Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Extra Large Marge posted:

Jim wearing a tux to work to annoy Dwight, only to piss off the new boss is such a good bit.

Elba looking out the office window at Jim and then the camera panning back to him and his like lifting up the blinds while Jim yawns is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Pick posted:

I've only seen clips of this show but I don't know why people dislike the boss since he seems like he means well and is a caring guy. Meanwhile the frizzy haired looks-in-camera man is a loving twat and I'd kick his rear end.
the character comes apparently out of ricky gervais' own personal experience of a boss who was incompetent and pathetic but wanted to be the cool guy at work and everyone's friend

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Zane posted:

the character comes apparently out of ricky gervais' own personal experience of a boss who was incompetent and pathetic but wanted to be the cool guy at work and everyone's friend

And that man's name?

Karl Pilkington

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
All the recent Jim hate popping up everywhere seems like such "nice guy" fedora poo poo to me.

"You see Jim actually disrespected Pam and treated her badly! *I* would never do that!"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Zane posted:

why not be his friend? he probably doesn't like being incompetent. but he's got to bread win like everyone else. it's not like the job actually matters much i assume.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

All the recent Jim hate popping up everywhere seems like such "nice guy" fedora poo poo to me.

"You see Jim actually disrespected Pam and treated her badly! *I* would never do that!"

Lol what, jim's story is written as such nice guy wish fulfillment fantasy it might as well be described as pandering

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Pick posted:

why not be his friend? he probably doesn't like being incompetent. but he's got to bread win like everyone else. it's not like the job actually matters much i assume.
the british office at least (i haven't seen american office) does actually strike this sort of half-ambivalent tone!

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

pretty soft girl posted:

Lol what, jim's story is written as such nice guy wish fulfillment fantasy it might as well be described as pandering

Well yeah I get that, which makes it even dumber to try and find ways that he's actually a bad guy.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Pick posted:

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Well yeah I get that, which makes it even dumber to try and find ways that he's actually a bad guy.

He's a bland smug turd with a dumb face who doesnt make me laugh and that's a bad guy to be in a comedy show

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I don't think Jim is a total rear end in a top hat, but he certainly should have taken that punch from Roy. Dude was in the wrong, Roy was in the right. Dwight was a good friend there, too.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't think Jim is a total rear end in a top hat, but he certainly should have taken that punch from Roy. Dude was in the wrong, Roy was in the right. Dwight was a good friend there, too.

Yes, but Roy was totally perfect for your embarrassing first boyfriend from like high school.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Pick posted:

I don't know why people dislike the boss since he seems like he means well and is a caring guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLp8pjqwlsc

Solice Kirsk posted:

Dwight was only acting in the line of duty :clint:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
tim should have sucked dwights cock for saving his life

Tommah
Mar 29, 2003

I ACQUIT

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-g4_0WsvJ8

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Women are not property and you cannot assault people who they choose to kiss.

Roy Deserved Everything He Got

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, and it's not like Pam didn't want to kiss Jim.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Yeah, and it's not like Pam didn't want to kiss Jim.

Also let’s be real: off camera, Roy beat her

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Zane posted:

so it was autobiographical, then

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Zane posted:

And that boss’s name? Ricky Gervais

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Goddamn I can't breathe from laughing so hard.

Oh and James spader is a god and I wish I could spend a day listening to him tell stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0m3lfCGgO0

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

buddhanc posted:

Oh and James spader is a god and I wish I could spend a day listening to him tell stories.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf-_230SjbM

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
the sabre stuff couldve worked if they committed to kathy bates as the new ceo and robert california as the new manager since james spader and kathy bates are good actors but instead it's this weird mishmash of he's the ceo but works out of their conference room every day and andy's the manager but sucks now and kathy bates disappears entirely??

maybe she had scheduling conflicts but considering she's in like four out of six garbage seasons of american horror story i doubt it

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
the sabre stuff just felt so forced and weird

and yeah that sucked because bates and spader are amazing

buddhanc posted:

:allears:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
i liked bates, despised california though. like he was just slime

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

and his obnoxious loving kid was unbearable

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Wolfsheim posted:

the sabre stuff couldve worked if they committed to kathy bates as the new ceo and robert california as the new manager since james spader and kathy bates are good actors but instead it's this weird mishmash of he's the ceo but works out of their conference room every day and andy's the manager but sucks now and kathy bates disappears entirely??
Yeah, and made even weirder in that he took the position of CEO because he walked into the office and immediately decided he didn't want to be there. He then has to commute between Florida and Scranton constantly just to be at the Scranton branch for no reason.

His character just didn't seem to fit with the ensemble. The timing of him joining the show is also very frustrating because, while I love Michael, I had hoped that in his absence, they could explore the lives of the other Office characters that weren't as fleshed out,. Instead most of season 8 is kind of squandered on dealing with Robert. His one redeeming moment is the pool party episode, which is pretty good.

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
I feel like they did everything they could in exploring the ensemble without Steve Carell. It was an impossible task to have a new lead with Carell gone. I mean, how can you top "Scott's Tots"?"

"The Office" without Carell was wonderfully average. At least we got to experience a few seasons with the cast members we grew to love, with a sprinkling of new inputs, and yet we will always have Froggy 101.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think it was entirely possible to find a new leading man. Going with Ed Helms was just about the worst thing they could have done.

But even if they did, I don't think that'd have stemmed the rot that was the writing. The whole thing was a cartoon by season 6.

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
Hey so I am on the internet and everyone is negative and is a critic so:

Vegetable can you please suggest someone who could have maybe taken over the series because I have no idea. I thought Will Ferrell was solid and from Tina Fey's "Bossypants" she stated that he would do ANYTHING and make it wonderful. I agree with her, he couldn't make or break the series, because it was dead after Carell left and nobody could take over.

Maybe Tina Fey? I mean Amy Poehler went on for Parks and Recreation and whatnot.

Ok I got it - Joe loving Rogan. He has the receding hairline and he is fuckable.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Vegetable posted:

I think it was entirely possible to find a new leading man. Going with Ed Helms was just about the worst thing they could have done.
the years following The Hangover were an agonizing process of watching Hollywood slowly piece together that Ed Helms just isn't the guy

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
the obvious answer is larry david

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Bob Odenkirk would have been a great fit, I think. He actually auditioned for the part of Michael Scott before they went with Steve Carell.

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
wendy wheelchair

how many new gags could have been invented? imho zero.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Homestar Runner posted:

the obvious answer is larry david

Bob Odenkirk did great during those scenes where Pam was interviewing for a new job in season 9.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What really grinds my gears about the later seasons is how sleek they look. Everything is perfectly lit and the actors all look too well-dressed and groomed to be shittown office workers. By the end Erin looked like a supermodel. The show just went wrong in so many ways.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I liked the british office better because they don't pussy out

michael is a huge rear end in a top hat for 90% of the show and then in his last season they make him a good guy and to have an emotional farewell

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Vegetable posted:

What really grinds my gears about the later seasons is how sleek they look. Everything is perfectly lit and the actors all look too well-dressed and groomed to be shittown office workers. By the end Erin looked like a supermodel. The show just went wrong in so many ways.
yeah i agree. i rewatched the entire show last year and the later seasons are so strange and soulless. the prequels of the office? i did enjoy that they made them though lol.

the only true version of the office is the thick of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

His one redeeming moment is the pool party episode, which is pretty good.

i liked the episode with his ex-wife

• Locked thread