Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Tinto Talks #6

Covering 'control', the mechanic replacing autonomy, and how it is modified by proximity to the capital, rivers and maritime presence.

It also ties into the markets system, which sounds as though it is a lot more dynamic than trade in previous entries with the possibility of provinces locations switching market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I just realized the game will be trash, for one obvious reason: The icon for commoners has a sword in it, the very symbol of wealth and power. Make it a spear, and perhaps the game still stands a chance.

Johan posted:

Hey, before jumping into todays topic, I would like to show something very fresh out of the oven, based on your feedback last week. This is why we are doing these Tinto Talks, to make Project Caesar your game as much as ours...

WTF Johan :argh:

That said, the proximity system is exactly what I'd want to see, making smaller and compact states relatively more powerful/making snowballing slower.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

It should have been a scythe and a mallet. :colbert:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Poil posted:

It should have been a scythe and a mallet. :colbert:
I'm just anti-sword, so I'll join the pro-scythe and mallet rebels.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Also, in a bit of self-promotion, I've just posted the vote for the next Anbennar campaign in my LP thread, for those who are interested:

Sybot posted:

Vote: The Tides of Change

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I know they did the province vs location post earlier and talked about how they've borrowed from Vicky 3's subdividable states to be able to have 30 000 locations for you to lovingly click but

geez that's a lot of granularity. Even with the well known Paradox Sweden bias. Hopefully Catalonia is equally showered with love.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

On one hand that is VERY impressive. On the other I can hear my cpu crying.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
The individual locations seem to be about the size of Andorra. Which, Johan said, is on the map as a playable tag, by the way.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Xerophyte posted:

I know they did the province vs location post earlier and talked about how they've borrowed from Vicky 3's subdividable states to be able to have 30 000 locations for you to lovingly click but

geez that's a lot of granularity. Even with the well known Paradox Sweden bias. Hopefully Catalonia is equally showered with love.

Honestly the power move would have been to make Catalonia absurdly dense and then make all of Sweden like three provinces :v:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Honestly the power move would have been to make Catalonia absurdly dense and then make all of Sweden like three provinces :v:
This would just make Sweden more powerful.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Poil posted:

On one hand that is VERY impressive. On the other I can hear my cpu crying.

Looking forward to the inevitable Voltaire's Nightmare mod melting all cpus made before 2035 :v:

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Detheros posted:

Looking forward to the inevitable Voltaire's Nightmare mod melting all cpus made before 2035 :v:

Every single square kilometer is its own location. Some pops consist of a single family on a farm.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Xerophyte posted:

hope they return to the old rebel mechanic with this, the good old days when even a random province with 3% unrest would spontaneously revolt

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
One tidbit from the forum posts is that one possibility for revolt is tags fully declaring independence and needing to be reconquered, and that low control feeds into that somehow

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Detheros posted:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

:sickos:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_states_in_the_Holy_Roman_Empire

quote:

In the 18th century, the Holy Roman Empire consisted of approximately 1,800 such territories, the majority being tiny estates owned by the families of Imperial Knights.

I can't loving wait

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Trois Eveches WC achievement.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sybot posted:

Tinto Talks #6

Covering 'control', the mechanic replacing autonomy, and how it is modified by proximity to the capital, rivers and maritime presence.

It also ties into the markets system, which sounds as though it is a lot more dynamic than trade in previous entries with the possibility of provinces locations switching market.

this poo poo is so MEIOU it hurts

but it's the good part of MEIOU not the RSI-inducing part

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
The start date is from before the golden bull... it's freaking soy!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

One tidbit from the forum posts is that one possibility for revolt is tags fully declaring independence and needing to be reconquered, and that low control feeds into that somehow

Yeah similar to Imperator right?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

That sounds excellent honestly

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Thats how it works in Vicky3 too but I dislike it because its arbitrary and you as the player have effectively zero control about separatist rebels. You get a notifier that it is going to happen soon, a bar fills up, then the new country pops out and is at war with you but... there is all of 1 ineffective action you can take to try to make it stop.

If it is engaging gameplay i'm fine with it but it cant just be some arbitrary FYI "the Sami separatists in northern Sweden have seceded and created their own state" because I'll hate it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 4, 2024

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I can only hope the way to prevent it is "leave some garrison troops there".

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Thats how it works in Vicky3 too but I dislike it because its arbitrary and you as the player have effectively zero control about separatist rebels. You get a notifier that it is going to happen soon, a bar fills up, then the new country pops out and is at war with you but... there is all of 1 ineffective action you can take to try to make it stop.

If it is engaging gameplay i'm fine with it but it cant just be some arbitrary FYI "the Sami separatists in northern Sweden have seceded and created their own state" because I'll hate it.

It was better in Imperator and you had a lot of granular control over making it now happen

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

I can only hope the way to prevent it is "leave some garrison troops there".

In V3, they get peacefully sent on the boat home when the event triggers. :thumbsup:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I wonder if it would make sense in the early game to have essentially two cultures, court culture and realm culture, and on monarch death (or Stability drop below 0?) any vassal or directly controlled province not part of either becomes an "unruly vassal", paying no income or troop support until "reined in", and any unruly vassals become independent on monarch death.

