Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.
Hello again, lovelies! Your sacharrine buddy Contraboss here with a slightly different thread this time. I want to talk about CRABS!

I think crabs of all types are fascinating, entertaining, and even adorable at times. They are often dicks to each other, but it's just an amusing quirk about them that I love. And if you're not into seeing them live, well then it's all good because it's well known that they are fuckin' tasty when cooked up right!

Here are some crabs being crabby:

Whoa.....easy man, we can talk about this...

Even crabs have rear end in a top hat neighbors!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FkUJmC6sNc

Hey lookit this lil guy! He's-...errr...oh...wait...

Of course, I can't post this thread without mentioning one of my own little crustaceans. Meet Jojo! He's a land hermit crab, or more specifically known as a Purple Pincher because of their big-rear end purple claw that provides protection when hiding in their shells. I've had him for several years, and he is by far the largest hermit crab I've ever had. He is also the friendliest of all my crabs; he doesn't spook easily, and he even approaches me, "sniffing" the air with his antennae when I open the terrarium lid because he thinks he's getting treats or exercise. Sometimes, I like to fan a slice of pizza over the tank and watch his antennae go apeshit as he searches for a pizza-flavored carcass.

His favorite activities include eating, climbing, parking his fat rear end in front of the entrances of the other crabs' hiding spots which blocks them, trying on different shells, going for "walks" when I let him roam freely on the floor, more eating, and making GBS threads in the water dish.

His favorite foods include: coconut, tuna, birdseed, pumpkin, oak leaves, crayfish, persimmon, freshly killed insects(especially any unlucky flies that get trapped at our windows), chicken, boiled eggs, jalepenos, and Burger King Whopper meat.

Here he is putting in some work on a shrimp tail:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mnHkX6jAxg

Yes, I'm a grown-rear end man that has hermit crabs. Fight me, bitch.

Anyways, this is a thread to post about crabs. Tell me what you like about 'em, or feel free to post crabs of your own!

(V)(°,,,,°)(V)
..../// \\\
*pinch* pinch*

(lol OP has crabs)

ContraBoss fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Can someone explain to me the pros and cons of a singular crab cycle versus a multiple one?

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Hustlin Floh posted:

OP I'm going to find your hermit crab and merc him because you filmed him in profile mode.

I did. It was a very impromptu video taken on a whim. I'll explain to him why he's about to get stomped, and I think he'll understand so it's cool.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

lol I remember this. I don't normally like videos of animals getting owned, but sometimes it's funny enough for a pass :shobon:

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Percelus posted:

the person that taught me how to clean crabs never bothered to mercy kill them so when i popped the shell off they'd still be alive and wriggle around it was metal and brutal af

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT60uf4qT4I

That's the nice thing about living around Baltimore for now is the crabby cuisine. I can't eat any other sad, chumpy crab cakes now.

But then, growing up in Alaska had its perks man....

Local King crab

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

These dudes.....

They are a close cousin of the PP hermit crabs. In fact, when they are young, they carry around a shell just like any other hermit! :eng101:

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Honky Dong Country posted:

Crabs loving own. Good thread OP.

Christmas Island biiiiiiiiitch

Yissssssss!

I want to visit that island soooooo badly during that time of year. Hell, I think it's also a fair way to pay homage to the goatman :goatsecx:

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Spinster posted:

Spiders of the Sea

Well...it makes sense in every possible way!

Crab Spiders :3:

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

FisheyStix posted:

found this Pincerless Earthcrab today hope u like it

Hey, hey, hey! We can only cover so many arthropods at a time, buddy! I would save this for the inevitable SPIDER thread!

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

I wish it was mine

Well.....Of course they're found in every mainstream pet store. But, like a lot of small animals that people buy for their children or on a whim, hermit crabs are paying a tragic price that I may or may not shed some light on in this thread :(

But they do make excellent pets if you're dedicated to providing them with a suitable environment! There are vast communities on the web if you're willing to open Pandora's Box (with a little claw!)

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

myDad posted:

crabs are delicious

thinkin bout them crabs....

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Three-Phase posted:

I’ve got a big bag of crabs here!
https://youtu.be/F3jFTzhdZF4

God dammit why you gotta get me stuck in a loop now!

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

No way dude. I'm horribly self conscious about creative stuff. I've thrown away prolly 80% of everything I've ever written and I wouldn't even send anything to a publisher until about two years ago. I hate pretty much everything I write when I re-read it.

But the gist of it is this empire took volunteers from a sentient species of crab that was already pretty huge and juiced them full of poo poo that made them grow huge. They got big fast enough that they had to saw apart their shell to allow the expansion and graft plates into the gaps once it was done. They then mounted crazy rear end manned weapon hardpoints and used them in undersea war. Think WH40k poo poo except not xenophobic and populated primarily by sentient aquatic creatures of various kinds. So basically underwater wh40k crab biotitans.

