Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=151668

Moved to lpix.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Fun fact: The green letters on the monitor is the same green as Gifcam, so I can't make a GIF with it. I was about to make that final picture a GIF, but it ends up with the original code as transparent and the translated one as invisible until the "minigame success" flash. It looks terrible.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I mean ostensibly we're looking for Mila in this random dungeon, so Kyle's death is her fault

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Kyle's deadpan expression is his realization that he managed to die in a game with fairly low risk game overs thus far.

Also, yeah, one hour? You might as well come back the next day for all the good that does.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

DeathChicken posted:

I mean ostensibly we're looking for Mila in this random dungeon, so Kyle's death is her fault

Poor Mila did nothing wrong. :colbert:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Kyle's deadpan expression is his realization that he managed to die in a game with fairly low risk game overs thus far.

Also, yeah, one hour? You might as well come back the next day for all the good that does.

Kyle didn't die. He's right there alive and well on the Game Over screen.

Yeah, I really don't know what they're thinking with waiting for 1 hour.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Does graphite powder actually improve electrical contacts IRL?

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Graphites is conductive, so its powder is conductive too. Don't know if it would work like how it did in the game, but it seems to work.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

(This thing's some sort of code breaker. And this is the secret that was never to be revealed.)

*Knocking sound*

Who's there?

Yo, Hyde! You in here?

So basically the game hopes the plot twist is enough to make you forget about the bad game design (black light) and obvious event flag (Louie arriving). It definitely hasn't been one hour yet.

Music: The Last Sleep

Yeah, I dig! I'm gonna open the door, man!

*The door opens*

Yo, Hyde!

...Think so.
I was gettin' worried, so I came to check up on ya. Good thing, too!
[img]https://lpix.org/2976760/Louie%203.jpg[/igm]Looks like you needed my help after all, yeah?
Yeah...
So, how'd you get locked in?
The door was open when I came down here. I was poking around when somebody shut the door from the outside.
Oh, TRIP! So where'd this mystery door-closer go, huh? Ain't come through the hall, man.

Maybe whoever attacked you is in the room with the door barely concealed in front of you? Spoilers: Dunning isn't the one who locked Kyle. Nor did Mila. Nor did Louie or Rosa. It's never exactly stated, but it's implied to be just an accident. So Kyle almost died in that room because of an accident.

Speaking of the room, let's go back to it!

We actually have another code, so let's put it.

The number is still the same as the previous one.

("There's something nostalgic in the Love Room.")
("Something nostalgic?")

Not exactly what it says, but close enough.

Did someone come through here?
No. Why? Did something happen?
...Hmm.

This just reinforces the accident theory. You can technically go out and explore the hotel now, but...it's kinda late for that. The black light should've already been used, so it's no use picking them up now. The matchstick puzzle also doesn't change. I suppose if you want to listen to the jukebox, you can do it now.

To progress, though, we just have to go to the corner of the underpass.

You hear that? What...
Hey, check it out! The bricks from the wall...
Yeah, some of them have fallen. But why are they...

Wall I can see where the bricks have fallen off the wall.
I can see the wall through gaps in the bricks. These bricks look like they've been put up recently.
Maybe we can...
Yeah, somethin's there.

We can't quit this minigame. Just tapping the wall results in nothing, but we still have to do it anyway to exit.
No, that's not it.
This isn't working. I need a tool with some heft.
Bricks There are bricks scattered across the floor.

Use hammer on wall

This is why we have to grab the hammer in the basement.

Just tapping the wall until it reveals a door.

There's a door back there!

Hey! Why does the bricks around the door change?

Knob

Music: Rainy Night
Yo, what's that smell, man? Somebody been paintin' in here?
Yeah... Dunning.
Huh? You tryin' to tell me ol' man Dunning paints? You're trippin', Hyde!
Dunning's the one who painted all the apples, Louie.
I think the fumes is gettin' to me. I thought you said Dunning painted apples.
You heard right. Now keep listening. Dunning's got a daughter he hasn't seen in years. Her name's Jenny.
Jenny?
That's the name of the girl who was kidnapped from Room 111 ten years ago.
Yeah, and it's the name what them apple painting letters spell out, too.
Yeah. But here's something I learned in the basement. Dunning knew Evans before he took over this hotel.
Wait... Evans? That's Mila's pops, yeah? You sure 'bout all this? Hard to believe Dunning and Mila's pops were pals.

I thought it was pretty obvious. I mean, why else would you leave your 9 year old daughter with another kid without anyone else's supervision? And specifically told to both wait together?

I'm sure. They knew each other, and they shared a secret they'd die before revealing.
That's a heavy secret, man. But you know it, yeah? C'mon, brother, lemme hear it.
You know the angel painting Bradley stole from Nile's warehouse? Dunning painted it.
WHAT?! You're crazy! That didn't make no drat sense!
Listen, Louie. The proof is in this room. I'm sure of it. Help me find it.

Right canvas There are all kinds of colors painted on the canvas.
Second-right canvas It's a long piece of canvas.
Middle canvas There's a landscape painted on the other side.
Right bucket There's paint in the bottom of the bucket.
Green/blue/yellow can There's green/blue/yellow paint in the can.
Red can There's not much red paint left.
Second-left canvas There's a date on the back of the painting.
Left canvas There's a painting leaning against the wall.
Left bucket The bucket's pretty dusty. Guess no one used it for a while.
Painting There's a painting of flowers on the wall.
Front canvas It's a huge sheet of canvas. One side of the canvas is covered in white paint.
This painting is...
Painting? Ya callin' this a painting? What is it, white cat in a snowstorm? I tell ya, man, I don't get this whole art thing.
(This paint is real thick... What's going on here?)

Even in the final chapter we're still finding new paintings.

Bottles in shelf An old bottle filled with paint. I didn't know paint came in bottles...
Box in shelf It's a cardboard box filled with paint.
Chair The wooden chair has paint on it.
Spray A spray bottle of turpentine. Better keep this out of my eyes.
Table This wooden table is all nicked up.
Palette This palette's been used a lot.
Palette knife There's a palette knife on the table.

Zoomed-in palette knife
Hey, look. It's a...whatever these things are called. Palette knife? Is that it?
You just mentioned it earlier.

Wood There's some wood on the table.
Bottles on table About half of the paint's been used.
Box on table It's a dirty box. Go figure.

Chair The chair's ripped and full of holes.
Back canvas There's a sketch of a woman on the back of the canvas.
Front canvas There's a charcoal drawing of a building on the back of the canvas.
Box The box holding the canvas is worn out.
Canvases in box It's a blank canvas.

It's not that hard figuring out what to do. The only canvas of interest is the one with its own stand that Kyle comments on. The painting of a white cat in a snowstorm.

Use palette knife on front canvas

Here goes nothing...
Yo, man, whatcha gonna do with that?

We're going to scrub it, of course! Please ignore the blue part that suddenly appear in the top right.

We just have to rub to get rid of the white paint. Sorry, kitty!

We're rich! :homebrew:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Osterzone sounds like some kind of Italian food.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
gently caress Bradley, sell the art

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

DariusLikewise posted:

gently caress Bradley, sell the art

What the hell are ya doin' here? Get out! Get out of my hotel before I kicked you out!
Okay. (I got the painting. I can pawn this off...)

The next day, Kyle sold the painting in the black market. He became rich and became Red Crown's main provider. He sent money to Louie and Rosa. Louie quit the job after getting the money to enjoy life, but Rosa still wanted to work at Hotel Dusk. Dunning, short on staffs, employed Jeff Angel who complained and somehow became an even worse bellboy than Louie. He received scolding everyday from both Rosa and Dunning.

