Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Conceptually, I like the idea of needing resources, not just money, to make your state function. Like, access to good lumber for ships should be pretty important for any state that wants to build a significant navy.

I'm hopeful that it'd be possible to mod the input system to represent resource consumption for maintenance and upkeep as well - it shouldn't be the case that a road network built in 1390 remains useful in 1760 without ongoing expenses, and would hopefully allow for actual backsliding rather than just stagnation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm kinda into the idea of managing my state's ability to wage war via managing its resources.

Like cav should be really really good but no horses? Start walkin' son.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

1. Give us stuff to do that's not just warring/blobbing.
2. Not like that!

I definitely can see how some of this stuff could end up being tedious, but I'm going to hope it's fun, and if it's not I'll just play something else I guess. Maybe even EU4.

I never asked for #1. :)

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Yuiiut posted:

I'm hopeful that it'd be possible to mod the input system to represent resource consumption for maintenance and upkeep as well - it shouldn't be the case that a road network built in 1390 remains useful in 1760 without ongoing expenses, and would hopefully allow for actual backsliding rather than just stagnation.
Yeah, that would be cool. I do like the idea that development is something you have to maintain, rather than something you simply achieve, so there's definitely something here. The only thing I'm scared of it is it being like Vicky 3, or even Vicky 3-lite, which seems too much to me. Would rather that be simplified a bit and then put some mechanical focus on a simplified dynastic system that's integrated into the larger subject system.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I really hope they improve the trade system from imperator. Which also had a ton of various goods that you could never get enough of because you could only ever get a handful of trade routes.

I do like the idea of actually needing to use the resources instead of getting an abstract bonus from just having them.

So with the mix of mechanics from eu4, imperator, and now Vicky, when do we get a dev diary of managing the dynasties of your country? Gotta bolt some ck mechanics on as well and make this a true paradox voltron game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

anno universalis

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

so is victoria 3, any good?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's alright.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

It’s good imo. But I really like relatively peaceful empire gardening and hate army micro.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Yeah it's good. Different countries play a little too similarly to each other but the core economy-building gameplay loops are fun in my opinion.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

We'll know if Vicky3 is good when the 1.0 release hits in a few months.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I tried vic3 like four times and each time I got bored because the gameplay loop involves a several minute wait for buildings to construct

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

It has a lot of fun elements but I very much agree with the steam forums post I saw where a person wanted the game to come with a free gun so they could shoot themselves in the head whenever they tried to pass a law or start a war.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Vicky 3 is good because I do not want to do anything in these games but manage my little garden and do some light imperialism for more things (people, resources, land) to garden.

As such I also like the dev diary for Eu5.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
I am the cat who shits in said gardens. meow

e: Adding to my shitpost. I'm just happy goods serve a purpose beyond more money now. Hope I don't feel the need to micro it, we shall see once game is actually available, yadda yadda.

Box wine fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 25, 2024

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Jay Rust posted:

No.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Jay Rust posted:

yes op, yes it is, but you should prolly wait for a free weekend or play for two hours within the refund window and decide for yourself

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I got Vicky 3 when it popped up in the humble monthly and I'm really enjoying it.

I'm not sure why game speeds below 4 exist though.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
In 1890 it essentially becomes speed 1 rather fast

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Vicky 3 is great and I welcome any and all Victoria influence on EU5

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I don’t see any real reason to worry about Anbennar development because of EU5. We don’t know if EU5 is going to even be good, or when it’s going to be good (since that’s frequently not until sometime after release with these games). Couple that with the monumental effort of starting effectively from scratch with a project like Anbennar and I don’t see EU5 Anbennar making much headway until like 2027.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Jay Rust posted:

No.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Jay Rust posted:

Yes.

Countzer
May 27, 2022

Jay Rust posted:

Kind of.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Witness ze dialectic

sillyloquy
Dec 4, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

90% of the game is micromanaging resource buildings/factories which, if you play Paradox games probably sounds like fun but is a surprisingly hollow, unrewarding experience.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Change something. Wait. Wait. Wait. Wait. Change something else. Wait. Wait. Wait. Wait. Queue up another building or two. Wait. Wait. Wait. Wait.
And that's at a fast game speed. Do you think watching the population meter on colonies in early-game EU4 is the most exciting aspect? If so, hang on to your tophat!

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah but basically every non-war mechanic in EU4 is just waiting for a meter to fill so you can press a button that will either make a meter fill faster or give you a better number for war.

And the war mechanics are bad

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Poil posted:

Change something. Wait. Wait. Wait. Wait. Change something else. Wait. Wait. Wait. Wait. Queue up another building or two. Wait. Wait. Wait. Wait.
And that's at a fast game speed. Do you think watching the population meter on colonies in early-game EU4 is the most exciting aspect? If so, hang on to your tophat!

That's why you enact laissez faire and let the capitalists build whatever the hell they want and turn your empire into a disorganized mess.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

That's why you enact laissez faire and let the capitalists build whatever the hell they want and turn your empire into a disorganized mess.
Changing laws is a pain in the rear end, and requires a TON of waiting around and hoping the rng doesn't screw you over again. Does that increase building speed by a lot? Otherwise it doesn't do anything about the waiting, waiting and waiting except increase it by mostly removing the construction mechanic so it feels even less interesting?

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
You can wait for multiple things at the same time

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

i don't really understand when people say vicky 3 is all waiting. i feel like i'm constantly busy in that game. are you guys just not expanding your construction industries?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Vicky 3 features a lot of waiting but everything that Paradox makes features a lot of waiting so I am unsure as to why this is a knock on Vicky 3 specifically.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

i don't really understand when people say vicky 3 is all waiting. i feel like i'm constantly busy in that game. are you guys just not expanding your construction industries?

Waiting on them to finish.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Vicky 3 for me is like an Anno game but without all the things that make Anno beautiful and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's waiting for the game to get good.