize that I can probably use this thing as a recipe display when I'm cooking too which is convenient since my board gaming and cooking take place in the same area.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Thanks. I'm going to get the 7" one. Saw this in the tablet thread to get Google Play Store on it: https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Mindflayer is 3rd tier in the class power rankings at high/boosted scenario level, alongside (symbol) sun.

Music note is 1st tier by themselves. 2nd tier is (symbols) circle+crescent and triforce.

everything else is lower. of course everything is viable if you play it right, but some classes are much better than others as enemy level rises.

Have people put together a class tier list? A non-spoilery one?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Saw this retail update from last week: http://www.cephalofair.com/2017/12/whats-happening-gloomhaven-retail.html

January release

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Looks like the Jan 19 retail street date is being confirmed. I asked Boardlandoa and they said they're getting copies in over the next week and will be shipping out ASAP.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Just got my Boardlandia shipping notification! My stained insert, dice set, sleeves, and accordion folder have been lonely.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Some Numbers posted:

Dice? For Gloomhaven? Just for keeping track of HP, right?

Yeah the HP thing

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Today is the release date. Yesterday there were lots of reddit threads about new pre-orders going up on CSI and Amazon. CSI reps were confirming that any order placed before today should be shipped today. People ordering on amazon were getting prime 2 day delivery confirmations.

Also, can confirm game is huge. It's the size of two Scythe boxes stacked on top of each other. I spent 3 hours last night punching out cardboard, loading up the BT organizer, stuffing the map accordion folder, and starting to sleeve cards. Still have many hours to go.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

OfChristandMen posted:

Which card sleeves are you using? Is there a resource that lines up the Card / Deck sizes -> Appropriate Sleeve type?

I bought five of the 100 packs here: https://www.maydaygames.com/products/mini-euro-card-sleeves

And three of these 100 packs: https://www.maydaygames.com/collections/top-sellers/products/card-game-card-sleeves

I followed the linked BGG sleeving guide when deciding how many to buy. I'm realizing now that I don't need as many mini euro cards because I'm going to use an app for the monster cards.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

CommonShore posted:

Can't flying monsters cross obstacles?

Page 14 says figures can move through obstacles with a Flying movement. If a monster can fly, are all their movements Flying?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I haven't finished reading the manual yet, but if I want to play a solo game to learn the rules before I get the group together, what's the method to do so? The random dungeon deck?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Countblanc posted:

You can just play the first scenario like normal, but if you'd rather not spoil it there was a set of Kickstarter scenarios that Isaac put out during the campaign for funsies, doing the first of those would work too.

Here's the link to the first one: http://www.cephalofair.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/S1_JAN.pdf

and here's a link to the whole set and the surrounding narration: http://www.cephalofair.com/unknown-story-far

I think for solo play you're supposed to lower the scenario level twice and then raise it once due to full open information, so you'd be running on scenario level 0. But if you're just doing it to learn rules rather than actually progress it doesn't really make a difference.

So the random dungeons are only for in-progress campaigns?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Countblanc posted:

You can just play the first scenario like normal, but if you'd rather not spoil it there was a set of Kickstarter scenarios that Isaac put out during the campaign for funsies, doing the first of those would work too.

Here's the link to the first one: http://www.cephalofair.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/S1_JAN.pdf

and here's a link to the whole set and the surrounding narration: http://www.cephalofair.com/unknown-story-far

I think for solo play you're supposed to lower the scenario level twice and then raise it once due to full open information, so you'd be running on scenario level 0. But if you're just doing it to learn rules rather than actually progress it doesn't really make a difference.

For this first bonus scenario it says the goal is to kill enemies equal to 3x # of players. I read if playing solo then I should control two characters. Does that count as two players?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

Yes

Also for solo you treast each 'hand' separate. No trading loot and most notable when you retire a character YOU get a bonus perk for new characters forever. You have to treat that bonus perk separate for each hand.

Thanks. I'm just playing this first kickstarter scenario solo to teach myself before the group expects me to teach them.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Poopy Palpy posted:

Make sure you've got a character who can tank some hits because if you just let the monsters wail on one another you'll lose from them stealing too many kills.

I was going to use Mindthief since I most likely will play her for real and then Cragheart since maybe he could steal away my interest.

I wanted to get used to Gloomy Companion too, but I guess that can't be used for a non-regular scenario.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Just played solo in the kickstarter scenario #1 and I kept track of all my questions!

