Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

kill la kill had some great fights and animation but there was no reason that it HAD to be in a highschool setting, or contain THAT scene. they're obvs very creative folks so they could've found a way to tell the same story without the usual :whitewater: anime problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the HS setting is so ludicrous it's parody.

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

jesus is moe, buddha is tsundere

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yossarian-22 posted:

jesus is moe, buddha is tsundere

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Little Witch Academia's entire plot is an allegory for Marxism.

i thought this point was a bit overblown by goons until i got to the reveal that the main character's growth had been stunted because her surplus magical labor had been appropriated by a magical bourgeoisie

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

that quiz manga is actually awesome as heck

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

the bitcoin of weed posted:

i thought this point was a bit overblown by goons until i got to the reveal that the main character's growth had been stunted because her surplus magical labor had been appropriated by a magical bourgeoisie

The new source of dark technological magic is a metaphor for industrial capital supplanting traditional modes of power and production.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I thought Turn A Gundam was the best one, but it's been a while since I've seen it so I'm not sure if it's aged that well.

Gundam Thunderbolt is all over youtube. It's brilliantly animated and scored, and starts off seeming like a fun romp but quickly degenerates into the sociopathic logic of total war. Each half of the ONA is only an hour long.

The best part about Gundam Thunderbolt I think is the fact that it's a side-story, but one that simultaneously recognizes the events of the original series and carries most of the same themes while never directly referencing it. It doesn't shy away from the child soldier or "Newtype" ideologies that other side-stories tend to skip over. The idea of the Federation using children in a vain attempt to recreate the White Base miracle, only to have dozens of untrained kids get mowed down by disabled Zeon veterans.

The Pyrrhic Victory at the end of December Sky is probably one of my favorite bits, though. Was it worth it, sacrificing your body to the Machine? History will tell us no, since while the Zeon were able to hold onto the Thunderbolt sector, they were immediately pulled out for the final defense of A Baoa Qu, where Zeon ultimately loses the war. Oh, and Zeon had already perfected a mind-control interface without the need to directly tap into a person's nervous system.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
redline owns and everyone should watch it with the sound turned right up

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

nopantsjack posted:

also jojo isnt very good and I don't understand its popularity other than its wacky meme potential
even its animation is not very good and other than that its just a childrens cartoon. the best thing about it was Roundabout

iirc jojo's power skips his daughter, who is so fragile as a woman that she just starts to die when her powers are activated

:frogout:

Watch Little Witch Academy, Planetes, and Durarara.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jose posted:

redline owns and everyone should watch it with the sound turned right up

Redline is one of the best animated features ever made, and it's criminally unrecognized.

Mecha Gojira posted:

The idea of the Federation using children in a vain attempt to recreate the White Base miracle, only to have dozens of untrained kids get mowed down by disabled Zeon veterans.

I thought they were resorting to child soldiers because something like 1/3 of the Earth's population had already been wiped out in the colony drops and the war, but if they're trying to recreate White Base then lmao.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
It's both. The mechanic notes that's why the kids arrived with state of the art Gundam prototypes.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Redline is one of the best animated features ever made, and it's criminally unrecognized.

I thought they were resorting to child soldiers because something like 1/3 of the Earth's population had already been wiped out in the colony drops and the war, but if they're trying to recreate White Base then lmao.

Operation British alone killed half of the earth's population

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQW_yzAChs

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Feranon posted:

without the usual :whitewater: anime problems

what you call a problem is actually an anime blessing

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/930500032389791744

Guy Goodbody posted:

Operation British alone killed half of the earth's population

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQW_yzAChs

Universal Century is pretty hardcore.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 21:32 on Nov 15, 2017

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I have an impossible time keeping track of which Gundams are good because there's about a thousand of them but the original is excellent as a serious war series and G Gundam is excellent as an incredibly wacky racist-super-robot-of-the-week shonen

seed is bad and wing is braindead and 08th MS team is basically Rogue One with big robots (in a good way, imo)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i've only seen gundam wing when it was on toonami and i was 13

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the bitcoin of weed posted:

I have an impossible time keeping track of which Gundams are good because there's about a thousand of them but the original is excellent as a serious war series and G Gundam is excellent as an incredibly wacky racist-super-robot-of-the-week shonen

seed is bad and wing is braindead and 08th MS team is basically Rogue One with big robots (in a good way, imo)

turn a is the best gundam

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Putting 08th MS Team in the same sentence as Wing and Seed is a really weird way to frame it, because Seed & Wing are trash and 08th is one of the best.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Putting 08th MS Team in the same sentence as Wing and Seed is a really weird way to frame it, because Seed & Wing are trash and 08th is one of the best.

