Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77r3rLeC9uY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSr7sciHcDQ

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Condiv posted:

post for the thread:

jojo's bizarre adventure is the best anime of all time

Main characters beat up aristocrats while being super gay about it? Yeah, its pretty cspam as gently caress

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

hey OP thats a nice star trek av you've got there

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i think old anime and manga can be quite good like nausicaa, the akira manga, barefoot gen and legend of galactic heroes etc back then the authors were drawing on varied influences and usually had some kind of pacifist or anti-imperialist theme since they'd lived through some insane upheavals

now its basically all self-referential stuff and nearly every modern anime includes the epiphany: "the rule of life is survival of the fittest/the strong devour the weak" and gets pretty fashy
like comics 1% are decent 99% of them are brain poison but moreso than comics the lows are extremely low and disgusting

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

also jojo isnt very good and I don't understand its popularity other than its wacky meme potential
even its animation is not very good and other than that its just a childrens cartoon. the best thing about it was Roundabout

iirc jojo's power skips his daughter, who is so fragile as a woman that she just starts to die when her powers are activated

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

nopantsjack posted:

now its basically all self-referential stuff and nearly every modern anime includes the epiphany: "the rule of life is survival of the fittest/the strong devour the weak" and gets pretty fashy
like comics 1% are decent 99% of them are brain poison but moreso than comics the lows are extremely low and disgusting

I think you're going off a small, strange sample, my friend

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

nopantsjack posted:

also jojo isnt very good and I don't understand its popularity other than its wacky meme potential
even its animation is not very good and other than that its just a childrens cartoon. the best thing about it was Roundabout

iirc jojo's power skips his daughter, who is so fragile as a woman that she just starts to die when her powers are activated

read part 6

it's very good and has the best jojo (jolyne)

thank

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

I think you're going off a small, strange sample, my friend

well yeah, youd have to watch a big ol heap of anime to have a good sample size

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

nopantsjack posted:

this is complete horseshit, his daughter is the mc of part 6 and is the most hardass of all the mcs (she starts the story in a prison), it was his mom whos ~gentle soul~ couldnt handle the power so they have an excuse to go beat up a gay vampire living in egypt

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRAF2-Exzx4

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

HerraS posted:

this is complete horseshit, his daughter is the mc of part 6 and is the most hardass of all the mcs (she starts the story in a prison), it was his mom whos ~gentle soul~ couldnt handle the power so they have an excuse to go beat up a gay vampire living in egypt

his mum was another jojo's daughter tho

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

nopantsjack posted:

his mum was another jojo's daughter tho

They skipped Jotaro's mom but they skipped Joseph's dad too. And like the dude said, Jotaro's daughter was the main character of Stone Ocean.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
but back to the more important thing, that video I posted is the best anime opening.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
i subscribed to VRV last month so i could watch season 2 of harmonquest, and a couple of weeks ago i was scrolling around the app to see what else they had, and apparently what VRV mostly has is fucktons of anime

and in my scrolling i came across this short anime set between the two blade runner movies, and i thought maybe that was the anime for me, so i watched it

after it was over, i read some reviews to get a feel for whether it was generally considered a good anime or a bad anime, and the consensus among viewers on VRV was that it was amazing and awesome and a super good anime

but somehow the reviews all read like they were written by literal children

i may try another anime later

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
someone recommend a political anime like LOGH, im about to finish it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
you should all read national quiz its really good

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.
So what anime is Rudatron's av from?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

morally adept posted:

monogatari

i'm not a fan

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008

succ posted:

anything by oshii before the new millennium is good

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Duscat posted:

but somehow the reviews all read like they were written by literal children

All animes are set in high school so they ensmoothen and shrink the brain

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Speaking of smoothbrained highschool animes a friend recommended kill la kill.
Me and the missus thought it would be diabolical trash but it was actually v enjoyable, very sex positive and chill for a titty fanservice anime feat underage kids

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

nopantsjack posted:

very sex positive anime feat underage kids

:chloe:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

succ posted:

The original Gundam from the 70s is alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk2vrRKel6k

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i thought this was a no-dub space

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

morally adept posted:

owarimonogatari

succ posted:

patlabor, 1 & 2
all of gits
gundam series can be surprisingly good, so iron blooded orphans, or..maybe 00? that might be a stretch though, and you have to put up with the rest of it

rudatron has issued a correction as of 12:50 on Nov 15, 2017

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2sqdudEle4

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

ibo is v. bad. watch greco.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opf3j4dF4SM

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
ah, can't believe i forget about planetes

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

rudatron posted:

ah, can't believe i forget about planetes

I'm still sad I sold my DVD boxed set of Planetes when I was broke.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Prav posted:

Iron-Bloode Orphans is good but yeah watch Reconguista in G.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

nopantsjack posted:

Speaking of smoothbrained highschool animes a friend recommended kill la kill.
Me and the missus thought it would be diabolical trash but it was actually v enjoyable, very sex positive and chill for a titty fanservice anime feat underage kids

hates jojo, loves kill la kill

:chloe:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

They skipped Jotaro's mom but they skipped Joseph's dad too. And like the dude said, Jotaro's daughter was the main character of Stone Ocean.

also she's easily the most hardcore jojo

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Prav posted:

Watch Turn A instead of G-Reco, actually. They're the same series, but Turn A has the privilege of having a slower pace due to twice the episode count.

Also IBO is at least good in its message of "don't throw in with fascists."

Qwazes
Sep 29, 2014
Fun Shoe
little witch academia has an entire episode about a labor dispute where the protagonist sides with the strikers

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Qwazes posted:

little witch academia has an entire episode about a labor dispute where the protagonist sides with the strikers

Little Witch Academia's entire plot is an allegory for Marxism.

In any case, the C-SPAMiest anime is From the New World, because you start out as a dumbass kid who thinks the world is great until you find out that your society is built on a history of mass murder and brutal exploitation. Then you become teenagers and get to be gay with your friends, but adults still want to make you disappear because your friend is just too radical. Then you grow up and become a complacent instrument of the state, until the Third World rises up and tries to kill you all before you can kill them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o63JtqdncRc

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

nopantsjack posted:

even its animation is not very good and other than that its just a childrens cartoon

:thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mecha Gojira posted:

Watch Turn A instead of G-Reco, actually. They're the same series, but Turn A has the privilege of having a slower pace due to twice the episode count.

Also IBO is at least good in its message of "don't throw in with fascists."

I thought Turn A Gundam was the best one, but it's been a while since I've seen it so I'm not sure if it's aged that well.

Gundam Thunderbolt is all over youtube. It's brilliantly animated and scored, and starts off seeming like a fun romp but quickly degenerates into the sociopathic logic of total war. Each half of the ONA is only an hour long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

• Locked thread