If a usually melee monster uses a ranged attack, it would still move away from a melee ranged focus, right? Does a melee player character need to use the ranged part of an ability or does that fall under one of the things you can ignore (so don't need to move)?

Does a Mindthief's Augment always count as being played even if you are choosing the bottom action of the card?

Using Gloomy Companion and a monster had Heal 3 but it didn't give a Range or say Self. Is that a self heal?

Using Invisibility on Mindthief makes me invisible after I use it on that turn and I'm still invisible next turn and it wears off at the end of the round?

If I stun someone before they have a turn, they miss their turn this round and the next round?

I played solo so I followed table on page 16 and made the monster level 1 meaning I used the 1 version on all the monster sleeves. But I also see in the first time setup guide on BGG that it says to set the monsters to 1 in step 19. I assume that's instructions for a group though so wouldn't it be level 0 on the sleeves?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

CaptainRightful posted:

Sorry, I didn't get that you were talking specifically about Gloomy Companion. I see that it lists range for attacks on the ability cards, but not for heals. I believe this is an oversight in the app, since heals use the same range as attacks. In the normal game range appears on the monster stats card, not the ability cards.

Yeah I originally was asking about the app specifically.

The app also sometimes has Guard 1 or something similar at the end of a monster ability. It was for a level 1 elite bandit guard. They normally always have Shield 1, so is this an additional temporary shield? Is there a status chip for that and would it start during this turn and end after their next?

Also, anyone else have an opinion on this: Does a melee player character need to use the ranged part of an ability or does that fall under one of the things you can ignore (so don't need to move)? It seems ambiguous since the rules mention you can't ignore negative things on cards, but Ranged by itself isn't inherently negative. Only when you have a target that's in melee range.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

King of Bleh posted:

Yes, guards can use a shield ability, which stacks with their innate shield in the case of elites. When monsters gain a buff from an ability, it takes effect on their initiative and ends when the round ends.

Re: the "ignoring ranged" question, what specifically are you asking? What's the specific situation and specific card? The question is too ambiguous to answer.

An example would be Spare Dagger for the Brute. Attack 3 Range 3 XP 1. Manual says you can ignore parts of an ability as long as they aren't negative. Range is a positive attribute I'd say. I guess you can ignore it meaning you can't attack a far away target but then does the Attack 3 become a melee attack? If it does then I think you should be able to ignore the disadvantage. The only other solution would be that by ignoring the Range, you must also ignore the Attack meaning card just gives you 1 XP.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
In reading the rules I got confused about picking up cards and exhaustion. If you only have one card in your hand, you're exhausted. If there are two cards in discard to pickup you aren't exhausted, but doesn't it cost one card to do that meaning you'll just have one in hand and you'll be exhausted? Is there some reason it doesn't say you need 3 cards in discard?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

misguided rage posted:

And if you have two cards in discard, no cards in hand, you can choose to long rest, losing one card and picking the other up, and then immediately becoming exhausted the next round. Very occasionally useful if it's the last turn of a scenario and you want to avoid exhausting.

Yes this is the example I was thinking of. The time when you have zero in hand. I guess I was just always reading the rules as if you had zero because why would I care about picking the discard pile up if not.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I smushed in the bottom of the first one I shoved in.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
There's no reason for me to have this knowledge but I'm pretty sure it's page 43. It was mentioned in the BT hope it all fits video.

Also yeah do the bonus Kickstarter scenario if you're looking for a rules run.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Cap'n Peacock posted:

Have played with these that a friend printed out and can confirm that they are fantastic and save a ton of time. There's even a little ledge for the status tokens.

Are 3D printers a common thing for us nerds to own now?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I don't know anyone with a 3D printer and pretty much all of my friends are video gamers, many of them board gamers. A couple engineers in there.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I might have read this wrong (because it sounds like a dumb requirement), but when you level up do you HAVE to swap in a new card? Either from your new level or one of your old ones?

I'm thinking that every scenario you can make whatever hand you want from your unlocked cards, right?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I haven't actually played the game other than a bonus Kickstarter but this might be a spoiler if you don't use a custom insert. Is everyone's "open this if you deserve it" envelope under the black default insert? I wouldn't have found it if not for installing my Broken Token insert. I wonder if at some point in the game everyone is told to look under there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
Is movement like D&D? You can do part of a move action, do an attack, and finish the move action? I read about doing hit and run attacks as the Mindthief so I hope that's the case.