The end.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Who'd have thunk a painting was under there? That's an angel, ain't it?
Sure is.
An angel...
You ever see this painting before, Louie?
Naw, man, didn't spend too much time in church as a kid, ya dig? Wait a minute...

No way! Yo, Hyde! Is...is that it?
One and the same, Louie. This is the angel painting Bradley stole from Nile.

But what... How... What's it doin' here?
It's like I said. THIS angel painting was created by Dunning.
Yeah, but... How ya expect me to believe that?

Who painted it doesn't important if you only care about practicality. You can just sell it.

Hey, Louie, you know the name of this painting?
Ain't it Angel Painting? That's what Danny always called it.
No offense to Danny, but it's called Angel Opening a Door.

To be fair, Grace also refered to the painting as that and she was a museum curator.

Angel Opening a Door? Sure, why not? If I gotta buy that ol' man Dunning painted, I can believe anything.
You're getting loopy on me, Louie. Now listen. The rest of the world thinks this was painted by a guy named Osterzone. Osterzone was an artist born in the nineteenth century. Or so the story goes. Couple dozen or so of his paintings were discovered forty years after he died. And then all the artsy types went gaga over 'em. Angel Opening a Door is supposed to have been his masterpiece.
So, wait. This Osterzone cat really did do an angel painting? And then Dunning, like, copied it?
This isn't a copy, Louie. This is the original.
The original? But...I... That can't be right. You said this painting is one'a Ostertoes.. Er... Oserman... Ozzie... Whatever!
Still don't get it?
Get WHAT?

...Oh, trip...
This is like findin' out your girl's your sister or somethin'. It's messed up.

Doesn't seem to bother :japan: much.

Three years back, my pal Danny got plugged over this painting! Thought he could sell it and get enough scratch for us to break outta the city. And...and here it is.

What a weird place to found the painting, huh? :v:

This blows my mind. ...Why?
WHY?! The HELL is it doing here?
Louie-
Don't Louie me, man! Tell me!
You want to know how it got here? I think Bradley returned it to the man who painted it.
What? Bradley RETURNED it? What's that supposed to mean?
I think Bradley knew the truth about Osterzone.
Aw, you're killin' me, Hyde.
He knew Osterzone was just a painter somebody made up.
Wait, but you said-
Look, Osterzone's story is that he was a painter who died before his work was valued. Truth is, no one ever heard of the guy at all. Not until somebody wrote a book about him. Thanks to the book, he went from nobody to somebody overnight. And his paintings started selling for a whole lot of dough.

Maybe I should try that sometime...

What kinda book is it?
It's called "Osterzone, the Phantom Painter." It was published in 1963. You know who wrote it? Robert Evans.
Robert Evans? That's Mila's pops, ain't it? But that means... OK. OK. I think I follow. So Mila's pops is part of this whole angel painting thing, too?

The thing I haven't figured out yet is why.

Why everyone wanted the angel?

Why did Evans and Dunning create Osterzone in the first place? And how did Bradley stumble into it?

Oh, and I suppose those too.

More mysteries? You know, I used to like mysteries. Not anymore, man. Ya got it figured out?

Music: Insomnia

Here's what I got so far. Evan's book on Osterzone came out sixteen years ago. Then Mila and her old man came here ten years ago.
Yeah, that's when the hotel closed up for a bit.
And the story about the girl going missing from the hotel? Ten years ago.
Oh! Oh! And that's when Mila went into a coma and got put in the hospital!
And it's when Mila's old man bought the hotel. A lot happened ten years back.
Wait, wait. Mila's pops used to own the Dusk?
Yeah. Robert Evans used to be the owner. But seven years ago, he suddenly closed up his art gallery and disappears. And then Dunning buys the hotel.
Hold it. Woodward said Mila's pops always came to see her in the hospital. And he only stopped comin' six months ago, yeah?

If you want even more dates: Helen meet Alan when Hotel Dusk first opened. 10 years later they meet again and Helen gave Alan the pen. Sometime later Martin stole Alan's manuscript and pen, then Alan disappeared. 19 Years ago there's a plane crash that killed both Iris' mother and Mila's mother. 5 Years ago Rosa started working in Hotel Dusk, around the same time Dunning reopened it. 2 Years ago Kevin got sued for malpractice, then Grace met up with Iris before going to Hotel Dusk. 6 months ago on Melissa's birthday (June 29th) Grace disappeared. On December 27th Jeff robbed his father's safe. Then he fled to Hotel Dusk after meeting Mila and seeing her brochure. The rest of the dates are either already mentioned or going to be mentioned.

It don't add up, man.
When did Dunning reopen the Dusk? Five years ago, right?
Yeah, and Bradley killed Danny three years ago. Then you went and shot Bradley right after.
...Yeah.

Music: Midnight

Hyde, I've got bad news. It's Bradley. He... He's on the take.

Music stops
Yo, Hyde. Can I ask you somethin'?
Sure.
Why'd you shoot Bradley? I mean, you guys were partners. And friends, too, yeah? You the kinda cat what hunts down a pal if you think he did you wrong? Just line him up and put him down? Cold, brother. Real cold.

Music: Violet Sky
...I don't know.
How don't you know?
I heard what he did. Heard he went rogue. ...I tore up the city looking for him. I finally caught up to him at the docks. I was mad as hell, Louie. I could barely see. I pulled my piece and yelled at him. Asked him why he did it...
So what'd he say?

There was a message there, but I couldn't read it. It was all too fast. Then he turned, and I thought he was going to make a run for it. I... My gun was out, and I... I pulled the trigger.

Whoa... Hey, um... Sorry I asked, ya know? But I get it, man. You didn't get to talk to him, never got to hear his side of things. That's why you're lookin' for him. Tryin' to make your final peace, yeah?
Enough about that. We need to focus on what's in front of us.
Yeah, man, sure.
When did Dunning reopen the Dusk? Five years ago, right?
Yeah, and Bradley killed Danny three years ago.
And then Bradley vanished with the angel painting. Which brings us to six months ago when he checked in here as Kyle Hyde.
Right... And that's when Mila's pops vanished. And Bradley came to town.
Yeah.
But man, none of this means squat!

Unless... Unless you got this all figured out.
Most of it. At least, I think so.
C'mon, Louie. We have to find Dunning and Mila. We talk to them? I got a hunch this'll all come together.
Whatever you say, Officer.

And NOW something will happen when we go to the not-so-hidden door. But before that let's look at our new items first.

Music: So Noted

A brief moment to appreciate the masterpiece that ruined people's lives before we go to the final room.

Huh?
What is it, man?
Check out the wall.
Huh?
There's a strange line running through it.

You're in a basement hidden with a whiskey-based puzzle. And you've seen a room hidden by a wall. Do you really don't know what this is?

It's a door, Louie. The wall's a door.
Aw, man! This is like that cartoon with the dog and the dude what's always hungry!

I don't get it.

Edit:

Mraagvpeine posted:

Pretty sure he's talking about Scooby-Doo and Shaggy. Also, a small typo.

:doh: I don't know why I didn't think of this. And Louie actually says what's instead of that's. His grammar isn't the best.

*The door unlocks, then opens*

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 22, 2018

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

1234567890num posted:

It's a door, Louie. The wall's a door.
Aw, man! This is like that cartoon with the dog and the dude what's always hungry!

