Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Jay Rust posted:

It's been out for like ten minutes

on average, would you say those minutes have been worth 50 cents each

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Koramei posted:

drat, it's that bad?

I think it's pretty good personally, filthyrobot asks good questions and that helps avoid a lot of the pitfalls of these kind of tutorials

the main drawback is that it's insanely long (because it's an EUIV game played at tutorial/heavy discussion pace), but it's not like you need to watch the whole thing

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

bird money

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

unwantedplatypus posted:

What is the issue that some people have with monarch points? They're a lot loving better than the slider hell of EU 3

is anyone complaining about monarch points? I only see people complaining about the names people give monarch points, and also professionalism/drill

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

Basically everyone is down with MP being a thing.

This thread gets annoyed when Monarch Points (MPs) are referred to as "paper/bird/sword mana" because we're pedants and that is extremely dumb.

They should properly be referred to as ADM/DIP/MIL points. This isn't an RPG, there's no mana, what are you even talking about.

There is also an effort to distinguish us from the official Paradox forums which tend to be full of weird nationalists and reactionaries.

edit: see also, referring to the Ottomans as "kebab"

I mean the difference there is that one of those is a lovely racist nickname and the other is completely fine

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Flavius Belisarius posted:

I miss the plutocracy/aristocracy etc. sliders from EU2.

why

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Mountaineer posted:

Your reward for having max crown authority is directly controlling all of your land upon conversion, otherwise you might end up with some vassal nations.

I think all you need for that is more than min crown authority (at least according to the wiki)

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

skasion posted:

Depending on whether you choose to take over France or not, England is either a really fun hectic start that soon becomes insanely strong or a fun laid-back start that slowly becomes slightly less insanely strong.

is it still like eu3 where you had to give up your french land at the start if you weren't going for total french destruction?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

I've been trying to figure out a fun state to do a Shia Republic thing with, because they get +0.5RT as a passive religion bonus, which is goddamn crazy. I could always do one of those silly custom nation achievements.

start as one of the nations with a 0.5 RT bonus, convert to shia, take the two policies that give RT and re-elect your ruler indefinitely while still gaining tradition?

(actually you can probably still do this with only the +0.4 policy, since the -0.1 a year you lose will be balanced by your leaders occasionally dying without being re-elected)

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

reignonyourparade posted:

holy poo poo that they're making isle of mann it's own province and tag who on earth is asking for that?

me

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Jeoh posted:

This but unironically.

no irony here, friend

my favourite CK2 run was as the titular kingdom of mann & the isles, I love trampling things with my three bizarrely-placed legs

e: my ideal patch would be one that removes byzantium and adds mann

Jeb Bush 2012 fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jan 17, 2018

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

The Third Mann: As Mann, form Russia.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

To Serve Mann: Have Mann as your overlord.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

What is a Mann?: As Mann, have 100 spy network strength on five other countries at once.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Senor Dog posted:

They’d have to do some crazy heavy handed wizardry to ensure USA, Brazil, et al actually show up. But yeah this could be fun

some extra dynamism in how the colonial revolutions go would be a very good thing IMO. who needs the USA to show up in its real world form every game

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

putting in a bug report to request "innovative ideas" be renamed "innovativeness ideas"

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm surprised because I get Zero feedback from the game about why I lost and I have the distinct impression that heavies are supposed to be good.

sounds like a paradox game alright

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I dunno I still have fun just playing normally without trying to overly game-ify and min/max everything.

I'm always amazed by how many people consider it unreasonable that other people like to play paradox's "grand strategy games" as, well, strategy games

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

It is!

