Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The sub is great, no hassle cancelling or anything. I'd definitely recommend it if (like me) you only play the game like once a year at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, sub is easily the best option if you haven't been buying the DLCs as they came out, in which case you've been paying an interminent sub anyway.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I came into eu4 late enough that the sub was available for me from the start; it's going to be a rude awakening switching to eu5

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I've been using it for Stellaris after not playing for a year or so, it's real good.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I want eu5 to somehow model the first Portuguese trading ships to reach India having absolutely nothing worthwhile to trade to the locals and having to blow through all their gold and silver to purchase anything. A bunch of mid quality wool cloth and disgusting tubs of butter that have been baking in the equatorial heat for a year.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/tinto-talks-10-1st-of-may-2024.1673745/

"Let's start with the markets themselves. These are dynamic and will change through the playthrough, as countries can create new markets and disband their old if they so desire."

It has begun.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
Leaving the trade in the hands of the AI is a welcome option. What I like most about EU4's trade system is that you have both the option to really delve into it (and optimize it to generate more profits) and just arrange some merchants into a line and build them some buildings and it will still be good enough for increasing your money.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Zedhe Khoja posted:

I want eu5 to somehow model the first Portuguese trading ships to reach India having absolutely nothing worthwhile to trade to the locals and having to blow through all their gold and silver to purchase anything. A bunch of mid quality wool cloth and disgusting tubs of butter that have been baking in the equatorial heat for a year.

:haibrow:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The HRE in the map Iin that link is glorious

France is pretty good too

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

are the sea tiles coastal provinces, actual provinces or just a graphical overhang?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jel Shaker posted:

are the sea tiles coastal provinces, actual provinces or just a graphical overhang?

Johan clarified in the comments; sea tiles adjacent to land belong to the same market as the adjacent land tile. I'm not sure how this matters, though

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Probably something to do with naval blockades or piracy or something?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Box wine posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/tinto-talks-10-1st-of-may-2024.1673745/

"Let's start with the markets themselves. These are dynamic and will change through the playthrough, as countries can create new markets and disband their old if they so desire."

It has begun.

Not sure if they posted a political map of the HRE yet but you can make out the borders here

lol, man

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
France and Italy are also beautiful. You can see Scotland is in the middle of a civil war (modeled at two countries!)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It's not just the HRE, most of Europe seems pretty divided.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Another thing I noticed: the channel islands are a separate area. In eu4, they're part of the neighboring French province, so it's impossible to get the historical outcome where England keeps the channel islands while losing their continental holdings

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wonder if markets will get renamed if the province/city they are named after changes. It's probably not worth the time and effort programming-wise but it'd be neat.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Poil posted:

I wonder if markets will get renamed if the province/city they are named after changes?

They will; they're always named after the area they're centered on. This can also change if you just move the trade center of the market (perhaps to capture more lucrative areas in the market)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That sounds pretty cool. :toot:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Are they still pretending this isn't EUV?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gaius Marius posted:

It's gonna be such an improvement that they're gonna call it EUVI

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

They're gonna call it Europa UniVersalis

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

I mean they have not announced EUV yet.

But other than that, no not really. Johan's linked trailers for EUIV in these posts, he's responded to questions calling it EUV, etc.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

what about this... TERRA universalis

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Paradox Tinto is making this, so it's clearly Cinco de Universalis.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Terra Generalis

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I wouldn't be super shocked if they changed the name just because they've put a lot of effort in to make the game less Eurocentric over the years, but it's hard to throw a recognizable name in the trash, so I still wouldn't bet on it.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Universalis Universalis

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

like how they changed yakuza to like a dragon when it became more dragon focused

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The sort of weird half-announcement does seem to have mostly worked at keeping it out of the public eye while still interfacing with active fans, as far as I can tell.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Oh there's eu4 dlc coming out next week. Inca something. Hope it's good :)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Playing the new Exwes mission tree in the bitbucket version of Anbennar. I'm the Emperor and my old ruler just died and my powerful mage heir took over. He rolled legendary in necromancy. Time to see what happens if the Emperor becomes a lich!

Also the new Lorent setup is interesting. In my game their vassals all broke free and now Lencenor is a thunderdome

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 2, 2024

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The new Gnolls are gonna be great when they get the full loc.

Same with the drake riding Orcs.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

oddium posted:

like how they changed yakuza to like a dragon when it became more dragon focused
Swedish Mercenaries Disgusting Bartenders

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Anbennar question, why do I have 2 different versions of Feast of the Gods? They give the exact same bonuses but listed in a different order.

e: Is this because I reformed the religion? Haven't done a native run in awhile.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's how reformed religions are handled to allow for reuse of reformation mechanics.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Started a new campaign as France and wound up as Emperor of the HRE :toot: I always gently caress up the religious wars in the protestant reformation. How do I keep from getting curb stomped when the reformation kicks off?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Dirk Pitt posted:

Started a new campaign as France and wound up as Emperor of the HRE :toot: I always gently caress up the religious wars in the protestant reformation. How do I keep from getting curb stomped when the reformation kicks off?

you can cheese it by declaring on the very first person to join the very day the leagues become available

barring exploits I'm not sure there's an answers besides 'get gud'; it's bigger than other wars but not fundamentally different

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

You strangle the reformation in the crib. If the center of reformation is in an OPM you force religion on them via war. If it's in a bigger country you reduce them to an OPM with just the COR province left and force religion or you conquer it and wait the X years before you can convert it. Do that six times and the reformation is donezo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow
Terra Universalis will surely be a classic Paradox trash fire on release. However lol that it already looks to be doing Vicky 3 stuff better than Vicky 3.