Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The example the video gave of a use-case was for the 'holy trinity' achievement, which requires the papal states to have the teutonic order, the knights, and the livonian order as marches. All three of those countries tend to die early, so it can be a struggle to even get a CB on them before they're gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's the rebels that i feel sorry for.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
Here's the video by the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-5EQe8Bbf8

Just going through interactions I can only see 2 or 3 I've probably never used.

Corrupt Officials which increases corruption by .1 for 5 years. That's pretty weak minus some really certain situations that I'd probably miss. Maybe if I'm attacking Ming late game? Maybe there's an estate that buffs this?

Agitate for liberty I probably never used outside of being bored at the end of a campaign. 90 spy network is pretty expensive and you don't get it till dip tech 27.

Infiltrate administration. You don't get this until dip tech 30, ya no one uses this.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Box wine posted:

I sure would enjoy reloading cause a merc company on a 30% chance walked into some mountains instead of marching straight into relieve another army.

You wouldn't be able to reload for a MP game, so having something that's inbetween a Stability Hit and a Disaster would be cool.

CommonShore posted:

I like the manpower model because it's a view of the military at the levels of simulation that EU is working on: the depersonalized high-level state view in which lots of those functions get delegated and the player just deals with the end result - not how the troops get supplied, merely what condition they're in as a result of those mechanisms for the leader moving blocks around on the map. It's not a game that's primarily about military micro and I don't fire it up to scratch that itch, and really states didn't have the ability to manage their armies that way because of how communication worked.

What I'd like to see is more modifiers though which affect the game on that more strategic level. To use the EU4 vocabulary, it would be really nice if low-professionalism armies got morale penalties based on the way the war is unfolding - war exhaustion, spending too much time abroad, and perhaps from attrition. And generals should have bigger effects on these modifiers: rn manouvre is the least important general stat, and imo it should be the most important one. The terrain and river crossing modifiers should be more significant, and the map should be structured to make that a bigger part of the game and strategy: the big example my mind keeps coming back to is that the lower Danube should be a major obstacle, but it's barely noticeable in the EU4 topology. When I'm firing up a war I should be thinking about what pathways to send my troops on, knowing that everything has friction and inertia, and they're trade-offs, hoping that things turn out well for me in the end.

But perhaps armies should always do devastation to any province they're in, and this should affect the way that military access works, which will make wars more about strategy than moving the armies around like an RTS. I guess I want to see something that splits the difference between the "Fronts" model of the later simulations and the current "lets run around after each other in circles" status quo.

And mercs should be much different from how they are rn. They should have minds of their own to a certain extent and represent a perpetual threat to the state in (again in the EU4 vocabulary) low-stability, low-legitimacy, and/or low-prestige environments, maybe in some cases taking over their own movement or deciding to retreat from battles, or in worst-case scenarios converting to rebels or switching sides.

The problem though is that we DO have the ability to micro our armies, i.e doomstacks, and a lot of the interesting things about the Early Modern period, like what went on with Wallenstein and stuff like that, the importance of logistics and how armies are built up, trained and equipped is all lost and the resulting abstractions result in boring samey gameplay that comes down to stacking the most modifiers.

I think the way you're asking for more modifiers ultimately is doubling down on the worst aspects of EU4's design, that the numbers don't make playing as France different from playing as Russia or playing as China; its all impersonal modifiers and stats and not differences in how the game actually plays as a result of your local decisions.

I don't feel that the manpower pool as we have it is a good abstraction, I don't think Louis the 14th had a precise number of how many bodies he could throw to fill in the lochs of the Low Countries. I want a much more decentralized model that early game is more akin to begging local lords to contribute troops that slowly transitions to something more akin to Victoria 3/EU4 in having a professional army. That way we can model things like "This local lord was really big at carefully training his troops and are way better at fighting" and "this dude just sent a bunch of starving peasants" and the struggle over the course of the game is to try to create standards and to slowly take away that power from local lords and put that power in the hands of the state and its bureaucracy.

Re: Geography I think it would be neat if Navigable rivers was more of a thing; both for supply and maneuver, and that crossing a major river is a major part of gameplay and is a de facto fort line. I do like the idea Victoria 3 brings to the table and it would be nice if we could somehow split that difference or square that circle to step away from Armies circling each other or to make it more interesting and aligned with historical reality. Napoleon's maneuvers in Germany aren't really all that possible in the current province based map. I'd like to see Roads/Rivers be more important to restricting movement.

