Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

skasion posted:

Nah, the CK2-style “this is what your nation is like” popup. It’s neat.

Just started a new campaign and yeah, the screen is pretty neat. For Yemen it gives a nice brief of your situation and history and like some other strategy games, it more or less gives you a hint of where it might be wise to expand first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Reman is pretty good. He doesn't have enough videos yet to be a tutorial unto himself, but they're all pretty clear and informative. For example, here's a guide to the trade system. It's done in an earlier version of EU4, of course, but not much has changed since then and the fundamentals remain the same.

Also, a question: Did this update make Mamluks stronger even if you don't have the paid content? Because they just fought off the Ottomans in my game, which I've never seen without me mucking around in the region.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I think I might be experiencing a bug. I took control of the Cape trade node and got a merchant, as expected. But, suddenly, the extra merchant disappeared. I still have a stranglehold on the node and I even tried removing the trade company and re-establishing it. Still no extra merchant.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

QuarkJets posted:

Could you have lost a merchant somewhere else?

What does your subject screen look like?

Nah, doesn't seem likely--I only have the starting two merchants. Cape was my only extra, bumping me up to three.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

QuarkJets posted:

Check the subject screen anyway; if you hover over the merchant icon for your trade company it should tell you what's going on

Upon loading up:

A second after unpausing:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Allyn posted:

Where's your capital? You have trade companies in both Africa and Asia, but shouldn't be able to have them in the same continent as your capital... Unless you moved it to Europe I'd guess it's because of that -- they should disband when you move capital but maybe it didn't work and now it's bugging out trying to sort that out?

My capital is Taiz. It's in Asia. But I'll see if moving the capital does anything because who knows at this point.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Beamed posted:

If I try to change the ruler's religion to Sunni with the national decision, I take a 2 stab hit and no change takes place. :psyduck:

Hey, what map mods are you using?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

really queer Christmas posted:

Ok I think I figured out why uesugi kept declaring independence. Apparently they changed government to feudal monarchy? Looked through my old saves and they got knocked out and brought back through rebels, so I guess the rebels made them a feudal monarchy instead of daiymo. It doesn’t explain why the other ally would declare independence when I annexed the shogun, but at least there’s some explanation.

I wish that re-forming states had at least a chance to become their original govt type, because that doesn't seem to be the case. It's real annoying when you play in the HRE and oops, free cities just start disappearing, never to return or be replaced.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fister Roboto posted:

One thing I really want them to change is the battle formation algorithms. As it is, there's no way to take advantage of having lots of cavalry without stupid fiddly micromanagement. Let's say you're attacking an army that has a width of 10, and your army has 10 infantry and 10 cavalry. What will happen is that your 10 infantry will line up in front of the enemy's line, four of your cavalry regiments will go on the flanks, and the other six cavalry regiments will do literally nothing. To make matters worse, if you have a 50% inf/cav ration, you'll instantly get the tactics penalty when your infantry take damage. If you actually want your army to fight effectively, you need to split your infantry and cavalry and make sure the cavalry arrive a day before the infantry. It's really dumb and it makes cavalry bonuses a lot less useful than they should be.

Seems like at the very least they should change the cavalry ratio formula. For example, they could make it so that it only calculates the ratio for each army when they enter the battle or that it only affects you mid battle if the ratio gets really out of hand, like you go from 50% to 80%.

Wait, how is ratio calculated now when multiple armies battle? Is the ratio applied based on the pooled infantry and cavalry of each side? What ratio does it use when you've got nations with different ratios fighting? It sounds like an ally could potentially gently caress you for being at their higher ratio limit.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Releasing nations (as part of a treaty) can be useful for AE--but only if it would be easy to vassalize and shares border no one but you and the one releasing it because you two are the only countries with a truce on that new nation.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fister Roboto posted:

If your goal is just to cut another country down to size without incurring too much AE, it's better to cripple them with war exhaustion and devastation and then take a small peace deal, or even a white peace. That way they keep a lot of of the WE and don't get a big revanchism bonus.

I've never had any luck with this, unfortunately.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

I Love You! posted:

That seems to be a pretty big bug

Yeah, I've gotten this bug too. One day my Cape trade company was giving me a merchant; the next, gone. And the subjects tab still claims I'm getting a merchant!