We're here to help you 'out of your shell', pinch-pal!

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Lol I appreciate the interest but for real I'm cripplingly self conscious about writing. I don't even let people I know really well read anything and keep it locked in a file cabinet unless I'm sending something to a publisher so that I'm less likely to throw it away. And I haven't got anything published yet so odds are it prolly is as bad as I think it is.

I just wanted to write SciFi poo poo about an aquatic empire using dolphin-like lancers and melee battle crabs and whales with artillery on them and poo poo. You never see an aquatic SciFi empire and I really like the idea. Like little tiny animals like shrimps and poo poo being used by a psychic for microsurgery and whales with armor plated noses and metal reinforced skeletons to act as battering rams and poo poo. Fuckin' swarms of bladed fish under mind control to shred enemies and stuff. I just really like the idea.

I just wanted to share my love of the idea of gigantic battlecrabs blasting apart cities and snipping towers in half with their claws and poo poo.

I can smell your potential from here, man. Creative flow is the bread and butter of all things cool, so I hope you find a way to stop doubting yourself and make your dreams a reality :)

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Anyways, I really dig your war-crab concept and would totally put something like that on my desk, or cubicle shelf etc...

Back to CRAAAAABS!!!!

Did you know those little red-claw crabs they sell at pet stores and aquariums aren't meant to be totally submerged all the time in fresh water? Anyone who had these little fellas quickly found out how quirky and mischievous they can get when they constantly try to escape or make a home out of the aquarium filter housing unit. That's because they need to breathe air! They do not thrive underwater, they simply need access to water at all times, like an amphibian. Even then, it's supposed to be brackish water! Oy vey!

ContraBoss fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 16, 2017

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Winnie the poo poo posted:

i have a shirt with the knife crab on it and i live in Maryland

come on over, lemme show you my crab'e'mons.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

'sup B'more goons. Welcome to my crab thread! If you haven't noticed already, it smells of malt vinegar and a fisherman's garage in here.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Pepper Crab posted:

I like this video of crabs getting together to exchange shells

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1dnocPQXDQ

Hell yeah!

I had a mini-instance of this going on in my own little crabitat once when I unloaded bunch of new shells on them! :D

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

It's only appropriate that crab gets its one and only cigarette because I'm sure it is convinced that death is next.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

MC Hawking posted:

Why go directly at a target when you can skitter around and attack from the side?

said every crab ever.

The Pentagon could really benefit from taking a page out of a crab’s playbook!

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

my penis is small and smells of crabs

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Big Beef City posted:

Lmao if you don't eat the poo poo out of any crab or lobster or shrimp or whatever because it has too many legs

Dip it in butter and move on imo

I see your bet and I’ll up the ante and lmao to anyone who bitches out and won’t eat the carapace too :madmax:

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

shadow puppet of a posted:

My thoughts exactly. Combative little scavengers. The most human of a sealife. (Octupus are badly overrated, smart does not equal human, being an angry dick is to be human)

Further example, in tanks crabs will fight to the death if they do not have 1squre foot of space to themselves. Unless, that is, you pack them in to a high density where nobody has any space at all, then they can get along fine. Crabs even have that rural vs. urban divide where putting them in the suburbs drives them mad and they get arrested for jealously loving up someones lawn/seaweed.

Troof. Even in my tank, one crab had been checking out a shell for a while and was prepared to move into it, then a slightly larger crab came by, shoved him out of the way, checked out the shell, and moved in. You could feel the passive aggressive fury boiling over in the smaller crab as it helplessly watched this all take place.

loving chad-crabs...

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

I was sitting at my desk today wondering if crabs still own, and then I remembered a time when I was a little poo poo where I plucked a marine hermit crab from a pier pylon and held it on my hand. He came out just enough to grab onto my middle finger with all of his legs and claws, and tried retracting my finger into his shell, kinda like that grabby thing in Total Recall that Arnie shoves up his nose. Anyways, he was latched on for a while, and it hurt the whole time while I cried. I got owned by a crab and deserved it.

Crabs still own :hehe:

ContraBoss fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 16, 2017

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Shaddak posted:

To contribute to the crabbing, look at this colorful guy!

Good crab, buddy! I like his fire station color theme :krad:

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

Hello this thread is Extremely My poo poo because crabs loving own

at work we have a marine tank with a dungeness crab (Metacarcinus magister). her name is Eugene.

yes, eugene is a girl. she was named by a student that didn't know how to sex crabs but its okay she doesnt mind

let me know if you want to see more 🦀

Come on! You KNOW there's no reason to prompt you to post MORE CRABS!!!! DO IT!!!!!

