Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The game totally does teach you about the rocket barrel thing, in a later level. You're meant to come back with that knowledge to solve that puzzle. I don't think it's built around you getting all the lums in a level the first try. Perhaps the fact that the Fairy Glade doesn't let you get them all is to teach you that...

I totally got stuck on figuring out the walking shell as a kid though. Ended up having to look up a walkthrough. They're pretty fun to ride, though,.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It totally never occurred to me that Clark's weird stuff here might be foreshadowing and not just glitches. But it would make some sense I guess.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Alexeythegreat posted:

I'm pretty sure it is a glitch, but one that also accidentally happens to foreshadow a thing

Probably, but then it hadn't occurred to me until just today that there might have been an actual reason Clark was sick.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I never liked Whale Bay as a kid either. I think it's just the swim speed being pretty slow in this game so racing against both the piranhas and your own air gauge in that last section just felt stressful without any of the excitement.

Still, I like Stone and Fire a lot, and the whole stretch of levels after it is pretty quality, so there's some good stuff coming up.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, the game really teases you with that golden fist right before the walking shell segment. I don't think I've ever got that fist out of the area intact...

The walking shell is fun to use as long as you never have to jump. Once jumping gets involved it's a real mess, because it doesn't stay level while jumping. Possibly because of shell mechanics that will come up later.
Either way, it's a real pain!

By the way, I'm pretty sure there's another plum zone near the start of the level that you missed. Right up at the beginning of the lava.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

In that part where you have the magic orb riding the plum, you can just throw the orb in the air, shoot to move the plum, and the orb will come down wherever you have to be. Don't have to do any fancy timing.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

As another thing about the Echoing Caves helping tie the world together, the last little area directly resembles The Precipice's environment, as well as showing you the pirate ship that features heavily in it, so it kind of implies you're walking directly from the one to the other.

The Precipice is my favourite level too, but Echoing Caves probably comes second. The flying barrels are so much fun. They've also got a great soundtrack, and I love the little touch where if you skim the water it shows the water-ski graphic from the marshes.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ah, The Precipice. Between all the levels with gimmick mechanics, this one just challenges your mastery of the core gameplay at a fast pace. I love it.

The Top of the World is fun too! Really, the whole stretch between the santuary of Stone and Fire and the next one is probably the best set of levels in the game.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Man, it always gets me how tiny The Top Of The World is. Probably because when I first played it as a kid I failed the chair part so many times.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I don't like the Path of Power as much as the Path of Life. Power has too much standing around waiting for lilypads.

The Sanctuary of Rock and Lava isn't the greatest level to play, but whenever I think of the Rayman 2 aesthetic I think of that level. All the swirly patterned architecture feels quintessential to the style.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So yeah I kind of got the impression that Clark had already been through and escaped from all the mind-control-machine stuff when you met him in Menhir Hills, and that's why he was sick. And why he had the holes in his back and his eyes went swirly occasionally. But yeah, equally likely it's just textures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Wow. I knew nothing about the secret blue orb. Or the minigame. I can't believe there was stuff about this game that I still didn't know about. :psyduck:

• Locked thread