Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

brugroffil posted:

Huh season 6 of parks and rec was so bad I never bothered with 7, guess I should check it out
It's like with 30 Rock, having a shortened season 7 to wrap things up produced some great material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

maskenfreiheit posted:

I'm on S04E04 ("Launch Party"). Is this where it goes off the rails? It feels like it's going off the rails.

No. I don't think the show ever goes "off the rails." It just becomes a bit tired and drawn out. But like I said before, it's still worth watching through to the end because there's enough good episodes and moments to justify it.

I think 6 and 8 have the most amount of dull episodes.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cnut the Great posted:

Actually, I like the British version better because...I like it better.

The British version is better because it's very clear that you aren't supposed to really like these people and they are all hosed up losers, even the ones that initially seem likable. It has a seething hatred of its subject matter lurking under the surface.

The American one is too cheery and is way too soft on the characters. It lacks the necessary hate.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zl1WKGPxWA

Good later season bit.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I unironically lusted after Dwight and would have done him in real life. I think he carried the show. Best depiction of weirdo autist coworker I've seen.

Call me Meredith

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

This is a great example of how sometimes comedy shows have to go with mediocre takes because the best ones are so loving good EVERYBODY cracks

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Spinster posted:

I unironically lusted after Dwight and would have done him in real life. I think he carried the show. Best depiction of weirdo autist coworker I've seen.

Call me Meredith

rashida jones is so much prettier and cooler than pam

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yeah for real though.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
none of these b-teamers have anything on the best tv wife, allison brie.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chaosbreather posted:

parks and rec was only good season one where it was a story about a woman getting crushed to death by life and bureaucracy "yes, minister" style. it was satirical and incisive, at times brutal indictment of that structure.

but the viewers who find themselves trapped in those structures complained that she wasn't a 'good role model' so they just turned our tragic hero into the world's most bland, most boring superhero overnight whose entire message is to reinforce, justify and pacify us to the worst aspects of society

the idea that one woman can overcome the nature of society if she's just spunky enough isn't just masturbatory, its putting dehumanisation its victims. why does your job feel pointless and every effort totally wasted? it's not because the system has inherent flaws and requires major rebuilding, it's because you just don't have enough grit

lol what

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Smythe posted:

none of these b-teamers have anything on the best tv wife, allison brie.

Egg would be stiff competition. You can't knock her over.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spinster posted:

I wish that actor did get more roles in all seriousness.

Super was loving fantastic.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Code Jockey posted:

I appreciate Robert California a lot more after seeing James Spader in Blacklist, and I like to think Robert California was just an alias used by Reddington while he established his paper company business

He was fine and one of the only funny things from those seasons.

What they did with Ed Helms character.. holy fuckballs, pictures from those episodes should be in the wikipedia article on "Character Assassination"

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Blazing Ownager posted:

I wish that actor did get more roles in all seriousness.

Super was loving fantastic.

He's in the new Trek show.

Also, what ever happened to the Dwight spin off? Did they even film a pilot?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jose Oquendo posted:

He's in the new Trek show.

Also, what ever happened to the Dwight spin off? Did they even film a pilot?

That's cool. I've heard it's decent maybe I'll give it a watch sometime.

And yes they did. They chopped it up and made it into that lovely Dwight's Farm episode of the Office instead.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
at the time that the robert california episodes aired, i had a boss that was exactly like robert california. it almost got me to stop watching the show altogether.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The British version is better because it's very clear that you aren't supposed to really like these people and they are all hosed up losers, even the ones that initially seem likable. It has a seething hatred of its subject matter lurking under the surface.

isn't that literally all british TV though

like i'm pretty sure british television is powered by raw misanthropy

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

isn't that literally all british TV though

like i'm pretty sure british television is powered by raw misanthropy

Nah only some of the fancy kind

The majority of British tv is panel shows and reality shows so stupid that they're worse thsn even American reality shows

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Nah only some of the fancy kind

The majority of British tv is panel shows and reality shows so stupid that they're worse thsn even American reality shows

qi is good

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Vegetable posted:

People hate on Ed Helms but this is gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYGKs87TXlM

thats one of my favorite of his moments actually and it goes lengths to redeem the guy

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

maskenfreiheit posted:

rashida jones is so much prettier and cooler than pam

rashida jones is unnervingly pretty and has good comedic skills.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Blazing Ownager posted:

He was fine and one of the only funny things from those seasons.