Also, is army professionalism as much of a pain as I think it is? There's a small discount on Cradle of Civilization on green man gaming and it got me thinking.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 27, 2017

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Just completed my "Protect the Secret" game. As Yemen, I was going for "Protect the Secret" along with "Arabian Coffee" as a bonus. It was easier than I expected to make sure that Europe never got any coffee in Africa and Asia, but this was largely due to Spain making GBS threads the bed for the first two centuries of the game. England got complete control of Portugal somehow. I think they conquered them, because when it happened it was too soon for integrating from a Personal Union. England even had North African holdings for a while and WON the hundred year's war. They slowly declined over the following centuries, but the damage was done and it took like forty years for the Colonialism institution to pop off. It also seemed easier to make friends with the Ottos than in other games I've played in the region--usually, the Ottos would eventually freak the gently caress out if you conquered Egypt, but I was able to head them off at Jerusalem and they were just fine with it.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Poil posted:

Got bored so I'm doing an Ainu run where right at the start I tag switched to Ming, console tanked their stability and agreed to the demands of all the separatists to have a fun thunderdome.

:cawg:

Turnabout is fair play.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Hmm, got a mission to make the Ming like me. Not a bad idea, I've got enough enemies right now. I wonder what Asia looks like at the moment...

...Huh. Looks like Ming is having a tribute war with the entire indochinese peninsula and losing.

And the Yan exist. Totally normal.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
So I'm playing Karaman and the option to change to a theocracy popped up. I remember hearing theocracies are good. Is that still and if so, why are they good?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Conquering West Africa as well wouldn't be a bad idea. I think it keeps trade being dragged from South Africa.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

oddium posted:

you can no cb the shogun as ryukyu, offer to become a vassal, and then fight the daimyos like normal. i don't think you get the daimyo cb though because you're not officially a daimyo government

I wonder if I can do this as Ainu. I saw that they now have their own idea group and I want to have my next game be the Glorious Ainu Reconquest of Japan--and Daimyo govt would help a lot.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Check which of your christian provinces will produce Christian and not Separatist rebels, drop a missionary on one that either won't ever convert or will convert very slowly. Then piss them off even more by decreasing the province's autonomy. Maybe do something to tank your stability if the opportunity comes up and it won't cause too many undesired rebels. Then just let the religious rebels take whatever they need to convert you.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Having a bit of an odd game right now. Spain never formed and the Mamluks are steadily regaining land from the Ottos as the 18th century approaches. This is after I kicked the Mamluks' poo poo in. It seems they've been getting good allies a lot this game. Sardinia Piedmont also formed within just a few decades of the start, which seems odd.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Mountaineer posted:

I also saw the AI form Sardinia-Piedmont recently, always a cool thing to see. It's probably a lot more feasible for them to pull off if Aragon dodges the PU with Castille. It's always funny when Castille declines the PU with Aragon, or Poland refuses to PU Lithuania. It's like the AI decides they're just gonna suck this game.

Sardinia-Piedmont is still around, by the way. They've remained a respectable, mid-sized Italian power throughout the whole game and they just lucked into a Personal Union with the remnants of Castille--and their modest colonial empire. I have to admire when AI nations punch above their weight like that.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

oddium posted:

operation Strong Daddy kicking into gear

dithmarschen rules. top 3 starts for me. top 5 maybe actually. but they're cool

This is wonderful. I've been thinking of playing in Japan next game, maybe having the Ainu retake Japan. I understand that if I declare on Kyoto, I can probably get them to vassalize me and become a daimyo. Does liberty desire work differently with daimyos? I hear about people just vasslizing everything. Is it just for the novelty or is it better than, say, conquering all of japan but keeping the daimyo government?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Could you hypothetically start as a daimyo then culture shift to Ainu or is the daimyo govt locked to Japanese?

If that's possible, I'd be fine with it--it'd be like the conquered achieving a cultural victory and eventually taking it all!

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Tahirovic posted:

I nominate Economic/Espionage/Naval.
Put some Eco ideas into Admin, some espionage into diplo/influence and some naval back into quantity, quality already has some ship stuff.

Hell, just do anything to make the diplo groups more attractive and the military/admin groups less mandatory.

All diplo has is Diplomacy (alternatively Influence if for some reason you're going to need to annex a lot of just huge countries, like with personal unions) and Exploration (If you're in a good position to take advantage of it). I sometimes grab Trade as a late pick if I wasn't in a good position for Exploration and I need merchants, but that's it for the diplomacy group.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Just finished an African Power game and I've decided that's the last time I'm doing a game where I conquer a continent. It's just mind-numbing. A few interesting things happened though. For example, Prussia appeared in the early 1600s then slowly began to eat Europe. By game end, they had devoured almost the entirety if the former HRE. I was under the impression that if there was less than a certain number of princes, it just disbanded, but guess not. it was down to three princes and one elector with an itty bitty Austria but it kept on trucking.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Affi posted:

Do you actually sell ships? Is that cheaper then upgrading?