Not a fan of the Romeo and Juliette main plot clashing with the supposedly grounded aesthetics.

At least it ain't 0083, where no one is likeable, everyone is an idiot rear end in a top hat. But it ain't no 0080 either.

Wing is a sheer camp, though, and it still holds a special place in my heart. SEED is just trash.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mecha Gojira posted:

Not a fan of the Romeo and Juliette main plot clashing with the supposedly grounded aesthetics.

That part is cliched, sure, but almost no other Gundam show directly showcases the marginally unimportant grunt work on the sidelines of the epic narrative - especially not when it was released.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i like that when they remade seed, they were upset that gundam jesus ever did a bad by killing someone, so they changed it to the guy jumping on gundam jesus' sword instead

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

felicity jones looks pretty anime imo but rogue 1 was loving poo poo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

08th MS Team has nothing in common with Rogue 1. It has more in common with Vietnam movies.

Condiv posted:

i like that when they remade seed, they were upset that gundam jesus ever did a bad by killing someone, so they changed it to the guy jumping on gundam jesus' sword instead

Seed 2 was so loving bad it killed any interest I had in watching another Gundam show ever again, until I just saw Thunderbolt a month ago.

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 22:08 on Nov 15, 2017

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Wish they'd do more Later UC stuff. People hate Unicorn but I appreciate that it recognizes Anaheim Electronics is part of the problem and explains why you don't hear much from them after around UC 0120 (though they are technically still around by Victory Gundam in 0150, building the Victory 2 on Von Braun).

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The problem with later UC stuff is that it just gets a little too esoteric, and has only tenuous ties to the original Zeon conflicts - so at that point you might as well do an alternate universe story that's easier for new viewers to get into.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Mecha Gojira posted:

Wish they'd do more Later UC stuff. People hate Unicorn but I appreciate that it recognizes Anaheim Electronics is part of the problem and explains why you don't hear much from them after around UC 0120 (though they are technically still around by Victory Gundam in 0150, building the Victory 2 on Von Braun).

that'd be great if the big reveal in unicorn wasn't such a huge wet fart

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Condiv posted:

that'd be great if the big reveal in unicorn wasn't such a huge wet fart

It was hilariously obvious what Laplace's ultimately contained, though the TV series spoils it the same way all anime handles spoilers: making it extremely obvious what happens either during the opening or closing credits.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I think Tsutomu Nihei's work is very CSPAM in several ways.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

i forgot about it until the end of that post since i watched it 10 years ago and barely remember it but I'm pretty sure it was in fact very good

and the rogue one comparison mostly comes from the overall plot of "small team of weird misfits on a suicide mission as part of a larger war effort" rather than anything to do with the other 80% of rogue one that sucked

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Angels egg is good and it's free on youtube

So is Ringing Bell which is Sanrio doing a bloody tale warning against non conformity

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Anything junji ito is rad especially his version of Frankenstein

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Anything junji ito is rad especially his version of Frankenstein

What's the name of the Frankenstein story? I loved Uzumaki and The Enigma of Amigara Fault.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

It's just called Frankenstein here it is

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Itou-Junji-Kyoufu-Manga-Collection/Vol-016-Ch-000--Frankenstein?id=103140

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I prefer the anime commissioned by that cult where Frankenstein's monster becomes a Christian.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Jose posted:

i've only seen gundam wing when it was on toonami and i was 13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lvJ6eFcCJE

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Gundam Wing owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7OSeEMxDKE

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I prefer the anime commissioned by that cult where Frankenstein's monster becomes a Christian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVnscHsPfR4

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

succ posted:

someone recommend a political anime like LOGH, im about to finish it

GITS stand alone complex second season is all about a refugee crisis paralyzing a neo-liberal Japan. There's a che guevara guy with a katana and a deep state fascist weirdo too

the entire show is worth watching, though don't expect anything revelatory - it's competent throughout but never great imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

KaptainKrunk posted:

GITS stand alone complex second season is all about a refugee crisis paralyzing a neo-liberal Japan. There's a che guevara guy with a katana and a deep state fascist weirdo too

the entire show is worth watching, though don't expect anything revelatory - it's competent throughout but never great imo.

Is it as good as the scarjo live action?

• Locked thread