And yeah I think for the period in question in which Mercs were hugely important, they should be better modelled, and the consequences for failing to pay; but not quite an annoying potentially nation-ruining way if it happens. Something like they give/tick up devastation in the provinces they influence when they lack pay could be interesting, and maybe they're slower to react to the enemy, but you still have them fighting for you.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Yeah I'm not attached to manpower as an integer but I like the decisions it prompts as an abstraction of "can we find enough bodies to put on the field" question,which absolutely was a problem for someone like Louis XIV, and different states found different solutions

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
Johan's really been posting a lot on the dev diary threads.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/tinto-talks-5-march-27th-2024.1647775/page-10#post-29502735

Johan posted:

If its my decision alone, achievements should ALWAYS require ironman.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/tinto-talks-5-march-27th-2024.1647775/page-17#post-29502995

Johan posted:

[in response to a post saying achievements can be easily hacked]

Yes, and thats why the answer was not "It will be ironman only"

Well I'm happy to hear this even if it's not for the right reason (i.e. just let me have fun with the game the way I want to). I'll give Johan some credit though, he seems to be much less of a curmudgeon than he used to be given that this is the only curmudgeonly opinion I remember hearing from him on EU5.

A couple more dubs in there:

Johan posted:

Andorra is on the map.

Johan posted:

There is no lucky nations mechanic in this game..

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think it'd be nice if the game just recorded whether an achievement was gotten in ironman or not. It's nice for games to give players reasons to go for things that are difficult, without leaving the option of taking the easy way out. But people get really weird about steam achievements, so tie them to the more flexible/easier version.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

cheetah7071 posted:

I think it'd be nice if the game just recorded whether an achievement was gotten in ironman or not. It's nice for games to give players reasons to go for things that are difficult, without leaving the option of taking the easy way out. But people get really weird about steam achievements, so tie them to the more flexible/easier version.

unless eu5 has a way of stopping alt-f4, iron man is pointless.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

CommonShore posted:

unless eu5 has a way of stopping alt-f4, iron man is pointless.

I think the purpose of Iron Man is to prevent casual save scumming, not necessasarily as the end all be all line of defence.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
there's a huge difference between alt-f4ing a misclick or bad rng, and loading back to redo a strategic decision from multiple years ago.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I think fundamentally any mechanic based around the idea that things might randomly go bad is mostly going to be a debuff for the AI because players tend to be incredibly risk-averse, especially for games like EU which tend towards long campaigns.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

there's a huge difference between alt-f4ing a misclick or bad rng, and loading back to redo a strategic decision from multiple years ago.

Yeah the latter is more respectable

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

cheetah7071 posted:

It makes zero difference, to you, for me to do any of those things in the privacy of my own singleplayer campaign.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Magissima posted:

It makes zero difference, to you, for me to do any of those things in the privacy of my own singleplayer campaign.

If you're mad at me, I'm not sure you read my posts lol

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
I'm not mad at you. I just don't agree that it should matter to anyone whether ironman was enabled or not when I got an achievement. I'll admit I reread your post before the one I quoted and if that's not the point you were making then I didn't understand it right and still don't.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My post was literally just saying that playing on ironman does something, replying to someone saying it was meaningless. I don't care how you play! I even agreed with you that achievements should be unlockable with non-ironman!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I guess, to expound:

achievements aren't paradox holding a gun to your head and saying 'play this way or else'. They're just a lil suggestion; 'we think you'll have a fun time doing this. Give it a try!' and then putting a happy little checkmark next to it when you do it. Recording some details about how you got it, like whether it was ironman or not, what tag you started as, what tag you ended as, whether you used the console or not, etc, lets everybody get the little checkmark, lets people who want to show off the sick challenge they just did do so, gives you something to strive for as you see something you could accomplish but haven't yet, and lets you walk down memory lane about your past runs

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
I see, I thought the "record whether it was in ironman" idea was to appease the "people who get weird about steam achievements" like me, while true hardcore players would show off that they get their achievements only in ironman. I largely agree with you then. I will say that achievements being locked behind ironman did cause me to play EU4 in ironman quite a bit, but now that I only play Anbennar I never play ironman or feel the urge to, so the restriction did force me to make a tradeoff between two aspects of the game I enjoyed and in that sense it does feel a little bit like "play this way or else" if you accept that the "or else" can be something minor like missing out on a small but fun feature of the game.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
ah, sorry that that part was unclear. Yeah, to be crystal clear, I'm not talking about blasting 'THIS ACHIEVEMENT WAS GOTTEN IN NON-IRONMAN' to all your steam friends. Just like, putting a little sword icon next to the checkmark, in game.