Also, this is another relevant story as to why crabs own:

When I was like 10, my mom brought home some live dungeoness crab to eat. OF loving COURSE being a dumbshit little kid, I just had to keep playing around with the half-dead crab before we started cooking them. It was pretty limp and barely responsive, so I had the bright idea to stick my finger into its limp claw. Welp, the inevitable happened because karma-crab clamped down, with its rigid bumps inside the claws squeezing into to the top of my fingernail. Again, I was crying because of the pain, and it wouldn't let go for like 10 minutes. Every time I moved it squeezed harder, which is fair because my dumb rear end deserved it. It finally let go, and I was an angry lil' bitch for getting rekt by a crustacean.

Crabs own

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

Now she bullies the other tank residents. It's okay that particular sea star is actually a gigantic jerk.
https://i.imgur.com/6bP4X8z.mp4

YEAH! Get hosed, you stupid, no-faced echinoderm! :black101:

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

scrubs season six posted:

Here's a crab I caught in a shrimpin pot in Alaska. He had poo poo growin on him!

That little fella kinda looks like when the kitty eats too much grass and barfs it up on your floor.

No disrespect though, still a good crab :cheers:

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Mo_Steel posted:

What about crab art?

Absolutely

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

lol

*Gruff umpire voice* I'LL ALLOW IT!!!

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Mozi posted:

hello fellow crab, i would like one 'crabby patty' por favor

Aye.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Sorry fellas, I'm already way ahead of ya'll and named one of my pinchies Captain Snips. She's even the feistiest one I have!

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

etalian posted:

Dungeness crab vs Blue Crab is a good example of east coast vs west coast.

Call me biased for being raised in the PNY, but Dungeness > Blue Crab. :smug:

Although both are good and I can't really talk poo poo about blue crab.

Also, it helps that I was stationed in Port Angeles, WA. where they hold the Dungeness Crab Festival, and is also just a few miles away from Dungeness, WA. :eng101:

ContraBoss fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 18, 2017

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Spinster posted:

The best Dungeness is more flavorful than King or even lobster imo. I was also raised in PNW.

God drat I miss the PNY :smith:

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

***INCOMING CRABS!***

Here are some random photos from the past 3 years of my crabitat:

Here is Smee riding atop of Jojo, something not so uncommon that happens to him.

Maggie Moo is ever vigilant. Whenever I let Jojo roam, I have to lock her out of the room, otherwise she immediately takes the opportunity to bat around the poor crab like one of her toys!

Captain Snips! She's a feisty little rear end-pirate. Whenever I pick her up, she retracts into her shell like they typically do, but starts angrily trying to grab anything she can in her big claw. Even when I set her down on my palm, she's determined to get a piece of my flesh in her grip. I can't stop getting owned by crabs! :3:

This is a more recent pic of Smee and the crabitat. She's grown quite a bit and has moved into even larger shells this past year. I sprinkle chia, birdseed, and quinoa into the terrarium and they readily sprout on the moss, providing a really enriching environment for the crabbies. It's basically a little ecosystem in there. There's pillbugs, crickets, small spiders, springtails, nematodes and fungus gnats that thrive in there and sort of complete a little cycle in there. The crabs obviously poo poo, and anything they don't eat that isn't too big or gross gets broken down by the various scavenging organisms in the tank, which makes for some fertile substrate for moss I gather from the woods and periodic seeds I throw in there for food and decor!

This is the best pic I could get on my phone of my current setup. My goal is to make a bigger, crabbier paradise someday once we move out of our apartment. :)

I'm going to upload a video of one of them changing shells, but I gotta edit out my dumb-rear end remark first.

ContraBoss fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 18, 2017

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Bagsack posted:

Also, aren’t crabs essentially immortal if they aren’t attacked by another animal or contract a disease? That’s a cool crab fact if I’m not mistaken.

edit: My bad, turns out that’s more of a lobster fact :(

Welllllll....sorta!

I know my particular hermit crabs have been observed to live like 20 or 30 years or so I've heard at some point, under consistently ideal conditions. The main thing that seems to be the end of the line for them is molting. Molting gets considerably harder for them as they age, and takes a bigger toll on their health during that process.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Jeez I feel like I wouldn't even be able to add water to their setup without the slightest force knocking them down or breaking a leg.

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Bagsack posted:

That’s amazing. Being able to hang out with your crab homies for a huge chunk of your life sounds like a really good thing.

It is, man. I'm even at the point where I can hand feed Jojo. I'll probably upload a video of that if the thread keeps going the way it is! :toot:

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

I really need to change our hermie tank. It's so gross.

I just don't have time :sigh:

You can always add substrate and throw in some springtails, pillbugs, or nematodes! Hell, just going outside to a pesticide-free wooded area and grabbing a handful of soil to add to your tank will get things started!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Hey crab crew! So sorry about the hiatus! After we wrap up turkey day, it’s back to serious business about crabs! 🦀🦀🦀