I don't get it.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Mraagvpeine posted:

:doh: I'm an idiot for not thinking of this.

Oh, and also that's what Louie actually says. His grammar isn't the best.

1234567890num fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jul 17, 2018

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Cue Drunken Waltz? :v:

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

quote:

Who painted it doesn't important if you only care about practicality. You can just sell it.

:irony:

quote:

Why did Evans and Dunning create Osterzone in the first place?

For money!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Gloomy Rube posted:

Cue Drunken Waltz? :v:

Drunken Waltz should always be playing in the back of your mind whenever Dunning is onscreen.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

From the looks of things, he's going to play blackjack with you *to the death*

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You're mistaking Dunning for Seto Kaiba.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Music: On the Rocks
Mila!
Hey, good-looking! Am I ever glad to see you safe'n sound!
You all right?
Got yourself quite a series of hideouts, Dunning. You make 'em all yourself?
Nope.
Yeah? Then who did? And why?
None'a yer business!
Time to come clean. You're going to tell me everything you know.

Start talking!
All right, I hear ya.
But just the two'a us! I am to talk at ya alone!
Louie, take Mila upstairs.
Don't ask me twice!
C'mon, Mila, Rosa's waitin' in the wine cellar. Let's go see her.
...No.

Louie, please.

Stop playing the fool, Louie. Get her out of here.
Yeah, yeah, I hear ya.
Let's go, Mila.
No. I'm staying here. I need to hear what he says.
Aw, c'mon, Mila!
No! I need to hear it!

Fine. You can both stay.
Ya tellin' me I gotta talk in front of the girl? And DeNonno? Ain't happenin'! No, sir! It ain't necessary, and it ain't gonna happen!
It might not be necessary for you, but it is for them.
What're ya talkin' about?
Mila's the daughter of your former partner. Mila came here to find him. To find her father. And the info rattling around in your head is the only lead she's got.

And Louie here...
You hit me, didn't ya? You lousy, no-good, tightfisted backbreaking old coot! WAs you tryin' to KILL me? Hell, you coulda just fired me! I woulda walked away!
'Course I wasn't tryin' to kill ya! Don't be daft!
Louie drifted out to the West Coast three years back. You know why he left the city? Because his childhood friend Danny was murdered.
Murdered?
Let me lay it out for you. Danny was killed trying to steal a painting. It was in a warehouse run by a crime syndicate called Nile. A painting of an angel.
...What?
Think you're surprised? I'm the one who just found the thing in the drat basement!
What do you say? You going to share your story with us?

Music: Resolution

It's 'cause... 'Cause I wanted her to see the place.
Why?
...Well.

What do you mean?

You talked to him here.

The last place you spoke? What did you chat about?
Now look, that ain't-
About Osterzone?
No!

I found your secret room. I know what's in there. I found Angel Opening a Door.
Ya found... Ya found it, did ya?
Yeah. Why is it here?
Persistent, ain't ya?

I think I know who left it here.

It was Bradley.

It was the other Kyle Hyde. Wasn't it?
Hey! Who told ya that?
You did. Just now.
Hmph. So ya know the guy or somethin'?
Yeah. The guy who stayed here six months ago was my partner. My friend. He's the ghost I've been chasing for three years.
Partner? Didn't know that door-t'door salesmen had partners!
Yo, Mr. Smith? Lemme introduce... Uh... Officer Kyle Hyde. Until three years ago, he was a detective with NYPD.
Ah, crap.
My partner's name is Brian Bradley. Three years ago, he was investigating a crime syndicate called Nile. But he decided to steal your angel painting and slip town. Hasn't been seen since.
Nile, huh? Well, I'll be damned.

I found an old letter in the cellar lockbox.
I see.
Read it, didja?
Yeah. Then I used your little code machine and-
Real smart guy, ain't ya, Hyde? So smart ya can't keep yer nose outta my business! Well, lemme guess...
No need. I'll tell you. I know the secret you and Evans were hiding.
Oh.

Music: Secrets

I told you everything about the night Jenny got taken away! Everything...
So you have to tell me where he is! You have to!

You know where Evans is, don't you?

I remember when Papa and I came here ten years ago. We ate dinner, and then he said he had some business to take care of. He told me he was going to meet a friend. And that I should play with Jenny until he got back.

But he never came back. We were tired and sleepy. And we...we both fell asleep. Then the man... The door opened, and there was a scary man.
He grabbed Jenny and tried to take her. Jenny started screaming. Screaming and crying. She was crying so hard.
I...I thought she was going to die... So I yelled at the man! I ran to him and told him to stop, and... Then I was flying...

I'm sorry, Mila.
Ah, Jenny...
You know what happened then, Mr. Smith? Mila was in a coma. Spent the next ten years layin' in some hospital bed. Then six months ago, she wakes up and starts looking for her pops.
...drat.
Are you mad at me? Are you mad that I couldn't stop those men? The ones who took Jenny? Is that why you won't tell me where my papa is?
No, girl, that wasn't it.
I was just...I don't know where Evans is. That's why I'm here. It's all I can do. Just sittin' and waitin' to hear from Evans. Waitin' for my Jenny t'come home.

New Music: Limits of Doubt (Actually the usual On the Rocks plays here, but this music isn't used anywhere in the game, so there it is.)

What did you and Evans discuss?

You and Evans talked about Jenny after that night, right? Fill me in.
I asked him why Jenny was taken. He said... Said it was 'cause I wouldn't paint no more. Said if I'd just pick up the brush, Jenny'd be reunited.
Kidnapping is a rough business. I bet I know who organized it...

Evans wouldn't organize a kidnapping in a way that would traumatize his daughter.

It was Nile.

It was Nile.
Likely as not. Leastwise, that's what Evans said. Told me these Nile fellas knew the truth 'bout Osterzone. Said they wanted me to do more paintin'.

And that's why they took m'Jenny away.

Why'd you stop painting?

Why did you tell Evans you weren't going to paint anymore?
'Cause I was tired! More popular Osterzone got, the lousier I felt. Evans's plan was movin' ahead without a hitch, but... To really make it stick, I had to bury my own work. Bury who I was...
People loved my paintin'! Collectors wanted 'em! But all the praise, all the glory... Osterzone got it. Not me. Couldn't take it no more.

What did Bradley say?

What did Bradley tell you?
Night he stayed here, your pal invited me to have a drink with him. Well, one turned into a whole bunch, and soon I wasn't feelin' no pain... That's when Bradley stops chattin' 'bout this n' that and asks if I knew Evans.
Some stranger asking you about Evans? I bet I know what you told him...

I would've answered "kicked him out", but that's not an option.

You lied.

You're smart. You lied to him, right?
Yep.
No way I was gonna tell some mystery man I knew Evans. So this Bradley fella got real quiet-like and stared at his glass for a bit. ...Then he looked up and stared me square'n the eye. Told me he was being chased by Nile. Said they was after him 'cause he knew Evans's secret.

What is Evans's secret?

What was Evans's secret?
This is what yer pal told me, so ya might want to take it with a grain'a salt. He said Evans actually chose to work with Nile. 'Cept they knew him as Norman.
Norman?
That's what he said. Said Evans was in deep with Nile. Said he chose t'stay there.

Is Evans going to contact you?