Honestly, given that the ideal of achievements in this game is to encourage people to try out runs they wouldn't otherwise, it might be nice to have a few that are iron-man only, to encourage people to give it a try. If you don't like it--no big deal, it's just 5 or 6 achievements out of a hundred. And if you do like it, great! You can keep playing that way, now that you've learned you enjoy it.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

Soiled Meat
All good :)

I agree that having at least a couple achievements require ironman would be a good compromise. Finish a full campaign in ironman, do a world conquest in ironman, declare war on a significantly stronger enemy and win in ironman

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Cheevos should be iron man enabled so it's an actual measure of achievement and not how long someone can tolerate rolling dice

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Buschmaki posted:

Cheevos should be iron man enabled so it's an actual measure of achievement and not how long someone can tolerate rolling dice

i'm kind of on the ironman side more than most, but even then how many achievements are "legitimately" gotten by rerolling starts until x rivals/doesn't rival y? if that's not cheating, then is it cheating to make a 1444 backup save when those stars align so you don't have to reroll that start all over again if you gently caress up 50 or 100 years down the line? what about starts in like sub-saharan africa where the first 50 years are easy but it gets hard when the euros start taking an interest? do you have to do the easy first 50 years over and over every time you lose to the euros? where do you draw the line?

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 28, 2024

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Raenir Salazar posted:

It would also be nice if instead of moving from province to province there was something for sub province-wise for movement or an entirely different map. It's weird for there to be attrition the way its modeled in EU4 while also having an army occupying an entire province and presumably looting it.
Attrition isn't just people starving, but also disease outbreaks. Presumably a huge army sitting down somewhere, even with adequate supply, would result in sanitary and disease spread issues greater than those for a smaller army.

As for the sub-province movement, I feel like that's basically locations + the more detailed impassable terrain. Like, if you're fighting in eastern Anatolia and the Caucasus, you're maneuvering around in mountains, trying to trap the enemy or not be trapped yourself, just the same as if they added another even smaller subdivision of provinces with an even more detailed map of impassable terrain. Sure, you could get more fidelity by going more detailed, having sections of rivers and marshes* also be impassable, creating even more locations where chokepoints exist, but you have to weigh that against the player having to possibly manage multiple armies. As long as a region like eastern Anatolia is detailed enough that you do get the sense of it offering a different sort of opportunity for maneuver than the open steppes, I don't think there's much gained for going more granular.

*I do hope they go all-in on different sorts of terrain in terms of creating impassable terrain, and where not impassable then perhaps still a barrier to swift movement.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Raenir Salazar posted:

It would also be nice if instead of moving from province to province there was something for sub province-wise for movement

total war did this and it was a mistake

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

All of you talking about alt-f4ing to cheat ironman mode…

Doesn’t alt-f4 still automatically save the game? I thought you HAD to ctrl-alt-delete-taskbar-endprocess

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

All of you talking about alt-f4ing to cheat ironman mode…

Doesn’t alt-f4 still automatically save the game? I thought you HAD to ctrl-alt-delete-taskbar-endprocess

nope

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
ctrl-shift-esc will bring up the task manager directly without the intermediate screen btw

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

total war did this and it was a mistake
Reported for implying that the ideal EU game is not one that fully integrates every Total War feature.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

After the latest not-EU5 dev diary with stability and prestige and diplomatic reputation being mentioned, I hope the development isn't just importing every variable from EU4 without discussing whether it's actually required or if its just unnecessary complexity. Does the trade system really need seven different variables adjusting trade revenues? Does there need to be a stability value when the game is already simulating the stability of a country via its internal politics and economy? Does combat need to import every fire, discipline, combat ability, moral, shock, etc etc variable from EU4 (please no)?

I feel like one issue of Eu4s opacity and inaccessibility is how many of these variables there are.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

I just realized the game will be trash, for one obvious reason: The icon for commoners has a sword in it, the very symbol of wealth and power. Make it a spear, and perhaps the game still stands a chance.

Red Bones posted:

Does there need to be a stability value when the game is already simulating the stability of a country via its internal politics and economy?
I feel like stability is a sensible variable, as a sort of general vibe check on the country, basically a unified value for how accepting of the status quo the population is and believes itself to be. So like, a faction might be pissed off, but it might not feel comfortable trying to rock the boat because it does not have much hope of actually changing the status quo. Conversely, a moderately dissatisfied faction might start poo poo in a country where everything is in flux anyway. Actually, I kind of feel like stability should have no effect on its own, but just effect the power of the variable associated with the estates (larger benefits when stable, smaller when unstable, and the reverse for negative modifiers).