What they did with Ed Helms character.. holy fuckballs, pictures from those episodes should be in the wikipedia article on "Character Assassination"

he must have infuriated the writing team for something besides the hangover. like they were actually mad at him

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Have Blue posted:

qi is good

qi is very fun and somehow less misanthropic than you'd expect from brit tv

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Milo and POTUS posted:

he must have infuriated the writing team for something besides the hangover. like they were actually mad at him

I'd believe it.. from making him into a huge, huge douche from a fairly likable character out of nowhere that then began chasing a girl like a third his age and then, after a season of building it, he suddenly runs off and becomes A MEEEEEGA douche, like his character became actively horribly creepy borish rear end in a top hat out of loving nowhere.

My favorite is still John Rhys-Davis on Sliders. He poo poo talked a Sci-Fi producer at a Christmas Party for being a douche (I think the guy was hitting on women there while there with his wife and it pissed a rather drunk Davis off, if I remember right).

Well guess what happened to Sliders? Sci-Fi bought it. So that guy, personally who vocally hated Rhys-Davis for years because of that, demanded to kill him off. But not just kill him off. First they melted his brain and made him stupid. Then they killed him in two different ways before leaving him bleeding out and stupid on a planet that exploded. It's kind of glorious.

... of course, poor John Rhys-Davis could only find work on the small independent movie Lord of the Rings so they sure showed him

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

rashida jones is unnervingly pretty and has good comedic skills.

she also cowrote my favorite black mirror episode

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosedive

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

maskenfreiheit posted:

I did not realize that, that owns

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

maskenfreiheit posted:

that is a seriously terrifying episode

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Official 2009 thusrday night nbc comedy ranking:

4. the office
3. parks and rec
2. 30 rock
1. community

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Realtalk though even the best Black Mirror episodes are a midgrade Outer Limits and the bottom goes a loooot further down.

Your opinion may vary depending on how intensely you want to huff your own farts.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Last Chance posted:

Official 2009 thusrday night nbc comedy ranking:

4. the office
3. parks and rec
2. 30 rock
1. community

I'd say 30 Rock might come slightly before Community but otherwise spot-on

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

community was fuckin good yo

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Former DILF posted:

community was fuckin good yo

I agree!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I loved it but after a certain season it got terrible for a little while

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Realtalk though even the best Black Mirror episodes are a midgrade Outer Limits and the bottom goes a loooot further down.

Your opinion may vary depending on how intensely you want to huff your own farts.

what the gently caress is it with goons and the fart huffing. see also "disappeared up their own rear end"

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

If onlys and justs were candies and nuts, then everyday would be Erntedankfest

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Spinster posted:

Call me Meredith

When I was watching The Office while it was airing Jim was obviously the relatable cool guy who works with a bunch of weirdos *looks into camera and shrugs* but rewatching now Jim is a prick and Dwight turns into a total bad rear end that does what he loves and doesn't give a gently caress what other people think. Pam is the most boring character and goes from cute quiet boring girl to loud outgoing boring failure at everything she does. I love hating both of them now

The show nose dives into the ground once Sabre buys the company, then dies after Michael leaves. Phyllis, Stanley and Kevin become just 'lol fat jokes'.

Season 2 is still so god drat funny and quotable holy poo poo lol

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
the new hr woman thinking kevin is retarded is classic

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

kazr posted:

The show nose dives into the ground once Sabre buys the company, then dies after Michael leaves

Agree here. Kathy Bates is great but her character, and the Sabre storyline altogether, brings the show to a screeching halt.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

what the gently caress is it with goons and the fart huffing. see also "disappeared up their own rear end"

loving goonz lol amirite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

kazr posted:

When I was watching The Office while it was airing Jim was obviously the relatable cool guy who works with a bunch of weirdos *looks into camera and shrugs* but rewatching now Jim is a prick and Dwight turns into a total bad rear end that does what he loves and doesn't give a gently caress what other people think. Pam is the most boring character and goes from cute quiet boring girl to loud outgoing boring failure at everything she does. I love hating both of them now

The show nose dives into the ground once Sabre buys the company, then dies after Michael leaves. Phyllis, Stanley and Kevin become just 'lol fat jokes'.

Season 2 is still so god drat funny and quotable holy poo poo lol

Dwight is purestrain goon in the very best way, yes. Imagine how perfectly it fits him shitposting in FYAD or whatever in between calls. His rage at being banned, taking it out on everyone in the office until Jim makes an account and begs the mods to let him back. Or Jim tries to troll him, it backfires because he's so lame, gets doxxed, and Dwight has to save him through his contacts with 4chan. Pam innocently posts a selfie on Jims account and THE BOARD GOES WILD over her tits, (she secretly likes it.) Turns out Meredith was permabanned, something to do with her dog, no one can find out what, and Creed is an admin all along but stays silent until he finally offers to gas everything in return for a paid week off.

• Locked thread