Hell, I dunno. Three years after I lost m'Jenny, I... I hit rock bottom.
I was sad and pissed off. Told him I knew Jenny ain't never comin' home. Took a knife to the paintings I was workin' on and slashed 'em to ribbons. I was even thinkin' 'bout breakin' m'hand so I couldn't paint no more.
Well, Evans saw how crazy I was.
He talked me back from the edge. Said he'd take care of everythin'. Promised me he'd get m'Jenny back. Said I should just sit tight and wait here. And that he'd contact me soon as everythin' was square. Then he turned'n walked off the face of the earth.
Would a guy like that mention his own daughter? Let me take a guess...

Nope. Dunning didn't know about Mila's fate after that.

He didn't say a thing.

Evans never told you what happened to her, did he?
Sure didn't.
That night ten years ago, we had a couple'a drinks and talked about what was what. When we went t'get the girls, Mila was on the floor, and... Jenny was gone.
Evans grabbed mila and raced her to the hospital, and I... I thundered 'round like a madman looking for my little girl. Next mornin', Evans came back from the hospital. When I asked Evans 'bout Mila, he told me it was nothin' and she was fine.

Why'd he keep Mila a secret?

Why didn't Evans tell you about Mila?
I dunno. Ain't got a clue...

Music stops

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

"But first, you want to play matchsticks?"

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

1234567890num posted:

Yo, Mr. Smith? Lemme introduce... Uh... Officer Kyle Hyde. Until three years ago, he was a detective with NYPD.
Ah, crap.

:allears:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

New Music: Dead Stare
All right, Mr. Hyde... I'm done tryin' to hide all'a this.
I'm gonna tell ya everythin'. Tell ya how Evans'n me got started... Why they took m'Jenny... Why Evans disappeared seven years ago... And... I'll tell ya 'bout the other Kyle Hyde I met six months back. Yer pal Bradley. I'll tell ya everythin' he told me, everythin' I know.
All right. You talk. I'll listen.
Ya want me to get into this in front of Mila? She might not like it.
Her call.

I want to hear it. If it's about Papa, I want to hear it all.
Might be hard.
I... I'm just like you.
Just like me?
When I told you about Jenny... You wanted to know everything, didn't you? What she said, how she... How she cried. You asked me over and over.
...Mila.
I...I understand. I understand why you kept asking me to repeat things. I was talking about Jenny. You wanted to hear it all, no matter how terrible it was. You wanted to be close to her, and that was the only way. That's how I feel, too. I want to know everything about Papa. I don't care what it is, I just want to know.
I think that settles it. Start talking.

My commentary this update will minimal.

New Music: Dead Stare

We was what ya call reunited by tragedy. There was a plane crash in Las Vegas in 1960. Two'a the women who died on that plane left behind little girls. One was Jenny's mom. M'wife. The other was married to Evans. That's yer mom, Mila.

He and I'd been at the same college, studyin' art and hopin' to be painters. And then five years later, we're new widowers in the Nevada desert. Took different paths after graduation, ya see? Evans followed in his father's footsteps and took over the family art gallery. And me? Thought I was pretty big news, and I tried t'make a livin' as a painter. But no one gave a rat's rear end for m'work. Bradley had no quarters to rub together.

Then Evans said he thought I was a good artist. 'Bout near knocked me out my chair. Then he went on praisin' me and tellin' me how great I was. 'Course, I swallowed it all... He told me somethin' else, too. Said he'd given up on bein' a painter 'cause he knew I was better'n him. Then he looked me square in the eye and told me he'd see me famous or die tryin'. 'Bout a year later, Evans comes up with this crazy idea... Said he wanted to prove he had an eye for art. Told me it was my chance to prove m'self, too. Yer a great painter, he said, and history'll prove me right. It sounds silly now, but... He was so sure of himself. Got me all worked up, too. We just wanted t'show the world what for, ya know? Couple'a drat fools... Well, we spent the next three years thinkin' up all the details. And between the two'a us, we created Marcel Osterzone out of thin air.

Then I painted up 'bout a couple dozen pieces or so that we could say were his. My job was t'just stay outta sight and paint till my hand cramped.

He also wrote up a book 'bout how he discovered Osterzone.
The one I found in the basement?
Yup. It introduced the world to the mystery painter that died too young. In less time'n it takes t'change a lightbulb, his works took off. Collectors started buyin' up the stuff and payin' a fortune for it, too. Evans'n me were just happy as pigs in filth. Art world loved Osterzone. And loved his paintings. I just kept paintin' and paintin' as much as I could. And Evans sold every last one of 'em for more money than I ever imagined. But...
'Bout that time, Evans and me stopped seein' eye t'eye.
Evans liked our scam. He liked pullin' the wool over people. He started lookin' for other ways t'fleece people, and started gettin' good at it. But me?

I couldn't take hidin' in the shadow of a painter I created. It was too much. After a while, I just lost m'talent. I couldn't paint no more. ...That's what led to the worst day of my life.

Music: Insomnia
Evans invited me to the hotel, so I threw Jenny in the car'n came on over. Evans brought Mila, and... Our girls started playin' together right away. Kids were cuter'n anythin'.

We hadn't had a relaxin' night in a while. We just shot the breeze had a couple'a drinks... Nothing outta the ordinary. Then Evans said he wanted t'show me somethin'. So he brought me down here.
We were standin' right about here... Evans told me he bought the hotel and built this room just for me. Wanted me t'hide down here and just keep paintin'. "Yer a genius," he says to me. "You'll be paintin' again 'fore ya know it! Ya wanna give Jenny the good life, don't ya? All ya gotta do is turn into Osterzone again and paint. You'll have enough scratch t'give Jenny whatever she wants. Make her happy."
No! That's not true! That wouldn't make anyone happy!
Why would Papa say that?
Man didn't have a choice, girl. He had t'say that to me. It was all he could do.
What do you mean?
Any fool could see Evans wasn't behind this hotel. Had to be someone else.

And one group'a crooks called Nile had their claws sunk into him but good. All ya had t'do was take a look at this room. Evans don't make all this for a mope like me. This was a place for crooks t'do all their dirty business. I didn't talk much at first. Just let Evans say his piece. But then I told'm no. Told'm that I wasn't gonna paint no more. So then, they...
They took her, Mr. Hyde. The drat bastards took m'baby girl.
They took Jenny.

New Music: Amber Sunset
Aw, dammit... ...Anyway, Evans sat me down and told it straight. "Become Osterzone," he says. "Just paint. Do that'n Jenny'll come back to ya." The hell else could I do? I moved down here and started paintin'. And Osterzone was back.
But I didn't care 'bout fame or money, or nothing. I just wanted m'girl back. But... She didn't come back. No, sir.
So I kept paintin' for three years, thinkin' they'd keep their word. But one day I had enough. Told 'em all to go t'hell. That's when Evans sent me that letter ya saw. I can tell ya the drat thing word for word. "This is yer last job. Finish it and yer free. I won't ask nothing further of ya. However, our secret must never be revealed. Keep slinet'n I promise that Jenny'll one day be returned to ya. Go back to the Dusk. Be patient." He sent me the deed to this hotel with his letter.
I tried to track'm down, but... Like I said earlier, I ain't no detective. Gallery was all closed up, and I didn't know where else t'look.
Papa... Where did you go?
I didn't have no idea how to start lookin' for him... So I just decided t'stay and wait 'er out. I made a promise to m'self, ya understand? I was gonna wait here for m'Jenny, and if I died waitin', so much the better. So five years back, I opened the Dusk back up again. But no one wanted t'stay here. People heard stories 'bout the night Jenny was taken and... Well, it kept 'em away. So I made up that load'a crap 'bout the wish room and told a buncha newspapers. Then I tried t'run the place. ...Guess ya can tell I ain't much of a people person.
Did you hear from Evans?
Naw. Not a peep. But a couple'a years back I got a visit from a gal who used t'work in his gallery.