So for England, which is English realm culture and French Court culture, their French and English holdings are secure, but their Irish provinces and vassals begin the two-step process of breaking away any time the king dies, and then you've got a ticking time bomb to get those vassals reined in again before your new ruler dies. This way it's not completely out of your control as a player, since you get time to halt the slide into independence.

I'm imagining an "unruly vassal" as more or less like an independent state except that you get no AE from reining them in and making them a full vassal again. Maybe some other modifications.

Then you could give the HRE some mechanics around this. Perhaps in the HRE your realm and court culture vassals become unruly too, but unruly vassals can't become fully independent. Add some reforms that allow you to collect some taxation from unruly vassals (ala the Reichspfennig) and make essentially the entire HRE unruly and you have I think a good working model for the HRE in history--notionally one realm but in practice internally divided and disorganised. You could then represent the Shadow Kingdom stuff by letting Italian culture vassals become fully independent, so you need to get them reined in quick or they'll slide out of the HRE, similar to how it works now but with a more universal game mechanic backing it up.

And then as time progresses and your administrative capacity grows you can exert steadily greater control to the point where automatic independence ceases, then automatic unruly vassalship ceases, and finally you can directly hold foreign culture provinces indefinitely.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It'd also kinda neat if somehow "provinces" weren't the set things they are, so England kinda ruling over parts of France and there being overlapping jurisdictions and authorities that gradually firms up as the game goes on and things become more set.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

historically speaking realm culture only mattered as much as how far you could dehumanise them, for example william the conqueror started the “harrying of the north” and butchered as many people as needed to keep a lid on things, and even today many of the larger landowners can trace their lineage back to this event

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I decided to give old Byzantium a run and it's been going decently well, I pulled off an ok first war with the Ottomans leaving me hideously in debt when during the truce I finally got lucky. Venice got into a war with Serbia and Wallachia which isn't really all that great by itself but Ottomans also decided to vent their frustrations on them and when I declared I also pulled Hungary in against them. Venice was allied with Genoa so I was able to snatch Ragusa, Crete and all the Aegean islands from both of them. Thats when goddamn Constantine XI decided to celebrate these gains by loving dying with no heirs causing Russia and Hungary to go to war over my fucken throne! To add insult to injury a Rurikovich is the new emperor, it pissed me off so much that I reloaded a save and made Constantine pull an heir out of his rear end, and now I have a really lovely heir with low legitimacy and really stupid name.

Johan, if you are reading this, I blame you personally for this situation! IRL Constantine had like 7 brothers so lack of male heirs wasn't one of the million problems they had to face back then.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Sekenr posted:

I decided to give old Byzantium a run and it's been going decently well, I pulled off an ok first war with the Ottomans leaving me hideously in debt when during the truce I finally got lucky. Venice got into a war with Serbia and Wallachia which isn't really all that great by itself but Ottomans also decided to vent their frustrations on them and when I declared I also pulled Hungary in against them. Venice was allied with Genoa so I was able to snatch Ragusa, Crete and all the Aegean islands from both of them. Thats when goddamn Constantine XI decided to celebrate these gains by loving dying with no heirs causing Russia and Hungary to go to war over my fucken throne! To add insult to injury a Rurikovich is the new emperor, it pissed me off so much that I reloaded a save and made Constantine pull an heir out of his rear end, and now I have a really lovely heir with low legitimacy and really stupid name.

Johan, if you are reading this, I blame you personally for this situation! IRL Constantine had like 7 brothers so lack of male heirs wasn't one of the million problems they had to face back then.

Bruh, you could have had 2.5th Rome.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Sekenr posted:

I decided to give old Byzantium a run and it's been going decently well, I pulled off an ok first war with the Ottomans leaving me hideously in debt when during the truce I finally got lucky.

Always take money and war reps from the ottomans, they're not quite the Bank of Ming but they're loaded

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
With current byz you pretty much have to spend 500 ducats from that war on churches so it ends up not paying all that much overall. I would much rather stay in debt than keep the union of churches past the opener

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
that reminds me of my meiou and taxes 2.5 game where I finally got a hang of the game but the palagios emperors died and the new emperor was a basarab.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Something I’ve always wondered, in the production interface macro builder thing, why does it default to sort provinces by “# of available building slots” when building a Manufactory instead of, like, sorting by income?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Something I’ve always wondered, in the production interface macro builder thing, why does it default to sort provinces by “# of available building slots” when building a Manufactory instead of, like, sorting by income?
In case you want to build multiple ones probably.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/tinto-talks-7-10th-of-april.1662356/

New Tinto Talks. Mostly about taxation

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
What is this monthly income nonsense. We need yearly income so I can pretend to budget again.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

The tax stuff is pretty straight forward but I'm real interested in the hints at stuff for future dev diaries like colonial charters and Age Of Renaissance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I cannot wait to tax the poo poo out of my clergy and nobles