The above is sort of an example of what I feel like is the most important aspect of keeping the game accessible. A lot of variables isn't necessarily an issue in itself, only when they fail to cohere in a fashion that's easy to grasp to the level required. That was a major criticism of EU4 DLC, where various variables seemed to model essentially the same thing, and where variables that should interact didn't. You don't need to know the specific meaning of literally every variable, as long as the game is set up in such a way that consequences seem to flow naturally from your decisions, where things that you'd assume would empower or disempower an estate actually does, rather than half your decisions affecting something called Nobility Contentment which for some reason has nothing to do with Nobility Satisfaction which has nothing to do with Nobility Loyalty.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Box wine posted:

I sure would enjoy reloading cause a merc company on a 30% chance walked into some mountains instead of marching straight into relieve another army.

Honestly if there's one thing I really want to see in EU5, it's making battles resolve faster (instantly?) so that the Noria style reinforcement meta dies out.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I hope that combat takes a similar hands off approach as Vicky 3.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I just realized the game will be trash, for one obvious reason: The icon for commoners has a sword in it, the very symbol of wealth and power. Make it a spear, and perhaps the game still stands a chance.

I feel like stability is a sensible variable, as a sort of general vibe check on the country, basically a unified value for how accepting of the status quo the population is and believes itself to be. So like, a faction might be pissed off, but it might not feel comfortable trying to rock the boat because it does not have much hope of actually changing the status quo. Conversely, a moderately dissatisfied faction might start poo poo in a country where everything is in flux anyway. Actually, I kind of feel like stability should have no effect on its own, but just effect the power of the variable associated with the estates (larger benefits when stable, smaller when unstable, and the reverse for negative modifiers).

The above is sort of an example of what I feel like is the most important aspect of keeping the game accessible. A lot of variables isn't necessarily an issue in itself, only when they fail to cohere in a fashion that's easy to grasp to the level required. That was a major criticism of EU4 DLC, where various variables seemed to model essentially the same thing, and where variables that should interact didn't. You don't need to know the specific meaning of literally every variable, as long as the game is set up in such a way that consequences seem to flow naturally from your decisions, where things that you'd assume would empower or disempower an estate actually does, rather than half your decisions affecting something called Nobility Contentment which for some reason has nothing to do with Nobility Satisfaction which has nothing to do with Nobility Loyalty.
I dislike Stability as A Thing because I frequently find myself at high manpower (never max because too many wars, but I invest *heavily* in manpower from really early in the game), good income, no loans, happy estates, and no unrest. Yet... my stability is -1 because :reasons: like... a comet flew by and a (happy) noble pitched a fit about some old right his grandfather had that my ruler's grandfather took away.

If they make stability actually dependent on your country's current status w/r/t are people pissy? Are you in debt? Is there a big rebellion brewing?

PittTheElder posted:

Honestly if there's one thing I really want to see in EU5, it's making battles resolve faster (instantly?) so that the Noria style reinforcement meta dies out.
I would absolutely love this.

Secondary to that, I would like to see rebellions work differently. Right now they are a time/attention/manpower tax that only means something if you plan ahead poorly or make the mistake of getting into a war you didnt have won before you started it (by having wildly more mans).

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This is what I'm saying though - why add an extra abstract stability modifier? It's also simulating something that's already being simulated.

If this game already systemically models, "are the four main estates upset?" "Is my economy operating at a loss?" "Do I have enough food?", "how many provinces have unrest?", its already simulating the stability of a country.

In your example, it would make more sense (and be more intuitive for the player) if the estate unhappiness just magnified directly off other variables like food shortages or economic troubles, rather than going through an abstract "stability" value.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think stability is an EU3 remnant (maybe older than that), back then we didn't have estates or autonomy or devastation

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Stability being abstract kind of represents things that are just outside of the ruler's control. The comet event is just something that you can't deal with because of the beliefs of the time that they were bad omens. Or like having someone declared a saint is something you don't really have control over, but it improves the countries stability.

It could be replaced but I think there should be some parts of a country's stability should be completely removed from the player's control. No matter how well you feed your population, manage manpower or play the game, that drat comet is still a bad omen.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I kinda want to check out eu3 again, i bet it's gonna feel like revisiting your old high school

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Screenshots: I like this newer, cleaner, easier to read EUV.

There are posts on the PDX forums of people complaining about how it looks like it's too flat, looks like a website, etc, but I always thought EU4 suffered from too much "ink" - the UI was alright, but there are way too many ornamental things, and it wasn't always clear what was a clickable button, or what was just an icon.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Why do artists reduce the cost to stab up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Through sheer force of personality, they keep the society constant. But yeah, it doesn't really make a lot of sense and a rework is a good idea. I think there should be parts of the reworked stability you just can't control was my main point from that previous post.