Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I decided to try to form the HRE (again), and so far it is one of my most entertaining games yet.

I'm Austria, I've done all the usual Austria early game stuff (PU'd Hungary and Bohemia, beaten Venice up for their lunch money a couple of times), when my heir suddenly dies. No big deal, my Emperor is only 40 and his wife is 32, they're bound to knock out a Emperorling sooner or later. Nope, the next loving month my 40 year old Emperor dies. Because I have no heir, I can't be elected Emperor, so loving Hesse becomes Emperor. My new leader is some 1/2/1 dipshit from a family I've never heard of, I am now 20 over my force limit, and some no-name OPM is Emperor of the loving HRE. I'm mad as hell.

I consider just no-CBing Hesse, vassalizing them, and forcing a re-election, but my legitimacy is now so low thanks to my bungled succession that only Bohemia, my minor partner, will vote for me, despite good relations with all the electors. I decide to just wait until the Emperor dies, at which point my Legitimacy will have healed, and I'll easily win the election. About two months later, the Emperor dies, and Hesse is re-elected - And a loving 18 year old is crowned Emperor. I've got no time for that.

I've had enough of this Hessian Emperor bullshit. I no-CB the Pallatine and Saxony, and Vassalize them. I've now got three Electors in my pocket. I then no-CB Hesse, and vassalize them. A election is held, and my incompetent 1/2/1 dipshit is crowned Emperor (short may he reign). Of course, all of this no-CBing means that the entire HRE, as well as a few Italian states, form a giant coalition against me. I misjudged their strength horribly - I believed that the combined strength of Austria and my partners, as well as my allies in Poland and Castille would be enough to deter them from declaring on me.

Nope. The coalition attacks me. Half of Europe is now at war with the other half. A couple of battles hit 100 thousand troops per side, which is by far the largest I've seen in the 15h Century. I eventually lose, and am forced to release Styria and two other OPMs in the Balkans.

But, I'm Emperor again. And I still have unions with Bohemia and Hungary. And all it cost was a couple of hundred thousand dead soldiers and a few illegitimate wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Did they change Centers of Reformation? I thought you were only supposed to get three for each branch. I'm squashing my fifth Protestant one now.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Poil posted:

Did you crush any before all 3 had spawned? The game might not flag it properly until there are 3 centers at the same time. Just a guess. :shrug:

At this point I've had all three centers for both Reformed and Protestant on at least two separate occasions. I've been playing COR-whack-a-mole for the past 100 years, and I've probably removed ten or so of each. :shrug:

e: I just converted one in Bavaria and one instantly popped up again in Saxony, wtf

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Well, that explains a whole loving lot.

On the bright side, I guess my next attempt at a HRE run will feel trivially easy.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Heh, look at this guy who isn't the #1 superpower by 1500 in every game :smug:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I downloaded the beta patch, and it fixed the endless Centers of Reformation, and I'm now finishing mopping up the heresy from the HRE. My IA is finally growing again.

That bug was kind of fun though. The 16th century was an unbroken chain of hateful religious wars. It was hectic as hell.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Just got Cossacks. The estates seem to be a straight up power increase. You sacrifice a little autonomy in some provinces and in return you can shake them up for monarch points every now and again.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

It feels like the AI is way too willing to honor alliances. For instance, Saxony is a OPM minor in my HRE game. I wanted to Force Religion them in a war, but they were allied with the Ottomans, and gently caress that. So I just declared war on one of the other lovely OPMs they were allied to, forced them to Annul their alliance, and then declared war on one of their other lovely allies, and Force Religion'd them in that war. I didn't even have to wait down the truce timer from the first war.

It feels like a tiny nation shouldn't be so willing to get into a ally war that is very clearly hopeless from the get go. Austria, who has most of Europe east of Vienna vassalized or in a union is attacking my ally, and we have three provinces and ten thousand troops between us? Hell yeah dog let's do this, no way this can go wrong

It just makes it so easy to get around alliances. Ditto with Protector of the Faith. The UK was the POF for the Protestants, which should present a huge problem for purging the HRE, but they were not once dragged into my religion wars, because I simply declared war on one of the target's Catholic or Reformed allies.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Welp, I guess I can finally stop playing Austria. This is on my sixth or seventh attempt at forming the HRE.

It is kind of disappointing that you are actually way more powerful on the second final HRE reform (the one that vassalizes all the HRE members). I made them all marches, and declared war on Aragon and the UK - My vassals ate them almost single handedly.

When I passed the last reform, and all these vassal armies became my armies, I was at 630/230 force limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I am playing as Yemen, with Ethiopia as my main rival. Ethiopia declares war on me, and I don't feel great about that because they have 30k soldiers, with 10k excess manpower. I have only 20k, with 20k excess manpower. We have technological parity.

At first I planned to just blockade the Red Sea, preventing them from hopping over, but I then realized that their only idea group was Religious, while I had Defensive, giving me a huge morale bonus over them.

This meant I felt comfortable baiting them into attacking me. I won the battle despite being outnumbered. I did this a couple of times until their manpower was completely depleted, and then occupied all of Ethiopia, and razed all the provinces I didn't plan to take in the peace deal. Ethiopia is now effectively done for and I have almost complete control of the Gulf of Aden trade node.

I actually managed to translate knowledge of game mechanics into results and feel good at the game. :shobon: