Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Alright, some advice.

Did you read what I posted in the sandcastle thread? Baldurk was mistaken, in the case of this game you should use an external image capture program and stick to .pngs rather than .jpgs. Right now you have the worst of both worlds, poor image quality and hugely bloated file sizes.

This is the image I posted as an example, a crisp 35,1 KB png image:

This is the image you have, a visibly blurry and artifacted 132 KB jpg image:

If you could fix your images going forward, that'd be cool.

Also, you claim your commentary is in italics in the OP but it's not so in the update. One last and less significant thing is that you don't need to slavishly stick to the dialogue boxes in the game when the same person speaks at length. By which I mean is that this

1234567890num posted:

Now listen up! I got a job for ya!

It's a place called Hotel Dusk.

Package is on the way, and the order sheet's inside.

Could just as well be like this:

quote:

Now listen up! I got a job for ya! It's a place called Hotel Dusk. Package is on the way, and the order sheet's inside.

Easier to read and less effort to write, too. I should've pointed it out earlier though, so that's my bad.

Anyhow, Hotel Dusk is a really cool game and it was a shame to see the last LP get abandoned, so I'm glad someone else is giving it a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
This game's soundtrack is really quite good, it's definitely worth clicking the music links for maximum Hotel Dusk mood.

1234567890num posted:

E: I don't know how to get the PNG file size low. I used Irfanview and the file size is still a lot higher than the JPG version.

Odd, here are the settings I used if it helps.

The file sizes are a lot better in the second update at least, so it's just a matter of finding the right balance between size and quality from there.

If you want more advice, maybe put some spaces between lines in parts like this

1234567890num posted:

Lamp Wonder if the shade on that table lamp used to be white.
Lamp table The end table's covered in dust. Hope the rooms are cleaner.
Sofa Leather sofa, huh? Looks like it's been around the block a few times.
Table Solid little table. Too bad it's all nicked up.
Poster Nice bikini. Too bad a girl like that would never stay in a place like this.

Zoomed-in poster Wonder how many losers have imagined she was looking at them?
Plaque It's the hotel business permit. I bet it's expired.
Sticker There's a sticker underneath the frame

You can't actually examine the zoomed-in sticker. It is probably important.
License There's a license plate on the wall. Did a mechanic decorate this dump?
Dart board A clock that looks like a dartboard. What is this, a frat house?

as it's a little cramped and hard to read as it is. I don't mean to run your LP for you or anything though, so it's obviously your call.

Glaive17 posted:

I legit cannot see a visible difference between these 2 images, they look the same to me, sorry. :shrug:

It's pretty noticeable. Maybe you can see it better like this?

• Locked thread