I asked if I could help her, and outta the blue she said she knew I was Osterzone. Also said she knew Evans forced me t'do all the paintings. Then she threatened me. Said she'd reveal m'secret 'less I painted one for her. Thought she might know where Evans had gotten off to, so I did it. I gave her the paintin', but never heard from her again. Nothin' from Evans, neither.
That's interesting.
Yep. Oh, and then... Six months ago? That other fella showed up. The one with yer name. Got some news 'bout Evans from him.

Bradley. What did he tell you?
Don't quite know what t'make of it. I liked'm well enough, so we had a drink.

Then he told me he knew all about Osterzone. This fella knew everythin', and he just kept talkin'. Said he knew we'd created him, and that he knew I'd been paintin'.
Didn't think I should say nothin', so I just sat and listened. After a bit, he quit talkin' and just swirled his ice around. I figured he was done and made t'leave, but then he said somethin' real quiet... Told me he made a deal with one'a Nile's men. ...A man named Norman.
What kind of deal?
He said they had his sister. Said they were holdin' her hostage. That was the deal that Norman...er...Evans wanted t'make. He wanted yer pal to tell'm everythin' the cops knew in exchange for his sister.
WHAT?! No, I refuse to-
Hold on, Mr. Hyde! I ain't done yet! Yer pal told me he made the deal. Said he betrayed his friends. But when he went t'find his sister... She was already dead.
Mila. Oh, no...
He's holdin' his sister's dead body, watchin' the steam rise, when he hears a voice. "Ya can't change anything. Ya sold out yer people, and ya can't take it back. Yer sister's dead, and ya don't leave any family left. Ya got nothin' left. Come'n work for me. That's the only road open for a man like you."

I have to say, what the gently caress is Evans' plan here? He coerced Bradley to work for him, and then he betrayed him. And after that he still expects Bradley to just work for him? What? :confused:

I tell ya the sound of that voice... He's a wounded man, Mr. Hyde. So then yer pal finished his story and his drink, but he never raised his eyes. And I asked him what he done next. He kept lookin' at his glass, but I could tell he was seein' somethin' else. "I accepted his offer," he told me. "I knew it was the only way to avenge my sister. The only way t'make Evans pay."
Bradley...
When he finally looked at me, his eyes were hard as any I ever seen.

Music stops

Next mornin', he checked out. Left me quite a goin'-away present, though... The paintin' that had been hangin' above the bed in 217 had been taken down. And hangin' there was Angel Openin' a Door. He left a photograph and a key on the bed. Photo was the same one ya found. Evans always carried that photo with him. And this here's the key.

What's it for?
No clue. Key's a mystery I I ain't solved. (Sic) But once I saw the paintin' and the photo, I knew one thing. I knew everythin' he told me was true. Was a tough pill to swallow, ya know? Evans workin' for Nile. Never believed things coulda got that messed up. I took Angel Openin' a Door off the wall and carried 'er down to the basement. Then I covered the drat thing with a coat'a white paint. I just wanted to forget everythin' I knew 'bout Mr. Robert Evans. That's why I locked up 217 and didn't let no one stay there anymore.

...And that's it, Mr. Hyde. Everythin' I know. Every last bit. When you showed up clamin' the same handle as that man... I got to thinkin' somethin' bad was gonna happen. That's why I was so nervous. Something bad... Ha! Go ahead'n laugh. I'm nothin' but a drat fool. This place and its secrets draws bad things like flies to honey. But I'm still here. Still doin' what I can to protect that secret. Waiting's 'bout all I can do anymore.

New Music: Endless Road

I got it, Ed. I finally got it...

I told Ed everything that Dunning said. I told him about Evans, and Jenny, and Mila... And Bradley. Ed didn't say a word the whole time. But I knew he was listening.

So that's it, huh?
Now I know! He had a reason for selling us out! He's alive, Ed! Bradley is alive. And he was here six months ago. It's funny... He left all these little clues all around the hotel... Almost like he knew I'd be coming.
Actually, Hyde... I think you hit the nail on the head. I just got off the horn with the guy who wanted the red box and the magazine. He settled the bill, but said he didn't care about getting the items back.
Ed, wait. That means... Those items were just...
Listen, Hyde. Lie down. Get some rest. You need to clear your head. I'll call you tomorrow.

I tried using the key to open the small red box.

I read the letter, my eyes poring over each word.

Six months ago, I heard that you turned in your badge and left Manhattan.

(...Bradley.)

I figured it was my chance, so I arranged for you to be here. You know why I did it, don't you, partner? Because I know you. Because I knew you'd solve all the riddles hidden in this dump of a hotel. I knew you'd discover what happened here, and what happened to me. You're a drat bulldog, Hyde. I knew you wouldn't let it go. I had to believe that. Three years ago, I betrayed you. I put your finger on that trigger, and I made you pull it. You know, Hyde, I can still hear your voice. Asking me why... You have any idea how angry you sounded? Of course, you always were the crazy one. But every time I hear it in my head... I see Mila. I see the way Evans killed my baby sister. And I remember the day six months ago when I took my revenge.

And so I'm on the run now. Nile wants me dead. Cops want me dead. Some life, huh, partner? Stop looking for me, Kyle. My way is a dead-end street. Let me go. I'm a ghost now. -Bradley

(Bradley...)

(He stood by her bed and watched her sleep, thinking all the while of HIS Mila.)

(Tell me somethin, Bradley...)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Evans did everything wrong.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

This is a lot more hosed up than I remember it being.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
So that's why he was so eager to kick us out of the hotel? :psyduck:

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
Well poo poo. I totally forgot that Evans was the one who killed Bradley's sister, and that Bradley killed him.

Now here's the interesting thing: What would this night have been like for Hyde if he had been the only person staying at the Dusk? No Mila or Jeff or Martin or anybody. Would he have ever gotten this far?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Given all the endings where he just locks himself in his room and stays there for twelve hours, I kind of doubt it.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Probably would have played out like Trace Memories or whatever that game on the island is called, or Gone Home.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kyle and D solving mysteries. :allears:

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

tomanton posted:

So that's why he was so eager to kick us out of the hotel? :psyduck:

Yup. Pretty much. Except for that one where we end up drinking with him the whole night instead.

Truthkeeper posted:

Well poo poo. I totally forgot that Evans was the one who killed Bradley's sister, and that Bradley killed him.

Now here's the interesting thing: What would this night have been like for Hyde if he had been the only person staying at the Dusk? No Mila or Jeff or Martin or anybody. Would he have ever gotten this far?

Probably. This is how it's probably going to go:
1. Confront Louie. Nothing changes since Kyle got all his information from Ed.
2. Investigate Dunning's Office to get the small red box, find out about Room 217 and Jenny in there.
3. Investigate Room 217 and Dunning's Room with Louie's help.
4. Play bowling, obtain the key to the Wine Cellar. Or find a way to go to the wine cellar because of the clue about the hidden passage in it from Dunning's Room.
5. Go to the basement. Do everything in Chapter 10.
6. Confront Dunning and eventually go "Who the gently caress is Osterzone and Robert Evans?"

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Music: Same as previous updates (Sapu)

It's time for the final alternate update.

There's not much difference, to be honest.

The scene will happen when examining anything in the Basement except the machine, cable, note, or the trivia book. The "timer" won't start until we trigger this scene.

I found it amusing that Kyle has time to read a trivia book in a life-or-death situation. And that it ends up saving his life (through the power of event flags).

