Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
all of the office is good, if you like a shows premise and characters just watch until you dont want to anymore. watching some mediocre tv that you enjoy anyway is good. tediously parsing the point at which a shows level of quality drops below the standards of an insufferable nerd isnt a good thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Ocean Book posted:

all of the office is good

psh

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Cubone posted:

people say The Office starts getting bad in season 4
those people are wrong, Scott's Tots and Murder are among the best episodes in the show. they probably are just mad that the bullshit jim and pam will they/won't they ends with "they will" because when has that question ever not

people are also wrong about Dexter. don't watch through season 4. stop after season 1 unless you hunger for increasingly pale imitations of the ice truck killer arc where dexter meets somebody who is Like Him but then he has to kill them because actually they are Not, he is truly alone, optionally a major cast member dies, he is truly alone. or if you love watching deb dick around with her elderly boyfriend and other people in dexter's office getting family drama that goes absolutely nowhere I don't know maybe you do since you love jim and pam so loving much

That one season with Jonathan Lithgow was pretty good. Otherwise, agreed.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
David Wallace is an underrated character

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

No.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
I checked out during season 5. I think there was an episode where they set up a Dance Room in the basement for some reason, it was bad

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Also people who say "this is just like 'the office'!" While working in an office need to throw themselves into traffic.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
Parks and Rec managed to be quality during its whole run (after S1), pity that the Office jumped off a cliff

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Code Jockey posted:

in retrospect, jim was an insufferable twat and charles miner did nothing wrong

i loving hate jim and pam

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
the minute steve carrell leaves the show turns to complete poo poo.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Seaniqua posted:

David Wallace is an underrated character

You take out your Suck-it and you suck it!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

i loving hate jim and pam

They're the worst, and I honestly can't even fathom keeping watching once they get married and have kids with wacky parental situations arising.

*camera mug

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

it will be a.....triumph.....of the will

Lauroon Kyanka
Sep 17, 2017

*trips on a ladybug*

*dies of old age*
i watch the entire show from season 1-9 at least once a year. seasons 1-4 are the best. but the season finale always makes me cry

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

NBC had a good run there with the office, 30 rock, parks and rec, and community. How would you guys rank those?

I think it's 30 rock and then I have no idea after because they are all really good

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

id rather watch lawrence welk reruns than a second of community

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.
after michael scott leaves i just hop around to episodes that sound funny. i don't care for the overarching stories at that point. the office and prison break were the only shows i watched all the way through on netflix and i usually rewatch a good chunk of both whenever i decide to renew my account.

from what i saw community was better than parks and recs but neither were interesting enough for me to watch full seasons.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
I've seen every episode so many times and I just keep watching them over and over

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

buddhanc posted:

NBC had a good run there with the office, 30 rock, parks and rec, and community. How would you guys rank those?

I think it's 30 rock and then I have no idea after because they are all really good

I really liked parks and rec but I lived in Indiana so I may be biased

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The last Office thread made me decide to rewatch the entire show, which I finished recently. I think that seasons 2-5 are great. There is a decline starting in season 6, but there are still many great episodes and moments after that that make it worth it to keep watching. Season 8 is probably the worst and I partially blame Robert California, and it's where you can definitely feel the strain of having dragged the show on for too long. But season 9, ignoring the whole camera crew plot, is actually decent and the final few episodes are amazing. They managed to stick the landing enough that I recommend watching the entire thing.

Basically if you stopped watching after Michael left, you missed some great moments, and binging it on Netflix won't make the bad episodes stand out as much as they would week by week.

LinYutang posted:

Parks and Rec managed to be quality during its whole run (after S1), pity that the Office jumped off a cliff

Disagree completely. Parks and Rec got a bit ridiculous and overblown after season 4. The characters become complete caricatures of themselves. This did also happen on The Office, but not to the same degree. Like after season 4, every single thing Ron said seemed to be written in hopes of creating a meme out of it. They start and drop so many different plot threads each season that it's just a giant mess, and they went so hard on "this is a show about positivity!" that it eventually borders on saccharine. Season 7 was a big improvement though.