It’s launch was really bad but it’s easily top three paradox games now.

nah, they've made lots of good smart changes, but they still haven't fixed the awful grind of starbase & tile development

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah it’s good, flawed but so are they all.

lots of games are "flawed" but the bit of stellaris that sucks is like 90% of what the game wants you to interact with at any given time

e: basically stellaris's economy works a lot like a classic RTS economy, and just like those basically everything you do in the game is less important than how well you keep up with developing stuff on time / not letting resources accumulate too much / not wasting resources by queuing up a bunch of stuff etc. but unlike your starcrafts and so on, this is a slow-paced pausable strategy game, so the core mechanic ends up being a big tedium vs. performance tradeoff

which is maybe fine if you just want to play the game as a simulator but really sucks if you want to play it as a strategy game

Jeb Bush 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 5, 2018

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Poil posted:

Yeah it's definitely worth to check out and you can't really do it as many other countries since it's locked to the spawning in the British Isles.

does that mean the irish can do it or is it just great britain?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Firebatgyro posted:

Anyone in the GB culture group (irish/scottish/welsh/etc) can get it, you have to have 10+ provinces to fire it though.

irish minors are in the celtic culture group, not british, unless this has changed with the new patch

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

Forts don't do anything to help your armies, they just restrict movement until they're sieged down

Don't they guarantee you get defender bonuses regardless of who actually gets to the province first?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

this would make a cool custom new world

https://twitter.com/onlmaps/status/987810737778147328

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Actually Historically Realistic supply lines / attrition / etc. would probably not be super fun, but the game badly needs some better abstractions to simulate their effects

it's pretty wacky that there are more restrictions on establishing your first trading post somewhere than there are on sending your entire army

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

it was even worse in eu2, where sending a merchant to a full node would not get you one but instead would knock off an existing merchant, so micro-managing the timing of your merchant sends was super-important

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Groogy posted:

Does not sound like inherently broken. It sounds more like "are superior to other land but not as good as directly controlled land with full benefits"

I have no pre-existing opinion on trade companies but "they're not broken because they're worse than having an infinite state cap" is not as compelling an argument as you seem to think it is

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Groogy posted:

My argument was nothing of the kind, I asked the guy on why it was broken and he responded with things of how it does not work or an exploit that is definitely wrong and I'll fix that first thing in the morning if I can reproduce it.

I quoted the argument I was responding to, so I don't know why you're confused, but here it is again:

Groogy posted:

Does not sound like inherently broken. It sounds more like "are superior to other land but not as good as directly controlled land with full benefits"

Maybe you accidentally posted that when you meant to post something else but it is definitely a thing you posted

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Groogy posted:

I don't see anywhere in what you quoted where I am saying that trade companies are worse than having an infinite state cap. I specifically agreed on that RabidWeasel main point of TC's being better than just pure territories. That doesn't magically make me make a comparison with an infinite state cap. Whatever an infinite state cap is because that hasn't been part of the discussion at all, as far as I know none of us promoted in any way that the game should let you have infinite amount of states.

The point is that you're arguing that TCs aren't broken by comparing TC provinces to stated provinces, which only tells you how using TCs compares to having an infinite state cap. No-one is accusing you of "promoting in any way that the game should let you have infinite amount of states" or whatever

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Wait, so it was doomed from the start because the AI will always let the Shadow kingdom happen?

what the gently caress

if I'm reading the event correctly, it won't fire as long as all the relevant regions are in the HRE from 1490-1550. taking the decision (which requires being the emperor) just lets you lock it in early if you ever get the right regions in

e:

"The Shadow Kingdom posted:

The year is at least 1490, but before 1550.
The country:

has its capital in Italy.
is a member of the Holy Roman Empire.
does not have an overlord that:
is a member of the HRE.
has a Germanic primary culture or is the emperor of the HRE.
At least 1 province of the areas Tuscany, Emilia-Romagna, Liguria, Piedmont or Lombardy or Urbino (2977), Ancona (119), Umbria (2976), Verona (108), Treviso (1774), Friuli (111) or Roma (118) is not part of the HRE.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

Leviathan is such a weird name for an EU4 expac, is there some history thing Im missing?

it's a famous work of 17th century political theory https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leviathan_(Hobbes_book)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

No? Not sure what's so hard to understand here. You pay for access, not ownership. Once you stop paying the subscription, you lose all access. It's like Game Pass (or netflix, or any other digital subscription service ever), but for EU4 and its DLC only.

you'd think so, but for a long time D&D 4e had a subscription service where you could subscribe for a month, get access to all the mechanical content they'd ever released for the game, cancel, and keep it

unsurprisingly that's what everyone did and so they eventually changed it