Kyle won't "sharpen" his pencil until we examine the trivia book and the cable.

We can just brute force the code, actually. Or we can just put 518 since this one isn't randomized.

The note also says 18 in this timeline. Huh.

We don't actually have to get the letter or read the note to progress the game. The game will continue as if Kyle has read the letter.

After Louie came, we don't have to read the guest register, but we still need to pick up the hammer to break the wall.

In the next room, we just have to pick up the palette knife and scrape the snowstorm and the cat in it.

After we exit the Basement, we can explore outside. After we scrape the painting is the last time we can go outside. As soon as we meet Dunning, we won't be able to go outside anymore. So if you want to play the jukebox, now's the time. Between Chapter 6 and now, you'll probably have unlocked only Bright Crystal and The Last Sleep.

You killed him here!

The last place... Hold on...
Did you kill him? Here?

I'm not a killer! Don't matter what he did! No way in hell I'm gonna kill a man...
I'm going to ask you once more, and then I'm going to get mad.

Loop and skip.

It was Robert Evans.

It was Robert Evans.

I ain't seen Evans in a dog's age.
Keep going.

Loop and skip. But I'm going to point out this bit:

Pictured: Dunning's reaction to being told that Kyle was a cop. Also pictured: player's reactions when hearing Drunken Waltz.

Remember Martin's special reactions during his confrontation? Well, Dunning is the only other one with them. And there's plenty of it.

Read note
Whatcha lookin' at?
Write note
Knock it off! Whatcha writin'?
Show pager
Ya got yerself some fancy doohickey. Congrats. Put it away and pipe down!
Show room 215 key
Keep it till yer ready to check out.
Show hotel brochure
I don't need t'see that! I own the drat place!
Show men's magazine
Put that away, will ya? Mila's stanidn' right there!
Mila doesn't show any reaction to it, so I don't see what's the problem here. :v:
Show cash
Put yer cash away, Mr. Hyde. I don't need charity.
Show old photo

Show potato chips
If I wanted yer chips, I woulda taken' em while ya was knocked out.
Put 'em away and pay attention!
Show chocolate bar
This ain't the time for chocolate, Mr. Hyde.
Ya gonna stop screwin' around and listen t'what I have to say, or what?
Show NougaChew!
Look, pal, I ain't hungry, OK?
Ya wanna hear what I have to say or not?
Show candy
No thanks. Ain't got much of an appetite right now.
Now put that away and listen, will ya?
Show crowbar
Why ya carryin' that around?
Ya threatenin' me, pal?
Show room 217 key
What the hell ya doin' with that?
Show lipstick
Listen good, Mr. Hyde, I don't wear makeup. Never have, never will.
I thought you want to be ;-*
Show article on Osterzone
More popular Osterzone got, more depressed I got. Them were MY paintings!
Show book on Osterzone
Evans wrote that book. That's where it all started.
Show photo of Dunning
Aw, drat... That's her. That's Jenny. ...That's m'little girl!
Show letter from Evans
That's the last letter Evans sent me. Haven't heard from him since.

Wow, that's a lot. Shame that Martin and Dunning are the only two to have the special responses.

What did you and Evans discuss?

Read: Who organized the kidnapping?

It was Evans himself.

It was Evans, wasn't it?

Evans wouldn't do something like that. Didn't have it in him.

What did Bradley say?

Read: What did Dunning say?

Like I would've loved if "kicked him out" is an option. I guess kicking someone out just apply to Kyle since Dunning really wants to get rid of him. Why didn't he just do that the first time Kyle went into his room?

You told him the truth.

I bet you told him the truth.

Told him I ain't never heard'a any Robert Evans!

Read: Did Evans tell you about Mila?

He told you about her.

Did Evans tell you what happened to her?

Evans never brought it up.

Music: Countdown
Mr. Hyde? I can't.
What?
Thought I could tell ya everythin', but...
Wait a minute! Just...wait, I'm so close! Don't do this! Not now, dammit!
Sorry, I don't think it's gonna work out. Something just ain't right.
I got nothin' else t'say.
No! Dunning, wait! Wait...

Music: Sunset Men
I went back to Room 215.

Dammit! I was so drat close!

I spent the rest of the night sitting in my room...listening to the world slip away.

Dunning: 8
Rosa: 7
Jeff: 7
Louie: 6
Martin: 4
Iris: 3
Melissa: 2
Helen: 2
Kevin: 1

And there's our final Game Over. Congratulations to Dunning for managing to be the biggest cause of Game Over! :tipshat: And congratulations Jeff for matching your score with the hotel staffs even with your much smaller screen time! :confuoot:

Music: Sapu

Then Bradley must've tried to play a trick on you by asking you to get a men's magazine. I mean, if you want to disguise the importance of the box by adding another item, men's magazine is a strange choice.

Let's assume worst case scenario: Only Dunning, Rosa and Louie are here. This is probably what's going to happen:
1. Confront Louie. Nothing changes since Kyle got all his information from Ed.
2. Investigate Dunning's Office to get the small red box, find out about Room 217 and Jenny in there.
3. Investigate Room 217 and Dunning's Room with Louie's help.
4. Play bowling, obtain the key to the Wine Cellar. Or find a way to go to the wine cellar because of the clue about the hidden passage in it from Dunning's Room.
5. Go to the basement. Do everything in Chapter 10.
6. Confront Dunning and eventually go "Who the gently caress is Osterzone and Robert Evans?"

And number 6 could lead to the earlier Game Over. If Bradley actually conspired with Grace to bring Iris here, both would be solved (assuming Kyle would bother learning what "the man who painted the angel" means). And it would actually make Bradley telling Kyle to get the magazine make sense since Iris is (most likely) the one on the cover.

Anyway, that's it for the alternate timeline updates. Next time: The final update.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

So uh, kyle, you going to mention the whole bit where a missing woman's sister was asked to bring dunning a tape? No? Ok.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I hope Melissa will see her mother again sometime.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

...Whaza?

Music: Endless Road

You awake, handsome?
Yeah, yeah, I'm up. ...Hey, is Ed there?
No, not yet. I'm here all by myself.
Rachel, I got a lead on Bradley. He was here six months ago. Here, in this hotel.
Really? That's good news, right? Kyle, are you all right? You sound exhausted.
Only 'cause I am.
Kyle...
Just need a break. That's all.
You? Time off? If it ever happened, it would probably do you some good.

Rachel: I mean, it's not like you're a good salesman. I heard that you just used both of the items for free even though there's perfect opportunities to sell them?

You got any vacation time coming?
That's sweet, but don't put yourself out on my account. I can tell you need some alone time.
...Can't fool you, huh?
Remember when I said I didn't understand you? That was a lie. I think I understand you better than anyone.
I'll let Ed know you'll be out for a while.
All right, but... Ed's gonna kill me, isn't he?
Oh, probably! You know Ed! He'll huff and puff and slam doors and all that nonsense. Probably tell me to get you on the horn, pronto!
Sounds like Ed.
Just make sure you come back. OK, Kyle? I'll be waiting for you.
Thanks, Rach.

Dammit, Hyde. Shoulda just asked her to come.

And that's the final phone call in NG+. In NG it goes differently.

NG Final Phone Call posted:

Wha...