All said and done though, they're both good shows for different reasons.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
the ep where dwight gets a concussion is loving hilarious and i defy you to say otherwise

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

the ep where dwight gets a concussion is loving hilarious and i defy you to say otherwise

that might be the funniest episode of the series.

in fact season 2 is the only season worth a poo poo in hindsight. i really hate ed helms

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
poo poo dude, you gotta check out Lost

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
:siren: DWIGHT JUST MACED ROY :siren:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Blue Raider posted:

that might be the funniest episode of the series.

in fact season 2 is the only season worth a poo poo in hindsight. i really hate ed helms

i wouldnt go that far but yeah andy loving sucked especially towards the latter half of the series. im pretty sure he must have molested a writer given the treatment he got

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Pawn 17 posted:

I tried to watch the British version years ago and it was so cringe worthy I just felt embarrassed to be watching it.
Thats the point of it but I do know you guys struggle with higher level comedy. Stick to 'How I met you mother' etc

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Robert California is amazing

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I thought Andy became a pretty good character when he became manager and started actually becoming a good guy and a good manager. They then really poo poo all over that, rendering it pointless.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i’d rank 30 rock and parks and rec higher than the office.

the office isn’t bad but some of the plot lines later on feel really loving off the cuff. like what was the ep run for michaels paper company, 3 episodes??

dwight is consistentlt funny tho and steve carrel kills.

definitely a good side show. like that guy said

i switched to unbreakable kimmy after that actress was introduced and man that show is all over the place.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Pawn 17 posted:

I tried to watch the British version years ago and it was so cringe worthy I just felt embarrassed to be watching it.

It's not good. I don't know why we have to pretend the British shows are good when Americans make vastly superior versions (Shameless is another example).

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Better Fred Than Dead posted:

i’d rank 30 rock and parks and rec higher than the office.

the office isn’t bad but some of the plot lines later on feel really loving off the cuff. like what was the ep run for michaels paper company, 3 episodes??

dwight is consistentlt funny tho and steve carrel kills.

definitely a good side show. like that guy said

i switched to unbreakable kimmy after that actress was introduced and man that show is all over the place.
Kimmy Schmidt is weirdly inconsistent, yeah. When it's good it's good. 30 Rock and P&R are two of the best sitcoms ever, though.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I don't like the Office, but between Parks and Good Place Michael Schur can do whatever he wants at this point.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I thought Andy became a pretty good character when he became manager and started actually becoming a good guy and a good manager. They then really poo poo all over that, rendering it pointless.

He left to film the hangover

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

gary oldmans diary posted:

stop watching a couple minutes before season 1 ends. it gets really corny when he starts talking about his "dark passenger"

reminds me of the colbert soap opera clips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXK78MqnrCU

i like how one of his alter egos is ken sebben, who he voiced, on the mother fukken harvey birdman attorney at law

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Niwrad posted:

It's not good. I don't know why we have to pretend the British shows are good when Americans make vastly superior versions (Shameless is another example).

Nobody but Americans pretend, everyone else knows it's actually true.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Niwrad posted:

It is good, it's just very very different to the US version so it doesn't surprise me that people who see that first don't like the UK version. Echoing the others saying it's a shame they ruined Andy's character. His start on the show, and him nicknaming Jim "Big Tuna" was great.

"Steer clear, Big Tuna. Head for open waters."

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Niwrad posted:

The British version of the office is fine and all but anyone who says it's better than the US version either didn't watch the US version past season 1 (which was a bad version of the British version) or they are just being contrarian.

Also annoying is that while American shows may be run into the ground, I will take that over "hmm. 12 episodes. That's enough, let's never make any more, ever, and definitely don't give the show enough time to fall into it's groove."

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

maskenfreiheit posted:

Looking forward to Pam and Jim bangin

All I can tell you is to stop watching after they do.

Veshpo
May 23, 2016

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Parks and Rec got a bit ridiculous and overblown after season 4. The characters become complete caricatures of themselves.

I agree with this, but I still think its later seasons were stronger than The Office's later seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

poo poo show for idiots

• Locked thread