Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I get the impression from watching that PLUM would be slightly easier to control if you had an analog stick (i.e. a controller) instead of WASD... but probably not by much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
The game becomes a little darker from here and on

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

KieranWalker posted:

I get the impression from watching that PLUM would be slightly easier to control if you had an analog stick (i.e. a controller) instead of WASD... but probably not by much.

Probably. Did PS2 had an analog stick?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It had 2 - one for motion one for camera.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

It had 2 - one for motion one for camera.

I'll have to look up whether the lava-plum levels in Rayman 2 are the same in PC and PS2 versions, but it's most likely easier with an analog stick, in that case
The next level coming up is actually another one where I also wish that I had an analog stick

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
does the n64 version (which is pretty much identical to the PC version) also use the analog stick?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

does the n64 version (which is pretty much identical to the PC version) also use the analog stick?

From what I read it did, but I can't accurately confirm it since I haven't even seen an N64 outside of pictures

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Alexeythegreat posted:

Probably. Did PS2 had an analog stick?

As noted by BioEnchanted.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I'd be somewhat surprised if it didn't. There weren't many games on the N64 that used the D-pad.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

As another thing about the Echoing Caves helping tie the world together, the last little area directly resembles The Precipice's environment, as well as showing you the pirate ship that features heavily in it, so it kind of implies you're walking directly from the one to the other.

The Precipice is my favourite level too, but Echoing Caves probably comes second. The flying barrels are so much fun. They've also got a great soundtrack, and I love the little touch where if you skim the water it shows the water-ski graphic from the marshes.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
It's time.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, The Precipice. Between all the levels with gimmick mechanics, this one just challenges your mastery of the core gameplay at a fast pace. I love it.

The Top of the World is fun too! Really, the whole stretch between the santuary of Stone and Fire and the next one is probably the best set of levels in the game.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Meanwile, I just learned that someone made a level editor for Rayman 2

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea what The Top of the World is called it, but I love the name and also the gimmick, even if it can be hard as balls if you aren't paying attention

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Man, it always gets me how tiny The Top Of The World is. Probably because when I first played it as a kid I failed the chair part so many times.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Time for the the next sanctuary, which is also the last sanctuary

Giveaway conditions: be the first to answer the question in the video correctly and get a Steam copy of TY the Tasmanian Tiger Remastered

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Is it really just that you said you'd be finding the third mask and fighting the second boss in the next video, and you didn't do either of those things?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Are those racing sections just how Ly gets Rayman to do regular workouts? They seem more fitness-oriented than proving his worth for a heroic quest.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I don't like the Path of Power as much as the Path of Life. Power has too much standing around waiting for lilypads.

The Sanctuary of Rock and Lava isn't the greatest level to play, but whenever I think of the Rayman 2 aesthetic I think of that level. All the swirly patterned architecture feels quintessential to the style.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Nidoking posted:

Is it really just that you said you'd be finding the third mask and fighting the second boss in the next video, and you didn't do either of those things?

We have a winner :v:

Loxbourne posted:

Are those racing sections just how Ly gets Rayman to do regular workouts? They seem more fitness-oriented than proving his worth for a heroic quest.

Maybe they're a way to show him some of the lums that aren't in the main levels

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
The endgame is rapidly approaching

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

The creator deity is still feels shady as f*ck

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
That writhing thornbush texture really gets quite unsettling when it's used en masse like that.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

That writhing thornbush texture really gets quite unsettling when it's used en masse like that.

I'm pretty sure these should be tentacles, not thornbush. Why else would they be writhing? :v:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
We are almost done with the game

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
That's probably the darkest moment in the game since the intro sequence.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So yeah I kind of got the impression that Clark had already been through and escaped from all the mind-control-machine stuff when you met him in Menhir Hills, and that's why he was sick. And why he had the holes in his back and his eyes went swirly occasionally. But yeah, equally likely it's just textures.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Closing in on the end

OvermanXAN
Nov 14, 2014
I actually really enjoyed Iron Mountains back when I was playing as a kid. I don't remember having this much of an issue with Shell, but that could either me getting lucky or me just not remembering how bad it was. I almost certainly missed the lums under the menhirs though...

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Any chance of footage of the missing boss from one of the console versions?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Loxbourne posted:

Any chance of footage of the missing boss from one of the console versions?

I'm not sure where I'd get it. I don't own any consoles

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Why are Globox's kids blue? Canonically, he was born red. So did his little mutation also alter his genetic code?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
epigenetics, man

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Why are Globox's kids blue? Canonically, he was born red. So did his little mutation also alter his genetic code?

Clearly it's caused by chemicals in their diet.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
This is it, the last two levels. This is where we are introduced to FLYING SHELL, which is everything that the WALKING SHELL dreamed of being but could never be, except it's also the same shell. Anyway, this section is very very hard.

There's also a dumb after credits minigame in the end

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Alexeythegreat posted:

This is it, the last two levels. This is where we are introduced to FLYING SHELL, which is everything that the WALKING SHELL dreamed of being but could never be, except it's also the same shell. Anyway, this section is very very hard.

There's also a dumb after credits minigame in the end

The video title says part 10 btw.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Ah, thanks, fixed it

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Wow. I knew nothing about the secret blue orb. Or the minigame. I can't believe there was stuff about this game that I still didn't know about. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
A fun little LP for a surprisingly good game. Thanks, Alexy!

• Locked thread