So what's the good word? Hee hee! Isn't that what Ed always says?
Yeah, that's it. Is he there?
Not yet, sweetie. I'm here all by my lonesome.
Give him a message for me. Tell him I'm gonna take some time off.
Wait, time off? YOU?
Yeah. Gonna hit the open road for a couple of weeks. ...See where it takes me.
Kyle... Did you find Bradley? Is that it?
...No. No, nothing like that. I just... I need a vacation.
OK, hon!
I'll let the big man know.
Ed's gonna kill me, isn't he?
Oh, probably! You know Ed! He'll huff and puff and slam doors and all that nonsense. Probably tell me to get you on the horn, pronto!
Sounds like Ed.
Just make sure you come back. OK, Kyle? I'll be waiting for you.
Thanks.

OK, Hyde. Time to hit the road.

It's significantly shorter.

*knock*

Music: Monochrome

At least he knocked this time.

Oh. It's you.
Look, do you... Do you have a minute?
What is it?
I wanted to...to apologize. You know?
You?
Yeah. I caused you a lot of trouble. I know that. And...I'm sorry.
Don't worry. Long as you mean it, we're square. So what's the plan, Angel? You heading back to Beverly Hills?
No, not yet. First I'm going to the police.
Talking to the Man, huh? You're turning yourself in?
Something like that.
You sure? It's going to be one hell of a hassle.

That's a huge understatement, considering the amount of money stolen.

Yeah, I know. But I did this, and I need to take responsibility for it.
Spoken like a man.
Oh, wait. Here. This is for you.

You wrote me a letter?
No, not me. I ran into that guy Summer in front of his room. I said I was coming to see you, and he asked me to deliver this. Guy wouldn't shut up, either.
Yeah, that's Summer.
Anyway, maybe I'll see you around.

Jeff wanders down the hall and out of sight.

Bye Jeff! Don't do anything stupid while in prison! :wave:

Guess I'll read Summer's letter. ...Hope it doesn't put me to sleep. Dear Mr. Hyde. I met Mrs. Parker and spoke at length with her about Alan. What a charming woman! At any rate, I have made her a promise. A promise to find Alan.

I will pen a best seller, and it will be mine and mine alone! And I have decided to model my protagonist after yourself!

An insurance investigator?

When my novel is finished, you will be the first person to whom I show it.
Farewell, good sir! May the winds of fortune be always at your back!
Oh. ...Joy.

Good luck! Hope your book is good enough for Rosa! :byewhore:

As we go down the corridor...

Huh?

Are you leaving?
Yeah.
Thank you so much for your kindness of last night. I had a wonderful time.
You're not a bad drinking buddy yourself.

Will you be coming back this way again, Mr. Hyde?
Maybe. Who knows? You?
Oh, most definitely. And next time I will stay in the wish room! My wish will be granted, Mr. Hyde. I'm sure of it!

Better hope you didn't come minutes too late. Now that I think of it, does Dunning let guests reserve rooms?

I hope so.
Thank you.
Well, I'd better get going. Got a lot of miles to make.
Take care, dear.
You too.

*Helen goes back into her room*

Bye Helen! Funny how you didn't mention Martin's name at all during all this. She's probably all :fuckoff: inside, which is why Martin got out earlier than everyone else.

For some reason in my other playthrough Helen doesn't appear here. It's probably because I didn't escort her? :iiam:

Music: Big Dreams

Iris is the only one whose conversation you won't trigger automatically. You have to go out of your way to the roof. It's nice that they bothered to put 3 sets of background in the roof (sunset, night, day).

Mr. Hyde...
Nice morning, isn't it?
Yes, it is. It's a bit chilly, but it feels good in a way.
You talk to Kevin?
Mmm-hmm.
I told him I was Grace's sister. I also talked about our childhood and how we were raised.
How'd he take it?
I think he understands. I think he can see how important family is to Grace. That's why she did what she did to raise that money.
You talk about the tape?
...No. Grace gave it to me for a reason. ...And not to him. I didn't feel right bringing it up.
Makes sense.

Kyle? Are you going to brought up what "the one who paints the Angel" means? Or at least assure her that she unknowingly succeeds in her mission? No? Okay.

Are you leaving?
Yeah.
Yes, me too. I've got a photo shoot tomorrow.
Good luck with that.
Say, Mr. Hyde... Grace will come home, won't she?
What do you think?
I think she will.
No... I know she will.
Well, there you go.

Nice dodge.

Yes. Well...
Good-bye, Mr. Hyde.

How did Dunning know that Iris has a tape ? And that it was addressed to him? Did Grace sent him a letter, too? We never saw it if she did. And he doesn't do anything beside listen to it. :shrug:

Music: Big Dreams
Iris leaves. We did the same. We meet 2 more guests after going down the stairs.

Hiya, mister!
Nice morning, huh? You finally get some sleep?
Uh-huh.
When I woke up, my dad was sitting next to me. And he told me good morning right away!
Sounds nice.
Yeah, and today we're gonna drive to the beach! And then we're finally gonna go home! Yaaaay!
That so?
Oh! And my dad told me a secret!
You want to tell me?
...He said that my mom loves me. And that's why she's gonna come home someday.

Melissa!

Daddy!

Mornin'.
We're all checked out, sweetheart.
Tell Mr. Hyde thank you for being so nice to you.
Don't worry about it.
I'm glad I had the chance to talk to you, Mr. Hyde. I really am.
Let's go, Melissa.
OK!

:gbsmith:

And that's all the guests. Before we continue to the staffs (and Mila), let's deal with the mysterious message from the mysterious tape.

"A memento in a room of love." The room of love is referring to the room with love as the name, which means Room 220. It's also the only room we haven't been to.

(Something nostalgic in Room 220, huh? Guess I'd better take a look.)

Could that be... Nostalgic, huh?

So this was important to Mila, huh?
...Mila.

And our final room is...weird. I mean, 2 beds next to each other with one of them not having any pillow, 2 lamps next to each other, 2 TVs stacked together and most importantly, no painting. Yep, definitely hasn't been used.
Fun fact: We can't examine anything anymore, so we can't examine this room.
With the sidequest done, let's continue on to the Lobby.

"Top o' the mornin'"? Hey, DeNonno, you're Italian, remember?
To the bone, paisan! So what's the deal? Why ya carrying your suitcase? Don't tell me you're hitting the road already!
I am.
What? Aw, c'mon, Hyde, ya can't be serious. What now? Cat stuck in a tree somewheres? Grandma Patch need help crossin' a road?
You're hilarious, Louie. And I'm done helping people. I'm taking a vacation. Maybe get some sun. Find a nice beach somewhere and relax.
You? Relaxin'? World's gone crazy! But yeah, that sounds good to me, too.
So... How's Mila?
Aw, she's in Rosa's room. Heard she didn't sleep tog good last night.

Finding out that your father has been murdered tends to do that to people.

All the stuff what she's learned since comin' here? Must be rough, yeah?
Yeah.
Yeah, but I bet she'd like to see you, man. Best to stop by before you leave, ya dig?
I might.

Spoiler: We won't be able to end the game without going to Rosa's room.

Huh? That's Mila's voice.

...But, Rosa!

You can stay here as long as you want, Mila honey! There's no need to feel guilty about anything, and for a fact! You're not alone anymore, sweetheart. Louis and I are here for you. Hmm? Mr. Hyde? Well, no, he doesn't work here. He can't stay with you.

And if we try to go inside...

(I'd better just go...)

:sadwave:

How's Mila doin'? Ya get a chance to talk to her? Did she mention me?

Well, Rosa mentioned you. Mila just said 2 words.

