Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

The older trees are definitely lacking compared to the new stuff that's being put out. Paradox redid the French tree after redoing them a few years ago.

The only thing that bugs me about permanent claims is that is does dilute the power of diplomats, because now I can just have them all improving relations instead of worrying about maintaining claims. But that does kind of go away if you use the holy war CB or make it to imperialism anyway.

Edit: I kind of hope they redo the Austrian tree before they finish working on EU4. There my favorite country and I'd like to see them with a mission tree that varies.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

You can hover over the liberty desire and it gives the rundown of what is causing it. I suspect another strong country is supporting their independence though, it adds their military to the vassal's liberty desire.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

You could give them more provinces too.There is a -1% chance for each province they have.

https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Personal_union

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 7, 2023

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Been playing in South America as Cusco to Inca trying to get the Sun God achievement but I don't think I'm going to be able to make it to embracing all institutions because it's just so empty here. It's not even the lack of missions that bugs me, just the lack of completion of the area.

After consolidating the Incan land, I basically just waited around for like 40 years for Europe to show up. Nobody to interact with except for Muisca. I ended up taking exploration to explore the new world and get the map but for some reason natives can't "Hunt for the Seven Cities" aka auto explore, so I switched to expansion.

Once the Europeans showed up and spent all that time colonizing, they proceeded to not care about their colonies at all and I was able to steamroll them with no European intervention. I was able to get tech parity really fast too and had renaissance embraced before I even knew what Europe was.

I guess I could try to do a sunset invasion but I'm not getting more intel on the map like I do in Europe as time goes by so basically all I know is that some countries have capitals on another continent.

Are there any good mods for South America? The area seems like it could be really interesting if some more effort was put into it.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I did this No-CB last night to try it out and it still works pretty well. The Ottomans are now listed as a historical rival to the Austrians so I think they will rival you every game. I restarted 5 or so times just to see but they rivaled me each time.

The main problem I had was actually starting the war to fast. If Byzantium doesn't have any allies, they won't ask for military access from the Ottomans because their fleet is stronger than Austrias and they can transport their troops without military access.

After a couple months Byzantium always allied Serbia, Wallachia, or Herzegovina who would get access from the Ottomans to consolidate there troops with Byzantium so you can reach Constantinople then. I just kept an eye out for the alliance to form and then declared.

One time the Ottomans ended up declaring on Byzantium to and I got into a defensive war, but the second time I sieged Constantinople so fast they didn't even bother to declare war.

Stairmaster posted:

When doing a no-cb like that, do you bother waiting for the adm to make up the stab loss

I just declared whenever and didn't look at having enough admin but I had enough to boost it to -1 immediately and was back at 0 stab by the end of the war.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 18, 2023

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Aethernet posted:

Also shift clicking provinces. Amazing stuff.

Game changer. 10/10 tip.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

It's been pretty hard this patch to get Burgundy. I've been playing all the European major countries to get the achievements for their mission trees and Burgundy keeps going to some random OPM in Italy or the HRE. No Burgundy, Saluzzo wont defend you.

France is really hard because they want your provinces so Burgundy is really hostile.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Been playing this game for years and I fell into that newb trap. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong and was even using curry favors to get trust to 100. I would usually wait to receive the royal marriage request because I'm lazy moving diplomats.

Thanks for the explanation, I had no idea that made a difference. Gonna be getting Burgundy a lot more now.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

First game I played after getting the advice as Aragon going to form Rome, I got the Burgundian Inheritance because I SENT the royal marriage. Can't believe it was that simple.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Castile to Spain usually goes pretty hard in the new world in my games but I'm assuming you were keeping them in check as Portugal. I don't usually see Inca form because Spain has claims in that area but occasionally there are some pretty large North American federations. Not as often as a few patches ago though. If you're talking about the colonies being attacked and annexed by natives you get a notice that somebody declared war on your colony, and you can enforce peace to join in if they don't just give up their war. Great Britain and France don't colonize as much as they used to IMO but I could be wrong about that.

No idea what happened with Mexico and Mexican culture though.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

Tbh I wouldn't mind if they just keep updating eu4 forever and never make eu5. There's almost no chance launch eu5 will be better than eu4+dlcs

Agreed. They're going to drop a ton of stuff when EU5 comes out just like CK3. Still can't really play that one over CK2.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

That would be a pretty ambitious start and would overlap with CK3 by over 100 years. Would be interesting to see how the maps develop differently though.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

I suppose it's that i am much less interested in the game's historicity, and already look at eu4's bloat and think "what does this not need". Complicated merc management is a step towards extra micro that i don't think any of us really want.

Although maybe i'm generalizing? Does anyone here pay attention to condottieri opportunities? Do people regularly use spy actions like sabotage rep and slander merchants? Wait until winter is over before invading england?

I know these games are considered bloated, but I don't really know what these games are without all the options. All the micro is what keeps me coming back for 1000s of hours. All that stuff you mentioned are things I don't use every playthrough but sometimes I do use them depending on what country or how I'm playing a country.

I like how the game can be played without using all those features each time but it's also fun to see people use the mechanics fully to completely break the game. Too much streamlining and it's just not interesting enough to keep me coming back.

Edit: Like I want them to put enough stuff into the game that playing at normal speed feels "normal" or even a bit fast.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 27, 2024

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Stability being abstract kind of represents things that are just outside of the ruler's control. The comet event is just something that you can't deal with because of the beliefs of the time that they were bad omens. Or like having someone declared a saint is something you don't really have control over, but it improves the countries stability.

It could be replaced but I think there should be some parts of a country's stability should be completely removed from the player's control. No matter how well you feed your population, manage manpower or play the game, that drat comet is still a bad omen.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Through sheer force of personality, they keep the society constant. But yeah, it doesn't really make a lot of sense and a rework is a good idea. I think there should be parts of the reworked stability you just can't control was my main point from that previous post.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Red Bones posted:

What you're asking for there then is not actually the 'stability' modifier: it's to have a random event fire that gives the player a negative malus that they can't avoid. I'm just arguing that it's kind of unnecessarily complex at this point to have an abstract "stability of the country" -3 to +3 modifier, when there's already a bunch of mechanics that collectively simulate the internal status (and thus the stability) of the country. Is there a reason the comet couldn't give a blanket modifier to public unrest? Or make all the estates unhappy? Or give your army a temporary moral debuff?

And again, the stability value in-game isn't removed from the player's control: they pay admin points to change it. It's the random events firing that are out of the player's control, and you can have random malus events without a "stability" variable.

I like the idea of the stability modifier being a combination of all those parts. Just having a number or 0-100% to put a representation on how stable my country is. It doesn't need to be a modifier that I can directly influence by spending admin points like in EU4 though. I actually think that would be good to get rid of because it feels kind of gamey in a bad way.

I just like all the numbers and modifiers in EU4 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Has there been any information on release dates? They are releasing the final EU4 dlc next month right?