Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

A: If you don't mind me asking, what part of the country did you grow up in, and is it the same area you reenact in?

B: Do you reenact specific battles or is it more of a loose 'skirmish'-style reenactment?

C: If you could give a percentage, how many people are there genuinely for the historical portion versus other reasons?

I ask because I grew up in Georgia and the Civil War reenactments were pretty much all Confederacy-driven, with Union troops nonexistent (Look, this is a Civil War-era camp! This is how they would have lived on the march when there wasn't a battle around! No, we don't do battle reenactments here for...uh...reasons.).

This is a legitimately good thread, and if I'm making GBS threads it up with politics, my bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

McNally posted:

I go to reenactments in what was the Eastern Theater of the war: As far north as Gettysburg, as far south as maybe Petersburg (possibly Norfolk). I grew up in Northern Virginia, but my family comes from central New York.

In my group, I'd say that pretty much every man is genuinely interested in history. We actually have strict rules about politics in camp: Don't talk about politics.

Okay, that's cool as poo poo.

The Civil War is a incredibly interesting from a military history view, and I'm pissed that it gets so heavily politicized. I'm glad your group plays it straight.

• Locked thread