I didn't see her.
Why not, man?
It's better this way. Listen, Louie, I want you to take care of Mila.
What're you talkin' 'bout? Me and Mama Sass got everything covered. I bet even ol' man Dunning will lend a hand. Don't worry 'bout a thing.
So, uh, Hyde? You think Nile's still after me?
I think you're in the clear, pal. I think Nile's going to be busy chasing Bradley.
Oh, trip, man...
Louie, this whole drat day has been a trip.
I hear you, brother.
So... See ya around?
Bet your life, brother. We're partners, remember.
That's what I'm talking about!

And if we talk to him again...

Take care of yourself, Officer Hyde. And stay outta trouble!

No promises, Louie. Especially with the existence of a sequel. :colbert:

And finally, back to the first person we met here.

Ya checkin' out?
*nods*
Well, alrighty then. Ya paid for yer room in advance, but...
I'll be damned if ya didn't run up some charges!
Dunning, is that a phone bill?

Oops... :sweatdrop:

Ah, forget it. This time it's on the house. But... Next time yer here, ya gotta promise t'stay in my suite! It's a peach of a room!

What, with history of a kidnapping in it?

Anyway, ya got yer room key? Gotta get Wish ready for the next guest, ya know.

Yep. I hear some guests claim the room's magic.
Ha ha ha!
Ya think that's funny?
Ya like laughin' at an old man's tales of the fantastic?
No, Dunning. It's not that. I was just thinking that...maybe there's some truth to it, is all. Maybe it granted some of my wishes, too.
Couple, huh?
Yeah. Can't get greedy, though. Guy like me has a lot of wishes.
...That so?
*gives the room 215 key. No indication if he gives back the room 217 key or the duplicate room 215 key along with the crowbar, pliers, screwdriver, black light, hammer and palette knife. Not to mention Dunning's personal items like his photo with Jenny and his letter from Evans. Let's hope he did.*[/i]
Well, thank ya much.
Year's almost over, ain't it? Happy New Year to ya.
You too, Dunning.

I was about to give Dunning a :sassargh:, but since he paid for the (should be massive) phone bill, he's mostly forgiven.

Oh, and if you're wondering, there's absolutely no change to the item descriptions. The Room 215 key

Just like the first time, we tap the door to open it.

Music: Silent Moon

Wait!
...Mila.
Where...where are you going? Can I... Can I go with you?
Mila... *nods*

Mila will only follow Kyle if we actually revive her mouth-to-mouth. If we just touch her cheek, she will stay. Since she followed us and we have her treasure...

Is this...yours?

Music: Bright Crystal

Kyle alone posted:

Kyle alone posted:

And that's Hotel Dusk: Room 215.

Music: Violet Sky

Kyle is a good protagonist. Many adventure games have the protagonist be a blank slate, but I'm glad that Kyle's not one of them.

Dunning isn't bad, really. It's just that whenever he appears, you should be ready for Drunken Waltz.

Rosa is amazing :allears:. She basically singlehandedly solve Helen's past. And she got Louie, Martin and Kevin's characters without needing to investigate them. AND she managed to get Kyle several times! In the end, she doesn't really matter. Her past is just a trivia for another game while her confrontation is just about Mila.

Louie is best sidekick. 10/10 would work with again.

Jeff just appears in 3 chapters (1, 4, 5. I'm not counting this update.), but he really make those count. That's a good thing about him, at least. His plan is still extremely stupid, though. Not as stupid as Robert's, at least.

Helen is great in that she's the only one (other than Louie) who gave Kyle an actual puzzle. And her confession really makes Violet Sky work.

Martin is the source of the best Game Over. Did you notice that Dunning's opinion on him completely changed between Chapter 3 and 7? In Chapter 3 if you angered Martin he will kick you out because Martin is his chance to bring Hotel Dusk to fame. In Chapter 7 he just said "screw it" because Martin is too wordy .Martin and Helen's story is connected only to each other, unrelated to the whole Nile and Osterzone plot. Martin himself is probably the worst person in the characters we meet and yes, that includes Jeff. I mean, Jeff is just extremely stupid, but Martin is willfully stupid. At least he tried to rectify this by announcing his fraud in the newspaper in hopes that it will draw Alan out. In the sequel...:words:

Iris has quite some mysteries surrounding her. Is she actually Cecily Lee or is she just someone who look very similar? If it's true, is Iris her real name or is it Cecily Lee or even something else entirely? Did Bradley arranged her being here through Grace? :iiam:

Kevin's story has several similarities to Kyle's. They both has someone important to them doing questionable things, they ask those people why, then those people disappeared and now they're trying to find them. Grace's situation isn't as bad as Bradley, but it's still bad. Oh, and I love how his "happy" sprite is the one from when he was drunk.

Melissa's story has several similarities to Mila's. They both are mentally around 9 and both lost one of their parent for 6 months. Melissa herself has the honor of being the first possible cause of Game Over in the game.

Rachel has the honor being the only one whose conversation is different between NG and NG+. She is a lot closer to Kyle in NG+, mainly due to Kyle being more open in that one. Her teasing Kyle matches Rosa, so she's good in my book.

Ed's role is pretty much to be Kyle's source. He doesn't really do much otherwise. His face is only seen in the intro.

Mila didn't do much in the first half of the game. I kinda wonder what she's been doing during the 6 months between her waking up and now. Some of it is probably for therapy so that she can walk again after 10 years of coma.

Bradley's just lucky that Melissa, Kevin, Grace and Mila are here. Helen and Martin don't matter. Jeff is optional.

New Music: Hotel Dusk

Honestly, this update really gone a lot longer than I thought it would. In gameplay this will take like probably 20 minutes at most.

So that's Hotel Dusk: Room 215. It's a nice game with a great story. It does have a few part that's kinda bullshit and you're sure to get caught in it the first time (Chapter 4 room and Chapter 9 escort).

The character arts are amazing. The pencil-style with short animations for each sprite is a nice touch and adds quite some character. It's a shame I can't show most of it.

For those of you who have been reading this, thank you for reading this. I apologize if there's things wrong with this, especially since this is my first LP. In an unrelated note, try guessing where this CG came from.

The OP is posted in November, so this LP has been going on for 8 months. That's honestly much longer than I thought.

If we didn't get any Game Over throughout the game (loading game won't count, but retrying will), we get a scene after the credits.

Music stops

Hotel Dusk front desk

Almost! Land sakes, be a little patient for once!
Where's Louis?
He's getting the bar ready for the New Year's party.
I bet.
Does that take care of all the guests, Mr. Smith? Did everyone check out?
Yep. All done. Been a helluva year, ain't it, Rosa? But it's all done now.

So I guess the New Year party is just going to be between the 3 of them.

Is it really?
What're ya mumblin' 'bout, Rosa?
It's probably nothin', but... I just had the strangest feeling.
You and yer feelings! I had a dime fer every one, I'd be a drat millionaire. Last thing we need's for somethin' t'happen on New Year's Eve. I just want to...
...Mr. Smith?

*Door opens*

What is it? What's wrong? You're white as a sheet!
It's...

End of regular New Game posted:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

...okay I had never seen that last bit. Probably because the game overs are too hilarious to want to avoid

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

Looks like Dunning gets a happy end too. :unsmith: And Kyle and Mila, that has a bit of a creepy connotation because of the mouth-to-mouth, but I'm sure it won't be anything deeper. Thanks for LPing this game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

:unsmith:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

"I'm very upset with you disappearing for years! Pack your things and get out!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busysignal
Nov 28, 2013
Good to see everyone gets peace of mind at the end. What a lovely ending.

• Locked thread