Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yesterday I bought Golden Century and decided to play a game of Portugal, with the goal colonizing and exploring a lot and not making much war (the least I have to). Colonize the Americas, maybe some Asia, maybe make Brazil and then switch to it, I never did that.

But is been a while I play EU4, Im kinda lost. What national ideas should I pick? Seems like they changed a bit from last time I played, or maybe I just forgot everything, but I cant decide. I started with exploration to have a head start in colonization, then I got innovation cause it always seems like a good early pick to me. Now I dont know what get next

I also rushed Renaissance with development, although Im not entirely sure it was worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

TorakFade posted:

Well, for peaceful colonization you can't go wrong with expansion (mandatory really - should've been your first admin policy for the extra colonists) and diplomacy to make friends in Europe. Later, when you're established, trade can help you really rack in the cash from your huge empire. For military ideas whatever you like, quantity is good to spread armies everywhere in the world, quality makes your troops better vs both europeans and natives / local people and has some nice policies, offensive is always good as is defensive but you're looking for a peaceful game so I'd also seriously consider aristocracy ideas for the extra diplomat which is always useful and general boosts.

Yeah it's fine don't sweat it. You'll probably found Colonialism or at least get it really quickly thanks to your CNs so you won't have to develop for that at least, and you should have a seriously good province/provinces now that will get institutions quickly :v:

Stay on the good side of Castile/Spain and steal all their potential colonial territory by being there first and powersettling as many colonies at a time you can afford to found a colonial nation, so you Treaty de Tordesillas their sorry rear end and move on to the next region (only works in the new world though). I'd get Caribbean first, then work on all of south america / ivory coast / south africa and leave North America to England and France.

Also stay on the good side of the Pope too for that to work, but that's easy when you have a diplomat kissing his rear end 24/7.

If you haven't played in a while, take a good look at the missions, they give nice rewards and claims, and generally direct your gameplay in fun ways!

Thanks for the hints

I guess Im taking expansion next, Ive already took the innovation ideas to lower idea and tech cost, now I can leave it alone and use my adm points on getting expansion. Im allied with Castile and will, with their help, conquer Tangiers, now that Morocco lost their allies and was crushed by a bunch of wars

The missions are cool, Ive already finished a bunch of then.

Where are the areas most likely to have gold provinces? I remember central america and the Inca region is packed with gold, but if I recall some can be also found in Africa and Brazil

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Fister Roboto posted:

https://eu4.paradoxwikis.com/Trade_goods#Trade_goods_spawn

Scroll down to gold and it will show you the regions where it's highly likely to spawn, and the regions where it can't.

Thank you a lot

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
So Im Portugal, Spain has been under me as a junior partner in a personal union for centuries now, and we got very good relations (and they have very low liberty desire)

All of a sudden, Mexico, one of my CNs, which also have low liberty desire, declares an independence war on me, with Spain as its ally

Wtf? Is there any way I can prevent that (reloading, of course)? Maybe I can beat them, maybe I cant, but still is gonna be a huge wasteful war that I dont feel like fighting, and in any case Ill lose Spain, which is the main deterrent I have against France and GB, who rivaled me

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:00 on May 15, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

MaxieSatan posted:

Missions are unrelated to Splendor, as a rule. Each Age has its own set of conditions that generate it, which can be viewed in the same Age screen that lets you choose your bonuses

Dumb question: what is Splendor? Im at the end of a game, the first I play in a while, and I noticed the ages (it was new to me), I dont think I saw anything called splendor. Maybe is related to some DLC I dont have?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Sometimes I even leave wars entirely to vassals.

Specially in the Americas, after I get some big colonial nations going, I will use then to conquer all those small native nations. I declare a war, I mark each province each CN should conquer, and I go do something else while they war for me

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I haven't bothered to add or delete estates from provinces since they stopped caring about having whatever % of my state development. I don't think I would gain that much from doing it since all my states are low-autonomy and I went over my state limit long ago. Right now I'm trying to just conquer a lot of poo poo as Ottomans but this pretty much describes all my games.

I will still push the buttons once in a while and try to keep loyalty high so I get the bonuses, but that's as much as I want to interact with estates.

:same:

Is a very unfun mechanic

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Everyone talking about their issues with the way the Americas are modeled inspired me to go back and do some work on a native overhaul mod that I had barely started. First item on the list is simply filling the Americas entirely with First Nations, and renaming certain tribes so they aren't called by their exonyms (like my people, both Mohawk and Iroquois Confederacy are exonyms, we call ourselves the Kanienkehaka of the Haudenosaunee). Then I'll have to better model some of the culture groups and add some others that don't exist.

My ultimate goal is to accurately portray the effects of disease on the native population, possibly by increasing starting dev in the Americas and scripting events that can decimate it after first contact, including completely depopulating provinces that lose enough dev. Another thought would be to have events that empty manpower pools or something of that nature.

Anyways, that's all in the very distant future if I ever get to it at all. Here's what I've done so far, if people are interested it may help to keep my motivation up.

Also does anyone know of a way to mod out the need for European contact to reform and/or embrace Feudalism?

Seems really cool

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

I like that

I always felt the EU (and maybe CK too) had a glaring hole where population should be, that gets in the way of making you feel like you are in control of a real nation, not some abstract entity that consists of a king, armies that pop out of the ether and floating mana reserves

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Gaius Marius posted:

They're talking about the leap from CKI to II

I suppose the point is: Imperator is the sequel