Upgrading is the same price, it's just more convenient.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Consistent among accounts of Europeans who saw Tenochtitlan before it fell is the assertion that there were few cities in Europe that would have been its equal in beauty or size.

Additionally, while it is hard to get solid numbers, we do still have a lot of information such as tribute records. There were something around five hundred cities under the control of the Aztec empire when Cortes began his expedition.

But yeah, population estimates in general have been in contention forever and probably always will be. One reliable estimate I found gives over 1 million in the Valley of Mexico (Tenochtitlan and the cities surrounding it) and an addition 2-3 million in the rest of the empire, but I'm sure others can find equally compelling estimates.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Mann O'War: As Mann, fully blockade Portugal's European provinces.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
It sounds like you can form the English Church as any British Isles nation, so long as certain conditions are met, which is nice.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't disagree that mesoamerica isn't represented very well in EU4, but this stuff in your link is from centuries before the game's start date. The Mayan empire was long dead by 1444.

Well, it does suggest that they had a much higher population when they were an urbanized society than previously thought. Barring an entirely possible drop in population between the classic period and 1444, I don't think it's unlikely that they maintained a high population. Mayan agriculture was generally self-sufficient (but not subsistence) and not really given to the large-scale farming present in other societies, though some exceptions such as cacao tree orchards and long terrace farms were present. Basically what I'm saying is that even if they were no longer urbanized, their food output would likely still be able to support what it had during their urbanized periods.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Kibbles n Shits posted:

What's the bare minimum dogshit graphics card that will run this game acceptably?

It'll run on an integrated graphics card.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Good thing missions trees are a free patch feature.

It is? Then this DLC has nothing to offer me.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
So, aside from the stuff in the British Isles, what countries don't get an entirely generic mission tree? It kind of sounds like they just burned a lot of the country-specific missions for no real reason.

I'm still finishing a game from the last version so I'd have trouble checking.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I've been trying to get an Ideas Guy + For Odin game off the ground and been having trouble. Most of the guides I've seen combine it with First Come First Served and gently caress that (I've already done it anyway). I tried starting out on Mann but it's been rough going.

Any advice?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Well, allies are a big issue. In one of my runs I had a fair bit of success fending off Scotland in early wars since you have a decent chance of beating them at sea. Problem is trying to secure mainland allies. It's sort of the classic problem of the OPM--I need to increase my power to be considered for alliances but that raises my aggressive expansion. At the same time, once I've got an army big enough that I've got a chance of fending off Scotland, England can utterly crush me.

In one run I invested just a bit in development, to get Mann up to ten dev (to get me out of a money hole and help me start building Renaissance). It helped for a bit, but in the end it seems like it just got me further behind.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I think I've managed to get this For Odin game off the ground. Of course, I probably should have checked whether I was eligible for the achievement when I started, but whatever. I noticed in an earlier attempt that for no discernible reason, For Odin sometimes just doesn't appear in the achievements list and that happened this time too. gently caress it, I'll go for it anyway.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Oh god, my For Odin run might be in trouble. It was getting pretty interesting too, with the Arawak getting weirdly powerful in Columbia. Early in the game, France contested Muscovy's attempt to enforce a personal union with Imereti. Now France has had a personal union with Muscovy for like a hundred years and is slowly eating Europe. They've got a decent chunk of Italy and Spain and there's really no one powerful enough to gently caress with them except maybe the Ottomans and they don't feel like allying me. Plus, the French are not too happy with me snapping up choice colonies in the New World. Just a lot of bad luck, I guess.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
This week's Developer's Diary seems to help Republics a bit.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fister Roboto posted:

Right now the institution window adds a mapmode that shows you where certain institutions are present and where they're growing, which is honestly not that useful, since it doesn't tell you anything about progress or growth rate. It would be really cool if it highlighted provinces where an unspawned institution is elgiible to spawn.

God I would love if they showed progress or growth rate, particularly for when Global Trade has spawned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I had a weird glitch I think where the an enemy navy was stuck between leaving the port of a province I'd captured and going out to sea. It was the weirdest thing. For months it would just jitter as if it was like "Wait, I can't be in this port, the province is occupied, I have to go out to sea--but I don't want to go out, it's scary!"