Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

Whether woke or deplorable, people all over the land are either buying things to own their perceived political enemies, or boycotting those things to also own those political enemies.

Eat terrible pizza, punch your expensive coffee machine, arm yourself to the teeth, or buy french wine and then flush it down the toilet on video, to trigger the libs. Otherwise, buy a tote bag with a cumbersome slogan, get a safety pin box subscription, or post to a dying internet forum to Resist. This is now politics.

Barely anyone knows how to acquire the means to engage with the political sphere. Since consumption and politics are now all about identity formation, it would only make sense to consume as politics.

Post impotent acts of performative consumption to own others itt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
When you trick somebody into participating in a small-time fraud, its called a ‘scam.
But when the scam is so big that people have no choice but to participate, it’s called ‘economics.’

Thanks to civilization and its division of labor, we now create more crap than anyone knows what to do with.

The more crap civilization makes, the more we buy. The more we buy, the bigger civilization gets, allowing it to create still more crap.

In other words, civilization grows like a cancer.

You’d think that the more crap a society produces, the less work it needs from everyone.
But rather than lightening everybody’s load, it just enables some people not to work at all. These lucky souls are known as the ‘Leisure Class’

The Hardest working and most creative people contribute the most to human survival…

And yet, because we all aspire to be in the Leisure Class, we value the people who destroy the most and work the least.

The Paradox of our economic system has placed us at odds with our own survival! We are locked in a state of moral confusion!

It’s not that the Leisure Class isLAZY. They just feel they’re too important to do the boring work society actually needs. They feel driven to conquer, to recreate the world as a monument to themselves, whatever the cost to the rest of us.

This Goes back to our hunter-gatherer days. Even though the gatherers provided far more food for the tribe… it was the HUNT we celebrated.

it was the strongest hunter we trusted to rule the tribe, whether or not he was actually fit to lead.

In a way, you could say that MEN were the world’s first leisure class.

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

https://twitter.com/luxury/status/930967245433507840

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

https://twitter.com/montgomerychamp/status/929828306043719682

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
My grandpa still won’t buy Heinz ketchup 13 years after the 2004 election.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
You've got to wonder what the end game of all this is. Are we literally going to end up with 2 totally different 'spheres' of consumer branding, based on culture war bullshit?

Deus ex invisible war was really terrible, but a weird little subplot it had involving the coffee shops was, like, on the loving money.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

buying generic is revisionism

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

dead gay son posted:

I only buy W ketchup

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Why are they mad at Keurig?

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Dreddout posted:

Why are they mad at Keurig?

Keurig stopped sponsoring Sean Hannity's TV show because he defended Roy Moore being a child molester

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
What are your ketchup options if you don't buy heinz? It's The Ketchup.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

If you like your ketsup, you can keep it!

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

There's no ketchup or catsup America

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Ketchup on a hot dog.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Volcott posted:

What are your ketchup options if you don't buy heinz? It's The Ketchup.

Hunt's

I personally buy store brand tho b/c i am cheap and/or broke most of the time

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Volcott posted:

Ketchup on a hot dog.

the only correct way to eat a hot dog

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

If you put ketchup and mustard on your hot dog you're only half wrong.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Mayor Dave posted:

I personally buy store brand tho b/c i am cheap and/or broke most of the time

i do it because it has less sugar and more tomatoes. and frankly heinz is way too sweet.

Mayor Dave posted:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

though technically the fork should be plastic with a serrated edge and the plate should be a paper box

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.
Yeah I've also read First as Tragedy then as Farce.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Mayor Dave posted:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

rudatron posted:

Deus ex invisible war was really terrible, but a weird little subplot it had involving the coffee shops was, like, on the loving money.

Haven't played that one, gonna need deets to understand this post

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

dead gay son posted:

nice self own

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

dead gay son posted:

its cuz he Hunt's!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
welcome to late capitalism nightmare zone

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

C-Euro posted:

Haven't played that one, gonna need deets to understand this post
in that game, there's two competing coffee chains, queequegs and pequods. Their main difference is branding: queequegs is all about natural-organic-whatever, while pequods is pure modernist, efficient, luxury, etc. But this rivalry dips into more than just pure business competition.There's a couple of side missions where you work for one or the other, and you go and sabotage the other guy. Cutt-throat competition and all that.

Later, you find out that they're actually owned by the same company. The conflict is entirely manufactured, both the drum up interest, and because it's impossible for any one coffee chain to fully capture the market. The franchise owners aren't even aware of it.

The reason it's in the game, is that it's hinting at the one of the reveals of the main plot: that the two main factions you've been working for, the TWO and some stupid church thing, are actually both being run by the illuminati (who are basically a stand in for liberal capitalism).

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Mayor Dave posted:

https://twitter.com/lionel_trolling/status/928771073453195264

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
now, observe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxEMIQzeT40

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

dead gay son posted:

Put him in one of those rest homes that are basically just extended morgues

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

rudatron posted:

in that game, there's two competing coffee chains, queequegs and pequods. Their main difference is branding: queequegs is all about natural-organic-whatever, while pequods is pure modernist, efficient, luxury, etc. But this rivalry dips into more than just pure business competition.There's a couple of side missions where you work for one or the other, and you go and sabotage the other guy. Cutt-throat competition and all that.

Later, you find out that they're actually owned by the same company. The conflict is entirely manufactured, both the drum up interest, and because it's impossible for any one coffee chain to fully capture the market. The franchise owners aren't even aware of it.

The reason it's in the game, is that it's hinting at the one of the reveals of the main plot: that the two main factions you've been working for, the TWO and some stupid church thing, are actually both being run by the illuminati (who are basically a stand in for liberal capitalism).

lol
I like the subtle jab at Starbuck's with those names too

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Theeshz... is ideology.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
stopped buying sabra brand hummus in solidarity with the BDS movemnet

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

dead gay son posted:

there was a restaurant chain in a city I used to live in that had hunts ketchup and you could tell this is exactly why

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

LegoPirateNinja posted:

stopped buying sabra brand hummus in solidarity with the BDS movemnet

i think they use canola oil or something blasphemous anyhow

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
is canola oil bad :ohdear:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

C-Euro posted:

lol
I like the subtle jab at Starbuck's with those names too

It is about the only clever thing in that massively disappointing game.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Ending level was good. The Omar were pretty sweet to interact with and think about. I played the game long after it came out and everyone was disappointed by it and I thought it was fine.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

If this is handmade buying this is a good idea as it supports an artist and also it's a guillotine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

If this is handmade buying this is a good idea as it supports an artist and also it's a guillotine.

It'd be better if it worked and you could use it to chop tiny vegetables.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVTbwSxDuzM&t=75s

• Locked thread